DD Maze4 GPU Fittings SUCK! Is there an alternative?

Rudager

Gawd
These fittings take up all of my pci slots...I was expecting at least one left over for my sound card...but NO...they are all taken. Is anyone using an alternative fitting that can be bought at somewhere besides DD? Or does anyone have any mod ideas to free up a slot?

Rudager said:
These fittings take up all of my pci slots...I was expecting at least one left over for my sound card...but NO...they are all taken. Is anyone using an alternative fitting that can be bought at somewhere besides DD? Or does anyone have any mod ideas to free up a slot?

The problem is not the fittings or the heatsinks.. But the poor spacing on most mobos.. unless you have the new Asus or the DFI expert or the NEW MSI board.. then you will probably have this issue.. Mine does.. But I also dont use any other slots on the mobo..

Captin Insano said:
The problem is not the fittings or the heatsinks.. But the poor spacing on most mobos.. unless you have the new Asus or the DFI expert or the NEW MSI board.. then you will probably have this issue.. Mine does.. But I also dont use any other slots on the mobo..

I do have the new ASUS board...it's not the board...it's the fittings...not the heatsinks, but how the fittings extend and cover the pci slot...

Rudager said:
I do have the new ASUS board...it's not the board...it's the fittings...not the heatsinks, but how the fittings extend and cover the pci slot...

The fittings on the maze 4 should extend perpendicular to the motherboard and shouldn't block any PCI slots that the block itself doesn't cover.

Rudager said:

posting a pic might help us see the light :)

topcat989 said:
posting a pic might help us see the light :)

Ok here's my pic...

IMG_0006.jpg

hmm...from what i'm seeing from your pic, the problem lays in the mounting bolts on the underside of the videocard extending over the middle pci slot.
you could take the second videocard out and cut off the excess bolt. other then changing to some really low profile video coolers like the one's from aqua computer i don't see any other way around your problem.
i had a simuliar problem on my dfi ultra board. I just went with the aqua computer coolers.
low profile, problem solved.
good luck

Ohhh...you mean the installation hardware! Well, there really isn't anything you can do about that unless you create some alternative method to properly attaching the GPU blocks. The board you chose was a poor choice for watercooled SLi anyways as board manufacurers design this board with stock cooling solutions in mind. If you had chosen the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium board, you would have 2 regular PCI slots available.

Well he didn't chose the other board so it's up to us to help the dude out. :p

what i would do is take the acrylic X bracket off the the second videocard. (it's way to thick)
then put the orginal X bracket (which is thinner) on there without the springs,
mark the bolts right below where they will clear the pci slot.
take the card out and remove the bolts from the block
then cut the bolts to size.
then put it back together and try and install your sound card. ;)

Stoney said:
Well he didn't chose the other board so it's up to us to help the dude out. :p

what i would do is take the acrylic X bracket off the the second videocard. (it's way to thick)
then put the orginal X bracket (which is thinner) on there without the springs,
mark the bolts right below where they will clear the pci slot.
take the card out and remove the bolts from the block
then cut the bolts to size.
then put it back together and try and install your sound card. ;)

Not a bad idea...I was thinking about the same thing...however, I like the aesthetic look of the acryllic bracket...but I guess it doesn't matter that much because you won't be able to see it that well because of the reverse form factor of my case...I think this is probably what I'll do...
Thanks, Man.

Heat pipes don't work properly in V series cases. Get an AC system and you won't have those clearance type problems. :D

Top Nurse said:
Heat pipes don't work properly in V series cases. Get an AC system and you won't have those clearance type problems. :D

Well I am at least considering AC GPU Coolers

Rudager said:
Ok here's my pic...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/Rudager56/IMG_0006.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

christ, with the DD GPU you lose either slot becuase of it's profile, or it's mounting system. that sucks! :eek:

good luck dude, only thing i know is to go to different blocks. I'll be using the aquacomputer gpu+ram coolers, as they will not take up a slot either side. I have the same mobo. I understand you want to solve your problem with the blocks you have, the only other thing i can think of is to pull the springs on the blocks and use shorter screws, so that the mounting system doesn't block a slot. good luck :)

Yeah man I think I'm through with DangerDen...they have great performance but more to be desired when design comes into play

Hmmm.. Funny to see how a crummy lay out from a board manufacture becomes the problem of the water cooling company.. If you were Using vid cards that had to have DUAL card slots say like the 7800GTX 512 cards you wouldnt be able to touch those spots as well. It really helps when a mobo manufacture thinks ahead of time. I have the same cooling solution on my 7800gtx's and I have NO interference with my stuff.. BUT i did use a different board that layed things out better. (even though i dont use any additional slots) But hey.. your choice. Just be sure to put the blame where it really belongs.. ON the Mobo manufacture.

Captin Insano said:
Hmmm.. Funny to see how a crummy lay out from a board manufacture becomes the problem of the water cooling company.. If you were Using vid cards that had to have DUAL card slots say like the 7800GTX 512 cards you wouldnt be able to touch those spots as well. It really helps when a mobo manufacture thinks ahead of time. I have the same cooling solution on my 7800gtx's and I have NO interference with my stuff.. BUT i did use a different board that layed things out better. (even though i dont use any additional slots) But hey.. your choice. Just be sure to put the blame where it really belongs.. ON the Mobo manufacture.

I think you need to read the thread. :rolleyes:

What he is talking about is the long ass screws/bolts that take up the PCI slots above the cards. All the other cooling solutions seem more then able to mount their hardware to the card without taking up both the PCI slot above and below the card.

The has nothing to do with the motherboard layout.

Ominous Gamer said:
I think you need to read the thread. :rolleyes:

What he is talking about is the long ass screws/bolts that take up the PCI slots above the cards. All the other cooling solutions seem more then able to mount their hardware to the card without taking up both the PCI slot above and below the card.

The has nothing to do with the motherboard layout.

Maybe you need to read my post again. I have the same cooling set up as the orignal poster does on my DUAL 7800GTX's and I have ZERO.. No ..None.. Zip of interferance with any slots on my mobo at all. Why you ask. Cause I picked a board layout thats smarter and did not put things in the area of those items so they could be blocked.. Look at his pics and see where they put those slots..Above and in the middle of the PCIE slots. Thats retarded and just not smart. A lil proper planning on the Mobo manufactures part makes all the difference. Like I staed before if he were using cards that had DUAL slot sized factory air cooling Like the 7800GTX 512 cards use from the factory the slots would be blocked by even those coolers.. I would be willing to bet that DD is not the only manufacture that will have those problems..It still boils down to proper layout ahead of time.

Captin Insano said:
Maybe you need to read my post again. I have the same cooling set up as the orignal poster does on my DUAL 7800GTX's and I have ZERO.. No ..None.. Zip of interferance with any slots on my mobo at all. Why you ask. Cause I picked a board layout thats smarter and did not put things in the area of those items so they could be blocked.. Look at his pics and see where they put those slots..Above and in the middle of the PCIE slots. Thats retarded and just not smart. A lil proper planning on the Mobo manufactures part makes all the difference. Like I staed before if he were using cards that had DUAL slot sized factory air cooling Like the 7800GTX 512 cards use from the factory the slots would be blocked by even those coolers.. I would be willing to bet that DD is not the only manufacture that will have those problems..It still boils down to proper layout ahead of time.

Well I see what you're saying...but DangerDen still needs to have smarter installation hardware...it may be good for taking a card on and off a block when it's still in a loop but I really would rather have a free PCI slot that isn't filled by stupid long-ass screws that could be shorter

Captin Insano said:
Look at his pics and see where they put those slots..Above and in the middle of the PCIE slots. Thats retarded and just not smart. A lil proper planning on the Mobo manufactures part makes all the difference. Like I staed before if he were using cards that had DUAL slot sized factory air cooling Like the 7800GTX 512 cards use from the factory the slots would be blocked by even those coolers..

I can't believe I had to open paint to explain this, but the slot he is referring to is where it is because of Asus's planning for dual slot coolers. In fact a dual slot cooler would not infact take up this slot. Its the retarded back plate + bolts that DD uses.

Now if you don't have any slots being blocked by your bolts, that means one of a few things things. You have only 1 PCI-express slot, the board simply didn't include any connections there (making your point moot), or you are using an older design which has been linked to heat issues since it leaves only 1 slot between cards (causing the bolts and block of the different cards to block the same slot).

img00065ca.jpg

:rolleyes:

I do understand what you are saying. Have you thought to call them and ask their suggestions. I know them all quite very well and they are very helpfull and nice folks. Its feedback from us the users that help them make revisons and changes to better their products for or needs. I would give Dennis or Jeremy there a shout and ask if they have any solutions or suggestions. Like I said atleast making them aware of it they can do the set up and dseigning differently.

Ominous Gamer said:
I can't believe I had to open paint to explain this, but the slot he is referring to is where it is because of Asus's planning for dual slot coolers. In fact a dual slot cooler would not infact take up this slot. Its the retarded back plate + bolts that DD uses.

Now if you don't have any slots being blocked by your bolts, that means one of a few things things. You have only 1 PCI-express slot, the board simply didn't include any connections there (making your point moot), or you are using an older design which has been linked to heat issues since it leaves only 1 slot between cards (causing the bolts and block of the different cards to block the same slot).

img00065ca.jpg

:rolleyes:

OK.. The pic you are looking at is Upsidedown of the real orentation of the board layout.(not being a smart ass. Just stating) so YES where you circled there would be interferance by the card above(if you turn pic over) if using a Dual slot cooling solution like i have mentioned..Look to the right of your pic and see the slots made into the case.. its real close. As well you know it may not completly cover up that slot BUT you would not be able to run anything in it due to covering the fans on the vid cards and causing them to overheat. And as I dont care about any other slots then the ones for videocards..for me its not an issue so yes it does make for my situation a moot point. But I can name a board that has dual card clearance..and it is a older SLI board. The Asus A8N SLI Deluxe. So once again I still say layout means everything.

Captin Insano said:
. And as I dont care about any other slots then the ones for videocards..for me its not an issue so yes it does make for my situation a moot point. But I can name a board that has dual card clearance..and it is a older SLI board. The Asus A8N SLI Deluxe. So once again I still say layout means everything.

I've had two cards with dual slots in this puppy and there is still clearance enough for one pci card

5e57fb66.jpg

See...and they did not definitely overheat

Just a thought. Could you substitute barrel nuts? I am guessing the bolts are 10-24. You could also substitute the springs for shorter ones. Here is the URL to McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com
They have lots of stuff. Sell retail and prices are reasonable (although you might have to purchase a set quantity (usually like ten or so) if the parts are small. They also do custom springs if you cannot find one from there rather numerous selection.
Also, would it be possible to invert the mounts? That is (relative to the picture), put the springs on top with the block? The block is already covering a slot.

JustKidding said:
Just a thought. Could you substitute barrel nuts? I am guessing the bolts are 10-24. You could also substitute the springs for shorter ones. Here is the URL to McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com
They have lots of stuff. Sell retail and prices are reasonable (although you might have to purchase a set quantity (usually like ten or so) if the parts are small. They also do custom springs if you cannot find one from there rather numerous selection.
Also, would it be possible to invert the mounts? That is (relative to the picture), put the springs on top with the block? The block is already covering a slot.

Hmm I would have to try call DangerDen and get the exact specs on the hardware...but that just might work if I can get an exact thread matching for the screws...oh and it wouldn't work to put the springs on the top...the screws...umm..screw into the acetal top which makes up most of the block...so I don't want to drill any holes into that.

Ah and thanks for that tip btw...I never thought of McMaster-Carr

Pleasure! :)
I have to ask.. What is that thing on the bottom of your Vid card? (that the mounting springs apparently use for support). Is it part of the active cooler or just a mount?

I have to throw this in. as long as your calling DD. Find out what the load range is for the springs. Then see if you can find a 'Wave or Disk Spring' that comes close. that would really cut down on the space. :)

JustKidding said:
Pleasure! :)
I have to ask.. What is that thing on the bottom of your Vid card? (that the mounting springs apparently use for support). Is it part of the active cooler or just a mount?

Ah it's just a stupid acryllic plate that really doesn't do all that much and is way too thick...it says DD on it. AH and thanks for the spring advice...'ppreciate it

Back