DD Black Ice Extreme 2 HELP!!!

Vegasr

Gawd
Just got the DD BIX 2 with the 1/2 fittings and 1/2 barbs. Problem is that the barbs are EXTREMELY tight to screw in. I cannot use just my fingers as it goes one with 1 full turn and then stops. I would have to use a wrench with some very hard turns to get it in.

Is this normal???

Thanks

I had to use a wrench to put the barbs in my Swiftech MCR220.

I would also recommend plumbers tape around the fittings so it doesn't leak, just because it's tight, doesn't mean it won't leak.

I think you'll find this is because DD went to 1/4" BSP fittings which is slightly different than 1/4" NSPT which is what the radiator bungs are tapped with.

Well, so far it sounds normal. I would hate to get the wrench and tighten it up and ruin something. You wouldn't think that is whats called for.
I'd like to get it installed today but thinking about waiting and calling DD tomorrow just incase.

Any others with same experience?

Thanks

Vegasr said:
Well, so far it sounds normal. I would hate to get the wrench and tighten it up and ruin something. You wouldn't think that is whats called for.
I'd like to get it installed today but thinking about waiting and calling DD tomorrow just incase.

Any others with same experience?

Thanks
Think of it as a virgin, you'll do good, go for it ;)

Just installed my black ice... indeed the barbs are quite difficult on the first try... I think it is the paint in the threads... I too was just a tad skeptical of the barbs, but I just took a short piece of masterkleer and used it to torque the barbs - I figure if they got really out of whack the tube would slip... but it didn't. They finally bit through the paint and screwed in...just make sure you have the correct barbs - my first BIP 2 shipped with two completely different barbs.

"Think of it as a virgin, you'll do good, go for it"

Bwahahahahahahahahaha awe that woke me up this morning :D

Adidas4275 said:
be care full.... you could have G1/4 fittings and not BSP

G1/4 IS BSPP. It's a European standard and that's the thread on the barbs DD sells now. I don't think that the BIE or BIP went to BSPP and as a result they don't fit quite right until you use enough force to turn the threads.

Well, I just called Danger Den and was told that they got a batch of defective barbs and they would ship me out the right ones. Hmm, what a major PITA.
If they knew some were supposedly defective, why would then not check each one before they ship them out.
Sounds as if I did get sent the wrong style fittings. He didn't say to just tighten them up and that they would eventually screw in all the way. So I'm glad I waited, but now I'll have to wait another 4 days.
You would think they would overnight them to me, and when I asked, it was like out of the quesiton. Oh well.

Thanks for all the replies and I'll try and post pics installing me setup.

Thanks again

Good thing you called to get that sorted out. You definetly do not want to screw in something that doesn't thread in easily. If it does not go in easy, that means it was made improperly, the threads need to be cleaned and lubricated, or it is the wrong type/size thread all together. If you do force it in, that will cause cross threading and big problems down the road, if not right away. You'll get leaks for sure and have problems taking it apart if you ever have to in the futue.

w1retap said:
Good thing you called to get that sorted out. You definetly do not want to screw in something that doesn't thread in easily. If it does not go in easy, that means it was made improperly, the threads need to be cleaned and lubricated, or it is the wrong type/size thread all together. If you do force it in, that will cause cross threading and big problems down the road, if not right away. You'll get leaks for sure and have problems taking it apart if you ever have to in the futue.

Agreed... if the threads are a little rough, at bare minimum you should run a tap through. *Sometimes* you can get away with just threading it in anyway, but chances are you'll weaken/ruin the threads. Then you're screwed.

Back