(DCS World developer) jailed and charged with smuggling fighter jet manuals to Moscow

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Russian DCS World developer Oleg Mikhaylovich Tishchenko was arrested for smuggling fighter jet manuals for the F-16, F-22, and other front-line aircraft in a conspiracy that started back in 2011. The local newspaper where the man was arrested is reporting that he is scheduled to go to trial on August 19. The Standard Examiner details the plot and subsequent investigation leading to his arrest in detail.

upload_2019-5-14_16-25-44.png

A Russian is jailed in Weber County, charged with smuggling F-16 fighter manuals to Moscow and trying to obtain guides for other front-line Air Force jets.

Oleg Mikhaylovich Tishchenko is scheduled to go on trial Aug. 19 in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City on charges of conspiring against the United States, smuggling and violating the Arms Export Control Act.

Tishchenko was arraigned and pleaded not guilty March 15.

He was charged in a sealed indictment June 15, 2016, but could not be arrested until this year after he traveled to Georgia and that nation agreed to extradite him. Russia does not have an extradition treaty with the United States.

U.S. Magistrate Brooke Wells in an April 10 detention order deemed Tishchenko to present a “serious flight risk” because he has no local ties, is accused of smuggling classified information and could face 10 years or more in prison if convicted.

U.S. marshals took Tishchenko to Ogden, where the federal agency has a contract to place pretrial detainees in the Weber County Jail.

The indictment and extradition affidavits filed in court do not explain the case’s connection to Utah, other than prosecutors’ statement that the alleged conspiracy occurred here in part.

However, court documents said U.S. Air Force special agents participated in the investigation, and all of the technical manuals listed in the case relate to jets that have been based or maintained at Hill Air Force Base: All models of the F-16, plus the F-35, F-22 and A-10.

Maybe he was just trying to ensure the simulated versions of the aircraft were accurate and true-to-life :cautious:.

This is crazy , F-16 manuals are available on the net and eBay and not to mention plenty of countries operate the F-16
and also, its legal for some U.S citizen to buy those , but illegal if he sends it abroad like its some illegal arms sell

anyway, this is the formal response from Eagle Dynamics:

Lausanne, 14 May 2019.

The Eagle Dynamics group, headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirms that one of its employees has been jailed in the State of Utah (USA) on charges of seeking to procure, export and sell restricted US fighter jet manuals, in particular the F-16.

Eagle Dynamics confirms that it was not involved in any way in the actions of its employee who acted in a purely private context and for his own personal interests.

The Company develops all of its DCS aircraft game modules exclusively on the basis of publicly available information and has never used nor tried to obtain any classified information.

The Company launched an internal investigation into the actions of its employee, and found nothing in the company's records that relates to the facts that are being held against him. The investigation confirmed in particular that no company resources were used and that no export restricted documents were obtained or stored within the company's systems. Furthermore, the Company confirms that the employee was not involved in any of the work or research pertaining to the development of the Company's upcoming F-16 module.

The development of the F-16 and other modules currently in the pipeline will continue in order to further enhance the simulation experience of DCS World. These events will not affect Eagle Dynamics' commitment to its users and faithful community.

Thank you,
Matt Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics SA

This is common for most DCS devs to do. Especially the Russians will make US jets without a license agreement etc and other companies to make Russian aircraft the same way.

The employee acting for "personal interests" but the F-16 is in the DCS dev pipeline... Right...

The employee acting for "personal interests" but the F-16 is in the DCS dev pipeline... Right...

Yeah, seems like a typical let's throw him under the bus to distance the company from the case.

I'm going to assume this means DCS F-16 will be delayed or cancelled. Very few combat aircraft can be simulated, and practically nothing modern for obvious reasons. The licensing fees and government red tape is a massive hindrance.

But very doubtful ED has any involvement beyond possibly this individual. They make a lot of money off of government contracts and A-10C was largely made for the Air National Guard/USAF who officially uses or used DCS A-10C as a training simulator. They also have received many contracts from the Russian military. If you're getting legitimate business with such entities I doubt they'd try to sneak stuff through the back door.

Interestingly, apparently the Russian government is more tight lipped about modern Russian aircraft which is why they haven't done anything since the KA-50 and that basic proper trainer plane.

Edit: I assume some of these manuals and whatnot might fall under ITAR? Even shipping a piece of plastic up to Canada can be heavily restricted so I assume technical manuals can easily fall into that.

Last edited:
headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland :rolleyes: well if making weapons of destruction dident say a little about your company, then where their HQ is located sure do ( to me t least )

Definitely looking forward to seeing the F-16c in DCS World. I hope the prepurchase goes through, I am most likely buying it just because of my nostalgia for the Falcon 4.0 flight sim. I still have my original 3 ring binder version of the manual/box. :)

Back