DC_Final, BF:V, BF2, and aircraft...

Tenchi4U

¡el papa grande
Greetings all, I played BF1942 a whole lot back when it came out. Loved the game. Didn't play DC_Final all too much b/c it was buggy at the time and I moved on to other FPSes (CoD, FarCry, UT2K4, etc).

Fast forward to the present. I got into a interesting convo with my boss (an avid gamer as myself), we got to talking about BF2 and how excited he was about the whole aircraft because he was great at flying (had a flight stick and all) and went on about how it was a HUGE part of the game that I apparently missed (due to lack of time, lack of flightstick, new games, etc).

I suppose my question to you all is, will the aircraft in games like Desert Combat & BF:Vietnam every come close to ground troops in terms of point possibility and opponent engagement frequency?

I'm just trying to see if it would be worth my time to become good at flying (which would entail purchasing a flightstick (probably a Saitek Cyborg EVO) for BF2, or should I just continue to use ground troops and land vehicles (which I am good at). It just seems kind of boring to be flying around when all your friends are on the ground. I've always felt I'd leave flying to all the flight sim games, where all you do is fly.

Yes the air combat did posses a vital role in both dc and bfv. I saw mainly the helicopters as the most important. If you have a few good pilots on your team, you are sure to win. BFV got to the point where everyone would just fight for the helis wich sucked ass. I am a ground pounder at heart and took the advantage to fight on the ground at all cost, but sometimes you just have to be in the air to win the battle. I would say yes learn to fly, and dont worry about your friends, they will thank you when you fire that rocket that saves thier asses on the ground. :)

JEEVES

oh and I am giddy with anticipation in bf2. They need to hurry up and release it.

Someone on the ground that has skill at what is needed of that position (catching/protecting flags, dropping the enemy's tickets, etc.) is just as important, if not more important, than anyone flying in the air. You've probably witnessed this with all of your playing, such as, a team that is made up of mostly groundpounders with just a few trying to fly, usually wins the matches.

If you're good at groundpounding and enjoy it, then don't worry about flying.

I enjoyed being on the ground and making a real difference. The only time I would fly a plane/jet/chopper would be to get from point A to point B quickly, bail out and try to catch a flag.

Badger_sly said:
Someone on the ground that has skill at what is needed of that position (catching/protecting flags, dropping the enemy's tickets, etc.) is just as important, if not more important, than anyone flying in the air. You've probably witnessed this with all of your playing, such as, a team that is made up of mostly groundpounders with just a few trying to fly, usually wins the matches.

If you're good at groundpounding and enjoy it, then don't worry about flying.

I enjoyed being on the ground and making a real difference. The only time I would fly a plane/jet/chopper would be to get from point A to point B quickly, bail out and try to catch a flag.

Just wanted to agree with this post. No battle will ever be won without skilled groundpounders to influence the hold on territory. While the mobility and firepower of aircraft is a nice combat multiplier, there are some things they can not accomplish (ie - clearing buildings, provide intel without being obvious, etc.)

I was in a pilots only clan for a while in bfv. Helicpoters capture flags just as good if not better than on ground. plus trying to capture a point when a heli is flying in is a pain in the ass. There realy isnt a ground weapon that can take a heli down with one shot (wich I am hoping is fixed in bf2). Air superiority wins games. (try fighting 3 helis capturing a point, 2 cover 1 capture).

JEEVES

I'll probably learn to fly as a way of adding an extra dimension to my gameplay (and add to replay value - I'm tired of killing all my friend's in the same fashion round after round :p)

I can see the advantages of both, but I am thoroughly proficient as a groundpounder/ground vehicle person. Learning to fly will just open up another option to me.

I too used to use aircraft as a expedient means of transportation. I'd usually jump into one, try to fly it semi straight (w/ keyboard & mouse) aim it for an enemy and bail out once I got to where I wanted to go.

Plus, some maps I can see where air power would help a LOT and some maps where it wouldn't do so much. So atleast I could become a more dynamic player for my team.

Thanks, keep the opinions coming.

BF2 needs to HTFU!

In BF and DC, if you controlled the skies with a good pilot, it was hard to get around anywhere.

I think it's more balanced in BF2 with the AA but the principle is still the same. I say go for the flight stick.

I now play in the 21CW (a minimod of DC and DCX) tournament and have a blast. My division has their own dedicated air force and if we didn't have such a unit, the opposition air force would walk all over us. Granted we have stingers, SA-19 Pantsyr trucks, M-163 Vulcans, and custom coalition AA guns....it is still difficult to attack and hold with their airforce flying around.

I'm still a big bf1942 fan. I don't get to game much and last Friday I finally had a chance to enjoy some bf1942 and rtcw:et for while. I think those are my 2 favorite games online. Great memories and fun.
Sorry about the rambling...
I've kind of dropped interest in the DC mod and I find myself enjoying classic bf1942 again. Reason being is I don't have a joystick and while I can fly planes pretty decent, forget about flying a heli with a mouse. I prefer sticking to the ground anyway and more of a tank man. I got tired of getting creamed in DC by all these guys flying around and bombing me. It gets a little ridiculous in DC. So I went back to classic bf1942 and realized I actually like it better than DC. The game is more geared toward ground assault and the planes in classic bf1942 are fairly easy to control and at least ground folk have a chance against air assault. The tanks don't quite handle as nice as DC, but it's still great fun.
The sweetest kills are when I shoot down a plane bearing down on me with a tank round.

I suggest that if you want to get good at flying you start a server in COOP mode and fly against bots. They aren't that difficult but can fly planes well. It will also prevent you from ruining the game for others that might want to fly the planes you are practicing with. Soon enough you'll be dog-fighting with the best of the them in Coral Sea.

Of course, it's all about the Apache in Gazala. Canyon surfing is great fun!

http://www.freepgs.com/jeriko_cherry/heli-of-a-trip.zip

Don't let the others fool you, anyone can fly with a Keyboard, Keyboard+Mouse, Joystick, Trackball, or any other input device. It's just a matter of control. Some are better than others, the Trackball being the best for flying Heli's ;) , but you certainly don't need a super-duper Joystick to enjoy the planes or helis.

Aside from the NFZ maps in Desert Combat, there isn't a single map in the game that can be won from the air. Ground forces are critical.

In fact, good ground-play can negate aerial assaults (I rock the shit out of airplanes/helicopters with my Howitzer).

Aerial play is fun, but it isn't what is essential to winning. Add to that the fact that most people simply camp for these vehicles and you are just dying to attract an enemy sniper (I love nothing better than to pick off the idiots who constantly respawn at their hangar. Jumping won't save you, bitches.)

Or just kick out 20 bux and get a decent Saitek cyborg 3d gold stick... great controller for the price.

Assuming that sticks are the best for flight is a common mistake.

I've seen people who fly using nothing but the keyboard that can absolutely devastate anyone in the sky.

I can do a 180* spin and land on a dime using all helicopters with nothing but the keyboard. You've just got to learn to recognize and compensate for inertia. I don't fly fighters as much so I'm not really privvy to how well I could use them (I am absolutely lethal in a bomber, however, if I have good cover from the enemy fighter). I typically destroy the armanents of an entire base with two runs (Straight down from the clouds, U-turn back up into the clouds, U-turn back down, finish base armanents off).

The art of dogfighting is very specific. Don't fly around in a circle chasing your opponents tail...any decent fighter will kill you within seconds if you use that move.

Learn the basics of flight offline. When you go online, you will have a platform to learn tactics with. Most administrators have gotten to the point where they will simply boot people who camp and fly aerial vehicles into mountains within seconds of entering them. It ruins the whole game dynamic.

Coming from one of the Top 3 DC teams. Air is 100% needed. I was rated best tanker for awhile but as of now I stoped playing DC. Becoming a good pilot is tough though you really have to learn to play competion style to get good. Come play on TWL/CAL leagues and see!

I hope they get flight modeling on par with il2/locon or at least close to it.

Thanks all for the input.

I've decided to give it (flying) a go and even bought a Saitek Cyborg Evo to learn on (I prefer sticks when playing flying games).

I've selected Battlefield Vietnam as my flight trainer to get ready for BF2 (since it has faster aircraft and a better selection of helicopters than BF1942). I would do DC, but I've heard since it is a mod, the control can be a bit finnicky in mirroring the game designers original flight formula. Unless there is a DC type mod for BF Vitenam, I'd rather not have to reinstall both.

Just remember your groundpounder roots........ if your team needs you on the ground.

Please don't become a plane/chopper camper. They are always the elite dummies in the BF games.

Tenchi4U said:
Thanks all for the input.

I've decided to give it (flying) a go and even bought a Saitek Cyborg Evo to learn on (I prefer sticks when playing flying games).

I've selected Battlefield Vietnam as my flight trainer to get ready for BF2 (since it has faster aircraft and a better selection of helicopters than BF1942). I would do DC, but I've heard since it is a mod, the control can be a bit finnicky in mirroring the game designers original flight formula. Unless there is a DC type mod for BF Vitenam, I'd rather not have to reinstall both.

Check out Point of Existence mod for BFV, modern combat like DC. The BFV heli's are suppose to be more like BF2 than like DC but not completely.

Badger_sly said:
Just remember your groundpounder roots........ if your team needs you on the ground.

Please don't become a plane/chopper camper. They are always the elite dummies in the BF games.
Not to worry, I will always play games like CS:S (which is my current favorite) & FarCry. Plus being a groundpounder is too much damn fun to ever give up. I will NEVER stop being grunt.

Anybody can kill a guy from 1000 meters away with a sidewinder, but it takes a real man to get in your grill and cap you in the head with a sidearm (and then proceed to shoot up the corpse for fun). :D

Like I said before, I'm just try it out to add another skill I can use if need be. Plus once I get enough hits on the aircraft I'm in I'm gonna most likely kamikaze it and bail out, then its groundpounder Tenchi4U back in action (and probably searching for an enemy tank to steal). :p

thanks for the link to Point of Existence, I'll check it out when I get home.

I highly recommend flying, it's quite fun. However you don't need to spend much money to do so well. I picked up an old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick at Goodwill for $2.00 and it serves me quite well in BF1942.

yeah, I score the Saitek for $20 shipped in "like new" condition. I like to have decent (not quite the best, not quite the worst) equipment.

Few people believe me, but honestly, and I've played BF1942 since Wake Demo and I own BF42 and BFV plus all expansions... the Trackball is the best instrument for flying vehicles in the game, especially helicopters. A joystick just doesn't allow you to over-compensate like a flick of my thumb can do with my trackball. It definitely takes some getting use to, but once you practice enough you'll have a hard time using anything else.

I play DC a bit (a lot more before) and i never had a joystick to fly. I always used my keyboard to fly (yes it sucks but i am quite good now). I highly recommend getting a joystick, because it will be easier to fly and faster to learn. Using a keyboard is quite hard and does take a while to learn, unless ur pro.

I play Desert Combat every day and just got out of a top-ranked TWL clan. I can't speak to BF:V, but in DC if you don't have a solid air force you lose, simple as that. Yes, you need ground pounders to go in and turn flags but whoever controls the air generally wins. Bombers are devastating if left unchecked; a good pilot will drop in and wreck your entire strike force in one pass. A single skilled bomber pilot can prevent any armor units from even leaving your base while his teammates capture all the control points. As a fighter pilot my job is to shut down the enemy bombers and protect my own. Any dogfights with other fighterjets are incidental.

AceTKK said:
I play Desert Combat every day and just got out of a top-ranked TWL clan. I can't speak to BF:V, but in DC if you don't have a solid air force you lose, simple as that. Yes, you need ground pounders to go in and turn flags but whoever controls the air generally wins. Bombers are devastating if left unchecked; a good pilot will drop in and wreck your entire strike force in one pass. A single skilled bomber pilot can prevent any armor units from even leaving your base while his teammates capture all the control points. As a fighter pilot my job is to shut down the enemy bombers and protect my own. Any dogfights with other fighterjets are incidental.

What do you use to control your aircraft then, joystick?

I use a joystick; MS Sidewinder Precision Pro that I got off of e-bay for $2.00. Prior to getting this stick I've gone through 3 new Logitech sticks in less than two months. They all started drifting / rolling almost immediately and were returned. I've had this 2 dollar stick for almost a year and it's held up beautifully. If you're buying a stick for BF, DC, BF:V be sure to get one that has a rotating handle for rudder controls.

-Ace-

^^^ Yeah, I got the Saitek Cyborg Evo (it has rudder control). I got it because it is adjustable (buttons and handrest) and got pretty high marks from most review sites (plus it was $20 shipped).

Also, on BF Vietnam with the Point of Existence mod I can't get it to run.

I d/l'ed the full 3.0 client and the client 3.2 incremental, but I don't know how to start it. Do I need to d/l the server and create a server and to play against bots (like CSS)?

You can connect to any server running a POE map and BFV will automatically "switch" to the POE mod. Test it at 65.171.80.195, standard port.

Heh, I love the Helis in DC. They do ALOT to cover the ground pounders. In CTF maps my friend Jasper and I can get in a transport Heli and cap flags all day long. I'll fly him in over the Enemy's base and he'll bail and grab the flag, I circle around and pick him up and BICKETY BAM instant flag cap. Usually helps if we got a friendly fighter/combat heli pilot covering our escape too. I used to use a Joystick for flying in DC, but now I can use the mouse to much better effect than I could ever do with the joystick.

Beware when I'm in the AH-6 Little bird, I'll cap points and take out just about all infantry. All the while I'm humming Wagner Apocalypse now style!

Tenchi4U said:
Greetings all, I played BF1942 a whole lot back when it came out. Loved the game. Didn't play DC_Final all too much b/c it was buggy at the time and I moved on to other FPSes (CoD, FarCry, UT2K4, etc).

Fast forward to the present. I got into a interesting convo with my boss (an avid gamer as myself), we got to talking about BF2 and how excited he was about the whole aircraft because he was great at flying (had a flight stick and all) and went on about how it was a HUGE part of the game that I apparently missed (due to lack of time, lack of flightstick, new games, etc).

I suppose my question to you all is, will the aircraft in games like Desert Combat & BF:Vietnam every come close to ground troops in terms of point possibility and opponent engagement frequency?

I'm just trying to see if it would be worth my time to become good at flying (which would entail purchasing a flightstick (probably a Saitek Cyborg EVO) for BF2, or should I just continue to use ground troops and land vehicles (which I am good at). It just seems kind of boring to be flying around when all your friends are on the ground. I've always felt I'd leave flying to all the flight sim games, where all you do is fly.

man, BF1942 was all about the vehicles - it had rubbish first-person shooting, and if you recall the maps were huge and it tooka long time to get anywhere, and in my case you ended up dead as soon as you saw someone (56k on a 2.4Ghz no HT intel and 32mb integrated graphics :D).

Seriously, the vehicles are where it's at in the BF games. So much so, in fact, that you get annoying little shitcuskers camping helipads waiting for it to respawn, shooting anyone who dares take it instead of them.

no offense to whoever was flying...but ive seen much better canyon surfing...
/offtopic

helos are a big part of the game...jets are less of a big part but still play a role in the game...SU and A-10 take out tanks...and the fighter jets take those out

apaches and hinds are great against tanks, and are vounerable to jet fire and infantry fire (RPG/Stinger)

if you learn how to use each vehicle in the game effectively you can easily win against any opponent

except at these servers:
http://www.21stssclan.com/
try to get the top spot there flying an apache (its all apache/ground troops, no jets...and a few hinds here and there)

Back