DayZ $29.99

So umm are zombies broken/not implemented yet?

I've only saw two of them (on two different servers), and they literally just stand there....

I ran up to one, punched it 50 times, it didn't die or anything, then I just walked away. Same with the other.

I have also found 0 loot after playing a few hours, every building is empty, even out in the middle of no where.

Obviously people here have not been following the development of the game at all. To say that nothing has been accomplished is silly because Rocket has consistantly posted about the work being done on the game for the last year and a half. Most of the buildings are enterable now, they rebuilt all the character models/skeletons/animation system, and built a new zombie AI system from scratch. For 18 months of development that's no small task. The game isn't finished it's in alpha. This is just a chance for people who are really excited to get in at a low price point and play the game early (yes you get the full game if you buy alpha now).
Yeah, most people posting here aren't following what's going on. For those people that are truly interested, watch the E3 interview with Rocket. A major back end conversion was done for the standalone game so it's capable of RPG style game play. This wasn't possible with an Arma 2 mod. When asked what the standalone game has in common with Arma 2, he said, "the sky." That should give you a small taste of how different the mechanics of the standalone game are from the mod.

Yes to both of you, there is a lot of misinformation going around in this thread. If you think the Standalone Alpha is "the same" as or "worse than" the Mod Alpha, then you haven't played much of either. There is a big red box that pops up everytime you play the Standalone Alpha that basically says "You are an idiot if you bought this, proceed with extreme caution" and you must click "I Understand" to continue...everyone who is experiencing issues with the game is seeing the development of an ALPHA version of a game and has absolutely no right to complain about anything, they've been warned many, many times that the ALPHA was going to be broken and (in some ways) unusable until more work was performed.

buzzbomb couldnt have said it any better.

BTW going into DayZ alone.. is f*in stupid. You will get lost, you wont learn from others, you will suffer.

I hated the first 2hrs of it. Then I learned to GTF out of Cherno the second I spawn. The coast is BARE. Go inland!

The game is in alpha so loot isn't their main concern. The less chance of coming across another player, the better the chances are for loot.

Loot right now doesnt spawn the second a player spawn.

IT'S ALPHA!

Game rocks BTW!

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...go play CoD. :cool:

I believe he meant the zombies run inside now, yeah? They always were able to enter buildings, they were just polite enough not to run in the house :p

This was me in Berenzino earlier. Wearing a Mask, which I thought was neat. I've seen 3 different ones so far.

2013_12_21_00001.jpg

Loving it so far, I traveled the west. Up through Zelengorsk, north of the NWAF and then traveled east all the way to Kransostav then to Guba Bay and looked at that new town. Check out the NEAF. Then traveled to Polana. After Polana I went to berenzino to scope it out. So far the map is awesome. After hundreds of hours in the DayZ mod. I know the map like the back of my hand, so seeing the new stuff added is exciting to me.

Yes to both of you, there is a lot of misinformation going around in this thread. If you think the Standalone Alpha is "the same" as or "worse than" the Mod Alpha, then you haven't played much of either. There is a big red box that pops up everytime you play the Standalone Alpha that basically says "You are an idiot if you bought this, proceed with extreme caution" and you must click "I Understand" to continue...everyone who is experiencing issues with the game is seeing the development of an ALPHA version of a game and has absolutely no right to complain about anything, they've been warned many, many times that the ALPHA was going to be broken and (in some ways) unusable until more work was performed.
You're completely right. However, keep in mind how in the past decade, developers have became extremely loose with the title alpha and beta and giving players access to such thing. Modern gamers see alpha and beta tag and think it's a finished game with just a few tweaks to make. These gamers have been groomed to behave this way. Even with the warning box, you know many people don't read that stuff, they just click through until they get into the game.

You're completely right. However, keep in mind how in the past decade, developers have became extremely loose with the title alpha and beta and giving players access to such thing. Modern gamers see alpha and beta tag and think it's a finished game with just a few tweaks to make. These gamers have been groomed to behave this way. Even with the warning box, you know many people don't read that stuff, they just click through until they get into the game.

what... are you saying most gamers are stupid? or just insulting humanity as a whole? lol

I wonder how many poor unknowing souls are going to be suckered into buying this unrefined game based on a horrifically shitty engine that has the same crippling multiplayer problems with each iteration of it and hasn't been fixed since 2001 .....just because of all the zombie hype. SMH at $29.99...

I don't think anyone's trying to sucker anyone, considering this is what's on the Steam store page:
WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.
Add to that Dean Hall tweeting daily about how people probably shouldn't be buying the game, and most certainly shouldn't be buying the higher-priced variant on Bohemia's own store. If they're really trying to sucker people into buying it, they're doing a terrifically awful job at it.

The good part about it being $30 is the developers sold a ton of copies and have a bunch of money to work on the game. The bad part is that is about twice the price that I am willing to pay for it. I'll just have to wait.

In no other game but DayZ can you find a lonely player, capture them by gunpoint, handcuff them and feed them your choice of loot you've picked up. I've fed a poor lad a bottle of disinfectant spray. But that was after I checked his blood type and IV'd some blood from him.

All while he was screaming over mic asking me to leave him alone. You can be so evil in this game, it's the best part. IMO worth 30$ all day long to me.. To the guy who said people who bought it were "suckered in" that's your fucking opinion.

I wonder how many poor unknowing souls are going to be suckered into buying this unrefined game based on a horrifically shitty engine that has the same crippling multiplayer problems with each iteration of it and hasn't been fixed since 2001 .....just because of all the zombie hype. SMH at $29.99...

At least its legit, unlike the blatant cashgrabs from Sergey Titov & Friends that they have no intention of ever finishing, instead just putting out similar titles under different names (WarZ, then renamed to Infestation: Survivor Stories, and his latest scam Nether)

All are n00bs.

Suck at the game, won't give YOURSELF the chance to learn it and just write it off as being shit.

MzoN06G.jpg

M4 w/200+ rounds
3 boxes of cereal
Medical gear for days
Locking down and exploring the the north!

In no other game but DayZ can you find a lonely player, capture them by gunpoint, handcuff them and feed them your choice of loot you've picked up. I've fed a poor lad a bottle of disinfectant spray. But that was after I checked his blood type and IV'd some blood from him.

If you're the one who did this to the dude, you're probably doing it hoping for a reaction like that. You get some sort of 'high' from it. I wouldn't allow you such enjoyment. If you did it to me, you wouldn't hear anything on the mic, or text. I'd probably get up and pour a draft beer and wait for you to do whatever you need to do, and then continue my game or my life once it's done. Anyone who takes it any more seriously than that forgets that they're playing a video game.

I've also never played the game, and don't really care to, as I hate playing games with other people.

Lol, why bother commenting...

It's just funny reading that dude's post, like he got some sort of contact high off doing this to someone else. I was relaying that if I was in that game and he 'held me at gunpoint'...that I wouldn't care and would probably just appear standing there to him because I wasn't even at my computer anymore. Sure he'd shoot me, but that is way less fun for him than going through that story he told. That would make me laugh.

Last edited:
You're always going to find people who derives entertainment from ruining the game for someone else.

It's just funny reading that dude's post, like he got some sort of contact high off doing this to someone else. I was relaying that if I was in that game and he 'held me at gunpoint'...that I wouldn't care and would probably just appear standing there to him because I wasn't even at my computer anymore. Sure he'd shoot me, but that is way less fun for him than going through that story he told. That would make me laugh.

I do not think either was being serious.

I mean the other guy was most likely "role playing," that's kind of the fun of the game (with mics and things).

I know if it had been me I woulda "played" along just to see what he woulda did or not did, but I know it's a game and not real life, it's just part of the fun.

Maybe even convince him I was his friend, get him to put his guard down and turn the tables...then see who's laughing.

I am bitter about WarZ/infested since I got into it at alpha stage. I know it has nothing to do with DayZ, but I did end up buying DayZ.

What I can say though is that it is alpha so don't expect much. If you think the game will be more expensive, probably $40-$50 MAYBE, then get it now and sit on it like a pile of silver.

I played for an hour or so, drank some water, found some sardines, am wearing a red motor cycle helmet and yellow raincoat, and wielding a hammer!

I have been a bit cautious about these super early access games, since I'm a little afraid of getting burned out on a game before it actually reaches fruition. After kickstarting a few games (Broken Age, Wasteland, Carmageddon), and buying a few others early access (Project Zomboid, Xenonauts, Asetto Corsa etc) I am trying to hold off playing them until they are more or less feature complete.

Having said all that, a friend of mine gave me a key for Day Z simply because he has enjoyed it so much. I already have a day off of work planned just to LAN the game. Haven't played it yet. I'm really looking forward to it, but it does sound like it's in very rough shape with the zombies running through floors/walls, and dodgy hit detection. I'm really hoping that this game eventually becomes the ultimate zombie survival game, basically an FPS version of Project Zomboid! Props to the dev for putting such a huge disclaimer on the purchasing page for the game though, I think it's important to set expectations for people going in.

A contact high? I'm sure as hell high but its not from DayZ.

Also you shouldn't play zombie simulators if you aren't going to give a shit about the realism and/or threat of losing your gear. Would you rather give up your life, or just lose a couple cans of beans you picked up and follow through on your journey? Going AFK while being under threat assuming you were going to die just undermines the entire purpose of what DayZ is.

Going AFK while being under threat assuming you were going to die just undermines the entire purpose of what DayZ is.

What DayZ actually is itself undermines what people claim its purpose to be, as shown by that very example. People claim a core aspect of the game is how you act and react towards others, yet everything about it discourages interaction with others, short of shooting them on sight. People claim survival and death are both meaningful, yet here is someone who has so little attachment to his current character's "incarnation" that he just leaves the computer, not interested to see if he lives or dies.

In May 2012 the mod was released as an initial base concept with no well-rounded features or design. Nineteen months later, the "standalone" game has a couple of minor features tacked onto this base concept with no overall design or forward vision whatsoever.

The mod was unique and interesting relative to its small scope at the time, deserving of initial praise. This $50 (once released) "standalone" game, no matter how much more "polish" is given to it, deserves nothing of the sort. The people claiming this is something special are like those that praise an "artist" who randomly throws buckets of paint on a wall, claiming the "art" requires a special understanding.

A contact high? I'm sure as hell high but its not from DayZ.

Also you shouldn't play zombie simulators if you aren't going to give a shit about the realism and/or threat of losing your gear. Would you rather give up your life, or just lose a couple cans of beans you picked up and follow through on your journey? Going AFK while being under threat assuming you were going to die just undermines the entire purpose of what DayZ is.

Just as bandits in the game kill people on site which may ruin the game for some people, if I played and didn't 'roleplay' along with my captor to help in ruining his fun, it's really no different.

I don't think anyone's trying to sucker anyone, considering this is what's on the Steam store page:

Add to that Dean Hall tweeting daily about how people probably shouldn't be buying the game, and most certainly shouldn't be buying the higher-priced variant on Bohemia's own store. If they're really trying to sucker people into buying it, they're doing a terrifically awful job at it.

No...come on, now. These companies know what they are doing releasing alpha games. Them coming out later and saying "people shouldn't be buying this" is ridiculously disingenuous. If they really believed that, they would not release a paid alpha. The reality is that they expect people to buy it and test the game for them.

I'm not saying anything about what DayZ is or isn't but they knew damn well what they were doing releasing it as a $30 alpha.

No problem what so ever paying $30 for DayZ alpha.
Putting in hours upon hours every night.

These companies know what they are doing releasing alpha games. Them coming out later and saying "people shouldn't be buying this" is ridiculously disingenuous. If they really believed that, they would not release a paid alpha.
Rocket isn't suggesting that no one buy it. He's suggesting that most should not. And he's absolutely right to do so: they are infrastructurally incapable of supporting so many players at this time.

The game's been the #1 seller throughout the holiday sale, so it would seem the 'most' have simply ignored the suggestion.

What I find sad are the people that come into a Dayz thread to belittle people talking about it/playing it as though they are highly above them somehow even though they themselves are taking the time to post in a thread on a forum about a game they obviously care nothing about.

No...come on, now. These companies know what they are doing releasing alpha games. Them coming out later and saying "people shouldn't be buying this" is ridiculously disingenuous. If they really believed that, they would not release a paid alpha. The reality is that they expect people to buy it and test the game for them.

I'm not saying anything about what DayZ is or isn't but they knew damn well what they were doing releasing it as a $30 alpha.

Was there a day where they were selling this as a finished product? I bought it on the 17th and all the warnings were up on the sale page.

The game runs like an absolute dog, but it's functional and at least gives you a glimpse of what's to come. It seems there are many people buying this alpha thinking it will "at least be as good/functional as the mod" and I'm guessing those people don't understand why a standalone game is being produced in the first place.

My point is that when developers (not just the DayZ ones) release an alpha build for money, and then say "well, most people shouldn't buy it"...that is BS. Obviously people should know what they are getting with an alpha build, but that kind of talk just comes off as incredibly disingenuous.

Back