DayZ $29.99

$30 for an Alpha? This is almost worse than Kickstarter.

Anyone that's played this have any input. I'm on the fence. I assume by purchasing this you get a copy of the retail version (when it comes out) of the game correct?

Anyone that's played this have any input. I'm on the fence.

I watched some Twitch streams of it. Looks like WarZ, or whatever the new name is for that game. Not worth 29.99 in my opinion. Id pay 2.50 on a steam sale though.

It is still in Alpha, so a lot of the game is going to be unfinished. Even if it turns out to suck in the end, it will probably be a better purchase than me buying BF4 + Premium before that game released.

It is still in Alpha, so a lot of the game is going to be unfinished. Even if it turns out to suck in the end, it will probably be a better purchase than me buying BF4 + Premium before that game released.

I will contest that as I have had nothing but fun times with BF4.

I wonder if this is something like the ARMA3 Alpha where its actually cheaper to get in on the Alpha then the final product. ARMA3 was $32 on Alpha and now is $60.

They have spent how long working on this? Looks like garbage even for alpha. The mod plays better. They should have just waited longer. Except I think they realized they are running out of time. Remember all the hype LAST holiday season?

I'd play it for free but I surely wouldn't pay $30 for it.

The mod was by far the most frustrating game I've ever played, mostly because I was being too considerate of a player and not shooting other humans.

Considering I know a lot of people who play DayZ for free as is (pirated ARMA2), they don't consider the original MOD a game, rather a mod and to them mod means free. I told them about the standalone and there answer was simple, "why?" Generally the second thing out of their mouths was something about no ARMA3 DayZ mod (as in, they already pirated ARMA3). I'm happy to say, I bought all the ARMA games, including Alpha access to DayZ.

I played the mod for months with a group of 7 people from around the world. Have gotten close with the group. So I am obligated to get this with them.

The mod been in alpha for over a year and still plays like crap.
Pass.

Just bought it and played for roughly 3 and a half hours with some friends. After like a year and a half of playing the Arma 2 DayZ it literally feels exactly the same. In some ways the game feels sort of downgraded obviously because it's in alpha. Like I'm not sure how to check health or hunger or whatever, also items seem to be very very very limited. Definitely not as abundant as before. It's currently all night servers which are very annoying because me and my friends wanted to play in a day time server. It's still very hard to find your friends since sometimes you spawn half across the map and there are no signs for miles. Picking up items seem sort of bugged too, just very finicky. Game is still terribly un-optimized since I lowered all my settings yet the game still dips into the 20's then goes back up to the 100's then down to 40, it's ridiculous.

All in all, was it worth it not really to be honest. I was going to get it anyways, but I am still disappointed that not much has been changed at all. I know it's in alpha so there is no blaming anything, but still I mean it has been such a long time already yet not much has been accomplished. But yeah it's alright I suppose. I'd wait a bit until they roll out some more updates and fixes, definitely not worth 30 bucks if you're on the border. But if you don't mind the glitches and bugs then by all means it's definitely still a playable game. Go ahead and buy it and have fun, cause even I still had fun in the old Arma 2 DayZ days.

Just bought it and played for roughly 3 and a half hours with some friends. After like a year and a half of playing the Arma 2 DayZ it literally feels exactly the same. In some ways the game feels sort of downgraded obviously because it's in alpha. Like I'm not sure how to check health or hunger or whatever, also items seem to be very very very limited. Definitely not as abundant as before. It's currently all night servers which are very annoying because me and my friends wanted to play in a day time server. It's still very hard to find your friends since sometimes you spawn half across the map and there are no signs for miles. Picking up items seem sort of bugged too, just very finicky. Game is still terribly un-optimized since I lowered all my settings yet the game still dips into the 20's then goes back up to the 100's then down to 40, it's ridiculous.

All in all, was it worth it not really to be honest. I was going to get it anyways, but I am still disappointed that not much has been changed at all. I know it's in alpha so there is no blaming anything, but still I mean it has been such a long time already yet not much has been accomplished. But yeah it's alright I suppose. I'd wait a bit until they roll out some more updates and fixes, definitely not worth 30 bucks if you're on the border. But if you don't mind the glitches and bugs then by all means it's definitely still a playable game. Go ahead and buy it and have fun, cause even I still had fun in the old Arma 2 DayZ days.

Got it too. Pretty much feel the same way. Wish I would have read more reviews before getting it. Oh well!! But like he said, if your on the fence about getting it, save the $30 and wait.

How is all of this even possible? I vaguely remember some sort of release window of December...of last year. It doesn't look like they've accomplished much at all. Maybe the profits from Early Access were needed to complete the game?

Regardless of how much they make, it still looks like a game that won't be finished for another 6 months to a year, which is just astounding to me because I remember playing the mod close to 2 years ago, excited to hear the announcement of a standalone. Then I stopped playing the mod and moved on.

This is the first I've heard from the standalone since that day 2 or so years ago and it just looks like a broken shell of a game.

Disappointed and flabergasted.

This is not a hot deal, nor is it worthy of posting in the deals section. This belongs in the gaming sub forum.

Thank you mr moderator over here.

I dont usually post stuff like this but people have been polluting the deals section with "XBONE in stock!!!! FULL MSRP!!!" type threads a lot lately. This is no different. Stick to hot deals!

Obviously people here have not been following the development of the game at all. To say that nothing has been accomplished is silly because Rocket has consistantly posted about the work being done on the game for the last year and a half. Most of the buildings are enterable now, they rebuilt all the character models/skeletons/animation system, and built a new zombie AI system from scratch. For 18 months of development that's no small task. The game isn't finished it's in alpha. This is just a chance for people who are really excited to get in at a low price point and play the game early (yes you get the full game if you buy alpha now).

Obviously people here have not been following the development of the game at all. To say that nothing has been accomplished is silly because Rocket has consistantly posted about the work being done on the game for the last year and a half. Most of the buildings are enterable now, they rebuilt all the character models/skeletons/animation system, and built a new zombie AI system from scratch. For 18 months of development that's no small task. The game isn't finished it's in alpha. This is just a chance for people who are really excited to get in at a low price point and play the game early (yes you get the full game if you buy alpha now).

Yeah, most people posting here aren't following what's going on. For those people that are truly interested, watch the E3 interview with Rocket. A major back end conversion was done for the standalone game so it's capable of RPG style game play. This wasn't possible with an Arma 2 mod. When asked what the standalone game has in common with Arma 2, he said, "the sky." That should give you a small taste of how different the mechanics of the standalone game are from the mod.

That should give you a small taste of how different the mechanics of the standalone game are from the mod.

Like what? I'm legitimately interested to know.

The last E3 interview I saw regarding DayZ had Rocket explaining how he didn't want to implement 'missions' into the standalone, rather have the player create his or her own storyline/missions. This was over a year ago and sounds exactly what the Mod has been doing since vanilla DayZ

The SA is going to be a much more optimized version of the game with new content. Right now it has way less content, but that should be expected, it's in alpha. Basically SA is a way for Rocket to fix all the shit he didn't like about mod that stemmed from having to rely 100% on the ARMA II engine.

Earlier in the thread I said I wouldn't get this well . . . last night my buddy convinced me and honestly I am glad I did. As of now the game isn't finished so we all have to keep that in mind. When I got in game I decided I would just head out and see what I could find. I was wondering through some back woods dirt roads when I saw a newbie running down the same road a few clicks ahead. I followed to the top of a hill and caught him off guard with a mean right hook to the head (I was unarmed). I have to say this was one of the most hilarious gaming moments I've had in a while. It made me realize why DayZ is great. It's small instances where your heart is racing and it gives you that "real life" feel. Trust me I was more than skeptical when my buddy mentioned it was released. After playing it again and the fun experiences I've had in just one night I am excited to see what the future will bring. It is in alpha and is essentially a "shell" of what the game will be. It's just a starting point to build off of. If you liked the mod I would recommend getting this now because it will be cheaper. If you don't like it uninstall it and come back in a few months.

So is this the DayZ on Arma3 engine? Will Arma2 DayZ get discontinued?

Take on Helicopters engine; which is kind of between arma 2 and arma 3.

They will be ran in parrallel as long as the mod team supports the mod. The SA will receive official support.

Alpha will get you the retail copy, when released and alpha will be the cheapest time to get it.

--

Now, back to handcuffing people and injecting them with infected blood, while force feeding them rotten fruit. :D

150k People the first day. And i just read 204k people on DayZ right now, Im impressed. I played it for quite a bit yesterday. The cities are much bigger now.

Balota is different, in a good way. There are 3 Barracks to run into, 2 hangars still, 1 control tower, 2 other buildings that have a jail in it. Up on the hills to the north is a plethora of High buildings that are obviously appartment type buildings.

Kamenka changed slightly, there is now a Gas Station and Store down there at the west point, just outside of the town.

All i have seen so far, I helped a few people out. New people in general that never played the mod. Took them to places with loot.

So excluding;

More buildings
More buildings to enter
More buildings in the same cities
Better inventory management

Is that all?

So excluding;

More buildings
More buildings to enter
More buildings in the same cities
Better inventory management

Is that all?

Better zombies- They can enter buildings now, they look more realistic, and they chase you much better.

Guns - your able to add/remove parts to customize your weapon. Attachments, suppressors, holographic sights, bayonets, ext.

Items - Many more items ( wearable clothing, body armor/helmets, ext.)

More realistic movement

New locations - i found a beached barge on the NW coast that was full of loot.

Probably more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Better zombies- They can enter buildings now, they look more realistic, and they chase you much better.

Guns - your able to add/remove parts to customize your weapon. Attachments, suppressors, holographic sights, bayonets, ext.

More realistic movement

I can see how customizing one's weapon may be a huge draw for a lot of people. Thanks for the run down man

I can see how customizing one's weapon may be a huge draw for a lot of people. Thanks for the run down man

No problem, oh and I forgot item condition. I picked up a ACOG that was is poor condition. When you installed it on your gun the lens is cracked and unusable. So it's condition is accurately reflected which I thought was cool. My buddy found a EOtech optical sight in fair condition and it was usable but a crack through the lens. Pretty neat stuff. ;)

More realistic movement

I think when "AI now allows for entities to enter buildings" is a feature, you know the game is going down.

What about the zombies movement/animations ? I hated how fast and unreal they ran in DayZ mod, very twitchy too

Are they more similiar to L4D zombies in movement ?

What about the zombies movement/animations ? I hated how fast and unreal they ran in DayZ mod, very twitchy too

Are they more similar to L4D zombies in movement ?

Much better in my opinion. They aren't so sporadic and retarded. they do run still, but with more fluidity and realism. sure there are some videos on Youtube

Back