Dayton Audio B652, $29

Good deal for a budget 2.0 system. Those plus a cheap Lepai amp would stand up well against anything under $100 while costing nearly half as much.

I use a pair for backfills. Better speakers can't be found at the $20 price point.

Shipping is the "dealbreaker" here. You can get the B652 off Amazon for about the same price w/ free Prime shipping, assuming you have Prime. I just ordered a pair last week, actually. I also ordered the Lepai LP-2020+ to power it. Total cost under $70.

Was hoping to snag these as rear surround speakers but then also double taked at the shipping and the fact they are 4 ohm! If only I needed one of their amps or something to get the total past $100.

I prefer the Sony SS-B1000 to these, but these are still pretty good especially for the price.

Have a pair of these boxed up in my closet. IIRC, they were about this price when I ordered them a couple years ago, at least when bundled with the cheap Dayton T-amp (which I still use for my desktop).

They're kind of "boxy" sounding and the highs are too relaxed for my tastes, but then again I'm a Klipsch guy, and some people hate that sound. Either way, not bad for $30.

Shipping is the "dealbreaker" here. You can get the B652 off Amazon for about the same price w/ free Prime shipping, assuming you have Prime. I just ordered a pair last week, actually. I also ordered the Lepai LP-2020+ to power it. Total cost under $70.

I am sooooo tempted to do just this. Also team it all up with a belkin bluetooth receiver and bam, go-go gadget flow!

ONly weak thing in this *I think* is the PSU, do you have to use a more powerful PSU to drive most speakers?

I am sooooo tempted to do just this. Also team it all up with a belkin bluetooth receiver and bam, go-go gadget flow!

ONly weak thing in this *I think* is the PSU, do you have to use a more powerful PSU to drive most speakers?

Many people recommended pairing the B652 with the Lepai, which outputs 20W/channel. The B652's are rated for 40W RMS each, but you don't need an amp that powerful for them to sound good. You're not going to want to blast these anyway. They should still be plenty loud at 10-15W/channel.

Many people recommended pairing the B652 with the Lepai, which outputs 20W/channel. The B652's are rated for 40W RMS each, but you don't need an amp that powerful for them to sound good. You're not going to want to blast these anyway. They should still be plenty loud at 10-15W/channel.

How would you compare the sound of something like this against a say, bose wave radio? :)

So my main LCD has down firing speakers and is in a corner cabinet, which means I am usually listening at 70 - 80% volume for a lot of my content. I was intending on getting a speakerbar for a cheap solution, but how would this compare (these speakers and the Lepai amp mentioned)? I realize there would be a lot more lows with these speakers, but since I am mainly concerned with hearing voices, I wasn't sure if this would be as good or not.

So my main LCD has down firing speakers and is in a corner cabinet, which means I am usually listening at 70 - 80% volume for a lot of my content. I was intending on getting a speakerbar for a cheap solution, but how would this compare (these speakers and the Lepai amp mentioned)? I realize there would be a lot more lows with these speakers, but since I am mainly concerned with hearing voices, I wasn't sure if this would be as good or not.

These would blow away ANY flat panel TV speakers...

You could probably get a soundbar to sound better, but only if you added a subwoofer to it.

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately the wife put the kibosh on them due to their size. Oh well...

Newegg had some pioneer speakers on sale a couple weeks ago that are much better than these, for $49 with free shipping. I have listened to these, they are pretty poor. Still, for the money, there is hardly anything out there cheaper. :p

I bought a pair of these 2 years ago for the same price and I've loved them. They're lacking somewhat in the lows but a decent sub will help cover all the bases. I haven't been disappointed, might even pick up another pair for surround.

Silly question here but, I enjoy operating all of my devices from one remote. I've been searching for an inexpensive solution to my built-in flat screen speaker dilemma and aznofazns provided that. I am about to place the order.

I see that I can control the adjustments for volume, bass and treble from the amplifiers panel. Rather than getting up and down when I want to adjust the volume should I just set the amplifier to about 85% volume and adjust from my TV from thereon?

These are genuinely decent speakers. I use them as TV speakers in my gf's apartment.

They're hooked up to one of the original Sonic T-amps. The volume control on the amp is set to about 50%.The amp really only puts out 6-7 watts into 8 ohms before distortion gets heavy, but that's plenty loud enough. They really sound great and I adjust the volume with the TV remote just fine.

Newegg had some pioneer speakers on sale a couple weeks ago that are much better than these, for $49 with free shipping. I have listened to these, they are pretty poor. Still, for the money, there is hardly anything out there cheaper. :p

I don't know if I'd say the BS22 is that much better. It's definitely much lower sensitivity than the B652 though, which could be an issue for us guys using these little digital amps.

I don't know if I'd say the BS22 is that much better. It's definitely much lower sensitivity than the B652 though, which could be an issue for us guys using these little digital amps.

That's the first thing I noticed when I hooked these up to my receiver. They were much harder to drive then the cheap satellites they were replacing.

this. I picked up a pair of those pioneers for 50 bucks last year and I cannot say enough good things about them. they were on sale for 40 over black Friday.

To clarify on this, by "Same price with prime shipping" you mean with the shipping cost built in. The two cheapest options for the Dayton B652 on Amazon are either direct from Amazon at $43.83 (Prime eligible) or through PE on Amazon for $29.00 + $13.99 shipping ($42.99 total, not Prime eligible).

Hmm... Still tempting... I just need to find a good deal on some speaker stands that would support these well.

Crutchfield has a lot of nice floor stands shipped for free, wood ones start at like $50 if you're on a tight budget. Metal ones that can be filled with ballast are more like twice that depending on height (a lot of the taller Sanus ones suitable for desk use have disappeared). If you want cheaper you're better off building them yourself or repurposing existing furniture around your desk.

You can find a nice Sanus 30" stand on eBay for $30 shiipped on a continual basis.

·PitBuLL·;1039373120 said:
Silly question here but, I enjoy operating all of my devices from one remote. I've been searching for an inexpensive solution to my built-in flat screen speaker dilemma and aznofazns provided that. I am about to place the order.

I see that I can control the adjustments for volume, bass and treble from the amplifiers panel. Rather than getting up and down when I want to adjust the volume should I just set the amplifier to about 85% volume and adjust from my TV from thereon?

Didn't see an answer for you.

Typically on decent TVs you can set the volume output to "fixed" or "line out" so that your audio system does all the volume and level controls. I'd do this and let the amp/receiver handle volume duties. They are the dedicated components for audio. Let them control it.

Back