Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

There's a tent to the NW of that village. It's on the top of the last hill on your left, right as the trees break into an open field. Just some wood and g17 mags inside. I would put a spare m1911 and enfield in it, but someones running around shooting a loud rifle so I'm being cautious.

[Edit:] When I left the barn there were 2 enfields in the barn, and a winchester and g17 mags on the corpse (I took the winchester ammo and the winchester upstairs). The house has some misc. stuff, an m1911, and some m1911 mags. Killed most of the zombies and now I'm logged out at the NW of the town.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was my corpse, I died on the floor of the barn. I had a winchester, a bunch of ammo, and some G17 mags, nothing too special.

So I was about to install this mod since I bought ARMA 2 on steam but it says it also needs Operation Arrowhead also to play it? That true?

If you already have ARMA 2, you only need to buy Operation Arrowhead to run the mod.

Found a Hilux pickup at the airfield last night, would have totally missed it if not for NVGs.

Worth mentioning is that if you buy directly through the BIS store (which has Steam versions) you get 25% off right now, making OA about $15 and CO about $25. All the DLCs are on sale as well.

https://store.bistudio.com/

If anyone wants to group up tomorrow I went to the airfield and picked up an mp5 and an m48 (7.62 light machine gun). I can pass off the mp5 to free up space. Just using it now as a close quarters backup.

i like this

how much time does this deal will stay?

Good question, but so far no info on that. So I would say, buy it if you want it. :cool: Plus you are giving BIS the money directly so it helps them as well.

It might go on sale for less on the Steam Summer sale but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

m48 (7.62 light machine gun).

Lol, I assume you mean Mk 48. The M48 is a tank. :p

So I just bought this game. Is it normal for the controls to be really annoying? I only played for 30 minutes, but I still cannot figure out how to change weapons. Is v the only way to jump?

If anyone wants to group up tomorrow I went to the airfield and picked up an mp5 and an m48 (7.62 light machine gun). I can pass off the mp5 to free up space. Just using it now as a close quarters backup.
I can probably hop on tomorrow night to play for a bit.

The controls take some getting used to. You can press F to change fire rate(if applicable) or select other items(Flares, chem lights, ect). To change to your secondary weapon, just scroll the mouse wheel and the weapon will show on the left, click to select.

I ventured into Cherno to get some supplies. I am pretty well packed with supplies, found an Alice pack, food, drinks, pain killers, and some ammo. Might head towards the army tents by the hospital in Cherno or to the airport to try to find a 1911.

Going to shoot on site in Cherno, I have learned my lesson from previous encounters lol.

I always try to play on a Dallas server, normally Dallas 44. I am in the midwest and they seem to have good pings for me

This game is starting to annoy me. After 45 minutes of running away from zombies and finally losing them I find a pack and some flares. I have no clue how to pick them up. I sit there for like 10 minutes trying to figure that out, and then the door they are next to closes and crushes me instantly to death.

This game is starting to annoy me. After 45 minutes of running away from zombies and finally losing them I find a pack and some flares. I have no clue how to pick them up. I sit there for like 10 minutes trying to figure that out, and then the door they are next to closes and crushes me instantly to death.

You got Arma'd. It happens. Just stick with it.

Controls aren't that hard to figure out. Look at key bindings and apply common sense. Now the inventory is a little wonky, but its just backwards from what you would normally think. Just use the arrows to move them over into your pack/inventory.

Been playing this game for about 2 weeks and while the concept is great they are some really annoying bugs that need to be fixed.

I have instances where zombies go through walls and doors or attack me through the walls.
Also falling from like the 4 step on stairs breaks my leg.

It does get annoying after finally finding some gear to get your leg broken 4 steps up.

So I am stumped. I did everything I was told/read to do to play this mod and I keep getting a "Connection Failed" every time I join a server. I bought both of my copies of ARMA 2 and ARMA: OA from Steam. Any ideas?

I want to play this so bad... And having surgery last week im out of work for a bit. Waiting for it to go on Steam sale

I caved and bought it...

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought they fixed zombies attacking through walls, but I'm still getting hit. Kinda sucks if you try to hide in a tiny shed.

ArmA building interaction has always been funky. And the best way to deal with stairs is to walk, not run. :p

ArmA building interaction has always been funky. And the best way to deal with stairs is to walk, not run. :p

Except for the metal stairs in that weird, broken-windowed corrugated metal warehouse building type, with the concrete floor and walkway that loops around, which has such incredibly broken stairs that the only reliable way to get up them is to crouch-walk backwards onto them.

Ever since I fell off the loft in the barn and broke my leg while trying to run down stairs, I crouch walk inside any building now lol.

Yeah, I hope with PhysX that ArmA 3 physics will improve dramatically. Physics in ArmA 2 has always sucked pretty bad for infantry especially.

Well, I am not sure I am gonna play this game for a long time. If glitches don't kill me, every player I encounter does. They say they are friendly then kill me anyways. This happens every single time. I can spend hours collecting gear only to get shot in the back for the 100th time.

I don't know if you saw it, but there's a live-action youtube video that sums up dayz perfectly. Scrounge for food, meet random person. Cautiously make friends and survive together. Then once you don't need each other, kill the other person for their loot and move on.

Unless you're playing with friends or people you trusted before starting the game, it's best to avoid other players. I think I've only had 1 good experience with another player, and I happened to have all the ammo. Once he had more ammo than me I had nothing worth stealing, so we didn't turn on each other.

Well, I am not sure I am gonna play this game for a long time. If glitches don't kill me, every player I encounter does. They say they are friendly then kill me anyways. This happens every single time. I can spend hours collecting gear only to get shot in the back for the 100th time.

Yeah. Welcome to non consensual pvp. It's intense.

I have arma2 and I'm curious to try this out, but I want to play with other people. Can we coordinate something?

i would love to if I can get it to work. I used the 6updater, I launch the game...then it brings me to a main menu but it shows the DayZ mod running on the right. Then if I pick multiplayer it goes through a separate gamespy server list. If I pick one of those it shows me connected and I see all the players in game. If I hit OK it goes through the Launching window and stops at the end and doesn't do anything anymore. I am obviously doing something wrong...any insights? :(

i would love to if I can get it to work. I used the 6updater, I launch the game...then it brings me to a main menu but it shows the DayZ mod running on the right. Then if I pick multiplayer it goes through a separate gamespy server list. If I pick one of those it shows me connected and I see all the players in game. If I hit OK it goes through the Launching window and stops at the end and doesn't do anything anymore. I am obviously doing something wrong...any insights? :(

Sounds like a server issue that I encounter somewhat frequently, but if it's happening on every server you try, you might need to update.

Yesterday was a horrible day for countless servers everywhere, for some reason... like an epidemic of it's own, heh.

The mod is more than worth even paying $30 for the base ArmA 2 games. While still in alpha, so obviously having some bugs, it's extremely in-depth, far more atmospheric than I would have expected, and there's a lot of gameplay elements, from the mix between intense tactical stealth to balls-out firefights, having to eat, drink, loot, the ability to repair/use some vehicles, the tension and general atmospheres, and the survival aspect, are done the best out of any supposed survival horror game I've ever played...

...with the exceptions of older single-player games such as Silent Hill and Resident Evil. But this is a huge scale, open-world, multilplayer game with a lot of depth, honestly, and done extremely well.

My wife and I have been playing consistently, and with two other people a lot of the time. I run my own little private community just for friends and any mature adults we might meet to game with in general. However, we can be a bit rowdy, but it's all in good fun.

So for anyone actually trustworthy, who's mature but knows how to have fun if you're looking for others to hook-up with, PM me and I'll let you know the details.

I have my own quality site/forums and private Vent server just for us and our friends. But we're always looking for others into the games we're into, and definitely would be great to find others for Day Z!

Going "lone wolf" can be very difficult in Day Z, and it's very difficult to find any actual trustworthy, mature people, just in general. We work extremely well together, believe in teamwork and watching out for one another, but still know that gaming is about having fun... something too many people don't seem to understand these days.

Oh, and yeah... it's usually "better safe than sorry", and if you see other players that you're not going to/cant totally avoid, to just whack 'em, because they're probably going to do the same to you.

As someone said, it's just part of the game. It's one of the aspects of the gameplay itself that makes it more tense. It's a harsh world.

It used to be that at the start people would risk working together but weeks and weeks of players stabbing each other in the back has overall forced the community to just assume hostility from other players and attack on sight.

If you see people working together I think the odds are greatly that they're real life friends who know each other, or clan/guild buddies who are using vent/TS to coordinate. if you want coop in this game then find some people you trust outside the game and set up a voice server with them, meet up and play together, everything else will get you killed.

Yeah. Welcome to non consensual pvp. It's intense.

Actually, I love this kind of PVP. Darkfall is letting old players come back today and tomorrow for free and they are adding 20x xp rate and 4x loot drop. I love me some full pvp and full loot drop.

Something tells me this will be an Arma III DLC before it's a full fledged mod for Arma II. Too much money can be made on this to let it go as a 'mod'.

I had an issue before the latest 1.7.1.5 patch where the main server would become overloaded and it'd take forever to load past the black screen. That seems to be fixed now.

Six updater doesn't work for me so I just install manually (I have Arma II on steam and OA through disc). After installing Dayz and adding the -mod=dayz (I think, maybe -mod=@dayz) argument to the launcher, it usually works fine.

I don't know what you mean by seeing the dayz mod running on the right. I see a menu on the left, click multiplayer, and it gives you a warning about gameplay changing. Skip it, go to the server browser, join, and then click on on the mission.

Also, there's a separate .exe for the beta version of OA. Make sure you add the dayz launcher option to it and then use that. If you don't, 90% of the servers will probably reject you.

So I am stumped. I did everything I was told/read to do to play this mod and I keep getting a "Connection Failed" every time I join a server. I bought both of my copies of ARMA 2 and ARMA: OA from Steam. Any ideas?

get six launcher so you can install the beta and the mods with ease... it helps a lot

my suggestion is play with friends.. . you're trying to survive and nobody is trustworthy :)

getting friends to back you up is super helpful... give you blood transfusions etc..

Back