Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

tried playing the patch last night it just wasn't ready yet if you ask me too much glitchiness. we found like 24 hatchets in one loot pile.. -_-

Seems like there's bug with the hotfix 1.7.1.2, dropping ammo turns in to hatchets and using then dropping melee weapons crash the entire server, sigh...

Going to be a nightmare for a few days I suspect, you can't roll back to 1.7.1.1 because that has the bugged food spawns...lol

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I seem to remember my problem stemmed from forcing AA in the nVidia control panel.

When using AA, do not choose the numbered ones in-game, only the worded options. (Normal, High, Very High)

Melee weapons are crashing servers and corrupting your characters on the main system databases. Do not pickup, use or interact with them.

Had 3 people last night that had to open a support ticket due to receiving this bug. You are affected if you have an error similiar to, "This server is running an incorrect validation version."

Scanning the official DayZ forums shows that people have logged as many bugs as possible and a recent friend spoke with the Dev team on mIRC to confirm that they are aware and working to resolve the issue.

1.7.1.3 is out.

Fixes some stuff

Changelog:
* [FIXED] Melee items causing magazine glitching and eventual server death (fixed)
* [FIXED] Unconscious UI Image displays incorrectly
* [FIXED] Bleeding never stops unless bandaged (chance of spontanious bleeding stopping now works)
* [FIXED] Interior infected spawning inside of building walls etc... (interior infected now spawn inside correctly)
* [FIXED] Speed not correctly utilized for checking stealth levels ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33630 )
* [FIXED] Posture error can occur on stealth check ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33628 )
* [FIXED] Config error messages on popup (Caused by legacy classnames, error handling implemented to prevent this)
* [FIXED] Unable to repair helicopter fuel leak (repair all parts to 95% or above and fuel leak will stop)
* [FIXED] Massive lag and desync on some servers (mostly caused by the invisible replicating magazines)
* [REVERT] Nerf of sickness damage (now will reduce your blood to 6000 rather than 10000)
* [FIXED] Losing blood from starvation/dehydration cannot receive transfusion ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33677 )
* [FIXED] Hunger and Thirst no longer continue to drop while you are offline (only ingame time counts)
* [NEW] Once infected lose line-of-sight they will try investigate where you are
* [FIXED] Flies still heard around removed/hidden bodies ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33472 )
* [NEW] Significant loot rebalancing
* [FIXED] "Fus ro dah" melee (now should be the correct release files)

Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Look at the tree's and the dots around their edges?

ATOC. It's the alpha channel on foliage I asked Laffles about. It can be disabled, but looks terrible unless you go into your .cfg and enable FX/SMAA. I think it might only be prevalent on AMD/ATI cards.

http://imgur.com/a/ZnzTS

That's an album of shots with different combinations I spent a couple of hours on, just trying to find out how to get it to look normal. The way trees grow out of existence as you get closer to them is horrible.

Are you talking about the whitish aura on grass and trees?

If so, I remember I had the same problem before, but I can't remember what I had to do in order to fix it. I think it may have been something simple like trying to force settings in the nvidia control panel.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

See above. It's the halftone effect on the outer edges of foliage. Seeing that you and Laffles both use nVidia cards is lending more weight to the idea that it's down to the AA technology used by each company, as I've had other people complain about the same thing and they've been on 5xxx+ ATI cards as well.

Last edited:
ATOC. It's the alpha channel on foliage I asked Laffles about. It can be disabled, but looks terrible unless you go into your .cfg and enable FX/SMAA. I think it might only be prevalent on AMD/ATI cards.

You're correct in that it's AToC causing that, but it's not an AMD-specific problem. I had the issue before when I was using 280 SLI, but it stopped when I switched to 570s and now a 680. No idea why.

To disable, go to My Documents\ArmA 2 OA\ArmA2OA.cfg and change ATOC=7 to ATOC=0.

Also, agreed about SMAA. Highly recommend setting that as well (I believe the commands are PPAA= and PPAA_Level=. Set both to 3 for SMAA and highest quality).

You're correct in that it's AToC causing that, but it's not an AMD-specific problem. I had the issue before when I was using 280 SLI, but it stopped when I switched to 570s and now a 680. No idea why.

To disable, go to My Documents\ArmA 2 OA\ArmA2OA.cfg and change ATOC=7 to ATOC=0.

Also, agreed about SMAA. Highly recommend setting that as well (I believe the commands are PPAA= and PPAA_Level=. Set both to 3 for SMAA and highest quality).

I didn't mean to suggest ATOC was AMD-specific, but that it was AMD's AA technology when applied to the foliage that affected it in this way. If you look at Laffles' first video in HD you'll see very little evidence of ATOC and foliage pop in/out. I think it's exacerbated by AMD's AA and such.

My game got borked with 1.7.1. Spawned normal but with no debug window (blood/zombie count/etc.) Other players frozen in place. Next login spawned me in the 'debug grasslands' After checking the Dayz forums discovered it's possible to run to the real map on a heading of SE, a mere 22km! Spawned in after deleting and reloading Dayz files and looted other players for food and water (3ea). Acquired a map from one and was able to SHIFT-L-click place a nav mark. Jammed fork into keyboard to keep 'W' pressed and ran. Water needed @ about 7-8km, food 10-12km? at 16km traveled Server disconnect!! Luckily my progress thru debug land saved(!) with food and water reset( :) ) @ approx 2km out shrubs & trees appear. Entered map in NW corner beyond Skalk.

My game got borked with 1.7.1. Spawned normal but with no debug window (blood/zombie count/etc.)

Usually if you join a server and you have no debug window, it means the server is running a different version of DayZ than you. Before the hotfixes, there were a handful not running the correct version of the mod, now there are a bunch with updated mod files but didn't update the server file so it's causing other issues.

To those talking about the AA issues, I'm curious about one thing: if you use ARMA II Free instead of the retail version, you get reduced texture quality. Could that be having an impact? There's a video showing the difference here (play it at 1080p, of course).

I debugged on a mountain, bunch of people spawned not moving, I walked over to a guy with an M4, shot him, 20 seconds later he died, I looted his body, then right as I was going to quit, I got shot and saw another guy lag past me. I respawned on the beach with no gear :(

Spent almost two weeks wth that character! Such bullshit :(

I debugged on a mountain, bunch of people spawned not moving, I walked over to a guy with an M4, shot him, 20 seconds later he died, I looted his body, then right as I was going to quit, I got shot and saw another guy lag past me. I respawned on the beach with no gear :(

Spent almost two weeks wth that character! Such bullshit :(

Yeah, they are banning anyone who kills people on Debug Mountain/Forest.

Lol how is someone supposed to know? The other characters did not move, I wasn't sure if they were even real characters. I have spawned in the debug forest a few times several versions ago but have never seen another player before.

Apparently you always spawn in the debug forest and stay there for the short time you are loading your character info from the main server (You don't normally see this). If what I was told is correct, they can tell if a player is killed while in the process of loading it's info from the main server.

The players who aren't moving are other players who are in the process of loading info from the main server, hence the fact they can't move.

Take it with a grain of salt, just paraphrasing what I've heard

I am not [H]ard enough for this game I guess.

First spawn - Look in my bag and realize I have no weapons. I see some train tracks and decide to start walking on them. I see a couple zombies but manage to not be spotted by them. I see a building way in the distance. I keep following the train tracks in the general driection of the building. A survivor walks up to me and executes me point blank before I get near the building.

Second spawn - No weapons still. I see a road and decide to follow it. I see a building in the distance but two zombies run at me out of nowhere. One of them scratches me. I take off running and manage to evade further damage for like 3 miles of them chasing me. After a few miles, I bleed out and die.

This doesn't seem fun at all. All of the videos online make it look cool, but it just isn't fun to me.

First spawn - Look in my bag and realize I have no weapons. I see some train tracks and decide to start walking on them. I see a couple zombies but manage to not be spotted by them. I see a building way in the distance. I keep following the train tracks in the general driection of the building. A survivor walks up to me and executes me point blank before I get near the building.

Second spawn - No weapons still. I see a road and decide to follow it. I see a building in the distance but two zombies run at me out of nowhere. One of them scratches me. I take off running and manage to evade further damage for like 3 miles of them chasing me. After a few miles, I bleed out and die.

This doesn't seem fun at all. All of the videos online make it look cool, but it just isn't fun to me.

Its an acquired taste. Its a simulation FPS , not a action FPS like COD or BF3 so that means you really have to dedicate some time with it and understand the many influences that drive the game. I would not recommend it for anyone , more so for people that like action/arcade shooters. Day-Z is a thinking mans FPS , you gotta treat it like a real life condition. Take your time , try to NOT engage ANYTHING as much as possible. Learn the lay out of the land , always search for improved gear and depending on your play style ..avoid other players.

Another thing to remember , this game is an Alpha. Its barely in release state and so much will change before its even beta. Personally I enjoy it in small doses , I think it needs a ton of work and when that work has been done I'll play it more. But right now for me at least , its a curiosity. Thankfully the best moments of the game are constantly uploaded to Youtube and I'm sure someone will end up doing a Machinma series using it soon.

The videos are of good runs. Most runs are solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

If you learn from both experiences you should know that when you spawn you should head for physical cover in order to protect yourself from other players, they can't see you when you're in cover like a bush. Scan the horizon and constantly keep an eye out for anything human shaped and avoid it, if you're running into other players then you're not being very careful.

Zombies react to sound and sight, use duck and prone to lower your visibility (there's a HUD indicator for this) and creep around zombies you can hold or toggle walk to make yourself slower and quieter.

You're going to die a lot learning just how close you can get to zombies in each stance, if in doubt then go prone it's the safest stance as you're least visible. Learn from your mistakes, no one is good at this game on their 2nd play through, you need to get used to dying and taking that hit, learning from your mistakes and improving.

Nevertheless Godmachine is right, it's an acquired taste, the "game" is really more of a military simulator, this isn't a run and gun arcade game it's a tactical survival game where you think your way out of situations by making appropriate choices, knowing when to run and hide, retreat and how to pick your battles. Combat is a last resort really, it consumes rare ammo and is extremely risky vs zombies or other humans.

Had a crazy night last night. Came across 2 crashed helos (my first ever) on 2 different servers. Found an AS50 .50cal sniper rifle, but only had 1 clip, so when I came across the 2nd, I swapped it in favor of an M249 SAW with 3 boxes of ammo to complement my MP5SD. No NVGs though :(

I like the new changes to stealth, so long as you're on a server that updated properly. Otherwise, the sight & sound meters are nuts and aggro zombies from across town through buildings.

What are the new changes to stealth? I noticed in the construction site I logged into yesterday, I had full sight bars even behind walls, not moving and crouched. I did kill many zombies with the axe, but thats not perfect. It seems like the server is running at a significantly different speed and zombies would hit me not really close to me. I took quite a bit of damage to zombies I was 5 feet at least away from

They upped the visibility of crouching and standing, and also made crouch-running and sprinting louder. Also prone isn't 100% invisible anymore unless you're not moving and in a shadow or tall grass or something. Now it means you've actually got to be much more careful when moving into a town.

I also think they may have given the zombies a boost to their vision, as well as increased the range slightly on their melee attack, which probably explains why they were hitting you from farther away (before, zombies would usually stand there and melee attack even if you backed up out of range slightly.)

Pending Changelog for 1.7.1.5
* [NEW] Infected raycast for line-of-sight less often (improves performance)
* [FIXED] Infected can see through terrain ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33787 )
* [FIXED] Raycasting being taken from wrong body position (ensured it is from eye level)
* [FIXED] Infected sometimes spawn close to a player (previous check once, now up to ten times)
* [NEW] Infected bodies will despawn after x minute(s) of their death (improves performance)
* [FIXED] Sometimes infected will stand still after loosing line-of-sight ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33715 )
* [FIXED] Can dupe tent's by right clicking (forgot to close the window)
* [FIXED] Poor performance caused by infected search behavior (MAJOR performance increase during closed testing)
* [FIXED] Audibility is far to high (completely rebalanced, in line with how it was in previous updates)
* [FIXED] Can dupe food during cooking if click really fast (now you cannot)
* [FIXED] Hatchet takes up too much room (can now be transferred between toolbelt and primary slot through gear action)
* [NEW] Flashlights can now be packed to toolbelt also (gear action)

So it seems like the audibility is going to be reduced some, not sure if it's back down to 1.7 levels, or somewhere in between. Me, I actually liked how it was, but oh well.

Don't play the game, but this video was hilarious.

Apparently the story behind it is some guy got killed by this clan. The guy that died then found a helicopter that was beat up and almost out of fuel. He wanted to trade the helicopter to the clan for his gear, but the clan was being douchey. The clan had a "castle" with a bunch of stuff in it, ammo, etc. So when the deal goes south, the helicopter - almost out of fuel, decides to ram the castle and kills the whole clan and destroys everything. Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-1y7udXb0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbdk8-qOU2o

That is awesome. Did they upload the bartering attempts that led up to this?

Apparently the story behind it is some guy got killed by this clan. The guy that died then found a helicopter that was beat up and almost out of fuel. He wanted to trade the helicopter to the clan for his gear, but the clan was being douchey. The clan had a "castle" with a bunch of stuff in it, ammo, etc. So when the deal goes south, the helicopter - almost out of fuel, decides to ram the castle and kills the whole clan and destroys everything. Hilarious.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

So epic.

this... please. thatd be most of the laughs for me.. seeing people die in dayz isnt funny to me any more i just feel bad for them hahaha fuck dying.

That was quite possibly the most awesome thing I've ever seen in a FPS.

I don't see a video that covered the barter attempt. Just banter between both parties on what happened proceeding the destruction.

My favorite line, around 10 seconds after the tower falls...

"I fucking love you guys"

Back