Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

It's probably been linked before in this thread, I stayed up late last night watching all 28 parts of the Dayz Guide Series. It's from a few versions back, but it shows how to behave when moving through areas thickly infested with zombies. If you're trying to decide whether to buy ARMA II just for this mod, these gameplay videos give a very good idea of the scale of the map (HUUUUUGE) and the general gameplay.

Updated changelog for 1.7.1:

Changelog:
* [FIXED] Wire Spools, Toolboxes, hedgehog (tank trap) kits not spawning
* [FIXED] Bodies still being deleted too quickly sometimes
* [FIXED] No backpacks or medical boxes spawning
* [FIXED] "No Speaker..." debug report spam
* [FIXED] Infected spawning too close to players (minimum 30m now)
* [FIXED] Infected not spawning inside buildings any more
* [NEW] Infected can't attack through walls
* [NEW] Infected can't see through objects any more
* [NEW] Infected visibility increased (but limited by LOS)
* [NEW] Infected attack range increased (but limited by LOS)
* [NEW] Infected can cause greater damage when they hit you
* [NEW] You can hide from an infected chasing you
* [NEW] Optimized server cleanup routine
* [NEW] Player body exists for five seconds after disconnect (UNCONFIRMED IF WORKING)
* [NEW] Infected see based on eye direction, not on body direction as before
* [NEW] 30Rnd_545x39_AK added to loot table

Updated changelog for 1.7.1:

That's very interesting, I think the LOS for the infected could prove to be more forgiving and explains a great number of gay game play bugs prior where hiding behind some objects simply didn't work.

Not having them spawn near you is good, I'd really like them to add to that, it would be nice to suppress the respawn of infected in an area where there's combat, to stop these never ending chain of infected fights where you can never win.

I like the idea of potentially being able to lose the infected, we'll see how that plays out, is that patch live now or...?

I dunno how I feel about this new patch. They improve zombie gameplay by making them not spawn right on top of you/in buildings and not attack/see through walls and objects, but then they kinda fuck it up by increasing their view distance and attack radius, as well as attack damage. Those three things seemed like more than enough to me before.

The ability to hide is awesome but I wonder how that will work, really, since they can run just as fast as you and never stop.

well got it all up and running. q9200 12mb cache, 260m, 4gb ddr3 ran at native res on my laptop(low settings) and easily got 50+ frames. however on dayz servers it drops to below 25 most of the time. not sure what's going on.

What were you testing where you got "50+ frames"? Chernarus (where DayZ is set) is easily one of the more demanding maps due to the massive amount of foliage.

Plus there are some issues in MP where you can get low CPU/GPU usage and low framerate. Some sort of engine limitation/bug.

Lame. It was cool having one of the few toolboxes. They still spawned, you just had to find them on player corpses....

Eye direction for infected sight is going to suck. A lot of times I've snuck by and had a zombie turn their head towards me, but because their sight was based on the body they didn't see me.

Looks like good changes overall. I'm worried about the added range on the infected though. If they can hit you while you're running at full speed it could make the game a lot harder when you aggro a bunch of them.

What were you testing where you got "50+ frames"? Chernarus (where DayZ is set) is easily one of the more demanding maps due to the massive amount of foliage.

Plus there are some issues in MP where you can get low CPU/GPU usage and low framerate. Some sort of engine limitation/bug.

should've clarified. it was a map from the armory.

I dunno how I feel about this new patch. They improve zombie gameplay by making them not spawn right on top of you/in buildings and not attack/see through walls and objects, but then they kinda fuck it up by increasing their view distance and attack radius, as well as attack damage. Those three things seemed like more than enough to me before.

The ability to hide is awesome but I wonder how that will work, really, since they can run just as fast as you and never stop.

I'm not crazy about it. Zombies being even more powerful is just nuts in my opinion. Now you really have to be even more careful.

should've clarified. it was a map from the armory.

I don't remember what map that is but I'm pretty sure it's not Chernarus. :p

Maybe try running some tests in the editor on Chernarus to see what happens there, or try playing some vanilla A2/OA on Chernarus in MP. Then you can determine if it's ArmA 2 or just DayZ causing the lag.

It's probably been linked before in this thread, I stayed up late last night watching all 28 parts of the Dayz Guide Series. It's from a few versions back, but it shows how to behave when moving through areas thickly infested with zombies. If you're trying to decide whether to buy ARMA II just for this mod, these gameplay videos give a very good idea of the scale of the map (HUUUUUGE) and the general gameplay.

I just watched the first video of that series, and while it is a good guide, I feel like that guy got EXTREMELY lucky with not only loot spawns but the fact that he saw like ONE zombie the entire time (maybe because of the older version?). Last time I tried playing this and I spawned outside Cherno, I had to prone and crawl just to get close enough to a gas station on the far outskirts of town, which was already infested with about a dozen zombies in the first place. Even then I was not able to remain hidden from them and I died almost instantly. This was all within like the first 15 minutes of playing.

Just seems like my experience has been far more frustrating and slow than it makes it seem in those videos.

Also, I don't know if this was posted, but I didn't see it in here (if so I apologize). You can get some nice physical maps of Chernarus and other maps in ArmA 2 directly from BIS, along with some postcards, for $14.99 with free shipping:

https://store.bistudio.com/chernarus-map-collection

I ordered some and should be getting them soon. From what I hear they are high-quality and I like to support BIS when I can.

Also, if you buy ArmA X (anniversary edition with all ArmA games) for $60 from BIS you get the map collection for free.

I feel like that guy got EXTREMELY lucky with not only loot spawns but the fact that he saw like ONE zombie the entire time

I too cannot believe how lucky that guy was. Those loot spawns were ridiculous. I'm sure there are some people out there who spend 8 hours trying to collect all of that equipment. Hell, after 12 hours I only had a map, watch, compass, knife and matches. That guy had that and more within 30 minutes.

He was indeed very lucky at the start to get that stuff (almost suspiciously so). Still, it's interesting to see how he avoids alerting zombies and what he does when it inevitably happens. I also like that he uses annotations sparsely for commentary and otherwise stays quiet; all of the other series of Dayz tours I've found on youtube have two or more guys constantly babbling nonsense. If you make videos of your gameplay, do it the way this guy did.

So I may have missed this, but do we currently have a DayZ [H] group going? I didn't see anything in the community section. I just thought it would be sweet to survive with a large group that had dedicated roles (ie medic) or at least people who can provide good support.

He was indeed very lucky at the start to get that stuff (almost suspiciously so). Still, it's interesting to see how he avoids alerting zombies and what he does when it inevitably happens. I also like that he uses annotations sparsely for commentary and otherwise stays quiet; all of the other series of Dayz tours I've found on youtube have two or more guys constantly babbling nonsense. If you make videos of your gameplay, do it the way this guy did.

It's possible to get those kind of spawns, but you have to find a barely-populated server and hope that the few zombies that are on there spawn elsewhere.

It's incredibly unlikely.

The more I play the easier it is to completely avoid zombies. And if I do get spotted I usually have a building nearby I run to that makes killing them all with headshots very easy.

But at first, yeah, I usually aggro'd zombies every time I entered a town and tried to loot something.

The more I play the easier it is to completely avoid zombies. And if I do get spotted I usually have a building nearby I run to that makes killing them all with headshots very easy.

But at first, yeah, I usually aggro'd zombies every time I entered a town and tried to loot something.

Yup. The zombies are the easiest thing about the game. Avoiding, hunting, grouping, and any interaction with other people is where the fun/thrill is.

So if I got the free Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead(just to save $10 :D) would everything still be the same for me with this mod?(No shitty graphics?)

I was under the impression that the free version wouldn't do mod or online play or something.

That's what I thought, but a clan mate told me that it only needs some files from Arma 2 and that Operation Arrowhead is the main game being used for the mod :confused:

Oh god those guys were idiots, the main speaker(player) seemed alright, but the others sounded like 16/17 year old pricks.

My favorite from Rooster Teeth will always be the FEAR videos...*sigh*

To get high res model textures you need the PMC pack as well.

This is... DayZ (Arma2 Mod)

This video is by Rooster Teeth (The Red Vs. Blue and Achievement Hunter Guys, for those of you living under rocks)

Keep in mind they rarely ever venture outside of 360 land...

I lol'd ...this video actually makes me want to try the mod. These guys are just a bunch of console gamers that are amazed and you get a good feel for their realistic reaction to the game.

I was under the impression that the free version wouldn't do mod or online play or something.

Supposedly you can get the free version to work with OA and the mod, but it requires a lot of fiddling around with stuff, and you'd be stuck with all low-res textures too I believe.

The free copy of ARMA 2 works, it's pretty simple actually.

1) Buy a legit key for Operation Arrowhead online, I got mine for about £9
2) Download and install the free ARMA2 and generate a free key on their website.
3) Install OA and patch as necessary.
4) Copy the addons folder from the Arma2 installation directory to the OA installation directory
5) Install DayZ mod as normal.

I believe the free copy of Arma2 basically has lower resolution textures so it looks pretty soupy in places but otherwise it's fully functional, and while the mod makers don't seem to officially support people doing this, it's perfectly legit and functional way of playing the mod.

So if I got the free Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead(just to save $10 :D) would everything still be the same for me with this mod?(No shitty graphics?)

Where can you buy it for 10$?

Also seeing as Operation Arrowhead seems to be stand-alone (at least in GMG) would DayZ work just with that?

OA is stand alone it installs to its own directory and has its own executables, but I believe the mod requires basically an Arma2 and OA key to be played. The free copy of Arma2 works by generating a free key on their website which the mod works with.

The mod is cool but IMHO it's not worth buying both the Full Arma2+OA to play, not until they come packaged together heavily discounted.

Where can you buy it for 10$?

Also seeing as Operation Arrowhead seems to be stand-alone (at least in GMG) would DayZ work just with that?

I said save $10, as in $20(OA) vs $30(Both combined) ;)

Although amazon fails, Arma2 itself is $40 :p

After hovering between 2nd and 3rd place for a few weeks, ARMA II: Combined Operations (which is ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead packaged together) is now the top seller on Steam. And it's not even for sale, and still costs $30. I figure the next time it goes on sale I'll pick it up and the mod will be in even better shape.

At the moment, £9 = about US$14. I see some OA DVDs on eBay for $13 but I'm not very enthusiastic about going that way. I'd rather not have the lower-quality textures and sound from ARMA II Free.

So I was in Zelenogorsk raiding all of the loot in the grocery store and as I looked out the window, I see something strange, a horde of zombies running down the road. I zoom in closer and I see a survivor, followed by at least 10 zombies and it looked like he was leading them straight for the grocery store.

Would you:

A) Stay and help him shoot the zombies and team up or part ways once they are taken care of?
B) Flee the scene and not risk getting killed by him or the zombies
C) Stay, help him kill the zombies, then turn around and kill him and loot his dead carcass?

I would choose option "B" because that is the only option that guarantees that you don't get shot first.

To me, the game is more about avoidance and stealth rather than combat.

B) Honestly it's not worth the risk, you don't need to inherit other peoples mistakes/problems in this game, let him fend for himself, if he dies you get his loot and if he lives then he'll no doubt be weaker and pose less of a threat or be easy pickings if you decide to take him out.

It's more a game of avoiding trouble and picking your battles, even when you're kitted out with good guns and ammo, direct combat just isn't worth it, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Yeah, I chose option B. I ran out the back of the store so he did not see me. I ran through the city and aggro'ed a few of my own zombies, but made it to a barn and picked them off. I sent a chat message to see if the guy survived, but I did not get a reply. I did not go back to the store as I assumed it was full of zombies by now.

I would likely either do B, especially if I was by myself at the time, or maybe even just stay hidden behind shelves to see how the guy manages. If I chose to stay hidden and watch, and he's got an automatic weapon, at that point I would likely drop him with my silenced weapon while he's distracted by zombies because he's too much of a threat to make contact. If he had newbie gear like a pistol or Winchester, I would try to communicate through direct chat while staying hidden to see if he would team up with me, as my buddies and I are attempting to find new friends to join our 'team.'

It's kind of a tricky situation any time you see a survivor. Just the other day my one buddy and I were in the apartment buildings in Berezino, and we heard Makarov shots a good bit away, so we were keeping an eye out for anyone coming this way. After a few minutes of silence all of a sudden he gets gunned down through the window by a single shot from an AK. Must not have been a headshot as he's alive but unconscious for a few seconds, and is able to bandage up and move to another room. I was in the other building facing my buddy's, and I see the guy run past towards his entrance. Put a 3 round burst into his side with the MP5SD, all 3 connect but he doesn't drop and is able to make it in and bandage up. He totally didn't realize it was me that shot him though because he didn't hear me, so he continued up the other stairs and exchanges fire with my buddy, and they both die. I get credit for the kill.

Really stupid how random people will just shoot on sight whether there's anything to be gained or not. My friend was not an immediate threat as he had his binoculars up and was looking out the window up the road for movement, and they both ended up having the same AK, with the random guy having plenty of ammo, food, and water. There was nothing to be gained, yet he put himself at a needless risk by rushing into a location without knowing how many people were there, and paid the price for it. I realize it's an entirely sandbox game and people are going to play how they want, but I think there's still too many people that view the game as a pure deathmatch, without considering any alternative playing methods.

Really stupid how random people will just shoot on sight whether there's anything to be gained or not. My friend was not an immediate threat as he had his binoculars up and was looking out the window up the road for movement, and they both ended up having the same AK, with the random guy having plenty of ammo, food, and water. There was nothing to be gained, yet he put himself at a needless risk by rushing into a location without knowing how many people were there, and paid the price for it. I realize it's an entirely sandbox game and people are going to play how they want, but I think there's still too many people that view the game as a pure deathmatch, without considering any alternative playing methods.

It's because, right now, there are ZERO repercussions for PKing. Before at least there was a bandit skin so you could kind of tell who was a PKer, but they got rid of that (dumb move IMO) so now it's just a bunch of ultra-paranoid people who shoot first.

why I still solo the game, run away from the areas closest to the spawns and avoid all other human players at all costs.

It's because, right now, there are ZERO repercussions for PKing. Before at least there was a bandit skin so you could kind of tell who was a PKer, but they got rid of that (dumb move IMO) so now it's just a bunch of ultra-paranoid people who shoot first.

The way to punish PKing is by making zombies more numerous, more sensitive to gunshots, and tougher. That's why they're there in the first place - to suppress PKing.

Back