Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

Okay, three of my friends bought it and them yelling, laughing, and screaming over Mumble was enough to convince me and another to buy it. A gang of five is going to be fun. :cool:

Gunned down some people in an airfield and got a truck, van, and quad out of it.

Added to our inflatable boat and we have a huge repository of vehicles at base now. :D

Most fun I've had was once you've gotten the essentials (can live away from cities with water bottles and can hunt/cook your own food), is trying to find a slightly better weapon. You have enough to survive away from cities and don't have to fear much for player assassination attempts.

Once you get a nice backpack, and all the gadgets and gizmo's... I get bored. I need some objectives or alternative "end-game" ideas. Build a car? Why? I've got everything I need. A chopper? Again, why? If there was a "goal" to or some safe haven that you could work towards maybe I'd enjoy it more.

I end up having more fun in Arma 2's "Warfare" mission. You start with a little bit of money, kill stuff, buy progressively nicer things, then blow up the other teams base and win. Fun, simple, and within a few hours you can walk away from the game victorious.

Spawned in Electro somewhat irate after losing a tonne of good loot, ran into the cafe just next of a high yield building, found 2 dead humans at the top of the stairs, and a load of dead zombies, peered around and it was safe.

Looted an ALICE pack, every tool possible except the toolbox and gps, AK with about 5 mags, 1911 with 4 mags, 2-3 bloodbags, morphine, meat and tinned food, several water bottles and a few other things and BANG DEAD!!

Damnit, so there's 3 of us laying there dead and the guy had been in the room next to me the whole time, runs over to me and start looting all that kit off me as I watch in death cam, and BANG, he dies and slumps over, shot by someone else (I couldn't see)

Was laughing my ass off for ages at that, absolutely brilliant.

I had a great experience a few days ago. I started in the one of the western small towns. Generally my MO at that point is to grab an axe from the warehouse by the pier at the third town from the edge of the map, then head to the airfield. The first time I did this is was hiding behind two burnt out Humvies across the airfield from the flight control tower. Crouching just trying to figure out my next move....

I see this figure sprint across the open ground on the other side and start to climb the ladder on the side of the control tower. This was the second survivor I have ever seen. The first being someone on a quad flying by while I was running unarmed from two zombies down the road... Anyway, Axe in hand, Him with a rifle clearly on his back. Hmmm. Fuck it right?

I went for it. Once he was on top of the ladder I sprinted across the airfield and to the base of the building. Snuck to the ladder, climbed, saw he was crouched in the middle of the control tower... Facing the other way. He never saw it coming. I went from just an Ax to an AK Kobra with 5 clips, Cooked food, Pistol, tools...

Keep in mind this was the second survivor I had ever seen... I freaked out and ran high tailed it out of there and ran into the woods and logged off.

That was the start of an epic trek across the map to the NW airfield with my brother. We both racked up around 100 zombie kills that round. I was killed at the airfield, he avenged, then in the process of linking up again we ran into an AA vehicle which blew us up =/ what the hell.

An AA vehicle? As in Anti-Air? Really? Don't think any armed vehicles are in the game at all other than the Hueys (which are disabled at the moment anyway.) Sounds like the script kiddies are back at it again. I've heard reports of some servers suffering from cheaters where they nuke the map and kill everyone and everything.

We both knew it wasn't supposed to be there. I told him to hang back as he had all the gear and I tried to get in it :) Think someone was afk in the drivers seat. It was out of ammo in the gunner seat...

We should have logged off the second we saw it... It started to drive off and we randomly fell over dead.

Probably wasn't AFK, more likely he was busy activating the script to kill everyone in the server... :(

Alright, I have to chime-in here, because you guys are freakin' killing me with all the talk of this mod.

Is it actually worth buying A2 just for this mod?
Is it something that will have any decent longevity?

I've heard (in a well-done vid I watched) you only need the DLC pack if you want certain high-res characters, otherwise you just need A2:CO, is that right?

I don't remember what DLC is what that was needed for the high-res characters.

Is it more difficult to install manually?
Some people suggest the SixUpdater, some people don't use it, so I don't know.

The mod definitely sounds like it would be far more fun with other people to get your back, so I don't want to drop the cash on it if it's just going to get frustrating. I don't know anyone who plays it, though I know sometimes you might hook-up with someone decent in-game and travel together, but that's probably a slim chance.

Oh, also... what would be the point of vehicles in the mod?
Seems like just one more thing to make you stand out and people to kill you for if they happen to want to drive around for what ever reason.

I would say it's worth buying just for the mod, although I would consider waiting for the Steam summer sales, it will probably be only $10-15 if it goes on sale. You also don't need the DLCs unless you want the better resolution textures on all the characters. I beleive it uses models from both PMC and BAF.

It's a bit of a pain to install manually, mainly because you have to download the individual files, and when updates come out only certain ones are updated. SixUpdater is easy enough to use to keep the game and mod up to date. It will automatically update DayZ as well as the beta patches. I wouldn't really recommend using it to launch the game or join directly into servers, as the interface and options aren't user friendly at all, and this is coming from someone who's been into computers for 25 years.

And vehicles right now are just to speed up traveling from place to place, as well as to store items in. If you're driving around, you're not that much of a target while you're moving for most people, although a coordinated clan could setup an ambush if they know you're in the area and such.

Alright, I have to chime-in here, because you guys are freakin' killing me with all the talk of this mod.

Is it actually worth buying A2 just for this mod?
Is it something that will have any decent longevity?

Depends on who you talk to. Personally, I would say not unless it goes on sale. However, I also think ArmA 2 is an awesome game so I'd say buy it anyway. But if you're only interesting in DayZ and will probably never play A2 original, then no.

Longevity...it's still alpha, so I assume many more features will be added. IMO, I don't see myself playing it for a really long time. It's more of a "spend several hours running around, then die, then start over and do the same thing" type of situation unless you have a large group or a pre-established base with some people on a server. Going at it lone wolf is often a very slow and frustrating experience.

I've heard (in a well-done vid I watched) you only need the DLC pack if you want certain high-res characters, otherwise you just need A2:CO, is that right?

I don't remember what DLC is what that was needed for the high-res characters.

Correct. I think it uses some of the PMC DLC characters, so if you want regular-res models/textures for them then you need to buy the DLC. Otherwise, just A2:CO.

Is it more difficult to install manually?
Some people suggest the SixUpdater, some people don't use it, so I don't know.

I wouldn't say it's difficult but I have a lot of experience with ArmA 2 and mods. I personally use Six Updater and highly recommend it, though. There are some other stand-alone installers, but I can't speak for the integrity of those.

The mod definitely sounds like it would be far more fun with other people to get your back, so I don't want to drop the cash on it if it's just going to get frustrating. I don't know anyone who plays it, though I know sometimes you might hook-up with someone decent in-game and travel together, but that's probably a slim chance.

That's a valid concern. If you don't have a dedicated group I would not recommend buying the game just for this mod unless, like I said, there's a sale and/or you're interested in vanilla A2/OA.

Oh, also... what would be the point of vehicles in the mod?
Seems like just one more thing to make you stand out and people to kill you for if they happen to want to drive around for what ever reason.

Just to get around faster and be harder to shoot, I guess. Mostly getting around faster. It's a 225 km^2 terrain and unless you enjoy either sticking around one or two towns, or running for hours on end, it's nice to have a vehicle. But yeah, you would become a target for bandits probably.

I appreciate all the feedback, guys.

This is so much my type of game, that for me, I'm seriously considering buying the game just for mod, because it's exactly the type of thing I'm into.

I think the only problem I have is, as mentioned, being a lone wolf until/unless there's anyone I can hook-up with.

- Are there any good clans around looking for other people/who help out new people?

- Question regarding controls/mechanics: are the controls/mechanics the same as ArmA? Such as things like eating, drinking, using a tent or something etc.?

I ask because I'd get used to it in the actual game first if so, if the inventory system and how things are used are similar. Makes for less time with inventory open waiting to get eaten by a zombie or sniped by another player, ha ha.

Two more questions:
- I've been reading that you now need the BETA of ArmA to run the mod? Is this accurate? If so, does installing it mess with the official game when you have it installed?

- Is it necessary to mess with the command parameters as to not have anything mess up with auto-updating by using commands such as the following somewhere in the GUI:
--skip-autoupdate (Do not run the auto-self-update program. Especially useful for use in automation tools)

I wouldn't even know where/how to do that, and there seems to be a ton of info with this mod that's rather overwhelming for even the launcher etc.

Last edited:
I bought the game just for the mod, then all the DLC's just for the textures and to support he developer after how -thoroughly- impressed I was. Ended up playing base ARMA II last night after almost 2 weeks of nothing but DayZ and was blown away again. Very well done.

There are always people recruiting but beware, some are bandit clans that are a lure, most are legit though. I got into an awesome clan playing on the US Colorado servers on my second day; after shooting the server admin in the face in a zombie firefight. Was an intersting night over all. :p

As for the vehicle quesiton: Vehicles are rare and require parts to fix them even after you find them, unless you steal them from someone else. They seat anywhere from 2 to 14(!) people and allow you to carry an immense amount of gear. They make multi-person OPS insanely fun and allow for more security during travel. Swing just outside of town, drop off the fire team, pull out and defend the vehicle while the team moves in. Once the objective is secure, roll in with the vehicle, fill it up with lewts, load up and peel out back to camp to store the booty.

Every experience in this game is made from a sandbox environment, nothing is scripted, making every moment your own.

Edit: Also, not sure if posted yet, but new beta patch is out for ARMA 2!

Edit edit:

-No, the beta does not mess with the base game at all, it even installs to it's own folder, allowing you to launch vanilla or regular.

-No, no launch options are required to prevent it from patching, as the beta patches are not available through steam and must be downloaded from the official site and ran. It's an easy process though, Download, open, 2x click, OK, Done. :D

- Yes, the controls are the same. In fact, I have been told the ARMA 2 base game bootcamp prior to DayZ is highly recommended. I did not use it though, jumped right in for the most painful experience possible. Ha! :D

Edit x3: Peddle bike only seats one!

Last edited:
Very briefly:

A2 = ARMA II, the original game
A2F = ARMA II Free, a free version of A2, with no single-player campaign or high resolution textures. You can see the significant difference in textures in this video (watch it at 1080p). Day Z will have the reduced textures if you use this instead of A2.
OA = ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead, the expansion. Day Z requires this. OA requires either A2 or (with some technical tricks) A2F. Normal price $20 on Steam, may be found for as low as $13 elsewhere.
CO = ARMA II: Combined Operations = A2 + OA. On Steam for $30 normal price; the Steam Summer Sale will hopefully have a reduced price for this.
BAF = ARMA II: British Armed Forces = first DLC, usually $10 on Steam. I'm not aware that this has any effect on Day Z.
PMC = ARMA II: Private Military Company = second DLC, usually $10 on Steam. In Day Z will improve textures, but only on the zombies, so probably not worth bothering with just for the mod.
AX = ARMA X: Anniversary Edition = a package that includes A2, OA, BAF, PMC, and the original ARMA: Gold Edition and ARMA: Cold War Assault. Normal price $60 on Steam.

AX = ARMA X: Anniversary Edition = a package that includes A2, OA, BAF, PMC, and the original ARMA: Gold Edition and ARMA: Cold War Assault. Normal price $60 on Steam.

If you go through the official site I think it is 47.99 and you get some books and a printed map! (Still activiates on steam, I am told) [Wish I would have done this]

I bought the game just for the mod, then all the DLC's just for the textures and to support he developer after how -thoroughly- impressed I was. Ended up playing base ARMA II last night after almost 2 weeks of nothing but DayZ and was blown away again. Very well done.

There are always people recruiting but beware, some are bandit clans that are a lure, most are legit though. I got into an awesome clan playing on the US Colorado servers on my second day; after shooting the server admin in the face in a zombie firefight. Was an intersting night over all. :p

As for the vehicle quesiton: Vehicles are rare and require parts to fix them even after you find them, unless you steal them from someone else. They seat anywhere from 2 to 14(!) people and allow you to carry an immense amount of gear. They make multi-person OPS insanely fun and allow for more security during travel. Swing just outside of town, drop off the fire team, pull out and defend the vehicle while the team moves in. Once the objective is secure, roll in with the vehicle, fill it up with lewts, load up and peel out back to camp to store the booty.

Every experience in this game is made from a sandbox environment, nothing is scripted, making every moment your own.

Edit: Also, not sure if posted yet, but new beta patch is out for ARMA 2!

Edit edit:

-No, the beta does not mess with the base game at all, it even installs to it's own folder, allowing you to launch vanilla or regular.

-No, no launch options are required to prevent it from patching, as the beta patches are not available through steam and must be downloaded from the official site and ran. It's an easy process though, Download, open, 2x click, OK, Done. :D

- Yes, the controls are the same. In fact, I have been told the ARMA 2 base game bootcamp prior to DayZ is highly recommended. I did not use it though, jumped right in for the most painful experience possible. Ha! :D

Edit x3: Peddle bike only seats one!

Wow, again, thanks for the info! Very helpful.

I'm confused on the whole BETA thing though...

Are you/they just talking about the BETA patch?
Not a BETA of of the actual game?

If you need the actual BETA, where's the best place to dl it?
I'm only finding the patch.

I'm totally lost regarding this situation, ha ha.

- Also, if you buy just CO, are the textures still high-res?

Bah, one more question, sorry....
- Do you need to edit the command line and launch from CO (not Arrowhead) for the mod still in Steam?

As I said, there's a metric ton of instructions just to get this thing installed. Little hard to know just what the hell I'm doing.

Last edited:
Gorathoth, it's super simple to install Day-Z.

1. Install Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead.
2. Run them both once just to get updates, etc. Make sure to install the anti-cheat when it asks.
3. Go to http://www.six-updater.net/p/download.html and download it.
4. Open it, hit Install
5. Pick a server, you're good to go.

(Hope I'm answering what you're asking)

Gorathoth, it's super simple to install Day-Z.

1. Install Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead.
2. Run them both once just to get updates, etc. Make sure to install the anti-cheat when it asks.
3. Go to http://www.six-updater.net/p/download.html and download it.
4. Open it, hit Install
5. Pick a server, you're good to go.

(Hope I'm answering what you're asking)

Yeah, pretty much, but I don't get all the talk about the beta/beta patch. I've dl'd the patch, but there's no "beta" for the game anywhere.

I've got SixUpdater dl'd, just waiting for the actual game to finish dl'ing.

So, there's no need for editing command lines in Steam or moving files anymore etc.?

The command line edit for CO is supposedly needed to be able to launch the actual mod, from what I'm reading, as is the BETA files and moving/editing those files.

I don't know which set of instructions to follow.

You shouldn't need to edit anything, just launch through six updater. The instructions provided just above are accurate unless it six updater doesnt install the ->BETA PATCH<- then you can get it from the official site. It can be easily rolled back without issue but it is required to play the mod.

Six Updater usually automatically includes prerequisite files for mods, so I would think that it would (or very soon will) install the beta along with DayZ since the beta is now a requirement.

You shouldn't need to edit anything, just launch through six updater. The instructions provided just above are accurate unless it six updater doesnt install the ->BETA PATCH<- then you can get it from the official site. It can be easily rolled back without issue but it is required to play the mod.

Ah, so it's what I thought...

SixUpdater basically takes care of everything now, right? Does it all for ya?

That's what it's been sounding like, though no one has said it directly anywhere.

So, it's just the BETA patch that it might not install. If it doesn't, I just run the patch from anywhere/any folder and good to go? Or do I have to put the patch in a certain folder and follow any of the instructions on editing certain patch files/folders?

Such as the following Wiki instructions:

Steam Version
Go to the Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead directory (for example C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead) and right-click -> edit on .cmd file "_runA2CO_beta.cmd". Search for ":run" near the end of the file. Add ";@dayz" without quotes to "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca".

Do I need to do that, since I have the Steam version?

Thanks again.

I wrote up a short little Six Updater guide earlier in the thread - here.

Might help.

And yeah, if you launch through Steam you need to do that. If you launch through Six Updater you shouldn't need to.

I wrote up a short little Six Updater guide earlier in the thread - here.

Might help.

And yeah, if you launch through Steam you need to do that. If you launch through Six Updater you shouldn't need to.

Oh, so I can just launch through SixUpdater then?
Do you have to have Steam open though if that's where you bought/installed the game?

So I'm guessing that I'll just have to run the patch if SixUpdater doesn't install it, then just launch through SixUpdater, and good to go?

(P.S. Are the rest of the in-game textures still high-res without the DLC?)

Actually, no, I'm pretty sure you don't have to have Steam opened, because when I launch (I use ArmA 2 Launcher, which is a separate program from Six) Steam never comes up and it doesn't show that I'm playing it in Steam.

Pretty sure Steam is just a distribution mechanism for this game. It's not really integrated in a major way.

As for textures, they should be high-res as long as you got the full ArmA 2 and not the free version.

Actually, no, I'm pretty sure you don't have to have Steam opened, because when I launch (I use ArmA 2 Launcher, which is a separate program from Six) Steam never comes up and it doesn't show that I'm playing it in Steam.

Pretty sure Steam is just a distribution mechanism for this game. It's not really integrated in a major way.

As for textures, they should be high-res as long as you got the full ArmA 2 and not the free version.

Huh, that's odd...

The launcher you use is a separate program?
Or you just make a shortcut?

For Arrowhead, I'm assuming as well? Since that's what I've read you have to launch from.

Yeah, I'm dl'ing the full version so the textures should be high-res then.

Last edited:
Got our vehicles stolen last night! Someone happened across our camp in narnia and jacked em..

Then they drove them down the coast like nublets, and we just happened to be next to the highway just east of Elecktro..

Killed 3 guys out of our van, but the truck got away. Then the server reset and the van was AWOL. :(

Oh well, time to rebuild! :D

Question for players... Are there any servers that use a faster clock? I work all day and I'd like to play the game in virtual day time instead of coming home at night and playing in the the virtual dark.

Question for players... Are there any servers that use a faster clock? I work all day and I'd like to play the game in virtual day time instead of coming home at night and playing in the the virtual dark.

It's all on a real-world timescale but a lot of servers have their time offset. Just look for your timezone -5 or 6 or whatever.

Got our vehicles stolen last night! Someone happened across our camp in narnia and jacked em..

Then they drove them down the coast like nublets, and we just happened to be next to the highway just east of Elecktro..

Killed 3 guys out of our van, but the truck got away. Then the server reset and the van was AWOL. :(

Oh well, time to rebuild! :D

I forget: are vehicles and strongholds you build (sandbags, traps etc) the one thing that's not across servers?
Aren't vehicles only on the specific server you build it on?

Just something I read somewhere...

Your situation is example of why I absolutely love this mod, more like it's own damn game. I played about six+ hours yesterday; was totally hooked!

Were they full-out bandits?
Haven't run across any as of yet.

My wife and I definitely want to find some others to get together with. I've a feeling I'll spending way too much time in Day Z! In Alpha, it's better than most other supposed "survival horror" games out there.

I forget: are vehicles and strongholds you build (sandbags, traps etc) the one thing that's not across servers?
Aren't vehicles only on the specific server you build it on?

Vehicles and placeable objects such as barbed wire and sandbags are server specific, yeah.

Your situation is example of why I absolutely love this mod, more like it's own damn game. I played about six+ hours yesterday; was totally hooked!

Its extremely fun. I've played Eve for 7 years and this is the only game that can get my blood pumping and my adrenaline flowing in the same way. That feeling of impending doom every time you enter combat is just... addictive.

IWere they full-out bandits?
Haven't run across any as of yet.

Don't know. Probably not, they were way too inexperienced to be considered bandits IMO. Driving along the shore in a truck is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. They just got lucky and found our spot way up north west. My group would be considered bandits though, every vehicle we have has been the result of a shootout somewhere. Preferred weapon for me is the CZ550 and a M1911 + ghillie suit.

My wife and I definitely want to find some others to get together with. I've a feeling I'll spending way too much time in Day Z! In Alpha, it's better than most other supposed "survival horror" games out there.

There's a pretty huge community. I'd invite you to join us, but our Mumble conversations are not really fit to interact with polite society.

Vehicles and placeable objects such as barbed wire and sandbags are server specific, yeah.

Its extremely fun. I've played Eve for 7 years and this is the only game that can get my blood pumping and my adrenaline flowing in the same way. That feeling of impending doom every time you enter combat is just... addictive.

Don't know. Probably not, they were way too inexperienced to be considered bandits IMO. Driving along the shore in a truck is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. They just got lucky and found our spot way up north west. My group would be considered bandits though, every vehicle we have has been the result of a shootout somewhere. Preferred weapon for me is the CZ550 and a M1911 + ghillie suit.

There's a pretty huge community. I'd invite you to join us, but our Mumble conversations are not really fit to interact with polite society.

Haha, then you've yet to know with whom you're speaking. ;)

By all means, if you guys are into teamwork and rowdy (but mature, you know), invite me/us!

We're extremely mature, but "real"... not "polite society" by any means. Foul language etc., part of every day life. I just keep it clean as possible on [H].

Thanks for the info as well!

I've yet to even find any heavier weapons, armor (if any?) etc. but it's tough when you're running lone wolf, so definitely looking for a good group.

I know exactly what you mean... the feeling in the game is just intense. I didn't expect the ambiance with the music/soundscapes to be what it was either and absolutely love it! It's massively addictive for me. I love the mechanics as well, despite any current bugs.

One thing I'm curious about...

If you kill in self-defense, I'm assuming there's no coding in-place yet to differentiate that from a "normal" outright murder?

They should try to do something about that, because if you become a bandit (to which there are some disadvantages, though I don't know them all) out of killing in self defense, that's rather unfair.

Or you could just run and either get killed and start over, or hopefully get away, but it goes down quick.

Friend and I made it around 8 hours survival time. We started with five of us (meeting up was difficult, heh) towards the barracks. On the way there, one broke his leg so we had to make a detour to a hospital to find morphine. Unfortunately it must have just gotten raided as there was none there, so we headed towards other towns. Unbeknownst to be, I actually had a morphine the entire time, I just didn't know what it actually did. My friends and I didn't even find this out until one of them shot me in the back with a bolt from his crossbow in a middle-of-the-town zombie battle, so I asked them if anything I had would cure my broken leg, and they told me. In that same battle, another friend broke his leg (so a total of three broke legs between the five of us before I used my morphine). We decided it would be better to just put those two out of their misery. Damn that was hilarious.

Continuing on with three of us, one of them broke their leg in another zombie battle and he crawled for what seemed like miles, until we decided to put him out of his misery (and ours) too, lol. So now it's just down to me and my last friend, still heading towards the Barracks. We sneak in slowly (but not slow enough apparently) and it takes us forever to get to an actual building, between all the aggroing and having to run out to the field to not draw more aggro while killing. Unfortunately this led to my friend getting his leg broken as well. I decided to charge into the building (one entrance) and hold up in there with my total of 8-9 mags of ammo, hoping to find a morphine. I racked up over 60 zombie kills sitting in that corner just continuously killing zombies as they came nonstop for me, and unfortunately there was no morphine. I ran the hell out of there but stupidly turned around to fire a shot and that zombie broke my leg. I went down with five zombies smashing my face in before I finally ran out of ammo. My friend also died at that point too.

Fun times, but so fucking involved. I felt like I couldn't even go eat or take a piss break because I always had to watch my surroundings. I realized I could have just logged out, but I didn't want to hold back four of my friends. Can't wait to see what the developers have in store for us during the rest of alpha/beta/release.

Anyone having frame rate drop(s) when ya' zoom in on anything? Game runs great until I scope in on someone..Wondering if it's some setting I can decrease.

For me, turning down/off Anti-Aliasing in-game helped that problem a lot. You can still use FXAA or SMAA via the .cfg file (should be included in the GUI in 1.61).

Is the screen suppose to be blurry when you turn your head? I haven't install any other files except for the game file on their website. I've been reading about you guys installing beta files, what does that file do?

Is the screen suppose to be blurry when you turn your head? I haven't install any other files except for the game file on their website. I've been reading about you guys installing beta files, what does that file do?

Try turning Post Processing to Low or Very Low (or Disabled).

Back