Dauntless. The Free MHW thats really really good!

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Downloaded it last night and its really, really fun. So far the wife and 2 friends are into it and we are all having a blast. No pay to win so far.

Its free!
https://playdauntless.com/

My name is Espin679 and my wife is Midna845.

I thought it was OK.

It definitely felt like a dumbed-down version of MHW; which I guess could be good since MHW is a little complex for some.

I haven't uninstalled it, which means I will most likely be coming back to it.

I didnt really have much MH experience prior to playing Dauntless, it does have a lot of potential if they do it right. Slap on a lot of skins and badass looking weapons and armor and you'll have people coming back for more. A lot of people like myself when playing games look for something to show your achievements and accomplishments. I like the whole get in and out gameplay, I have 1h to game I can get in get a few in and leave. I've been playing MHW and it is indeed a good game and you'll spend countless amount of hours into it unless you're just not into that type of genre. I still have Dauntless installed in hopes it'll get better over time but now that MHW came out I'll be playing that in the meantime since it does have that we'll make you look badass the more you play kinda feeling.

From what I understand a patch came out the other day which added new weapons, new island and a new monster with continious patches coming out over the next few weeks. Instead of 1 giant patch, they are trickling it in.

They got rid of the infinite bulwark potion glitch a few patches back :( Now I'll have to actually pay attention again.

Downloaded it earlier, played a few missions. Very monster hunter, but less punishing in the early fights. Aesthetics remind me of Fortnite (what little I've played)

Enjoyable, is framerate capped at 62fps unless you tweak an .ini file.

Will probably play some more tonight after kids are asleep.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
If this is cross platform I'll give it a try since my cousin has PS4 and I play on PC. That's a huge plus over MH.

so far its been fun to play. I think it will become boring fast though. As the monsters always seem to be located in the same spot.

I am also not a fan of the matchmaking as most games I cant understand anything people are saying. They need to let you choose a local server somehow.

I have also had some extreme wait times to log in and play.

the crossplay concept is cool but the servers absolutely suck. maybe they are much busier than they ever expected, but doing a lot of stuff just takes forever. connecting, getting an instance for a game, matchmaking, etc. monsterhunter is a much better game, but still the concept is pretty solid, assuming they can fix the servers and the delays.

I wish they had more weapons like MH does. I've really only spent time on the war pike, which is considered the worst weapon in the current meta. I need to give the others a shot and see if I enjoy them. I was a lance/gunlance/switchaxe focused player in Monster Hunter. The servers are pretty slow today, though they were better the last few nights.

Is the playerbase as putrid as one expects of an F2P, or is it even worse due to the type of game? Non-competitive MMO-like F2Ps attract the worst kind of people.

No pay to win so far.

It will be. Sales of vanity items will not cover their operational costs, let alone return a profit. First they have to get people playing, then slowly introduce the character boosts and extra powerful weapon packs and extra classes and so on forever.

Last edited:
currency sold to beat the time sinks will be where they make their money. That and people needing to skip past gathering materials to level up.

Is the playerbase as putrid as one expects of an F2P, or is it even worse due to the type of game? Non-competitive MMO-like F2Ps attract the worst kind of people.

It will be. Sales of vanity items will not cover their operational costs, let alone return a profit. First they have to get people playing, then slowly introduce the character boosts and extra powerful weapon packs and extra classes and so on forever.

The playerbase is pretty good. I haven't had any bad interactions in the week or so i;ve been back. I had mostly positive interactions during the beta.

As for eventually being P2W, its currently the same model it has been for the last year so hopefully going gold won't change it. i still haven't spent a cent on this game yet and am at slayer level 25 so for me i can't see anything gameplay-wise they'd add that would entice me to spend money outside of actual hunts.

Back