Daughter spilled soda on rig, need new GPU for ~$150

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
I have (had) a Gigabyte GTX 660 that I think I paid like ~$180 for over a year ago. I was actually quite fond of it. After a day of drying outside, lots of testing, even a tiny trip in the oven, the poor thing remains dead as a doornail :(

Is there anyway I can replace it for around $150 today?

If you look used, you can probably get a 660 Ti for around $180. If you're really firm at $150, you can definitely get a 660 for that price.

Hmm. Im not 100% firm at $150 but I guess Im a bit disappointed in the lack in drop in prices from 1.5 years ago. My fried card is the same price (new, retail) as it was when I bought it.

I guess I will look for used 660ti's. Thanks for the feedback.

i would be here on the BST and get more for my money ( I almost never buy new PC gear... i just dont hang on to it that long and then you dont lose as much value in depreciation) there are 7950's that can be flashed to 7970s for about that price here on the BST.

not sure about the Geforce line

Gigabyte 750ti right now with rebates drops the price to around $130 last I checked. Even their overclocked black edition gets you to $150 after rebate.
Solid card unless you play the latest games larger then HD with everything turned up to max.

Gigabyte 750ti right now with rebates drops the price to around $130 last I checked. Even their overclocked black edition gets you to $150 after rebate.
Solid card unless you play the latest games larger then HD with everything turned up to max.

Would be my recommendation as well, might as well get some newer tech while you at it;)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Wouldnt a 750 ti be a bit slower than a gtx 660?

LT1-Z/28, sent you a PM.

750 ti gets a bit too much praise and yes its a downgrade from the 660. Other than the outstanding performance per watt the 750 ti is not a super impressive card. The next step up in the 7 series is the 760 and it will blow the 750 ti away being well over 50% faster. Thats the largest gap I ever recall seeing in a line up. And even with a 760 you will be turning down settings in the demanding games so not sure why ep0x73 acts like its more than enough at 1080 for the latest games.

Last edited:
600 series cards are overpriced and rare for some reason. It's actually worse with the higher-end models like my MSI 670 PE. I thought about getting a second card for SLI with it, and I couldn't find a new one for less than $580. That's about $100 more than I paid for my first one. So I decided to do without SLI and just use the extra slots for a Sound Blaster ZxR and maybe a PCI-E SSD.

Anyway, the new 660 cards are available at online retailers for only about $30 above your asking price, and you get a $20 rebate with some of them. If you can manage to sell your old damaged card on eBay as "For parts/not working," you might get another $10-$20 out of it (some people enjoy finding other uses for them or giving themselves a challenge to fix broken stuff). That should bring you down to around $150.

Hmm. Im not 100% firm at $150 but I guess Im a bit disappointed in the lack in drop in prices from 1.5 years ago. My fried card is the same price (new, retail) as it was when I bought it.

I guess I will look for used 660ti's. Thanks for the feedback.

If you're willing to look used you definitely will find a slew of 7950's at ebay for less than $150. You might even step into a 7970 which is definitely better than anything else in the pricepoint

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zotac-gefor...179?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1e8f2e4943

For buy it now, those are decent prices. I would opt for the EVGA. Alternatively there are auctions going for less. Maybe 150. Depends on how much you care about 30 bucks.

If you don't mind AMD, there are probably still tons of leftover mining cards, and yes they work fine.

Edit nvm I just noticed this guy has 0 feedback...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-760-2gb-/321473945667?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4ad9572043

Zotac's the best option for you I guess.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back