Data Recovery Software

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I had a user today bring me a flash drive. They said they had accidentally deleted an entire folder off of the drive. Anyone have any experience trying to recover data like this? Any suggestions of some good free software to use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

look into CAINE, a live-linux distro for disk forensics. Though if they have adding things to the drive since erasing it, there isn't much chance of getting the data back.

I use DEFT sometimes when the need arises. I took at look at the flash drive in Autopsy. I am no pro at it but I can get it to find the folder that was deleted but can seem to find the files that folder contained. I thought that maybe there was an easier free tool out there, but maybe I just need to dig deeper. :)

The user said they just "backed up" the flash drive after the folder was deleted. Said they didnt write any other files to it.

Z.A.R.
Used it to recover a 4gig flash drive a guy accidently formatted. Got all his files back. He was so happy, he bought me lunch in addition to paying me.

Data recovery jobs are always fun because most customers seem think you're some sort of genius when everything magically reappears... :p

Back