Dashpuppy Get's His first Real Piece of Cisco Gear

ASA 5505, 50 User license, standard license (no secplus).

Will get a picture of the setup (it's a college radio station).

The setup is kind of gross right now, I'm redoing it this summer. (the network is a total mess, patch cables everywhere. i'm ashamed that's my work).

Oh I didn't see he wanted Gig. Yeah GL.

yeah gig, would be nice, everything in my house has a gig card in it, and when i move ill be running all new cat cbale all over the house for everything.

'Real' Cisco gigabit switches - a 2960G would likely be the cheapest point of entry - but that's still pretty damn expensive.

HP is likely the better option for a home production setup. FastEthernet switches can be obtained cheaply enough for home laboratory use.

/facepalm

gui and ciso?! Not gonna happen, you can have one or the other, not both.

ASDM is shit, i would highly recommend not using it.

Cheapest gig cisco switch you can get is a 2970. In comparison, they are relatively cheap.

Wait.. I forgot you can get a full GUI cisco switch, the CE500! (The biggest piece of shit cisco ever produced and exactly why no one knows what I'm talking about. That or they're cringing at the thought.)

@WesM63 - What about the Cisco SMB 300 series - from what I've heard, they're not awful.

@WesM63 - What about the Cisco SMB 300 series - from what I've heard, they're not awful.

I don't think I'd use a router or switch from Cisco that didn't run IOS (or some CLI, like XE, NX-OS, etc). Do the SMB devices run IOS?

Nope, not IOS. They have a serial port, but it runs a menu-based interface, something like the old HP switches (I'm thinking 4000M management).

Depending on how I can prod the Student Senate into giving us a grant, we might be able to get some real Cisco hardware (I know the 2960 can do L3, can the 2970 series do this too?)

The 2960 is VERY basic L3...and buggy at that.

What bugginess have you run into? I've run L3 on a couple, but I didn't try to push them or anything. They're pretty awesome for a branch WAN edge if you only need static routes, which is where I've used them.

What bugginess have you run into? I've run L3 on a couple, but I didn't try to push them or anything. They're pretty awesome for a branch WAN edge if you only need static routes, which is where I've used them.

I think they've been fixed but the initial release of IOS that supported it had some real problems...routes that simply didn't work...all sorts of quirkiness.

You learn something new every day. I didn't know the 2960s could have SVIs and static routes.

And NetJunkie, are you referring to the 2960S? I've heard they are a little buggy.

Also, I have some 3560s and 3750s. Those are all some loud suckers. I wouldn't use them for home network infrastructure, as their fans are loud unless you're putting them in a closet or hiding them in a basement like some do.

Yep..2960S...and yes, they are loud. I have a 2960S sitting right here in my home lab that I use for some things but as soon as I'm done it gets shut down and the fanless HP goes back online.

You learn something new every day. I didn't know the 2960s could have SVIs and static routes.

And NetJunkie, are you referring to the 2960S? I've heard they are a little buggy.

Also, I have some 3560s and 3750s. Those are all some loud suckers. I wouldn't use them for home network infrastructure, as their fans are loud unless you're putting them in a closet or hiding them in a basement like some do.

I use a 3750G-24T at home. It's not too horrible.

I use a 3750G-24T at home. It's not too horrible.

Sexy unit,

396912050_o.jpg

back to the thread now :) how do i start configuring this beast ? Or updating it ? Or actually doing something with it as it's on and doing nothing LOL

After spending a hour on dell's website building my self a new server quote, i have not decided if i want to buy a dell srver R210 or R310, OR build a supermicro unit.

However Supermicro units are not quiet :( and the R310 & R210 are......

If you have a smartnet contract, download the latest version of IOS for that device and use FTP to transfer it to the Flash (Cisco TFTP or Solar Winds or whatever running on your PC that's connected to the switch).

And it also depends on what you want to do with the switch. Out of the box, it works. You could configure link aggregation, flex links, spanning tree, VLANs, 802.1Q trunks, VACLs, ACLs, QoS, SVIs, NAC, DHCP snooping, DAI inspection, DHCP or just use it as a paper weight.

Console port: 9600 8N1. Connect that to a serial port, then google configuring the IP address of interfaces (so you can telnet in).

Next, sell the router on eBay, and buy switches, and use dynamips for CCNA training. Then play with routing protocol and qos setting on dynamips connect to cisco switch. 2950 are good.

Console port: 9600 8N1. Connect that to a serial port, then google configuring the IP address of interfaces (so you can telnet in).

Next, sell the router on eBay, and buy switches, and use dynamips for CCNA training. Then play with routing protocol and qos setting on dynamips connect to cisco switch. 2950 are good.

If he doesn't have a serial port, use one of those USB to DB9 connectors. And if you open Putty/Teraterm/Hyperterm/whatever, just hit reset to default for the console connection.

And some people like the feel and experience of actually using the real equipment. I just bought a new laptop with an i7 and 8GB (to play around with Dynamips while studying for CCIP and to mess around with ESX inside of vmWare workstation).

But I prefer to use the real equipment.

I was teaching this civilian CCNA and he had no clue how to console into a router or how to make CAT5 cable.

No exposure to the WIC/HWIC slots, etc. Dynamips/Packet Tracer/IOU aren't bad resources to get your feet wet though.

I wish there was something as simple for Juniper besides Olive or Junipshere.

I use the SG 300-10 10-Port Gigabit Managed Switch as my home network switch. If anyone has any questions let me know.

MPs0j.jpg

FOR CCENT/CCNA studies i use GNS3 and a real lab!

Good idea. Dynamips is good for CCNP Route too, but the real equipment introduces real-world situations.

Like I remember I was helping a coworker setup a class room for labs, and we couldn't get a router to "take" configs. It turns out the conf reg was 2142.

You won't run into it with Dynamips, Packet Tracer or IOU.

And AMD Gamer, I have the same switch in the 20-port configuration. I wish it had a CLI like a "REAL" Cisco switch.

What do you have connected to it in your home?

Good idea. Dynamips is good for CCNP Route too, but the real equipment introduces real-world situations.

Like I remember I was helping a coworker setup a class room for labs, and we couldn't get a router to "take" configs. It turns out the conf reg was 2142.

You won't run into it with Dynamips, Packet Tracer or IOU.

And AMD Gamer, I have the same switch in the 20-port configuration. I wish it had a CLI like a "REAL" Cisco switch.

What do you have connected to it in your home?

Also Dynamips does not support any flash commands, like show flash, copy flash tftp etc.

In my home I have pfSense, main desktop/gaming rig, laptop, and wireless ap with 2 clients (roommates) connected to the switch. I also connect my ESXi box to it when I am playing around with that so another 7-8 clients. My ESXi rig specs are below.

SUPERMICRO X8SIL
2X Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory
Intel Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz
Antec 300 Case
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W PSU
1 Extra Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter
Dell Perc 6i Raid controller
4X Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
OS Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Some old CD/DVD drive( no need to ever use it with IPMI and remote ISO mounting)

ghlhI.jpg

back to the thread now :) how do i start configuring this beast ? Or updating it ? Or actually doing something with it as it's on and doing nothing LOL

How'd you manage to change the hostname to aces?

How about you get the Cisco Press or Sybex CCENT/CCNA books and figure it out.

To you other guys. I'm not a fan of ASDM either, but some high-level security guys I've spoken with are using it almost exclusively since the 8.3 changes. They say ASDM has become better than the CLI for many tasks. I'm not sure if I'll move to it anytime soon, but I may give it a try if I find 8.3+ to be a pain in the ass.

I just took the Cisco training on the ASAs, and what I got from the instructor was that they are starting to put some new features only in the ADSM, and that some things are much easier to configure in the ADSM. Though that didn't stop him from having us configure almost everything twice, once via ADSM and once via hardware.

For the tests he gave us we could use which ever we preferred. Though some of the tasks couldn't be done in both.

Hahahaha. The irony.

I was thinking the same thing and then I laughed at your post.

seriously though dashpuppy, let me give you a crash course on IOS. The first commands that any pro does:
Do you want to run the dumb initial conf dialog? FUCK NO
en
conf t
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
^Z

I was thinking the same thing and then I laughed at your post.

seriously though dashpuppy, let me give you a crash course on IOS. The first commands that any pro does:
Do you want to run the dumb initial conf dialog? FUCK NO
en
conf t
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
^Z

lmao.. i literally lol'd

Those are my 2nd, i usually do...
en
config t
hostname randomhostname
user wesm63 passoword zomgcisco
crypto key generate rsa
^Z
conifg t
line con 0
login local
line vty 0 15
login local
transport input ssh

WeLl I got my first experience at cisco cli today, had to program a cisco 877 router, wasn't to bad I guess, I though it would be harder.

Of course the guy on the other end was telling me what to type ect ect, but it all made sense.

Back