Dashcams Going High-Def and High-Tech

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Well this should make the vids on YouTube a bit more enjoyable. Just imagine the amazement of the viewers as they watch the camera record the world of stupid human tricks while they think they are not being observed. :D Seriously though, the higher quality videos will be a great addition to law enforcement documentation and dashboard cinematographers everywhere.

Eken, based in China's electronics manufacturing heartland of Shenzhen, had some of the most advanced dashcams at Computex. Its RS8 offers full 1080P high-definition video recording to a Micro SD card. Also included in the unit is a GPS sensor that records the car's position and a G sensor that records acceleration and deceleration.

The dashcam I have has already come into use twice, not sure it needs to be 1080p though...

Those Russian driving videos are going to get a whole lot more exciting.

Everyone worries about life expectancy of SSD's, I wonder what the expected useful life is for an SD card used in one of these things when you're recording at 1080p and constantly overwriting old data?

So...where can I get one of these dashcams right now in the US?
Anyone using them here yet (besides cops)?

I've had my Blackvue since last September with a 32gb MicroSD card.
Although it can do 1080p, I have it set to 720p so it can store about 13hrs instead of about 7hrs.
It's been recording every day at least an hour a day, home->work and back.
So every 2 weeks or so, it would overwrite . So far I have no problems with the SD card. I've only had to reset it 4 times since I got it (it has this Purple Ring of Death when it wont start recording)

So...where can I get one of these dashcams right now in the US?
Anyone using them here yet (besides cops)?

I have the A8 dashcam in both cars. 720p, writing to a 32gb tf card. Got it from ebay. It seems the price has gone up on the genuine A8 cameras for some reason. Mine were $39ea.

I will definitely be adding this series of Russia's Greatest Dashcam Moments to my collection. We are living in the future my friends...

Dash cams are illegal in Illinois :( I had one on my helmet for shits and giggles and it almost landed me in jail.

Dash cams are illegal in Illinois :( I had one on my helmet for shits and giggles and it almost landed me in jail.

What the hell?
- Everybody but the IL lawmakers

I youtubed some local guy with a dashcam, 140k people in my city, he's scored plenty of worthy footage of shitty drivers, blind bikers and blind and deaf pedeadstrians attempting darwin-suicide. If my old mother was driving her car more I'd set her up with one just for a laugh, the cops take several license-less and drunk, drugged up drivers every day.

I can finally show how everyone around where I live are gawd-awful drivers, despite being NY & MA being ranked worse drivers than us...

in the uk 90% in the car dvrs for sale are copy of a copy china cams hard to find a official one

but the 2 Mobile-i Slim Car DVR 1080p for £36 (720p only works but 720p is higher FPS anyway) has done me well, I toasted 1 32gb sd card but the cheap class 6 one I got has been working for last 6 months no issues (think its the sd card that is preventing 1080p from staying on)

I post a video of a near head on crash soon as I get back to the computer

I have 2 of them (as to why there was a 2 in there) 1 forward and 1 rear (just in case the police wish to alleged something I did not do again)

Back