DARPA Wants A New Anti-Drone Weapon By 2020

HardOCP News

[H] News
Heck, the best anti-drone system out there (farmers with shotguns) has already been banned by the government. Personally, I want to see DARPA go with lasers in a big way. *pew* *pew* :cool:

Or, in plain language, something that can see and thwart drones, will be ready by 2020, and is upgradeable. DARPA has a laundry list of ways they want this new system to see drones, with sensors detecting, identifying, and tracking the small unmanned aerial systems. What happens next is captured by the much vaguer “neutralization,” which could include everything from catching it in a net to overriding its flight controls to being caught by an eagle.

Actually, just flinging kevlar (or even biodegradable) string at them will take them down. I don't see why people need complex solutions when simple ones will suffice.

...because it should take 4 years to come up with something better than shotguns or spiderman wrist-webs?

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Actually, just flinging kevlar (or even biodegradable) string at them will take them down. I don't see why people need complex solutions when simple ones will suffice.

...because it should take 4 years to come up with something better than shotguns or spiderman wrist-webs?

DARPA seems to actually be talking about drones, not quad copters.

STOP CALLING QUAD COPTERS DRONES!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would think a "sticky air burst" would be the answer. deploy a cloud of the sticky air infront of the drone, sticky air is pulled through the intakes which turns to millions of fine gooey threads that harden rendering the drone inoperable.

How about a missile, the target is painted with a laser then blasted out of the sky. this is to easy they are just funneling money out of public hands.

one they are harder to see than missiles they fly too slow. so they have very small radar cross section. Two they milspec ones could be high enough that normal aa would have trouble taking them down with mass firing vulcan machine guns. The best type of system would pull data from nextrad towers which can see and track rain drops. normal air plane chaff defeats a standard radar or laser pointer by scattering the emi so that it does not go out and bounce back to the sender device. heck some of the speeding radar off the shelf devices can defeat most most modern aa systems with more power. Though at that point they show up on radar scopes of the airports near them as signal distortion which results in interceptors being sent to take a look see. so finding the drones and targeting them is likely have of the project. The other part hitting the drones before they transmit data to another drone or ground site.

Pretty sure this project is to prevent drones from taking looks at military bases or banks or other military value targets in the country. Shooting those down before they transmit info is going to be interesting.

Back