Darn!!!

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok....straight to the point...

Was thinking of finally going for an SLI.

Last time I checked, my eVGA 7900gt was selling for about $150ish at NewEgg. So, just browsing the scene over at NewEgg a few minutes ago to see what they are going for now and, well, turns out, they dont sell them anymore. I searched and searched and couldnt find anything.

Gahhhh....I guess I should have bought it when I last saw it.

Soo, why is it that not too long ago, the 7900's were ALL the rage, yet now, they seem to have dropped off the planet?

So, in order for me to have anything run in SLI, I have to buy "2" more cards?????? WTF!!!!

I guess I just wasnt prepared for my card to be obsolete in ONE freakin year...

If I were to get a 8800 blah blah blah....how LONG will that last? Whats beyond the horizon of the 8 series?

Ive got to know, is it just me or is this a slap in the face.... i.e. "haha, you bought a 7900, you dumbass...haha"

Last time I checked, my eVGA 7900gt was selling for about $150ish at NewEgg. So, just browsing the scene over at NewEgg a few minutes ago to see what they are going for now and, well, turns out, they dont sell them anymore. I searched and searched and couldnt find anything.

Soo, why is it that not too long ago, the 7900's were ALL the rage, yet now, they seem to have dropped off the planet?

So, in order for me to have anything run in SLI, I have to buy "2" more cards?????? WTF!!!!

If I were to get a 8800 blah blah blah....how LONG will that last? Whats beyond the horizon of the 8 series?

Ive got to know, is it just me or is this a slap in the face.... i.e. "haha, you bought a 7900, you dumbass...haha"

It's just you...slapping yourself in the face because your original thinking and logic were flawed. Nobody buys SLI so that they can have a future easy upgrade > a year later. With the way SLI scales (about 15-20% improvement), it's not worth the price of an additional card, even if the prices do drop. By that time, the speed of an SLI combo with obsolete hardware will be slower than the speed of a brand new card on new hardware which will invariably be more economical. Two 7900s in SLI will only be marginally faster, if not slower than a single 8800 GTS.

SLI is for enthusiasts who want more boost than a single card can provide on the initial purchase or within 6 months. SLI as an upgrade option 1 or 2 generation cycles down the road is inherently uneconomical and ill-advised. Sell your existing card on ebay and use that money to afford an 8800 series combo...or perhaps if you really do want 7900 SLI, get a 7900 or 7950 on ebay. If you can find a bargain on a card (say < $100), then I'd say that would make sense for you...otherwise it's just a waste of money and you get saddled with extra old-hardware that will be more difficult to sell in the future.

Your original thinking and logic were flawed. Nobody buys SLI so that they can have a future easy upgrade. With the way SLI scales (about 15-20% improvement), it's not worth the price of an additional card, even if the prices do drop. By that time, the speed of an SLI combo with obsolete hardware will be slower than the speed of a brand new card on new hardware which will invariably be more economical. Two 7900s in SLI will only be marginally faster, if not equal to a single 8800 GTS.

SLI is for enthusiasts who want more boost than a single card can provide on the initial purchase. SLI as an upgrade option 1 or 2 generation cycles down the road is inherently uneconomical and ill-advised. Sell your existing card on ebay and use that money to afford an 8800 series combo...or perhaps if you really do want 7900 SLI, get a 7900 or 7950 on ebay.

Hmmmm......Hmmmmm.....and Hmmmmm....Im always behind the time, ALWAYS...Its quite annoying. Heh, if you knew my wife, you'd understand why I thought getting another 7900 into SLI was my first thought as an "upgrade", heh.

Nope, I did not try there. Im kinda weird in this type of situation and it drives my friends nuts, but I just cant seem to find it in myself to "trust" used stuff. I want brand new, unopened and still sealed box complete with warranties etc....Same thing goes for my tools (am a woodworker)........

Just looked, saw 2 threads with people selling them and, heh, both were already sold, LOL.....

DARN

I believe a single 8800GT will outperform two 7900GTs. If you can find one in stock at a somewhat decent price, then I'd go for that and sell off the 7900GT. If you play it right you'll get better performance, DX10 (not that it really matters right now), and still only spend $100-$150 net.

I believe a single 8800GT will outperform two 7900GTs. If you can find one in stock at a somewhat decent price, then I'd go for that and sell off the 7900GT. If you play it right you'll get better performance, DX10 (not that it really matters right now), and still only spend $100-$150 net.

Are you kidding me? Outperform? pff.

More like MAJORPWNAGEOFDOOM!

An 8800GT has at least a third more texture fill than two 7900GT's and damn near 10x the shader operations... and more memory depending on the 7900GT model.

lol :D

Yeah it happens man. I thought I was hot shit with a 800gto clocked at the highest in the world for a while. 8800gt is your best bet right now for 210-280$. Who fuckin knows.

Hmmmm......Hmmmmm.....and Hmmmmm....Im always behind the time, ALWAYS...Its quite annoying. Heh, if you knew my wife, you'd understand why I thought getting another 7900 into SLI was my first thought as an "upgrade", heh.

Nope, I did not try there. Im kinda weird in this type of situation and it drives my friends nuts, but I just cant seem to find it in myself to "trust" used stuff. I want brand new, unopened and still sealed box complete with warranties etc....Same thing goes for my tools (am a woodworker)........

Just looked, saw 2 threads with people selling them and, heh, both were already sold, LOL.....

DARN

SAW

As pretty much stated above, hock off your 7900GT and maybe get $70-100 back.

Use that money to buy a 8800GT anywhere from $220-280 that will DESTROY 2x7900GT's in SLI and you won't have all the usual crappy SLI issues either.

Are you kidding me? Outperform? pff.

More like MAJORPWNAGEOFDOOM!

Wow, definitely quote of the day!

Isn't the 7900gt 2yrs old anyways? Anywho, no one should try SLI as an upgrade path, that was made fairly clear from the beginning. If you want the best performance ASAP go SLI. Otherwise, either sell your card to buy a new one, or accept the old card as a sunk cost and buy a new one.

Wow, definitely quote of the day!

Isn't the 7900gt 2yrs old anyways? Anywho, no one should try SLI as an upgrade path, that was made fairly clear from the beginning. If you want the best performance ASAP go SLI. Otherwise, either sell your card to buy a new one, or accept the old card as a sunk cost and buy a new one.

lol, thanx :D

I bought my 7900GT's (one in my sig, the other...?) during spring break of '06. Paid $300 for each of them. I suppose they were the 8800GT of their time... and still kickin!

the 8800 gt is already obsolete. the new 9800 pros are gonna crush them

new 9800 pros? I've heard nothing about them. In fact, I don't think Nvidia's or its AIBs use "Pro" in their card names. Are you sure you're not thinking of the old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro? Otherwise post a link to your infomration.

new 9800 pros? I've heard nothing about them. In fact, I don't think Nvidia's or its AIBs use "Pro" in their card names. Are you sure you're not thinking of the old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro? Otherwise post a link to your infomration.

He means D9E. "Pro" is not a NVIDIA moniker.

GeForce 9800 Pro 1024 MB ram

I wasn't wasn't aware that D9E specs were publicly confirmed.

And they are not. But the name change is real, so there is no "GeForce 9800", though I'm sure we will probably call it that for a while :)

And they are not. But the name change is real, so there is no "GeForce 9800", though I'm sure we will probably call it that for a while :)

I wasn't so much hung up on the name. It's the next logical iteration of the pattern. It's what he said about it, that it's going to crush the 8800GT (it being a main-stream product and all) and that it has 1GB or RAM (which isn't hard to believe) as if it were a confirmed thing already. I remember hearing everyone going on about how the 8800 Ultra was going to crush the GTX, and we see how that turned out.

If you don't buy your second card within six months, you can forget it. By then the old card will likely have been replaced by a newer model, and the card you originally bought, discontinued.

Well there's always eBay... but I'd go for a new spankin 8800 line like the others have said.
My friend picked up a 7950GT for ~$100 but only because he really can't spend more than 100.

If you don't buy your second card within six months, you can forget it. By then the old card will likely have been replaced by a newer model, and the card you originally bought, discontinued.

6 months??? That sux!!!! Was the 7900 line just trash then? Cause I was at Fry's the other day and they STILL have 5200's and they had those back when I built this rig Ive got now. Or do ya think...maybe...heh...those 5200's I see at that store have been there since their introduction a LONGGG time ago and they just never got rid of them, heh??

Isn't the 7900gt 2yrs old anyways?

My Gawd.....has it been that long.....already.....Gahhhhhh, I remember it like it was this morning...scanning thru NewEgg, finding my items/TOYS, filling out the order form. Now why, back when I was in high school, why couldnt time go by that fast back then....DAMNIT!!!

Back