Darktide: Vermintide (same team) but in 40K IG vs Chaos Cultists

I skipped Vermintide 2 but really like Vermintide 1 the Horn. Darktide will do really well. Would if signed up for the Beta but didn't land on the my weekend.

Played 6 hours or so last night with a group of friends...it is quite fun and a good successor to Vermintide 2 (we have over 150 hours in it). The map design is pretty damn detailed too, but I do feel like its unoptimized graphic wise (I get it...its a BETA and we dont know what build it is, just stating in regards to the BETA). Ray Tracing enabled, DLSS enabled, and an 3440x1440 Ultrawide, basically brings the 3080 to its knees (~30 FPS). Turn off Ray Tracing and can push 60-70 FPS (which is fine for the most part in giant hordes).

Yeah, it auto set me to low settings though I turned off dlss to see how it ran without it. It ran ok, mostly hitting 50-60fps on a 2060 Super. Lower in crowds for sure but playable.

Adeptus ridiculous got ahold of it, so here is 23 minutes of demo play and Bricky, Dk, Shy, and Luetin being themselves. Have to say it looks good!

We’ve learned a lot from our work on the Vermintide series, as well as from looking at similar titles. With that knowledge, we built something suited to the W40K universe while making the system a bit more dynamic than what you’re used to when coming from our -Tide games.

Inspired by the analog nature of the technology layer present in Warhammer 40,000, the Terminal emulates the space cop fantasy where the world is alive, and the Mission Terminal is ever-so-changing, reflecting the perils and urgency of its contents.

07b10f8f2663ab6d234dc934176c89679f7c66a9.png

In terms of presentation, we chose to go more diegetic: Fewer floating menus and more of an in-world setup where everything “lives” on the Mission Terminal. This makes the whole experience feel better grounded into the universe and more distinct and easy to understand for players (some early feedback helped us steer the ship right in the sweet spot between clarity and immersion). Missions are displayed in different ways:
  • In a small panel: where users get a very condensed idea of what they have to expect about the selected mission
  • In a medium panel: where users get access to quick play (a fast way to queue in missions) or events of critical nature get displayed; this panel also acts as a legend for better explaining the small panel's iconography

An expanded panel is also present when you select any particular small or medium mission panel, where users get all the information they need to embark on said mission.

5d0e4daec8ee565e6ec6629d5a54c7ea54961b03.png

Furthermore, as you prove yourself to The Inquisition, the more trusted you become on the Mourningstar. This progress follows through in the Mission Terminal, unlocking higher difficulties, and better rewards following that trend. However, with the co-op nature of the game, it was essential for us to allow the possibility to play missions together, even if players are way apart in progression.

As for missions of critical timing, these get highlighted in the middle of the Mission Terminal. These urgent encounters have better rewards and higher intensity in combat, so in true grim-dark fashion, you might not survive :).

You will first be introduced to the Mission Terminal, during the prologue once you have completed basic training. When the Mission Terminal is accessible, players can team up and start a mission. The first player that selects a mission initiates a vote for the other Strike Team members in their team, with the possibility of any player in the Strike Team being able to start voting on a mission.

Missions send you and your Strike Team deep into the Tertium Hive. A mission follows this structure:
  • Mission Difficulty:
    - Relates to the power/strength of the enemies
  • Mission Name:
    - Flavor-name for the mission
  • Mission Location:
    - Where this mission is taking place
  • Mission Type (Objective):
    - What are you doing inside of the mission (note: some missions can have side objectives)
  • Rewards:
    - What will you get for playing the mission; we have various types of rewards that fuel progression:

Experience
    : The driving source for empowering your character.
    Ordo Dockets
    : Can be used to buy new weapons and apply modifications to them.
    Weapons
    : The player by succeeding a mission has a chance to be rewarded with a weapon to
    add to their arsenal.
  • Mission Timer
    - How long is a certain mission available (upon expiry of a timer, new missions “populate” the Terminal)

98f8b21ba6bff850c09e3f1391a1c12ae9bd95d3.png

Some missions can have modifiers; we call them Special Conditions. An example of this is a Power Supply Interruption. Missions with this Special Condition, will be (as the name suggests) darker and add a unique way of playing the level. A Special Condition could also apply on a more global scale in Tertium Hive, and we call this a Global Condition (pinned at the top of the mission board). During a Global Condition, the game will alter the missions more frequently. There could, for example, be a blackout in the hive, and therefore almost all the missions available are affected by Darkness.

Given all the specs that missions can have, this makes the world transcribe its dangerous and chaotic nature while allowing us to expand on it more easily in the future.

Thanks for reading and see you in the Mourningstar!

They had to explain the Mission UI incase people buy the game and can't understand how to jump in.

Pre-order beta question
It says the Pre-order Beta will be November 17th till release, does this mean the Beta we will be playing during that period will be the full release of Darktide, or another "older" build for Beta testing?

There is a updated Release date of the 24th but it's false according to Fat Shark but the Steam page says otherwise.

This game is Live all the way up to Launch on the 29th progression will save. Not sure if I should download it this week the install is only 39 gigs.

Game is a mess. Backend connection failures, terrible performance and constant crashing.

Warning had to redownload the game twice for the new update going to wait for the actual launch.

Warning had to redownload the game twice for the new update going to wait for the actual launch.

Ouch. I've been debating it. It looks decent enough from the streams I've watched but I also wouldn't want to have to restart the leveling process if they do a restart at launch.

Yeah, I'm very interested but I'm waiting until release and some real reviews.

This game kinda runs like fuckin shit

It's literally the heaviest game I think my computer has ever faced.

Heavier than Star Citizen or Cyberpunk?
Definitely Cyberpunk.

This shit was down to 30 fps at points on the lowest settings during the intro. Insane.

According to this game, my overclocked 6700k is so shit that my GTX 1080 isn't worthy of going above 40-50% usage half the time. The bottleneck is unreal.

Last edited:
See specs in sig. Game is running 120's in heavy combat, avg 140s peaks around 170s. 1440p RT maxed, DLSS quality, DLSS frame generation.

Definitely Cyberpunk.

This shit was down to 30 fps at points on the lowest settings during the intro. Insane.

According to this game, my overclocked 6700k is so shit that my GTX 1080 isn't worthy of going above 40-50% usage half the time. The bottleneck is unreal.

Yeah, the cpu req. is a skylake i5 6600. I ran it on my 4790k fine at low settings with a 2060s. Its kind of all over the place perf wise for many.

The recommended specs for this game to play at max settings are an Intel 12700k and RTX-4080 GPU. Wow WTF? That's like top of the line hardware. The 4080 literally just came out this week, and Fat Shark is listing that in their system specs. LOL

A lot of people are saying welcome to PC Games in 2022, developers are squeezed so tight with their programmers and tight budgets, they just release games poorly coded, and just tell everyone to have the latest most expensive hardware and the game will run fine. Uh... most people won't even have anything close to those spec's, they needed to code the game better, but that takes more time, and then the game is delayed, so they just ship it as is.

The recommended specs for this game to play at max settings are an Intel 12700k and RTX-4080 GPU. Wow WTF? That's like top of the line hardware. The 4080 literally just came out this week, and Fat Shark is listing that in their system specs. LOL

A lot of people are saying welcome to PC Games in 2022, developers are squeezed so tight with their programmers and tight budgets, they just release games poorly coded, and just tell everyone to have the latest most expensive hardware and the game will run fine. Uh... most people won't even have anything close to those spec's, they needed to code the game better, but that takes more time, and then the game is delayed, so they just ship it as is.
Or they could be providing extra headroom to keep the game looking great for years to come, :D.

The highest settings IS the highest settings after all. Looking at cyberpunk, full RT on with those same specs will barely similar as well.

Do you NEED highest settings to enjoy? A 3090 with low RT settings and DLSS will net around 80fps, which is pretty decent. I have a friend running a i7700 and 1080 and he's forcing medium and getting 30s and still enjoying. Game is still in beta too, compared to the previous beta, they've really worked on getting the performance numbers improved.

I don't have much time into this, but it looks great so far. Verminetide 2 will thrash a modern system pretty good as well, but it looks fantastic doing so.

I'd suggest its more likely that the game just has a lot of graphical bells and whistles, rather than being poorly optimized.

With ray tracing and DLSS 3.

A lot of people say stupid things. The word "optimization" is always tossed around by people who have no idea what they're talking about. "Code the game better" is easy to say when you have no insight into the development process.

I've been playing the recent beta and the last beta. First on a 3090, then 4090. The 3090 performance was 80-120 with no ray tracing. With gsync on, it was a very good experience. The 4090 with DLSS3 lets me play full ray tracing and with 1% lows of 100 fps. If you're going to have dynamic hordes of 40+ enemies on screen in large environments full of objects, ray tracing is going to be hard on the GPU. My friend with his 3090 says he can play it low RT now and still be avg 80s @ 1440p.

I think there's more to the performance of this game, CPU has always been killer for this title as the dynamic ai enemies have always crushed cpu performance. I played vermintide 2 from a 7700k to 5600x to 5900x. The CPU upgrades made bigger jumps in performance than the GPU. I expect this to be the case with darktide + the new RT requirements. The lighting without RT is much better now, but I still find you have a more realistic vision friendly experience with RT on (think stumbling around at 2am in real life in the dark navigating toys your 3 yr left on the floor)

I'm still waiting on a game that takes RT to a new level where we can see a horde coming, but we're in shadows and we can tuck into a dark corner, cut off all our light sources and the enemies run by us.

Game is pretty fun.....I hope there's a shit load more content for the actual release though. If not...the game will get very old very quick.

Screenshots was wondering how dark the game is....since I run my monitors on low brightness.
Everyone on the Steam Forums is complaining about stuff like one in every 100 posts is positive.

It's dark, but it has improved a good chunk since the early open beta. Visibility is improved to a point where I don't feel the darkness is a problem to me anymore. There ARE dark missions where the power is out, and you have visibility of like 5ft. It has a modifier so you can actively avoid these missions, but the catch is the dark missions have a daemonhost mid boss type which is kinda creepy to encounter which you'd miss out on the experience. RT was really shining for me on the dark missions, the flamethrower and lit enemies were giving me ambient light to work with and my laser bolts were illuminating groups of enemies, flashlight was providing some side ambient light, but not enough to make up for the pitch black.

As for content, they've opened up some more missions, a few surface type missions which I've enjoyed. I look forward to seeing all the mission types, mission areas and hope it grows like vermintide 2 did.

It's dark, but it has improved a good chunk since the early open beta. Visibility is improved to a point where I don't feel the darkness is a problem to me anymore.
I'm thankful to hear that because it was mine, and a buddy's, biggest complaint during the open beta. We couldn't make anything out well enough until enemies were on top of us and rarely were able to spot an enemy at range getting ready to shoot.

They must of delayed by a day it was the 29th now it's the 30th no big deal I can still try it.

Is this game purely online only, or can you play solo with bots to test out maps and stuff?

Back