Darktide: Vermintide (same team) but in 40K IG vs Chaos Cultists

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361210/Warhammer_40000_Darktide/

Not much information out yet. It's pretty much Vermintide in 40k. Looks like you're playing as an Imperial Guard Squad vs Chaos Cultists (and the associated plague zombies, mutants, and other stuff) in the lower and under levels of a hive city. Does not look like there are going to be Marines, probably for the best. But you can hear an Inqusitor in the background and it may open up a few of the non Space Marine level (or higher ie Assassins and Custodes) type Imperial options. Release of 2021.

It looks much darker and more horrorish than VT so this could be an interesting direction.

Attachments

• darktide-screenshot-1.jpg
    darktide-screenshot-1.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
  • darktide-screenshot-2.jpg
    darktide-screenshot-2.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 0
  • darktide-screenshot-3.jpg
    darktide-screenshot-3.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 0
I don’t see them letting us be Custodes, that’d be more over powered than being a regular Space Marine. There’s a reason the Custodes guard the Emperor.
Definitely excited for this though. Vermintide didn’t click much with me but this might.

I don’t see them letting us be Custodes, that’d be more over powered than being a regular Space Marine. There’s a reason the Custodes guard the Emperor.
Definitely excited for this though. Vermintide didn’t click much with me but this might.

That's why i said non Marine or higher. There are still things like Arbites, Gangers, and various Hired Guns in the 40k Hive Worlds that have a rich history. All of those are types an Inquistor can press into service and you also have the nobles of the upper hive that come down just for shits and giggles out of boredom.

It's much more interesting this way.

That's why i said non Marine or higher. There are still things like Arbites, Gangers, and various Hired Guns in the 40k Hive Worlds that have a rich history. All of those are types an Inquistor can press into service and you also have the nobles of the upper hive that come down just for shits and giggles out of boredom.

It's much more interesting this way.
Yep I’m sorry I misread that completely as opening up Custodes being non marines. My mistake.

Maybe we’ll get to see some Squats or Ogryn.

Yep I’m sorry I misread that completely as opening up Custodes being non marines. My mistake.

Maybe we’ll get to see some Squats or Ogryn.

Both of those would be cool. Squats could be possible, they are currently in the Necromunda table top game as hired guns that go through the underhive looking for things and on missions. Getting away from space marines and space battles and moving to the underhive side of things opens up a lot of stuff.

IMHO, if this kicks off they could focus on a blackstone fortress type item in the future. That opens up even more. The current tablet top stuff is a mish mash of imperial IG, inquisitorial, imperial church, ad mech, men of iron, and eldar rangers grouping up to explore them

One thing that bothered me was the characters in Vermitide everyone wanted to be the Witch Hunter the other characters were ok but if it was like musical chairs.

Loved Vermintide I/II as well as SpaceHulk, which never really got the love it deserved. I suspect this will be another game that I put 500-1000 hours into.

Official Gameplay preordered two weeks ago. Worried it might be too dark black levels. Looks good on my oled Samsung S9...

Last edited:
I'm still going to pick this up, but I'm sad about how much more "Vermantidey" this ended up than the original teaser trailer. I was really hoping for Imperial Guard tacticool squad shooter, instead we got Vermintide in space.

I'm still going to pick this up, but I'm sad about how much more "Vermantidey" this ended up than the original teaser trailer. I was really hoping for Imperial Guard tacticool squad shooter, instead we got Vermintide in space.

I mean it says Darktide, I was expecting Vermintide, in space! Also the Imperial Guard does not do tactics, at all. If you want the IG experience they run WW1 style wave attacks and just throw bodies.

I've always thought a cool angle, that I know they will not take, would be to make a deep tactical game off the eldar aspect warriors. Like the old recon or rainbow games. Because that lends it to it.

Dire Avengers are all around types and the oldest of the types. Their founder trained the founders of all the others as well.
Howling Banhee's are pure light speed assault and the second oldest, they are also all women and have the highest armor killing in close combat and paralyze their targets.
Swooping Hawks are jump troops and attack from the air, though extremely lightly armed and armored though they do come with anti vehicle grenades.
Striking Scorpions are stealth heavy assault. They don't beat armor or paralyze like the Banshees do but they can take a hit and maul light infantry.
Fire Dragons are pure close range ranged anti armor, microwave guns!
Dark Reapers, heavy armored long ranged missile launchers for anti light armor or medium armor with advanced tracking.
Warp Spiders, teleport anti infantry infantry that move through the warp.

It sort of lends itself to build a squad for a mission and they "in universe". I'd like it. I know there are two more rare types (shining spires and shadow spectres but they aren't classic and are sort of odd to work into things).

A game as chaos would be interesting as well. Aside from the four gods followers each of the legions is very unique and we don't see much from their viewpoint.

I guess another cool thing if you wanted to go back to IG would be Astara Militarum. These are not the ordinary IG. These guys are all the kids of the elite, who go to college for politics, liberal arts, piloshopy, blah blah blah. Granted after a boarding school where they beat you bloody. They get better armor, guns, vehicles, gear. Formed up into their own units or turn into Inquistors or other high levels.

Heck even Sisters of Battle could do a good one.

But I'd mostly like to see some xenos in the light.

The gameplay video looks awesome! Vermantide has close to 200 hours of playtime with our group (just a fun game with a full 4 player team). This one is looks like and is shaping up to be a good successor to Vermantide.

Black Friday makes sense already preordered the thing. People will look for a new game for their Recession PC and they will find out Darktide was just launched.

Black Friday makes sense already preordered the thing. People will look for a new game for their Recession PC and they will find out Darktide was just launched.
Black Friday is the 25th this year. Cyber Monday the 28th.

November 30th but hope the game isn't too hard. I'm sure you can select the difficulty like in Vermintide.

Played 6 hours or so last night with a group of friends...it is quite fun and a good successor to Vermintide 2 (we have over 150 hours in it). The map design is pretty damn detailed too, but I do feel like its unoptimized graphic wise (I get it...its a BETA and we dont know what build it is, just stating in regards to the BETA). Ray Tracing enabled, DLSS enabled, and an 3440x1440 Ultrawide, basically brings the 3080 to its knees (~30 FPS). Turn off Ray Tracing and can push 60-70 FPS (which is fine for the most part in giant hordes).

Back