Darksiders, Yay or Nay ?

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
This game has not gotten alot of attention, why ? From what I hear its supposed to be pretty good. Its got my attention though. Any thoughts ?

mmm... looks good to me... alas i'll wait for reviews

Probally because of one name attached to it. Has one of the most recognized artists working for the project. Plus the gameplay is just absolutly incredible looking.

Game plays like God of War but not as good to me, I honestly have not gotten very far but it is not really holding my attention much. I may play longer since I heard it kind of changes a little once you get past the beginning although I am over an hour in I think...

Looks great, but it's coming out at the same time as a zillion other games...only 2 weeks after I just got some new games for Christmas.
I swear game makers could learn some timing from the movie industry. IA lot of games could be making more money if they had a smarter release schedule. Waiting 'til January doesn't cut it now that everyone and their mom is now doing it, too.
Even delaying a game to put it in the doldrums of May/June would be a better idea sometimes.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/darksiderswrathofwar?q=darksiders

looks like it's reviewing well

posted PS3 link because I have a PS3 but not Xbox 360

the 360 version reports some screen tearing, just fyi

this game appears to be another Demon's Souls in the sense that it's a truly great game that's flying under everyone's radar

once word of mouth gets out, it's sales will go up

personally I'll pick it up once it's cheaper, i'm spoiled by all the bargain hunting i'm doing lately

I am excited to get home and play my copy.

I am also excited to see what the code inside the box is for.
It says you are supposed to enter it on Darksiders.com but there is no where to enter it...yet.
No one on the Internet seems to know what this code is for. It is not the code for the Game Stop exclusive weapon (The Harvester).

I've been playing it for a couple hours and I'm hooked. I picked up Bayonetta and Darksiders both for PS3 today and I haven't even touched Bayonetta yet.

To be honest, the game feels like Zelda meets Legacy of Kain wrapped up in God of War style combat, which to me is a very good thing. I think the combat feels just slightly off from being truly fluid for button mashers, but at the same time there's a wealth of combos in the game that easily makes up for it.

Yay!

Great game....picked it up for the PS3. I had to decide between that and Bayonetta and so far I feel good about the choice. There are lots of combo moves you can learn but so far I'm doing fine with just a handful. Nice difficulty curve on average. Weapon and death animations are greatness.

They completely forgot to mention that when you get the Crossblade you have to hold left trigger to queue up targets. Made the first time you need to use it that way very annoying to figure out.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear more opinions on this game, I'm considering grabbing it at some point

My friend stopped by yesterday after picking this up. Until then, I didn't know anything about the game. After looking up some reviews and screenshots it looked like something I definitely want to pick up. However, I have a whole stack of PS3 games (and a smaller stack of Xbox 360 games) that I haven't even started yet :(. I will probably hold out for a price drop or two while I try to catch up on my backlog.

They completely forgot to mention that when you get the Crossblade you have to hold left trigger to queue up targets. Made the first time you need to use it that way very annoying to figure out.

I haven't bothered with that much. Usually there are so many targets climbing all around you I end of doing jump moves and hacking and slashing away from above. There seems to be two types of enemies.....one is just fodder to build up your souls (they can't really kill you) and the other kind which are various levels of dangerous. If you are using the Harvester scythe, you're killing stuff 360 degrees around you so there is no need to target most of the time.

There is one task you are given around two or three hours into the game where you need to focus on the enemy (left trigger), chop him into the air, and then hack and slash till he's dead before he hits the ground. I had to do that a few times before I got it right.

Is this the game with the guy who has big ass sword and evil looking horse? If it is, it's yay! :D will pick this up soon.

Posted about this when info was kinda scarce> Looks like Arthas from Warcraft, lol!

Looks like tons of fun too.

Played it last night on PS3 for hours and hours. I recommend it :) The dungeons and their puzzles / platforming are inspired by Zelda and Castlevania.

Yeah, I put in about 5.5 hours total last night and I'm definitely hooked. The whole game feels like Legacy of Kain in the way it looks/sounds and the puzzles/adventuring is very Ocarina of Time. All that, and they make it better with a great combat system that makes God of War seem boring to be honest.

So far I'm only about 1/4 of the way through the game, I guess. I killed Tiamat and now I am on the trail of someone else, just got my Chaos form back which is awesome and I've built up a nice collection of extra combos that continue to make the game more fun and less tedious.

If you're on the fence about this game go pick it up now!

Another yay here, a big yay for that matter. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but once you get past the intro, it's fantastic. It's kinda like legend of zelda meets god of war. Took me about 18 hours to beat and I collected every single item in the game. I was hooked, played it straight through in two days. I think I'm going to play it through again on the apocalyptic difficulty, normal was pretty easy, and it was fun enough for a second go.

For anyone trying to decide between bayonetta and this, I've played both, and this gets my vote. The ending left it open for a sequel too, so I'm really hoping this does well.

Bought this game at launch but didn't hear of it until the day right before it came out. Awesome game: has a really nice old school fun feel (even though it's not). The game seems very polished as well with an interesting enough story. Definitely recommend this :cool:

Def Nay before I saw the quicklook, then it became a yay-at-a-later-date.

Oh, quicklooks, why must you be so informative?

i didn't know what to think of this. i checked out giantbomb's quick look and it looked worth buying. man i love it. "dungeons" are pretty fun and i like the puzzles so far.

So I bought it and for the first 2 hours I felt like it was just a god of war rip off. Then I realized I had just played for 6 hours straight and was hooked. This game is soooo fun! Especially once you get your bad ass horse back lol

My biggest complaint is that the Stygian level is soooo choppy. I played on PS3, did the Xbox 360 have the same issue?

I've been very much enjoying this game since I purchased it last Friday. As far as the quality goes, I'm noticing a lot of tearing. I hear there is a fix for the 360 in the pipeline, and I hope that they release it soon. I don't want to play through the rest of the game with the tearing....

I believe the tearing problem is isolated to the 360 and does not impact the PS3.

However, even with the tearing, I would still highly recommend the game... very fun. I was skeptical about the comments I'd been hearing in regards to being a mix between god of war and zelda. However, you instantly see the GoW inspiration... it wasn't unitl I got the boomeran... I mean, giant throwing star, that I really started to see the Zelda inspirations. Very nice combination!!

Picked this one up over the weekend and so far it's an awesome game just finished the first dungeon and been playing for few hours at least. Great game so far another yay!

This game is sick. Zelda gameplay fans will love it. The added bonus of a more in depth combat system is sweet too.. good story/voice acting too. This game is like a sleeper hit.

based on what i'm reading here i'll probably pick this up. My friends have been telling me about it and have been mentioning that i would most likely enjoy it. However , i can't grab it until after feb 4th :( fucking standardized tests.

I guess I'm going against the people here and say the game is a huge pile of shit. I'm getting major tearing and frame rate issues on my 360 with it.

Past that it is a worthless hack and slash with a shitty camera. I got to the Tiamat boss and gave up. With the shitty camera I was just having too many issues. The fighting defines generic to the point I'd rather go play double dragon for the nes. The weapons make you feel like you are fighting the world with a dull spoon. Hey hit this boss with what amounts to a wiffle ball bat as a sword for 5 to 10 minutes to kill them. Also how many different characters did they get Mark Hamill to voice? At least in the beginning it seemed like every other character was done in his joker voice.

I made the mistake of buying this game after a friend told me how great it was. Needless to say I will not trust their choice in games ever again. I'd say if it had a demo try it before picking it up but as of the other day when I checked on the 360 it didn't. If I made something as shitty as this game though I wouldn't either.

@swatbat

Sounds like you haven't taken advantage of all the mechanics available to you in the game. There are lots of combos and abilities to purchase as well as gear to discover. I guess you could go through the whole game just mashing one button making it a chessy hack n slash.

I don't know that I've ever spent 5-10 minutes just mashing the attack button to kill a boss.. there is always some type of strategy to the fight..

As far as the camera is concearned -- you have pretty much full control of it. When you lock on to an enemy it changes and you can't move it around, but thats pretty common.

I'm surpised by your comments on the voice acting. I actually thought it was some of the better voice acting I've seen.

The one thing I can say about it is that it isn't very difficult. Is that possibly why you have a complaint about the fighting? If you are a hardcore gamer, you really need to increase the difficulty or you will find it too easy. And of course, the tearing will be fixed soon with a patch that has already been announced.

I'm surpised by your comments on the voice acting. I actually thought it was some of the better voice acting I've seen.

To be fair I didn't get that far in the game before saying this is crap(first major boss so just over say 2 hours, maybe 3). That being said like 2 or 3 of the characters were voiced by Mark Hamill and at that point you hadn't run into many. His voice acting isn't that bad, it is just that it is the same voice that he uses for the joker in the batman series. All I here is the joker yelling at me.

Even with the combo's it really just comes off as a button mashing hack and slash. With things like the boss battels you are right you do need to find the way they expected you to beat it.

Back