Darksiders - Deathinitive Edition - Or how to screw your most loyal customers over.

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
It is one of the rare occasions that I feel genuinely irritated and find myself posting and reposting on the Steam forums.

Nordic released that -frankly- minor upgrade and decided that everybody who own the franchise pack will get it for free. The franchise pack of course was something that happened some time after the initial release of the games, and of course was a discounted product to begin with.

What about the people who got both Darksiders and all the DLC and paid much more money, without waiting for a discount, like myself? Well...

Here is 80% discount coupon eligible for use within a week's time for you. There, are you happy now? Better wait for sales next time I release a product sucker.

Nice dckmove by Nordic. It actually got me as I was buying Unwritten Tales 2, and I stopped right there.

Eh, pirate it, and pirate the next game until they do it again, then buy the next one if you think it's worth at whatever price.

Don't think I care too much because I've already played more than enough of Darksiders 1 and 2.

You're mad because you're not getting something for free that you were never promised in the first place? Is that really a reason to boycott their other games?

You're mad because you're not getting something for free that you were never promised in the first place? Is that really a reason to boycott their other games?

Let me explain a little better. If you bought Darksiders II at full price $60 + Season Pass $25 + Soundtrack $5 +extra DLC not included in the Season Pass , you are NOT eligible for the free upgrade. You have to pay another $6 to upgrade.

If you bought the heavily discounted GOTY version $50 then you are eligible for a free upgrade to the Deathinitive version. Hell it is on sale for $25 right now.

Tell me how you would feel as a customer?

entitled much?
you paid X amount money for product Y NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS
you weren't promised free upgrade

Okay.....

I just looked at Nordic's games..... and there isn't anything aside from the Darksider series that I like, and they haven't even done anything except do a remaster (discussed here) which I also just looked up, isn't actually all that great looking either.

But like I said before, I've played quite enough of 1 and 2. So I'll wait til 3 comes out and see if the company turns it to shit or makes a decent game or not.

Let me explain a little better. If you bought Darksiders II at full price $60 + Season Pass $25 + Soundtrack $5 +extra DLC not included in the Season Pass , you are NOT eligible for the free upgrade. You have to pay another $6 to upgrade.

If you bought the heavily discounted GOTY version $50 then you are eligible for a free upgrade to the Deathinitive version. Hell it is on sale for $25 right now.

I'd feel nothing, because i already got the game i wanted to play. Everything else is icing on the cake and if i didn't get any icing it's hardly going to make me overreact with outrage, spam negative reviews everywhere and stop buying their games.

I didn't get the directors cut of deus ex, sleeping dogs definitive, metro last light redux ect. for free when they came out later and it didn't bother me one bit and i'm looking forward to buying games from these developers in the future. Most of these remasters play and perform worse then the originals as they are optimized for the consoles so it's pretty hard to get upset about them.

Sounds like some people have sandy vaginas because someone else got something for free and they didn't. And they have to pay a whole $6?!? Wwwaaahhhh

Like holy shit, if the game and season pass and DLC were worth close to $100, surely the rerelease is worth $6?

PC gamers bitching they don't get something free? No surprise there.

I'm glad inExile didn't charge it's users $6 for a patch. Everyone got a Director's Cut upgrade to Wasteland 2 for free.

Same with Larian's D:OS, all PC owners got the Enhanced Edition for free too.

I'm glad you decided to complain about this because about 3 weeks ago I bought the franchise pack :) Wasn't even sure Deathinitive edition would come to PC.

I'd feel nothing, because i already got the game i wanted to play. Everything else is icing on the cake and if i didn't get any icing it's hardly going to make me overreact with outrage, spam negative reviews everywhere and stop buying their games.

I didn't get the directors cut of deus ex, sleeping dogs definitive, metro last light redux ect. for free when they came out later and it didn't bother me one bit and i'm looking forward to buying games from these developers in the future. Most of these remasters play and perform worse then the originals as they are optimized for the consoles so it's pretty hard to get upset about them.

Those of us that refuse to purchase the new game can't vote on Steam. The negative reviews are from people that spent money on the new game and are pissed because it has the exact same bugs as before.

Isn't that the difference between the regular and GOTY editions? Ask the extra shit...

Isn't that the difference between the regular and GOTY editions? Ask the extra shit...

The GOTY edition has the exact same content as what early purchasers of the game have if they bought the Season Pass + soundtrack. There is no difference. To be exact I bought the soundtrack after Nordic purchased the IP, and it says that I need to purchase the soundtrack again for $5 on the Steam page. They added high resolution textures to those GOTY purchasers that bought it after Nordic purchased the IP from THQ.

So if you bought DLC and soundtrack, you already have everything in the GOTY edition as Nordic hasn't expanded upon the game. Nordic just wanted to give a big middle finger to the THQ customers and make them buy the game all over again for high resolution textures. Which seems asinine to me, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The rereleased high texture game is getting mixed reviews on Steam because it has the exact same bugs as the original game. THQ never got to fix the bugs in the game due to bankruptcy, and they wanted to release a high texture pack for it. Nordic released the finished texture pack and said F the bugs.

Eh, Darksiders is a weird one. I played about 80% of the first one I think, then hit a wall and just completely lost interest (the annoying portal gun they give you that ruins everything and makes it too complicated). By the time I got the second one, I played it for <20 minutes and got tired of it.

Could care less what content they add to the game(s) at this point - it was already a huge tangled mess of a juggling act that needed to be slimmed down anyways.

I feel you mate. I am a huge fan of the franchise and it was kinda irritating that I had to pay $6 more while others who bought it cheap get it free BUT with that said, do note that people who bought it later actually bought it from Nordic while we who bought it earlier bought it from the previous publisher. My point is, I just want to support Nordic so they can start working on the third game. $6 is practically free considering I had so much fun getting 100% completion on both games and I actually played the second one twice and got all achievements. Never did that in any game...

Eh, pirate it, and pirate the next game until they do it again, then buy the next one if you think it's worth at whatever price.

Don't think I care too much because I've already played more than enough of Darksiders 1 and 2.

***Palm to Face***

I did literally everything you could do in those two games. I dumped hundreds of hours into them...and I'm done, too. I have no interest at all in going back to them, remake or not. It's not like it looks that much better. Remasters are really only for the consoles in most instances.

Either give me a 3rd game or leave me alone.

Well here is an interesting update. If you purchased the original Darksiders II game you can upgrade for free to the new version. Use this link. Props to Nordic Games for listening and doing the right thing.
Darksiders II Deathinitive Key Redeem Page

I played guinea pig and the result was...

upload_2016-4-13_22-45-13.png

I'll have to give that a try, though I quit playing DS2 after my character build couldn't progress. I hate when I play games that require certain builds to get anywhere...

Yeah, you're being a bit entitled. Games go down in price. The Early Adopters will ALWAYS pay more.

When you take part in a transaction, you exchange monetary credit for goods or services. The goods and services should meet the expectation at the time of purchase, and they require ONLY to meet the expectation at the time of purchase, and they are only entitled to continue meeting the original expectation for the pre-agreed duration of a product's warranty, after which, the good or service no longer needs to meet expectation.

Now, You are claiming that you purchased product A at price X. Product A met the defined expectation (assumedly, as you make no mention of it not doing so) at the time of purchase. Therefore, you received a product worth price X.

Now, after some time, the distributor is offering product A at price Y, bundled with product B.

You are not entitled nor should you be entitled to change your purchase expectation to match the distributor's new offer's purchase expectation. You agreed to different terms at a different time of purchase. You agreed to product A at price X. That is ALL you agreed to.

Well the publisher apologized and explained that it was a Steam programming problem that we couldn't get upgraded to the new version. Then they even went back and created a system with Valve so that we could get upgraded. That creates good will in my eyes. Which means that there is a 99% chance that I will buy Darksiders III + Season Pass for full price on launch day.

I think establishing good will with customers is much more important to a developer than $6.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to lock other people out of your game?

I am not into the whole having players invade your private game and ruin your fun.

Back