"Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition" coming to PC.

It's true. I saw some nice Tribes moves when he was commentating over a prerecorded video, but I sometimes get frustrated watching other people play games.
A friend of mine plays Tribes on the same server as TB. He says the man has some skills.

I'd say he has a following because of his views on gaming and ability to articulate them rather than ultra-pro madskillz.

No what is "fucking pathetic" is people like you coming into threads to troll people that are voicing valid complaints. No one here is asking for anything more than what is deserved. A good, working PC port. To some GFWL defies the good and/or the working part. Go back a couple pages and watch the TotalBiscuit video that was linked to. He details the issue perfectly from all sides. You say the only time people use semantics is when the lack intelligence or logic, what exactly were you doing earlier when you tried to argue using the exact meaning of the word versus the correct contextual use of it in this case?

You're making a rather broad assumption that people are following a mob mentality in this thread, but that would require that people are basing their opinions off other people's and not their own personal experience. The problem with that assumption is that every single bloody person in this thread that has expressed a dislike of GFWL has also cited PERSONAL examples of why they do not like it. So point out how forming an opinion based on previous experience equals mob mentality? Agreeing with another person's view points on a subject doesn't mean they're doing so to fit in or to be "part of the majority" or whatever other term you want to come up with, it means that their opinions are similar and they agree.

Nothing in this thread fits self-entitlement in the way that is is applied to gamers. Self-entitlement implies that the person is asking for something that they did not earn nor do they deserve. By giving a company money you have earned and deserve a product that works and does not provide major inconveniences or barriers to it's usage. GFWL provides both of those and from there it's a personal choice whether or not the person feels GFWL is too much of a problem to support or not. Demanding Eyefinity support is self-entitlement, demanding 3DVision support is self-entitlement. Demanding a product that is 90% guaranteed to work when you install it is FAR from self-entitlement.
It's the prevailing attitude of,"GFWL? No purchase." that I'm mainly refering to. I already stated that I wasn't knocking those with legitimate/reasonable complaints. I TOO EXPERIENCED PRETTY MUCH EVERY MISHAP THAT CAN BE CAUSED BY GFWL. I was also able to resolve them with minimal effort.

Dark Souls coming to PC has great implications. The AIR of "self-entitlement" started to domintate this thread like it does in so many other gaming threads around here.

It's the prevailing attitude of,"GFWL? No purchase." that I'm mainly refering to. I already stated that I wasn't knocking those with legitimate/reasonable complaints. I TOO EXPERIENCED PRETTY MUCH EVERY MISHAP THAT CAN BE CAUSED BY GFWL. I was also able to resolve them with minimal effort.

Dark Souls coming to PC has great implications. The AIR of "self-entitlement" started to domintate this thread like it does in so many other gaming threads around here.

You are coming across in a bit of trollish and high horse fashion but you do hit on a grain of truth that goes something like this:

It's a lot of talk and yet more of the seemingly neverending excuse to hate and overblow said hate around these parts. It's an art form and a bad cliche around here. The best example of it is when you can make a thread about a game that's 6-9 months from release, hit it with some pictures, and watch pages and pages of speculation and hate off of said speculation blow that thread up to a dozen pages in a handful of days.

I really do wonder if some people around here even like videogames.

To that end, Derangel is right. There are certainly legitimate complaints to be had whether it be about GFWL, Steam (yes, I'm going there) and the rest of it. None of is perfect.

GFWL has never been enough to prevent me from buying a game that I was interested in and this will be no expection. The GFWL hate, like so many other things around here, is just WAY overblown. To that end, obviously I've seen some people go through some real horror stories with it.

I know I've been lucky in this regard but I've never yet had the first issue or problem with GFWL. Heh, not yet anyways.

Hell, at least I don't get a "game not available" message for something I paid for like I still can with Steam on occasion. For single player, offline games.

But that's ok with everyone. :)

Oh yeah, I went there.

Last edited:
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...igh-the-shortfalls-of-the-dark-souls-pc-port/
________

Yes, Praise the Sun! Dark Souls is coming to the PC at last, proving internet petitions aren't completely without merit. The good news was officially announced last week, after some Facebook promotions and a not-so-deceptive teaser in a German magazine. At long last the keyboard and mouse crowd will be able to partake in covenants, know true fear with Ornstein and Smough, and die and die again at the hands (and dogs) of the Capra Demon. The port boasts brand new bosses, areas, NPCs and more. It's not often you see a Japanese console game take the leap to the PC - with Capcom's MT Framework set being the exception. When a game does make the jump there is often some unpleasantness in the port as well.

From the PC perspective the biggest issue is Games for Windows Live being the backbone to the game. The announcement that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition would be using GFWL caused a very vocal community to erupt, spewing forth another petition within minutes asking for GFWL to be removed. Carlson Choi, the Vice President of Marketing of Namco Bandai America had just gotten off the stage, delivering a keynote stating one of Namco Bandai's new focuses would be on the community. Later, in a personal conversation, he stated he would be looking into this new petition and wouldn't discount it.

It's easy to fixate on GFWL, a long-time punching bag in computer gaming. But there are a few other aspects to fixate on as well. I was able to see Dark Souls running on a PC at the Namco event, and it did look great. I saw the hero dressed as one of the new characters, a foppish man brandishing a pitchfork, not of the trident variety, but something that could easily be used to shovel hay or manure, more a tool than an armament. While the weapon was new, the environment wasn't; it was the Firelink Shrine, an old location, and not exactly a hotbed of activity. Later on, a quick trip to the Undead Burg showcased a spot of melee. It ran smoothly, though when asked how the infamous, frame-killing Blighttown would run on a killer rig, there was some nervous laughter, and finally an honest answer conveying "hopefully pretty good!" The translator for director Hidetaka Miyazaki (and his entourage) was incredibly fluent with English, though some of the more technical aspects seemed a bit muddled. From Software is handling the port themselves, bringing over their proprietary engine to Windows. The short demo was played with an Xbox 360 controller in hand. They said keyboard and mouse would be supported, but a gamepad would still be the preferred way to play. We were the last group to talk to the Dark Souls team, and they were keeping quiet about the online and rumors of PVP battlefields. Maybe the fallout from the GFWL debacle had caused them to tighten their lips?

All of these issues will likely irritate PC enthusiasts. Still, there's a lot to be thankful for. The new content will bulk up the game by 10-20%, with three to four new areas, and as many bosses. There won't be any new spells or covenants, but new weapons and armor will be there to collect and master. The new areas won't be part of the interconnecting locations that makes up the world, instead being part of the game's literal past, played out in single, standalone segments, like the Painted World for those who have braved Anor Lando already. Lore-seekers moight be excited to meet and battle legendary Artorias, the Abysswalker. (I'm keen to discover what Artorias will say if I show up wearing his ring and wielding his sword.) Finally, just the fact it's getting ported well after its initial release is a great thing. GameTrailers' gave Dark Souls RPG of the Year for 2011, and there are a lot of PC RPG fans out there.

Sure, PC players might have a lot to sigh about, but for long-time console fans, it's more like prepare to cry: as of now there's no plan to bring the new content back over to the Xbox or PlayStation 3. Maybe we should start a petition?

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...igh-the-shortfalls-of-the-dark-souls-pc-port/
________

Yes, Praise the Sun! Dark Souls is coming to the PC at last, proving internet petitions aren't completely without merit. The good news was officially announced last week, after some Facebook promotions and a not-so-deceptive teaser in a German magazine. At long last the keyboard and mouse crowd will be able to partake in covenants, know true fear with Ornstein and Smough, and die and die again at the hands (and dogs) of the Capra Demon. The port boasts brand new bosses, areas, NPCs and more. It's not often you see a Japanese console game take the leap to the PC - with Capcom's MT Framework set being the exception. When a game does make the jump there is often some unpleasantness in the port as well.

From the PC perspective the biggest issue is Games for Windows Live being the backbone to the game. The announcement that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition would be using GFWL caused a very vocal community to erupt, spewing forth another petition within minutes asking for GFWL to be removed. Carlson Choi, the Vice President of Marketing of Namco Bandai America had just gotten off the stage, delivering a keynote stating one of Namco Bandai's new focuses would be on the community. Later, in a personal conversation, he stated he would be looking into this new petition and wouldn't discount it.

It's easy to fixate on GFWL, a long-time punching bag in computer gaming. But there are a few other aspects to fixate on as well. I was able to see Dark Souls running on a PC at the Namco event, and it did look great. I saw the hero dressed as one of the new characters, a foppish man brandishing a pitchfork, not of the trident variety, but something that could easily be used to shovel hay or manure, more a tool than an armament. While the weapon was new, the environment wasn't; it was the Firelink Shrine, an old location, and not exactly a hotbed of activity. Later on, a quick trip to the Undead Burg showcased a spot of melee. It ran smoothly, though when asked how the infamous, frame-killing Blighttown would run on a killer rig, there was some nervous laughter, and finally an honest answer conveying "hopefully pretty good!" The translator for director Hidetaka Miyazaki (and his entourage) was incredibly fluent with English, though some of the more technical aspects seemed a bit muddled. From Software is handling the port themselves, bringing over their proprietary engine to Windows. The short demo was played with an Xbox 360 controller in hand. They said keyboard and mouse would be supported, but a gamepad would still be the preferred way to play. We were the last group to talk to the Dark Souls team, and they were keeping quiet about the online and rumors of PVP battlefields. Maybe the fallout from the GFWL debacle had caused them to tighten their lips?

All of these issues will likely irritate PC enthusiasts. Still, there's a lot to be thankful for. The new content will bulk up the game by 10-20%, with three to four new areas, and as many bosses. There won't be any new spells or covenants, but new weapons and armor will be there to collect and master. The new areas won't be part of the interconnecting locations that makes up the world, instead being part of the game's literal past, played out in single, standalone segments, like the Painted World for those who have braved Anor Lando already. Lore-seekers moight be excited to meet and battle legendary Artorias, the Abysswalker. (I'm keen to discover what Artorias will say if I show up wearing his ring and wielding his sword.) Finally, just the fact it's getting ported well after its initial release is a great thing. GameTrailers' gave Dark Souls RPG of the Year for 2011, and there are a lot of PC RPG fans out there.

Sure, PC players might have a lot to sigh about, but for long-time console fans, it's more like prepare to cry: as of now there's no plan to bring the new content back over to the Xbox or PlayStation 3. Maybe we should start a petition?
Take a bow man...very reasonable subjective summary if I don't say so myself.

Destructoid has a little more info on this in addition to what is already posted: http://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-pc-details-specs-control-pvp-and-more-225963.phtml

Quick summary:

The game will not looking better than the PS3 version

Minimum specs will be posted later this year

PVP is not going to be a huge thing, just a little bonus

No mod support

The new content is PC exclusive and there are no plans to bring it to consoles

Destructoid has a little more info on this in addition to what is already posted: http://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-pc-details-specs-control-pvp-and-more-225963.phtml

Quick summary:

The game will not looking better than the PS3 version

Minimum specs will be posted later this year

PVP is not going to be a huge thing, just a little bonus

No mod support

The new content is PC exclusive and there are no plans to bring it to consoles

Well looks like it is time to finally sell my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. I was hanging onto it and hoping for DLC...

Also the problems in Blighttown were just due to bad design, not because the PS3 and 360 simply couldn't handle that awesomeness. The draw distance was too high plus once you got into the zone, almost every enemy in the place was active and being rendered/AI controlled even if they were 150 yards away and you wouldn't get to them for 20 minutes. Also those stupid respawning flies that come out of the muck are always active too.

I don't think there's a dire need to customize FoV for this sort of game; the camera is pulled back enough from the character so you can see quite a bit of your environment.

Well looks like it is time to finally sell my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. I was hanging onto it and hoping for DLC...

Also the problems in Blighttown were just due to bad design, not because the PS3 and 360 simply couldn't handle that awesomeness. The draw distance was too high plus once you got into the zone, almost every enemy in the place was active and being rendered/AI controlled even if they were 150 yards away and you wouldn't get to them for 20 minutes. Also those stupid respawning flies that come out of the muck are always active too.

From Software has been very clear about no DLC no DLC no DLC from day one.

I read From is saying not to count on 60 fps or beyond 720p resolution support. But locked 30fps would still be a nice step up from consoles.

I read From is saying not to count on 60 fps or beyond 720p resolution support. But locked 30fps would still be a nice step up from consoles.

I've yet to see anything where they stated it would only be 1280x720.Can you provide a link to that?

Hopefully the port is decent. Everything From is saying basically sounds like, "We're going to half ass it, you're lucky to be getting it."

Hopefully the port is decent. Everything From is saying basically sounds like, "We're going to half ass it, you're lucky to be getting it."

Where do you get that idea? What I get is that they're being upfront and honest about what to expect. They have a limited time and a limited budget to do everything. Would you rather have them come straight out and say "hey we're not improving the graphics and we hope the frame rate will be better in Brighttown" or say nothing at all?

Where do you get that idea? What I get is that they're being upfront and honest about what to expect. They have a limited time and a limited budget to do everything. Would you rather have them come straight out and say "hey we're not improving the graphics and we hope the frame rate will be better in Brighttown" or say nothing at all?

Not improving the graphics I'm fine with. Saying you're going to half ass KB/M support is kind of asinine.

Not improving the graphics I'm fine with. Saying you're going to half ass KB/M support is kind of asinine.

They never said they were going to half-ass it. They said the controller would be the prefered method which makes complete sense given A. It was developed 100% for consoles with no thought given at any point to a PC version and B. It's not even a game ideally suited for keyboard and mouse controls.

I'm going to try kbm first, but with the caveat that if it doesn't translate well, I have a controller ready.

Since I own it on the PS3, I wonder if I should even bother? I know it has extra stuff, but still.

It's possibly a bad translation since I haven't seen that reported from other places that got to speak directly with them at the event where the PC version was announced.

DSOG is just translating the page they linked:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201204/18013184.html

Regardless of how you play around with it in Google Translate, it's a simple resolution = no, frame rate will not be 60.

It's definitely possible that's being misinterpreted, as he could have also meant there won't be a limitation on resolution, and there will be no frame rate cap at all.

Even the worst ports allow you to change the resolution. He most likely meant that they won't create high-resolution assets for the PC version.

Someone who played it at an event (PAX?) said it was running better than the console version, which is locked at 30, so there you have it.

Someone who played it at an event (PAX?) said it was running better than the console version, which is locked at 30, so there you have it.

Keep in mind that the console versions don't run at constant 30fps and that 'smooth' is in the eye of the beholder. :p

It's definitely possible that's being misinterpreted, as he could have also meant there won't be a limitation on resolution, and there will be no frame rate cap at all.

Now I have read they are wrong. And the original Japanese quote is referring to texture resolution only.

So basically console assets in high res. Which is fine. It's a beautiful looking game. The frame rate was the big problem with the console versions.

"In an interview in Famitsu (via DSO Gaming), director Hidetaka Miyazaki stated outright that the game wouldn't be seeing upgrades to its resolution or FPS. "Yes, It's basically a faithful port," he said. "There's no change to the resolution. The frame rate won't be 60 FPS." To be clear, the resolution bit refers to upscaled assets, not monitor resolution sizes."

Ouch.

If only it had steamworks.. it would counter all this.. /sarcasm.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/73427/dark-souls-port-specs-disappoint-pc-fans

"In an interview in Famitsu (via DSO Gaming), director Hidetaka Miyazaki stated outright that the game wouldn't be seeing upgrades to its resolution or FPS. "Yes, It's basically a faithful port," he said. "There's no change to the resolution. The frame rate won't be 60 FPS." To be clear, the resolution bit refers to upscaled assets, not monitor resolution sizes."

Ouch.

If only it had steamworks.. it would counter all this.. /sarcasm.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/73427/dark-souls-port-specs-disappoint-pc-fans

Dude, did you even read the previous couple of posts?

Now I have read they are wrong. And the original Japanese quote is referring to texture resolution only.

So basically console assets in high res. Which is fine. It's a beautiful looking game. The frame rate was the big problem with the console versions.

That makes perfect sense.

I still think its reasonable he meant no frame rate cap also.

rofl I have to stick around and find out why a 30fps cap and upscaling everything from 720p is a great though.

I'd guess the 30FPS cap (assuming the translation is correct) is in place because From Software wants to set a stable frame-rate target. As for not creating brand new high resolution assets simple: Limited time, limited money, limited market. It wouldn't be quick or cheap to recreate all the art assets in a higher resolution. From Software already has to port over an engine that was probably never designed to work on the PC in first place and they only have until August to do it, not to mention it's unlikely that they have a full team working on it since they have Steel Battallion: Heavy Armor to finish.

After reading the past few pages of this thread, I predict that this will be the last PC port From Software makes. lol

Yup, fairly sad, especially knowing that there were valid reasons for using GFWL. I don't blame people for hating it and I don't blame them for using it in this case, but it feels like it's just not going to work as well as it should have.

Yup, fairly sad, especially knowing that there were valid reasons for using GFWL. I don't blame people for hating it and I don't blame them for using it in this case, but it feels like it's just not going to work as well as it should have.

We'll see. They might still ditch it. It's pretty much up to NamcoBandai at this point as they're the ones that told FS to use GFWL. However I still think that people that can get over GFWL being on the game should support it and let them know that although we'll deal with it now next time don't put it in if you want support from PC gamers.

Back