Dark Souls is on Steam

"Patience", haha! Wow.
At least we know they're actually working on it after they got DS2:SotFS and DS3 up and running. So much time has passed since Elden Ring's release that people began to think online services wouldn't be restored at all.

"Patience", haha! Wow.

I'm guessing it's going to be another 2 months...it took 7 months to get the DS3 servers back online and another 2 months after that to get DS2...so I'm expecting DS1 in December...I agree that it's a crazy long time...I understand most of their team is working on Elden Ring and future projects but it shouldn't be taking this long

a lot of ER players who never played any of the Souls game probably wanted to give them a try

Online features for Dark Souls Remastered have been reactivated.

https://nitter.it/DarkSoulsGame/status/1590286846465933312
1668003412697.png

finally all three Dark Souls games are back!...I haven't re-played any of them in over a year...I've never re-played all 3 back-to-back...but it's been so long that I'm really in the mood...all 3 Souls games, followed by Sekiro and Elden Ring would be an epic run

I've played the 3 core DS games back to back a couple times. It's interesting because it makes you notice the ebb and flow of difficulty a bit more. Especially in Scholar, where there are major spikes compared to the other titles. Elden Ring would probably feel like a breath of fresh air after the final slog of the DS3 DLC areas. Those are about as rough as it gets.

I've played the 3 core DS games back to back a couple times. It's interesting because it makes you notice the ebb and flow of difficulty a bit more. Especially in Scholar, where there are major spikes compared to the other titles. Elden Ring would probably feel like a breath of fresh air after the final slog of the DS3 DLC areas. Those are about as rough as it gets.

I think the DS2 DLC was harder overall then DS3 DLC bosses...with DS3 it pretty much just sister Friede who was challenging...with DS2 Lud & Zallen, Elana, Sir Alonne, Burnet Ivory King and Sinh were all a challenge in their own way

So, I'm trying to play DS remastered and I have a miserable "hitching" across 3 different platforms; my desktop, laptop, and steam deck. Every 30 or so seconds everything will just stop briefly and then continue, so I wouldn't call it a stutter. I've tried searching but have come up with nothing. Any of you ever deal with this and find a solution?

So, I'm trying to play DS remastered and I have a miserable "hitching" across 3 different platforms; my desktop, laptop, and steam deck. Every 30 or so seconds everything will just stop briefly and then continue, so I wouldn't call it a stutter. I've tried searching but have come up with nothing. Any of you ever deal with this and find a solution?
Your desktop, laptop, and Steamdeck, are all very different platforms. Seems like an issue with the game code, itself.

However, I don't see anyone complaining about it on Steam or DKSR Reddit.

The only thing I can think of, is try lowering a couple of graphical options and see if there is something weird with one of the options.

Your desktop, laptop, and Steamdeck, are all very different platforms. Seems like an issue with the game code, itself.

However, I don't see anyone complaining about it on Steam or DKSR Reddit.

The only thing I can think of, is try lowering a couple of graphical options and see if there is something weird with one of the options.
Yeah to me it seems like it’s the game 100%, I’ve seen similar complaints on Reddit actually. Settings make zero difference.

It’s really unfortunate, I want to experience the game but it’s entirely unplayable for me.

Yeah to me it seems like it’s the game 100%, I’ve seen similar complaints on Reddit actually. Settings make zero difference.

It’s really unfortunate, I want to experience the game but it’s entirely unplayable for me.

were you able to finish Dark Souls 3 (including the DLC)?

were you able to finish Dark Souls 3 (including the DLC)?
Yes! DLC was a bitch lol.

Couldn’t get into Nioh (first one) or Sekiro. Actually enjoyed Remnant: From the Ashes but only for about 40 hours. Totally burnt out on Elden Ring after my fourth playthrough. Hoping I like Wo Long: Fallen Destiny.

Couldn’t get into Nioh (first one) or Sekiro. Actually enjoyed Remnant: From the Ashes but only for about 40 hours. Totally burnt out on Elden Ring after my fourth playthrough. Hoping I like Wo Long: Fallen Destiny.

I also never could bring myself to try Nioh...something about the environments and enemy designs that look so plain and boring...yes I can't help but compare it to From Software games and it doesn't compare...Nioh does bring some unique aspects to the Souls formula with the various stances...I have the first game in my Epic Store library (one of their free game giveaways) and will force myself to give it a go one day but I'm really looking forward to Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

their new game looks much better for some reason

The first Nioh was kinda neat in the way that you could break enemy poise and guard-break them. I also enjoyed the various "ghosts" you could fight that were geared up like other players. Of the Souls-like games, I think it did the best job of introducing a ton of new elements mixed in with familiar ones. The caveat is that the various maps got really old by the end of the game. There were maybe 15'ish large levels scattered throughout the game, but dozens of little ones they kept re-using.

I'm level 78 in Smough's armor with a +5 Black Knight Greatsword let loose in the Catacombs. I'm tanky AF, murdering everything, regenerating more HP than the skeletons can take from me, "this game isn't even challenging anymore", BOOM

policy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false.gif

What had happened was: I went down a ladder, read a sign that said "Up Ahead!". and sprinted forward only to fall through the floor and get one shot by a black knight below just as I hit the ground. I wasn't expecting it and was dead before I could even react. What do I care? Its only 60k souls and I'll get them back in 30 seconds.

Narrator, "On his way back to collect his souls he stopped to attack a skeleton that he'd normally just run past and fell off of the walkway 5 seconds in".

I think that I have finally found the joy of Dark Souls. It started out so tense but now I'm desensitized to it to the point that I just expect to get shit on at some point and it can be pretty spectacular when it happens. I mean "Of Course these statues have spikes in them", "Of course those thing inflict Toxic", "Of course there's a ghost that attacks me from inside the wall when I climb this ladder", "Of course the quickest runback is in a different zone", "Of course I killed Andre in a drunken stupor and now I can't upgrade my Zweihander past +10 so I guess I'll save some souls to upgrade my Dex to use the BKGS and upgrade it and hopefully it's good" but I have learned and I have persevered. I hated the Bed of Chaos but by the end I felt like Fat Neo on a no-hit challenge, "Run past these, turn here, jump-attack this one, turn here, attack this asshole through the wall, run around these, run up the stairs, turn right, here". A lot of the fun comes from losing the fear of dying and realizing that you must spend your souls, push on, and overcome.

PS: BKGS +5 is awesome. I wasn't sure I would like it over the pancakes of the Zwei but the BKGS' R2 sends human-sized enemies into the stratosphere. It can be super fun even if it is too slow to use on many bosses.
PSS: Just got hit by statue spikes. They do 26 damage but I have 1214 left so I'll just heal it up off of that black knight...

1675218808727.png

Last edited:
I killed the knight in 1 jump-attack. Killed Pinwheel in 2 R1s. Ran through The Tomb of Giants 1-shotting the skeletons. Dropped down into room and was mobbed by 6 of them.

1*ZRVNksnH6x8n6jB9CcH4mw.gif

FYI:
Due to the scaling on the BKGS your damage at 50 STR is 595 compared to 588 at 40 STR. Those extra 10 soul levels would have been better used in VIT for your build. Scaling for STR drops off a cliff after 40. Damage at 99 STR would be 630.
Maybe. But I'll whip out Havel's shield every now and then with the Lightning Spear. Plus I have the Dragon King Greataxe and Smough's hammer to play with at some point. I haven't put any points into Vit in probably 30 levels; they've been going into End in an effort to get a few more combat options since it currently only takes 2-3 swings to burn out the Sta which can be annoying when fighting groups or bosses.

Last edited:
Maybe. But I'll whip out Havel's shield every now and then with the Lightning Spear. Plus I have the Dragon King Greataxe and Smough's hammer to play with at some point. I haven't put any points into Vit in probably 30 levels; they've been going into End in an effort to get a few more combat options since it currently only takes 2-3 swings to burn out the Sta which can be annoying when fighting groups or bosses.
Ah, okay. Smough's Hammer requires 58 STR to wield 1H, IIRC.

Well I absolutely wrecked Nito on my first try. Like 20 minutes later I'm at Gwyn and he falls over in 5 hits, again on my first try. "Ooh bonfire"! I was not expecting it to choose the ending and then immediately start me in NG+. :mad:

I was hoping it would be like Elden Ring where I could rest at the bonfire and reload to choose a different ending or go finish up other things. I have like 20 achievements left and I feel like I could do another run in 1/3 of the time but I'm not sure I want to.

Last edited:
I just went and tried DS 2 and 3. Both of them feel so clunky compared to Remastered that I don't think I can put the effort in to play them. 3 felt much better than 2 and while 3 does feel faster/smoother than DS1:Remastered it still feels off somehow.

I just went and tried DS 2 and 3. Both of them feel so clunky compared to Remastered that I don't think I can put the effort in to play them. 3 felt much better than 2 and while 3 does feel faster/smoother than DS1:Remastered it still feels off somehow.
Going from 3 to Remastered was a total 180 for me lol. 3 felt like Roll Souls, 1 was clunky AF.

Trying to get through this slog of a game. Very nearly gave up multiple times, just so much endless trecking over and over only to get one shot by most bosses. This game makes Elden Ring look like Animal Crossing.

Gwyn is giving me a hell of a time. I realized though I didn’t play the dlc content or even went to the painted world so finished the painted world today, and started the dlc, which seems like it’s gonna be a major PITA.

Very little chance I’ll do Ng+, the fact that you can’t respec means you can’t really try out other builds and I also find resources too limited to try much else anyway. At this point I just want to beat it so I can say I did, then onto DS2. Once that’s done hopefully it’ll be time for the ER dlc or who knows, maybe an announcement for Demon’s souls on PC.

Definitely a great game but yeah, it’s brutal af.

Trying to get through this slog of a game. Very nearly gave up multiple times, just so much endless trecking over and over only to get one shot by most bosses. This game makes Elden Ring look like Animal Crossing.

Gwyn is giving me a hell of a time. I realized though I didn’t play the dlc content or even went to the painted world so finished the painted world today, and started the dlc, which seems like it’s gonna be a major PITA.

Very little chance I’ll do Ng+, the fact that you can’t respec means you can’t really try out other builds and I also find resources too limited to try much else anyway. At this point I just want to beat it so I can say I did, then onto DS2. Once that’s done hopefully it’ll be time for the ER dlc or who knows, maybe an announcement for Demon’s souls on PC.

Definitely a great game but yeah, it’s brutal af.
I'm finally going to play the original and the remastered version on my Steam Deck. Then do the same for Dark Souls 2 and the remastered version. I like the idea of having the enemies in different locations and stuff.

I'm finally going to play the original and the remastered version on my Steam Deck. Then do the same for Dark Souls 2 and the remastered version. I like the idea of having the enemies in different locations and stuff.
Just a forewarning, I’ve played DS:R on multiple systems; two laptops, my desktop, and my steam deck, and it has this super annoying ‘hitching’ where everything just stops for like a half a second. I decided to just power through it but the issue is significantly worse on the SD. The original runs fine but the loss in visual quality wasn’t worth it to me.

There is nothing different as far as game structure between PtDE and Remastered. I'd personally skip PtDE since it runs and looks significantly worse. Dark Souls 2 is worth it since there are noticeable changes between the original and SotFS. Personally, I like the original more the SotFS, but both are worth a playthrough.
Just a forewarning, I’ve played DS:R on multiple systems; two laptops, my desktop, and my steam deck, and it has this super annoying ‘hitching’ where everything just stops for like a half a second. I decided to just power through it but the issue is significantly worse on the SD. The original runs fine but the loss in visual quality wasn’t worth it to me.
Never noticed on my PC. It was always perfectly smooth on both my i7-4770 and i9-9900K from TITAN X -> 2080 Ti -> 3090 (haven't played it on my 4090 yet).

I like the Scholar of the First Sin version of DS2 much better...enemies chase you for longer distances, enemies and item placement is better, The Pursuer boss has multiple locations, overall it's just a better challenge where I thought the base game was too easy (until the DLC)

For whatever reason my controllers no longer work with Dark Souls: Remastered anyone encounter this issue? Guessing it's from a update since the last time I played.

Edit:
I fixed it, posting here incase anyone runs into this issue. All you have to do is go to your Steam Library > Dark Souls: Remastered > Unknown Controller Support > View Controller Settings > Then just setup the controller.

Last edited:
For whatever reason my controllers no longer work with Dark Souls: Remastered anyone encounter this issue? Guessing it's from a update since the last time I played.

Edit:
I fixed it, posting here incase anyone runs into this issue. All you have to do is go to your Steam Library > Dark Souls: Remastered > Unknown Controller Support > View Controller Settings > Then just setup the controller.
Never ran into that with Remastered. I did with Prepare to Die Edition. In that case it was the way in which the game code enumerated USB devices, and you needed to clear out the inactive HIDs in the Device Manager to fix it.

Never ran into that with Remastered. I did with Prepare to Die Edition. In that case it was the way in which the game code enumerated USB devices, and you needed to clear out the inactive HIDs in the Device Manager to fix it.
I'm not entirely sure what the issue was, but I think it had something to do with Steam's recent update that enabled Sony controllers to work natively in pretty much every game that has PS buttons built in, using the controller wirelessly. I've been too busy to actually read into it, but I noticed quite a few games that I was playing would now use the correct button icons. All I know is, maybe some games that say Unknown Controller Support may need to be manually configured. I'm not super technical on low level coding, so not entirely sure how they implemented it, but I think it's probably through some emulated driver that functions differently than how it used to prior to the update.

Back