Dark Souls is on Steam

Hmm, where is that option? I'm sure it was right in front of me, but I don't recall seeing it
Log Out is the last option in the main menu, so you have to scroll all the way down. Starting in offline mode is in Network Options. This wasn't an option in the PTDE, but it is in 2, SotFS and 3.

Why bother putting Steam in offline mode when the game itself has an offline mode? Just go to the main menu and Log Out. You can still play the game and you won't have to worry about being invaded. You can even go into the options and tell the game to start in offline mode. The other 2 games have this option, as well.
Because it wasn't in the PTDE and as far as the later games, I don't think it is in DS2 (non scholar version IIRC but then again it's been a while so I could have just missed it), and after putting steam to offline mode became my standard for turning invasions off I never even noticed the log out button was there. ;)

Dark Souls Remastered gets a facelift with 'Evie's Ultra HD' texture pack

Based on the Firelink Shrine UE4 Remake that was released in March by the same creator, the mod is a work-in-progress redo of all visible textures in Dark Souls Remastered...it covers "NMaps, Height Maps and Albedo Textures for all textures within viewing distance," in native 4K and without upscaling...it is not, however, a point-for-point recreation of the original: "This retex is not [meant to] be accurate to the original game, it's created to my tastes," the mod author noted...

https://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-remastered-gets-a-facelift-with-evies-ultra-hd-texture-pack/

Patch 1.03 for Dark Souls: Remastered released on July 11, 2018
  • Improved the security against cheating during online multiplayer.
  • Fixed a bug in which players become invisible during online multiplayer.
  • Fixed a bug in which The Four Kings are not displayed properly in The Abyss.
  • Fixed a bug in which the ending comes up in Kiln of the first flame without defeating the boss when you do specific moves before the boss area.
  • Fixed a bug in which player's clear data is erroneous when the application is finished on specific conditions after defeating Gwyn, Lord of Cinder.
  • Fixed a bug in which messages are not displayed to other players on asynchronous online.
  • Fixed a bug in which session matching stops during online mode when the player fails to join the session where blocked players are playing.
  • Fixed a bug in which the number of Estus Flask possessions is not displayed properly when you return by Black Separation Crystal.

Last edited:
Dark Souls Remastered gets a facelift with 'Evie's Ultra HD' texture pack

Based on the Firelink Shrine UE4 Remake that was released in March by the same creator, the mod is a work-in-progress redo of all visible textures in Dark Souls Remastered...it covers "NMaps, Height Maps and Albedo Textures for all textures within viewing distance," in native 4K and without upscaling...it is not, however, a point-for-point recreation of the original: "This retex is not [meant to] be accurate to the original game, it's created to my tastes," the mod author noted...

https://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-remastered-gets-a-facelift-with-evies-ultra-hd-texture-pack/
Sorry, I don't dig the altered aesthetic. I had the same issue with "HD" mods for PTDE. Everything looks too sharp and clean.

Interesting. I'm assuming previous owners can still download the original PTDE, can't we?

Honestly, from what I've read the guy just made the game hard and convoluted. Basically the antithesis of the wonderful game design the original game brought. So I have absolutely no interest in trying it.

Honestly, from what I've read the guy just made the game hard and convoluted. Basically the antithesis of the wonderful game design the original game brought. So I have absolutely no interest in trying it.

but I love hard and convoluted :D ...right up my alley then...after playing the game for over 1000 hours it'll be nice to get a change of pace...new surprises etc...I have no time to try this out now but I'll keep an eye on it...hopefully it gets added to the Remastered version soon

but I love hard and convoluted :D ...right up my alley then...after playing the game for over 1000 hours it'll be nice to get a change of pace...new surprises etc...I have no time to try this out now but I'll keep an eye on it...hopefully it gets added to the Remastered version soon

The maker of the mod said he is going to port it to the remastered version but wants to make sure the PTDE is working 100% correctly before he does.

Does the remaster version improve kb/m controls or shouold i just stick with the orignal ? Also what mod is required to make the kb/m tolerable. I tried the game a long time ago and hated the controls but I think i want to give it another try.

Does the remaster version improve kb/m controls or shouold i just stick with the orignal ? Also what mod is required to make the kb/m tolerable. I tried the game a long time ago and hated the controls but I think i want to give it another try.

Have you tried a gamepad?

if you were ok with the controls of DS2/DS3 then you should be fine with this one. the original used some sort of emulator for kb/m. even with the mod there was still input lag. I found it much easier to parry in RM.

I don't use gamepad; have you tired reading the question ?
This guy.

Go get a Xbox controller and enjoy the game. I was a KB/M-masterrace asshole for many years myself, felt no controller would ever touch my PC. Then Dark Souls came along and it converted me. These games were made for a controller. And pretty much every other 3rd person exploration game, I don't play with anything but controller.

You can try it out, or you can be stupid.

Last edited:
This guy.

Go get a Xbox controller and enjoy the game. I was a KB/M-masterrace asshole for many years myself, felt no controller would ever touch my PC. Then Dark Souls came along and it converted me. These games were made for a controller. And pretty much every other 3rd person exploration game, I don't play with anything but controller.
Yep. I also use it for driving games since I don't have a wheel.

This guy.

Go get a Xbox controller and enjoy the game...
Well, some people like myself must be stupid. I have used controllers before, mainly to play Demon Souls because that was the only option. However I never adjusted to it. I get along fine with keyboard and mouse. It's not a matter of anything superior, it's just what I've been using the past 25 years.

I'm a gamepad snob, but I'm also a fan of using what you're comfortable with.

I'm liking Daughters of Ash so far. However, I'm not hearing any music. Even at the menu. Intentional?

I've said it 100 times...kb/m is perfectly fine with DS1, Sekiro or any of the Souls games...I have over 1000 hours in the original and have replayed the remaster a few times as well...and I kick ass with kb/m...all you need to do it remap some of the keys and you'll be fine...with the Remastered version some key functions are hard locked and can't be remapped using the game options...you need to go into the ini file and remap it there

Last edited:
-
Statement: If i play dark soul it will be kb/m. I do not enjoy using a controller; you don't need to understand why i don't enjoy controllers. You don't need to understand if i own one or if i have ever used it. Those facts are not relevant.

Question: Did the remaster version improve kb/m controls or am I better of using mods on the original version (which I own) ?
-
You could contribute by noting that darksoul isn't playable with kb/m or actually have insightful information related to the question (which at least one person did). If you can't do either of these then be intelligent enough to keep quiet. Name calling just shows your colour.
-

This guy.

I think i had two major issues. First i couldn't really understand when i lacked stamia to block - i think i could only block once or twice. The other issue is i couldn't figure out how to remap the way inventory/skills worked fast enough to make it useful during combat. Specifically I remember you could assign a single key to some skills but with inventory it was really designed for a controller where you would be toggling through the list of options quickly and not kb/m where each class of item was mapped to a key.

I've said it 100 times...kb/m is perfectly fine with DS1, Sekiro or any of the Souls games...I have over 100 hours in the original and have replayed the remaster a few times as well...and I kick ass with kb/m...all you need to do it remap some of the keys and you'll be fine...with the Remastered version some key functions are hard locked and can't be remapped using the game options...you need to go into the ini file and remap it there

Dark Souls: Nightfall Mod

Dark Souls: Nightfall picks up where the original game ends (as with Daughters of Ash, this will be a mod for Dark Souls: Remastered)

Nightfall has something like a 'stance' mechanic, whereby players can either play super-aggressive with quicker attacks, better dodges and a health regain system akin to that of Bloodborne, or play with slightly less offensive capability but the ability to heal. Switching between the two takes roughly the same amount of time as drinking an Estus, so it's a combat element that fits into boss fights in particular very well...

Dark Souls Remastered Will No Longer Be Discounted For 'Prepare To Die' Owners Soon

The Steam version of Dark Souls Remastered has been half-price for owners of the original game for two years, but that will end in September...starting on September 30th, Dark Souls Remastered will cost the full price of $40 for everyone...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/d...-for-prepare-to-die-owners-soon/1100-6494483/
If you haven't bought it by now, then you probably were not going to anyway. Some people are a little too adamant about clinging onto the PTDE version even though it now has a tenth the active player base as the Remastered version and is far inferior.

Dark Souls wins the popular vote for "Ultimate Game of All Time" at the Golden Joystick Awards against other fantastic candidates like Tetris, SMB3, Doom, and Sim City.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-sou...me-of-all-time-at-the-golden-joystick-awards/
There are some heavy hitters on that list. I'd put Dark Souls in my all-time top 5 games ever, though. It's tough to compare games from different genres and eras like that, so I can't really be mad at any sort of recency bias. My favorite is probably still Street Fighter 2. In Dark Souls, I still appreciate how many approaches you can take and still be effective. Different weapons, magic, armor, items, etc. You can even approach the map in different ways, too. It just offers a nearly unmatched amount of flexibility.

In Dark Souls, I still appreciate how many approaches you can take and still be effective. Different weapons, magic, armor, items, etc. You can even approach the map in different ways, too. It just offers a nearly unmatched amount of flexibility.

the map flexibility is a bit overstated, I love Dark Souls but the map is pretty much designed in a certain order (for the first half of the game)...yes you can visit the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins but you can't really go through the levels because you are under-powered...the final few bosses after you obtain the Lordvessel can be done in any order

the map flexibility is a bit overstated, I love Dark Souls but the map is pretty much designed in a certain order (for the first half of the game)...yes you can visit the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins but you can't really go through the levels because you are under-powered...the final few bosses after you obtain the Lordvessel can be done in any order
I've done the entirety of New Londo Ruins first thing before, to join the Darkwraith Covenant and get Kaathe's side of the story. You can enter the Undead Parish from the back door and farm the souls needed for the Crest of Artorias by doing the first area of Darkroot Garden and the defeating Sif for the ring. Four Kings is not too hard early on if you stay focused.

I've done the entirety of New Londo Ruins first thing before, to join the Darkwraith Covenant and get Kaathe's side of the story. You can enter the Undead Parish from the back door and farm the souls needed for the Crest of Artorias by doing the first area of Darkroot Garden and the defeating Sif for the ring. Four Kings is not too hard early on if you stay focused.

I do always do that in main playthroughs (mainly to get the unlimited Red Eye Orb) but that's not what I was referring to (although I've never fought Four Kings as the very first boss, that would be insane)...that's part of the normal progression (if you choose that path)...I'm talking about actually going through entire areas like normal such as the Catacombs etc even though they are accessible from the very beginning of the game...I'm also not referring to just running through the areas to get an item or join a covenant, I do that in my Dex builds just to grab the Great Scythe

I'm also not referring to using summoning or co-op nonsense...post a video of you beating Four Kings as the first boss with no help

Last edited:
I do always do that in main playthroughs (mainly to get the unlimited Red Eye Orb) but that's not what I was referring to (although I've never fought Four Kings as the very first boss, that would be insane)...that's part of the normal progression (if you choose that path)...I'm talking about actually going through entire areas like normal such as the Catacombs etc even though they are accessible from the very beginning of the game...I'm also not referring to just running through the areas to get an item or join a covenant, I do that in my Dex builds just to grab the Great Scythe

I'm also not referring to using summoning or co-op nonsense...post a video of you beating Four Kings as the first boss with no help
I don't see the distinction between what I and you are saying. I've done the Catacombs first thing before, too, and usually move far enough into the Tomb of Giants to at least get the first bonfire for a warp point to use after getting the Lordvessel. I've gone in every possible direction you are able to without glitches at the start of this game. I just don't like doing the Blighttown run first because I hate running through an area without completing it as I go, and climbing up to The Depths is a pain in the ass versus descending to the swamp.

The only thing you cannot do without glitches from the start of the game is defeat the bosses behind the golden fog walls since you need the Lordvessel, and you can't get to Anor Londo without ringing the bells first.

Even if you can't 100% go anywhere at the beginning of the game, you still have a lot of flexibility with where you go and when. You don't have absolute freedom, but you have a lot. It doesn't have to be black and white.

There is a lot of flexibility------if you choose to start with the master key which opens most doors. New players don't necessarily know this. And IMO, new players shouldn't choose it the first time through, anyway. Without the key, you are more or less forced down a certain route through the first 3rd. And this way, Dark Souls is quite well paced for the curve of mechanics, enemy types, lore, world building, environments, overall difficulty.

The master key is IMO, best used for 2nd playthroughs or later.

Last edited:
I just don't like doing the Blighttown run first because I hate running through an area without completing it as I go, and climbing up to The Depths is a pain in the ass versus descending to the swamp.

yes that's my point...I hate going through areas if I can't complete it or do a 'normal' run-through...I don't consider running through areas to grab an item (while avoiding enemies) etc a legit run...but I agree with everyone's overall point that Dark Souls offers a degree of freedom right from the start that you don't see in a lot of games...Elden Ring sounds like an evolution with even more freedom right from the start

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821064420716544

1.png

2.png

Back