Dark Souls is on Steam

DL this after installing DSFix 2.4

Morten242s UI for DSfix at Dark Souls Nexus - mods and community

Set it to your desktop resolution, run it in borderless windowed mode, and also check disable intro videos.

Report back

(this game is a royal PITA to get working and working well but its def worth it)

How to Fix Dark Souls on PC (includes keyboard/mouse fixes) :: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition General Discussions

Read this as well.

And if your using KB/M, def install this (linked is the latest ver)

DSMfix update for new steamworks patch • /r/darksouls

EDIT: Apparently disabling in-game anti-aliasing is "the setting" that fixes the crash for Win 10.

(which should be disabled anyways, use DSFix's SMAA)

Last edited:
In-game AA is usually the culprit...at least assuming you can run the game without DSFix. If it's the vanilla version of the game crashing, different story.

Is anybody good with Autohotkey??

I tried my best but could never get it to work reliably.... (all I want is Kick and Jump Attack mapped to buttons 2 and 3)

So it's W+H=2
and W+U=3

Any chance for some help here fellas?

Many thanks.

Just an update, after searching high and low, I gave up on finding a script to combine the two keys (reason I wanted this is because hitting "w" and left-click / right-click was anything but responsive 99% of the time)

So, I decided to map attack to Caps Lock and heavy attack to Shift.

I'm still using the mouse keys obviously but combining shift/caps with W is super easy to reach and consistently reliable.

Works great and....

Disable Caps Lock Function without remapping/disable? (Win 7)

I stumbled across this nifty script that disables Caps Lock functionality while keep the key enabled for gaming purposes.

Good stuff.

Now to play DS at the KB/M difficulty level :cool:

This shit cracked me up so hard...

from this article: https://cosplay.kotaku.com/dark-souls-vs-star-wars-1804697595

slightly NSFW at one part

qsukjikiicyhpqlgfwjj.gif

Everyone should try and make at least one really deep run into the first Dark Souls. It isn't for everyone (especially with no walk-throughs or summoned help), but the best parts of the game done really come until most players have been weeded out by Havel or random black knights. For that matter, the game actually gets easier after Anor Londo, which is another major weed out spot.

Everyone should try and make at least one really deep run into the first Dark Souls. It isn't for everyone (especially with no walk-throughs or summoned help), but the best parts of the game done really come until most players have been weeded out by Havel or random black knights. For that matter, the game actually gets easier after Anor Londo, which is another major weed out spot.

I started over and made a new character after I got to Anor Lando the first time. I was 60 hours in. I got back there in about 6 or 8 hours on the second run, and my character was much more optimized.

I started over and made a new character after I got to Anor Lando the first time. I was 60 hours in. I got back there in about 6 or 8 hours on the second run, and my character was much more optimized.

Yeah, I actually think everyone is probably best off doing that. I started over not long after killing the Capra Demon on my first go-round. I was grinding levels and doing it all wrong, so I just started over with some advice from a couple friends. I got back there in no time and without "wasting" 10'ish levels on stats that didn't help me.
I always think about Dark Souls 2 and 3 being easier, but half of that is because I knew how to approach them. I knew how the leveling system worked, the way combat worked, the way weapons scaled, etc.
They're probably just as tough if not more so if you don't know those things going in.

What's the farthest you've gotten?
Hmm lets see. I think I've tried the Bed of Chaos once or twice, but never beat it. I've tried 4 kings countless times but never beat it. I tried the Duke's Archives boss once but never went back. I've beaten Pinwheel but never gone into the Tomb of Giants because I didn't have a light source (those damn mobs never dropped their lantern thingie). I've also never even been into the Painted world area. I've never successfully beaten the bastard who kidnapped my lovely firelink shrine lady :(

I think that about covers the areas I haven't beaten, although there could easily be more than I don't know about.

OH yea! Never been to Ash lake, but I did get the items in the hidden area that leads to it.

Each time I've started over I get back to where I was faster than the time before... and have enjoyed the time leading up to where i've been stuck more than previous playthroughs. It is truly a great feeling waltzing through areas like you own the place! ^_^

My only question that i have yet to answer is: What build will I play when i start over again? Or, will I actually continue one of my prior playthroughs? hmmmmmm

I don't even own Dark Souls 2 or 3, but will likely get one if I ever beat this game!

My only question that i have yet to answer is: What build will I play when i start over again? Or, will I actually continue one of my prior playthroughs?

If you're just looking to move forward in the easiest manner possible, one of the best ways to go about that is via a STR build and the Man-Serpent Greatsword. Stick with boosting your STR, VIT, and END.
For a STR weapon it's quick and has a moveset with a pretty low learning curve. It also doesn't weight all that much. Just keep killing the Man-Serpents at the entrance to Sen's Fortress until it drops.
The biggest thing to remember is not to get greedy with your hits. It hits hard and quick, so just do 1-2 swipes at a time. DEX weapons are neat, but (at least to me) can be more challenging because they focus on multi-hits and stun locking rather than just 1-2 big shots. With bosses, that's tougher to me.

Should I play DS2 before I play DS3? I've never played any DS before.

I'd play them in order if you can. 1-2-3. With #1 you'll want to install "DSFix" to allow for higher resolutions and framerates, but 2 and 3 are fine out of the box.

I'm downloading DS2 Sins right now because it was 75% off on Steam. Never played DS1 but I do have Demon Souls on PS3.

DS2 is a really great game but it's not Dark Souls. It loses quite a bit of what made Dark Souls great. Dark Souls had a interconnected world, whereas DS2 is more just a bunch of large levels put together. Now the DLC is really great that's probably the best parts of this game. The rest is really solid but not as good as DS1.

2 is a massive game that borders on being epic with the Scholar of the First Sin add-ons. Jiminator's right about it just being a bunch of levels, though. Some areas link up, but not many. #1 had such great level design and #2 more or less abandoned the idea of everything being one map. 3's a hybrid of the two, although the graphics are stunning by comparison. It's a full generation newer after all.

I still tell everyone to play 'em all if you can. 1's probably the best one, but it's also pretty rough around the edges. Lots of tedious stuff, lots of glitches, so-so graphics, and it's the hardest of the bunch, too. 2 and 3 excel in different areas. 2's bigger and leaves you with more to do, but the level design is kind of weak.

I actually like Dark Souls 2 over Dark Souls Blood Borne and Dark Souls 3

Just a great layout and atmosphere for the game everything all the maps seemed connected in a good way.

Should I play DS2 before I play DS3? I've never played any DS before.
You don't have to play 2 at all. I could never get into 2. The furthest I got was the second major area. There was just something about it that didn't have that magic that the first game did. Sure, it was pretty and the mechanics were solid, but I don't know. Dark Souls 3 grabbed me by the balls right away just like the first game, though. In my opinion I would skip 2 and jump straight to 3. Could have been due to the series creator, Hidetaka Miyazaki, having no part in the creation of the second game. No one does a Souls game like Miyazaki.

You don't have to play 2 at all. I could never get into 2. The furthest I got was the second major area. There was just something about it that didn't have that magic that the first game did. Sure, it was pretty and the mechanics were solid, but I don't know. Dark Souls 3 grabbed me by the balls right away just like the first game, though. In my opinion I would skip 2 and jump straight to 3. Could have been due to the series creator, Hidetaka Miyazaki, having no part in the creation of the second game. No one does a Souls game like Miyazaki.
I love Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3. I liked Dark Souls 2. My experience is similar to yours, except I played, beat, and enjoyed 2.

although he was not directly involved in #2, some suspect he was involved with the DLC. The DLC for #2 is phenomenal and you are missing out. :)

The DLC for Dark Souls 2 is up with with the best elements of DS1. They're also somewhat disconnected, but much of that relates to people being able to buy 1 without getting the other two. There are 3 DLC areas in DS2 and each of them is well constructed with lots of secrets and super-super tough enemies.
IMO, the Scholar of the First Sin version of DS2 isn't as good as the normal game with the 3 DLC's. The minor tweaks changed the pacing for the whole game. Those things don't really affect the later portions of the game, but the game is artificially tough early.

SotFS does change things a LOT in NG+. But regular game, the results of defeating the new boss,,,, are very underwhelming.

Dark Souls 'Rekindled Edition' mod

First launched earlier this year, the mod's most recent 2.2 update—Dark Souls Gameplay Rebalance—includes eight new classes and makes multiple tweaks across hundreds of weapons, armour, items, spells, rings, enemies and much more...moving forward, LordofSandvich wants to continue adding to the above while also changing certain weapon movesets or adding new ones entirely...

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1239/?

Dark Souls 'Rekindled Edition' mod

First launched earlier this year, the mod's most recent 2.2 update—Dark Souls Gameplay Rebalance—includes eight new classes and makes multiple tweaks across hundreds of weapons, armour, items, spells, rings, enemies and much more...moving forward, LordofSandvich wants to continue adding to the above while also changing certain weapon movesets or adding new ones entirely...

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1239/?
Not sure how I feel about this... DS1 is what it is, flaws and all.

Even if I don't care for the mod's changes, the idea is pretty cool. Reinvent an older game.

Remaster incoming. 4k support. 60fps support. 1-6 players online instead of 1-4. DLC included. Unclear if there are any major graphical changes.

Also coming to consoles, including Switch.

Remaster incoming. 4k support. 60fps support. 1-6 players online instead of 1-4. DLC included. Unclear if there are any major graphical changes.

Rumor is that the remaster is running on the Dark Souls 3 engine.

Can’t wait for that 10 FPS Blighttown fun again! :p

After hundreds of hours over multiple characters i've still not beaten this! But boy do i love it nevertheless. Stoked!

After hundreds of hours over multiple characters i've still not beaten this! But boy do i love it nevertheless. Stoked!

I actually only beat DS1 once twice now that I think of it. DS3 I beat around 10 times, kept playing it last year. DS2 I never got around to beating since when it came out I was burned out of games and really didn't play anything in 2014.

Yeah I really should finish DS1. I finished both 2 and 3 but I never finished 1 either. I got stuck somewhere and just rage quit. When I finally wanted to play I already bought DS2 so I finished that then DS3 came out and never had the urge to go finish 1.

HELL YEAH!...fantastic news!...the remaster is coming out on May 25, 2018!...I guess DSFix will no longer be necessary...I knew From Software wouldn't let a year go by without a 'new' Souls release...I just finished a Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Son playthough and was going to replay the first game...now I'll wait for the remaster

EDIT: just read that the game will be using dedicated servers rather then peer-to-peer...here are the resolutions for the various platforms the game is releasing on:
  • Xbox One (1080p, 60 fps)
  • PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 fps)
  • Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
  • PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
  • PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 fps)
  • Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 fps; Handheld mode: 720p 30 fps)

I'm in for the remaster. While DSfix goes a long way, it's not quite perfect. Plus, DS1 looks pretty dated after playing DS3 and Bloodborne. I feel it's the best game in the series, but it's definitely last-gen. I expect the remaster to be at least a little different, but as long as the spirit is there I'll be happy.

It'll be interesting to see if they make major tweaks or additions (a la Scholar of the First Sin) or if they're trying to simply make the game look better. Considering the old one is still available, I wouldn't mind some fun tweaks.

only thing better then a Dark Souls remaster would be if From Software announced a Demon's Souls remaster (along with a PC release)
I don't think that would happen since Sony owns the rights to Demon Souls in Japan. Atlus and Bandai Namco published it elsewhere.

Back