Dark Souls is on Steam

That's one thing that kinda pissed me off. Beat the game, then found out you have to do a bunch of stuff to access the DLC. So if I want to play it, have to go through half the game again?

That's one thing that kinda pissed me off. Beat the game, then found out you have to do a bunch of stuff to access the DLC. So if I want to play it, have to go through half the game again?

if you beat the game (meaning you beat Gwyn) then there's no way of going back...that's one of the few things I liked better about Dark Souls 2...you can beat the game and still go back (in the Majula bonfire you can select NG+)

More like 3/4 of the game. It's certainly not like FROM cares about keeping players out of tougher areas before they're ready either. Just look at where they start you.
I missed all of the DLC stuff on my first pass.

if you beat the game (meaning you beat Gwyn) then there's no way of going back...that's one of the few things I liked better about Dark Souls 2...you can beat the game and still go back (in the Majula bonfire you can select NG+)

Yea I did, that's what sucks. Read a guide after I beat the game. Have way too many backlogged games to replay all that just to access the DLC.

More like 3/4 of the game. It's certainly not like FROM cares about keeping players out of tougher areas before they're ready either. Just look at where they start you.
I missed all of the DLC stuff on my first pass.

Don't even know how you'd do it without a guide. The things necessary to access it and find it seemed like they'd be pretty hard to discover on your own unless you live and breathe Souls.

Don't even know how you'd do it without a guide. The things necessary to access it and find it seemed like they'd be pretty hard to discover on your own unless you live and breathe Souls.

yeah that golem you need to kill is hidden around the corner from that waterfall and is hard to see...plus you need to kill the golem in Duke's Archive as well...I used a guide to find out how to access the DLC the first time and can see how it would be difficult to find on your own

I found out about the DLC after I'd already won the game. I'd scanned the IGN walkthrough which didn't mention it since it pre-dated the DLC additions.
I completed it on NG+ and found it to be a total bear compared to the rest of the game. I should be back there this weekend on my first pass, so I guess I'll see how I do.

If you read the description of the Broken Pendant, it says "The vine appears to originate from Oolacile." This hint should be obvious if you have ever freed Dusk in the Darkroot Basin before. She is the only character with direct references from Oolacile, and her corpse appears right next to where the portal to Sanctuary spawns.

So I managed to kill Artorias on the 3rd try going through the game on the first pass. This is after dying against him literally about 100 times in my previous NG+ run. I was rocking stock Elite Knight Armor, Havel's Shield, and a +15 Great Club. I think I only had to hit him maybe 5 times as well.
I really, really thing NG+ makes HUGE difference with the DLC area difficulties. I have to say I'm pretty confident about killing Kalameet now. Once I max out my Elite Knight gear, I should be pretty tough to kill, too.
I'm still trying to find a shield I really like. Right now I'm swapping between the Grass Crest, Eagle, and Havel's, but and not particularly attached to any of 'em.

I'm still trying to find a shield I really like. Right now I'm swapping between the Grass Crest, Eagle, and Havel's, but and not particularly attached to any of 'em.

Silver Knight Shield +5 is what I use for most of the game (with the occasional swap-out to the Crest Shield for magic based enemies)...had to farm a bit at Anor Londo (while also wearing the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring) to get them to drop

So I managed to kill Artorias on the 3rd try going through the game on the first pass. This is after dying against him literally about 100 times in my previous NG+ run. I was rocking stock Elite Knight Armor, Havel's Shield, and a +15 Great Club. I think I only had to hit him maybe 5 times as well.
I really, really thing NG+ makes HUGE difference with the DLC area difficulties. I have to say I'm pretty confident about killing Kalameet now. Once I max out my Elite Knight gear, I should be pretty tough to kill, too.
I think the Elite Knight is a good leveling armor, but it isn't very protective against anything but physical damage. The bosses who cause physical damage mainly are going to kill or come close to killing you if you get hit, anyway, so I would focus more on protecting against the elements. The Brass Armor set is pretty good. If you're willing to give a ring slot to the Wolf Ring you can find better secondary protection from armor that doesn't give poise, like the Dingy or Gold Hemmed set. Life can become very difficult with no poise against regular enemies.

Silver Knight Shield +5, as polonyc2 says above, is a damn good shield with solid secondary resistances. It also has the highest stability of all the medium shields in the game (73 at +5, IIRC, which can compete with some of the great shields). I would personally stick with a medium shield because you need to stay mobile in NG+ and beyond, but they still are strong enough to tank a hit when you need to. I also parry a lot, and you can't do that with a great shield. Frankly, I would rather invest in Green Blossom than use the Grass Crest Shield since it's fairly weak beyond its stamina regen enchantment. But GCS is still a good choice to wear on your back if you're going 2-handed.

Kalameet is dead. In fact, I killed him about a dozen times (I kept a back-up save) trying to cut his tail off. I never could pull it off even after stretching that fight into a 15 minute ordeal a few times.
No clue why I had so much trouble with him before, but unless he changes in NG+, you can block everything he does (and take almost no damage) except one attack, which is easily avoided.
I killed him the first time on the 2nd try and found I could really beat him whenever I felt like it in subsequent fights.
I ended up just boosting the Eagle Sheild to +15 along with all of my Elite Knight gear. Have been lucky enough to get 2 random slab drop in addition to the 3 normal in-game slabs, so I have 5 items at +15.
If I get another I'll probably boost my Compound Bow or maybe a Zweihander because I like how it looks.
On to Manus. I think after he's dead I'll call it quits and maybe pick up NG+ down the line.

Last month, a player on Twitch streamed his no-hit run of the first Dark Souls game- but series director Hidetaka Miyazaki is chalking that playthrough up to an "elaborate rumor."..."I don't believe the player who says he completed the original Dark Souls without taking a hit," Miyazaki told Wired UK in an interview...While he conceded that it would be an "amazing" feat, he has trouble seeing its plausibility...

Dark Souls' director 'doesn't believe' player who beat the game without taking a hit

Last month, a player on Twitch streamed his no-hit run of the first Dark Souls game- but series director Hidetaka Miyazaki is chalking that playthrough up to an "elaborate rumor."..."I don't believe the player who says he completed the original Dark Souls without taking a hit," Miyazaki told Wired UK in an interview...While he conceded that it would be an "amazing" feat, he has trouble seeing its plausibility...

Dark Souls' director 'doesn't believe' player who beat the game without taking a hit
Archive because Polygon.

He does know that there is a recording of the stream, right? Unless he thinks that there is some conspiracy where clips were edited together and played back live? Maybe he's one of those "I didn't see it, and it's not real so long as I don't see it" type of people...

Got through Manus pretty easily (3rd try) and actually fired up my old NG+ save to see if Kalameet really is that hard...and he isn't. I killed him on the first try.
I think I just got spooked or something before. You can literally block everything he does with a decent shield and there are plenty of times where you can just attack him at random with no risk.
No more Dark Souls 1 for me. I think I'll just re-play Uncharted 2 and play more Street Fighter 5 while waiting for DS3 to hit.

Archive because Polygon.

He does know that there is a recording of the stream, right? Unless he thinks that there is some conspiracy where clips were edited together and played back live? Maybe he's one of those "I didn't see it, and it's not real so long as I don't see it" type of people...
He was probably expressing disbelief more than really stating that he actually disbelieved it. He also probably can't imagine how hardcore some of these people are - or how capable they are at cheesing the game.

He was probably expressing disbelief more than really stating that he actually disbelieved it. He also probably can't imagine how hardcore some of these people are - or how capable they are at cheesing the game.
True, probably lost in translation.

I think getting through Four Kings without getting hit once would be a tall order...I want to see that video

I think getting through Four Kings without getting hit once would be a tall order...I want to see that video
The only thing that would be hard about that is avoiding their projectile attack. You waste a lot of time rolling around, waiting for it to disappear, which gives a chance for more kings to spawn. Just go in with enough Green Blossom on you to last the fight (2-4, depending on your loadout solo at SL 80).

The swordsmiths at Baltimore Knife and Sword recreated the Greatsword of Artorias in painstaking detail and at full scale...

big dark souls news coming out tomorrow, nobody knows what it is...

Bandai Namco UK on Twitter

I'd be ecstatic if they re-released DS1 as a remaster, like flew all the DS1 assets into the engine as it exists in DS3. Because I reinstalled Windows 8.1 clean and lost all my DS1 settings (DSFix etc) and .ini customizations, and too lazy to re-do them.

Ugh, clothing. Seriously is there another game more deserving of a remaster than PC Dark Souls 1? (okay I'm sure there is, but humor me).

Not that I had too many issues running it with DSFix at 60FPS, but I know its possible to fall through floors or experience weird anomalies with ladders, since framerate is tied to the engine's physics.

Maybe once DS3 is out the publisher will realize they can re-milk the whole thing with a trilogy pack release.

I wonder if Dana White works for FROM. They apparently have the same concept of what constitutes "big news."

On the remake front, I would like to see a re-released version of the the first game with the DSfix stuff incorporated (and bug fixed). Beyond issues with jump distance, parry timing, and ladders - all of the UI sizing tweaks are buggy at best and broken at worst.
I'd give 'em $15 just for taking the time. I don't see it happening outside of a "Dark Souls Trilogy Pack" or something like that...but I think that would be just as badass.

I wonder if Dana White works for FROM. They apparently have the same concept of what constitutes "big news."

the clothing line is from Bandai the publisher not From Software (the developer)...as far as a remake I want to see a Demon's Souls remaster...even if it's a PS4 exclusive I'll be fine with it...that's the only Souls game I've never played

On the remake front, I would like to see a re-released version of the the first game with the DSfix stuff incorporated (and bug fixed). Beyond issues with jump distance, parry timing, and ladders - all of the UI sizing tweaks are buggy at best and broken at worst.
I'd give 'em $15 just for taking the time. I don't see it happening outside of a "Dark Souls Trilogy Pack" or something like that...but I think that would be just as badass.

"I was just about to say that" :) I think the best shot we have on PC as far as a remastered DS1, is if the publisher decides to do it for PS4/Xbone at the same time. Because that's the only way it becomes financially interesting to them.

the clothing line is from Bandai the publisher not From Software (the developer)...as far as a remake I want to see a Demon's Souls remaster...even if it's a PS4 exclusive I'll be fine with it...that's the only Souls game I've never played

Amen!

I've never played Demon's Souls either. I still have a PS3 (somewhere in a closet) so I suppose I should hunt down a copy at some point.

EDIT: Just ordered a used copy from Gamestop using a gift card that has been gathering dust. It might be months before I get around to it, but I'll have to give it a go at some point.

Last edited:
I've never played Demon's Souls either. I still have a PS3 (somewhere in a closet) so I suppose I should hunt down a copy at some point.

EDIT: Just ordered a used copy from Gamestop using a gift card that has been gathering dust. It might be months before I get around to it, but I'll have to give it a go at some point.

I think I grabbed it on sale $5 on the PS online store, but it's fucking brutal, and not in a good way. It's the epitome of banging your head against a wall, and I absolutely love DS1/DS2/Bloodborne. I think a lot of people that love Demon's Souls do so through nostalgia glasses, because before DS1 and others existed, Demon's Souls was the shit. But if you've played DS1/DS2/Bloodborne first and then go back and play Demon's Souls, all the refinements that came later will be glaringly absent.

There's good-frustrating and bad/awful/waste-of-time frustrating. Unfortunately Demon's Souls has been the latter, but I probably just need more time with it.

eh, I did not find demon souls that hard. You can get an awesome sword in the beginning 4-1 I think, and a regenerating shield if you manage to go a bit deeper in. there also are lots of ways to game the system, farming different grass (like estus), also an item duplication hack.

anyway I would love to see it on PC. A lot of the mood and things in DaS were originally done in DeS

for the clothing line, the implementation is just stupid. they don't use the graphics from the game making there little relationship.

Off topic, but Lichdom: Battlemage is very Darrk Souls-esque and in a BundleStars bundle for with 9 other games for $1.99. I guess since it launched on XBOX One today, the developers are doing this as a promotion. You get better gear the longer you can progress without dying. Play it in that manner and it's a good Indie attempt at Dark Souls.
Bundle Stars: {{ seo.title }}

Last edited:
Decided to replay using KB/M and WHEW!

Def upped the difficulty like nobody's business.

So, My DarkSouls PTDE keeps crashing on startup. I REALLY want to play this game, but it simply wont run.

Rig in Sig running windows 10.

I tired:

Running in compatibility mode for ALL version of Windows.

Deleting the intro movies

Fresh installation of DS

Verifying cache

Installing DSFix

Uninstalling DSFix

Back