Dark Souls is on Steam

Have any of you ever used a trainer or cheats with this game?

I'm wondering if there's a way I can give myself a spell and resume playing my character with which I've progressed the furthest. I've been hankering to get back into this game, but the though of starting over is just daunting.

Yeah I have for PVP.

I wanted a level 10, 50, 100, and 120 character for PVP and didn't want to grind that shit out.

I don't remember which one I used.

I've never used it, I just know I saw something like it on the nexus a while back.
I'm interested in knowing if it works though... It doesn't appear to have been updated in a very long time.

Thanks LeviathanZERO, I'm definitely going to try this out... Perhaps even tonight after I get some work done.

If this can really give me that spell I mistakenly turned down (I see spell slots in the screens!!!)... this is a very exciting time.

I would guess that unless Microsoft forces anyones hand by completly killing off GFWL a lot of the games like this one will continue to use it. At this point there is no benefit for them to use the resources to move the game to Steamworks when they could be using those resources to work on somthing that will be making them money.

Last edited:
I would guess that unless Microsoft forces anyones had by completly killing off GFWL a lot of the games like this one will continue to use it. At this point there is no benefit for them to use the resources to move the game to Steamworks when they could be using those resources to work on somthing that will be making them money.

GFWL was killed off the moment MS shut down the marketplace; now all they're doing is keeping the authentication servers on as a cheap way to avoid any more negative publicity at a time they're already hurting from it. The downside no doubt is it lets some developers kick the can down the road and do nothing for another quarter.

On the other hand if they wait until the last second to patch to Steamworks they'll be dealing with some unhappy customers. Its a calculated risk. Gearbox for example chose to avoid such a situation by finally patching Borderlands 1 to Steamworks a few weeks ago.

nice find!...can only mean that GFWL will be history very soon...I'm thinking it'll most likely erase all my saved characters but that's fine as long as the game is on Steamworks

Also okay by me. It'll finally give me a reason to start over ^_^

I bet you'll be able to salvage your characters. Both DS games use a pretty simplistic saving system, hence all of the shenanigans online.
Even games notorious for killing your saves like Batman and GTA4 have ways of backing up your saves, although there are several step required to get 'em running again.

mmmmmmy......372 hour save......
Who cares?

Will online start to actually work after GFWL is gone, is the real question.
I will play again. Oh yes, I will play again...

This was just posted on the Dark Souls facebook:

Attention Dark Souls fans!

We're pleased to announce that next month it will be possible for players to migrate their Dark Souls: Prepare to Die games, saves and achievements from the Games for Windows Live platform to Steam.

-Games for Windows Live users will be able to redeem their Games for Windows Live Tokens on Steam to get Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost. (To find your Games for Windows Live Token, please head to the support webpage)

-In the month of November, there will be a period by which Games for Windows Live Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition users will be able to transfer their Save Data (characters + progress) and Achievements over to their Steam accounts.

-Players will still be able to use their Games for Windows Live Tokens to redeem the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost even after the migration period ends; but game Save Data and Achievements transfer functions may not be available.

-Games for Windows Live Rankings will not be transferred to Steam.
The specific migration start and end dates will be available soon; however the migration period will begin sometime in November 2014 with more specific dates to come.

We will be sharing more information soon regarding the migration process soon, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Praise the Sun!!

Hell yes!

Maybe the online community won't feel so dead with gfwl gone.

commission__praise_the_sun_god__by_demens_alma-d70rdnd.jpg

Halle-fucking-lujah.

The last holdout. Now Microsoft can turn the servers off for all anyone cares, because Borderlands 1 and Dark Souls 1 are finally off yet another one of their half assed and ultimately abandoned projects.

why is there only a limited window of time for players to transfer over their saves and achievements?

I would guess there will be requirements to set up a server, pull the gfwl save data, convert the files and then send them back

I honestly think the only real issue will be the achievements. In both DS1 and DS2, you can copy and paste saves, characters, etc. as willy nilly as you feel like.

why is there only a limited window of time for players to transfer over their saves and achievements?

It's probably bc they have to pay to keep all that data on the GFWL servers. At some point they have to consolidate their stuff as it won't make sense to keep it on a server they aren't even using.

There should be an achievement for getting past the &*%# archers in Anor Londo without dying. Or at least without smashing your controller.

There should be an achievement for getting past the &*%# archers in Anor Londo without dying. Or at least without smashing your controller.

That one achievement "This is Dark Souls", in DS2....
This is where that should have been

I will finally play this. I've been waiting because I was concerned about the portability of the game progress since the Arkham Asylum games didn't transfer many of the achievements. Sounds like the DS game transfer will be fairly thorough but I'll still wait for the conversion.

looking forward to building a new character and playing from scratch with a new build once this ports over to Steamworks...after playing Dark Souls 2 and all the DLC so much recently it'll be nice to go back to what I feel is the better overall game...I haven't played DS1 in 6+ months so I'm itching to go back

I wonder if the patch to add steamworks will also address the horrible PC interface ?

they wouldn't do the Steamworks switchover during Thanksgiving week would they?...has to be next week

So in anticipation of the steam switch-over I've started a new character. So far I've got 24 Str and 24 Dex. I'm not planning on any casting, so my int/faith/attunement is all sub 10.

So far I've been mainly using the regular Spear, which actually surprised me as to its usefulness.

However, it doesn't have a moveset that varies enough for my liking. I've tried the Pike and the Halberd too. The pike's power attack seems weird and hard to land, and the halberd's power attack while having good range and coverage seems too slow to get off reliably.

What are some other weapon options for a hybrid build? What are you opinions on the halberd and/or pike?

I'd also like a nice sword that's faster than the Zweihander but still big and awesome. Any recommendations in this regard?

Back