Dark Souls is on Steam

Black Knight Sword +5 is a tough melee weapon to top. It seems to have it all, range, massive damage, knock back ability .I try other weapons, but really only out of curiosity, because the Black Knight Sword is, as is said in UT, unstoppable!

I'd say the Claymore is the most versatile weapon in the game but the Zweihander is my personal fav. Golem Axe is also up there with that awesome R2 windball attack.

Plus, you can scale that chaos damage with 10 humanity.
Will the increases be shown in your stats? I find it very confusing to read how the scaling works with the weapons, nothing is clear.

Try out the Man-serpent Greatsword if you have a strength based build.

Got it to +9 and hit a wall.
I need a titanite slab.... I 've not come across that all game. I assume I have not reached an area with those yet.

(EDIT: not this sword, it was the lightning spear. I got the man serp sword to +10 already, lightning spear needs a slab to get to +5)

Last edited:
Will the increases be shown in your stats? I find it very confusing to read how the scaling works with the weapons, nothing is clear

for scaling you need to look at the weapon stats screen (or even better go online at look at the Dark Soul weapon wikis)...S A B C D E with S being the best...choose weapons based on the type of build you have...for example one of my favorite weapons, the Great Scythe, scales to an E with Strength and an A with Dexterity...so it's best for DEX builds...so more damage points with that weapon the more you put into your DEX stat

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/great-scythe

the increased damage is shown in your weapon screen in parenthesis...so base damage 125 (+250)

The extra damage on Quelaag's should show in your character screen when you have humanity. It caps out when you're at +10 humanity. It's not major damage, but makes a pretty good all-around weapon even better.

you can experiment with stats here => http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

example,
cestus +15 lightning 330
cestus +15 fire 316
cestus +15 chaos @ 0 humanity 282
cestus +15 chaos @ 1 humanity 297 (+15, +5 for each point after)
cestus +15 chaos @ 10 humanity 341

note, chaos does less physical and more fire damage than fire weapons, so they will be better for enemies weak to fire

Crap i missed the flash sale, bought too many other things. I may pick this up at the still 50% off price of $14.99.

I'd wait. It'll probably be on sale again. If it's not, snag it on the last day of the sale at 50% off.

Oh damn that sale ended quickly. How long do flash sales last?

Everyone says this game is the tits. Was just watching youtube videos of it, and while it looks fun the menus are awful.

I see that there are quite a few mods for this game... Does anyone want to share their modlist?

oh, also--some youtube comments were saying that the mouse+keyboard controls suck. Is this true? All i have is a logitech controller.

Oh damn that sale ended quickly. How long do flash sales last?

Everyone says this game is the tits. Was just watching youtube videos of it, and while it looks fun the menus are awful.

I see that there are quite a few mods for this game... Does anyone want to share their modlist?

oh, also--some youtube comments were saying that the mouse+keyboard controls suck. Is this true? All i have is a logitech controller.

I couldn't use keyboard and mouse at all but it worked great with an Xbox360 controller.

only mods I used were the graphics mod so I could use high res eyefinity and multiplayer mod to allow for better connectivity.

this game is the mad tits.....My favorite game of all time and I have been gaming since the 1616 AD. Its kind of like Fallout 3 but with a more in-depth combat system ,less words, deeper rpg elements, amazing difficulty, outstanding artwork, and multiplayer......and a new concept of invading other peoples games to fuck their face holes....and also getting forcefully invaded in the face.

You remember playing old school games like megaman that were hard but in a fun way...it has that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys--so neither of you use a UI mod? Maybe they just looked worse than they are.

Thanks for the feedback guys--so neither of you use a UI mod? Maybe they just looked worse than they are.

No the UI is pretty bad but you get used to it. This game is so good that despite being a poorly done console port it is still mind blowing.....I seriously almost didn't play it because it was a port...and now its altered my life.

It's still 50% off, but it may be 75% off again on the last day. Still, $15 bucks is a steal for this game.

Also as a followup to my previous lost save post.. I'm such a packrat, I found a recent save for the game that I backed up a few months ago. So, I've only lost about 4 hours of dicking around the beginning of the DLC area. Woot!

I have gotten so much enjoyment from this game that it is a no-brainer at any cost. Get it, play it NOW. It is one of those games you will put hundreds of hours into, the the $15 is a great deal, no need to wait for more.

according to Steam stats I've put 741 hours into Dark Souls...more then double the 2nd most played game in my Steam library which is Skyrim at 294 hours...yes I love Dark Souls that much despite its flaws...it's not the perfect game but it's one of my favorite games ever despite having to install mods (Dsfix) and having to use creative keyboard mapping...a lesser game would have been crushed by its flaws but the gameplay and immersion of Dark Souls is second to none

right up there with Morrowind, Deus Ex, Half Life etc

according to Steam stats I've put 741 hours into Dark Souls...more then double the 2nd most played game in my Steam library which is Skyrim at 294 hours...yes I love Dark Souls that much despite its flaws...it's not the perfect game but it's one of my favorite games ever despite having to install mods (Dsfix) and having to use creative keyboard mapping...a lesser game would have been crushed by its flaws but the gameplay and immersion of Dark Souls is second to none

right up there with Morrowind, Deus Ex, Half Life etc

why not just use a game pad? they are inexpensive and the game was designed to use one from the ground up.

I actually prefer m/kb now. I was seeing a lot of high level PVP'ers making the switch, too.

The backstab mechanic was driving me crazy in Dark Souls PVP... I keep getting face-stabbed because other players have lousy internet connections. PVP should have to duke it out without any criticals, and the Artorias and Cleansing shields should block PVP build-up effects and not just PVE enemies effects (bleeding, poison, toxin)

lagstab is kind of a noob tactic. It works if you know how to exploit it, but high level PVP is much more fun without it.

why not just use a game pad? they are inexpensive and the game was designed to use one from the ground up.

I have an Xbox controller but I hate using it for anything besides racing games...it doesn't feel natural to me...the buttons don't feel the same as when using a KB/M...everything just feels more precise...yes Dark Souls was most definitely designed to use a controller but that doesn't mean that you can't get it to work just as good with a KB/M...like I said you just need to employ some creative keyboard re-mapping...only thing that sucks is that some action keys cannot be remapped and you can't use all keyboard buttons

It still has GFWL though. Isn't that going to stop at some point? I can see issues with that.

Looking forward to this awesome game and see what the hype is all about.

Speaking of mods...Anyone care to share their favorite mods?

Looking forward to this awesome game and see what the hype is all about.

Speaking of mods...Anyone care to share their favorite mods?

The nexus is the place.
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/?tb=mod&pUp=1

There appears to be alot more things than the last time I went there...
I dont have any mods other than the rez and multiplayer fixes. Oh and a launcher that edits DSfix for me. Found that on the Nexus too.

EDIT:That HD texture pack looks boss, it was just added this week, somebody check that out!

there are three fixes that are typically used. dsfix, dsmfix and dscfix (I think).
dsfix allows for a bunch of graphics and ui changes
dsmfix you only need if you are going to do kb/m
dscfix is for fast connections to your gfwl friends so you can coop with them

install dsfix for now, it is fairly simple. adding the other two requires 'chaining' them together in the ini files

I was wondering around Undead Burg as a soul level 10 knight and got invaded. The invader dropped off a complete +10 Elite Knight armor set and a Chaos Longsword for me to pick up before they killed me. Dark Souls is always interesting. At that point the best I had was a pointy stick to defend myself :p

EDIT:That HD texture pack looks boss, it was just added this week, somebody check that out!

the guy made a video showcasing his texture pack...looks good but I'm not sure about his claim of 2-4 times as good as the original textures...might give it a whirl after reading more reviews on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUm4hUOS4Dg

the only must-have mod for me is DSfix...I've never wanted to use any of the other mods

This game can be so frustrating, dying 100's of times; but so rewarding when advances are made. After roughly 20 hours of solo gameplay as a deprived, finally made it to the 3rd bonfire (skipped red dragon one).

I got lucky and kicked a black knight's butt and took his Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. I've been smacking invaders around with 600+ physical damage hits + knockdown. Bosses don't know what's been hitting them either. I one shotted a Royal sentinel doing a drop attack for 2500 damage. Almost one shotted a titanite demon at sen's fortress that way too. I love this sword.

Whenever I invade someone I make sure I have a hundred thousand or so souls and bow before the fight. If they bow and fight honorably and if they are losing to me, I'll bow and let them get the kill. I don't lose anything and they get a lot of souls out of the invasion.

Screenies:

http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-05-23-85.png
http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-06-05-05.png

Stats:

http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-08-55-60.png

Last edited:
I recently beat the black knight boss in the church near the 3rd campfire, he dropped a great axe, its funny watching my toon try to swing it, at 17 str, way too weak.

I got lucky and kicked a black knight's butt and took his Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. I've been smacking invaders around with 600+ physical damage hits + knockdown. Bosses don't know what's been hitting them either. I one shotted a Royal sentinel doing a drop attack for 2500 damage. Almost one shotted a titanite demon at sen's fortress that way too. I love this sword.

Whenever I invade someone I make sure I have a hundred thousand or so souls and bow before the fight. If they bow and fight honorably and if they are losing to me, I'll bow and let them get the kill. I don't lose anything and they get a lot of souls out of the invasion.

Screenies:

http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-05-23-85.png
http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-06-05-05.png

Stats:

http://bitjumble.com/files/games/dark_souls/DATA 2013-07-21 20-08-55-60.png

I want that sword.

I recently beat the black knight boss in the church near the 3rd campfire, he dropped a great axe, its funny watching my toon try to swing it, at 17 str, way too weak.

That axe is easily on par with the BK GreatSword, spec into it as soon as you can. I usually rush for 50 strength to equip Havel's greatshield + some of his armor. With those items I can tank Manus and Kalameet.

Back