Dark Souls is on Steam

I had to change both....

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 5760
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 5760
presentHeight 1080

Now its working and I am loving it.

I bought it at launch and it was fine. PC people were just expecting a little more PC centric TLC. Out of the gate it was as good as or better than the PS3 version that I played.

Mother of God this game is too good. There is just SO MUCH game in here that I'm having trouble going to work.

Getting surround working + the new co-op fix is just sugar on top of something already sweet.

Just hit level 90 and 65 hours.....Pretty sure I'm right at the end.....of the first play through as there will be many play through.

I wish I could of paid full price for this game. I feel like I'm robbing someone for getting for only 15.

I hope Dark Souls 2 is even harder and more brutal...though they tend to make games easier not harder to appeal to the stupids.

Mother of God this game is too good. There is just SO MUCH game in here that I'm having trouble going to work.

Getting surround working + the new co-op fix is just sugar on top of something already sweet.

Just hit level 90 and 65 hours.....Pretty sure I'm right at the end.....of the first play through as there will be many play through.

I wish I could of paid full price for this game. I feel like I'm robbing someone for getting for only 15.

I hope Dark Souls 2 is even harder and more brutal...though they tend to make games easier not harder to appeal to the stupids.

Man, I almost popped a brain vessel last night.
I got this recently and spent an hour or 2 trying to get past the huge Boar when you arrive at Undead Parish. I finally figured out how to get past him, had almost 4000 souls and 2 humanity, then all of a sudden my game was invaded by a Chaotic Evil person.

I had no idea the game did this, and that fucker ruined my progress and just disappeared after our battle. I was so pissed, tried going through it again, but couldn't focus on beating the huge sword guys(cause I was still pissed), so I went to bed.

But you know what?
I want some more.

What has this game done to me? This is like stockholm syndrome lol

Damn right. You'll learn that the punishment only make you better (once rage wears off). Then, once you've hit a certain point, it becomes effortless.

Man, I almost popped a brain vessel last night.
I got this recently and spent an hour or 2 trying to get past the huge Boar when you arrive at Undead Parish. I finally figured out how to get past him, had almost 4000 souls and 2 humanity, then all of a sudden my game was invaded by a Chaotic Evil person.

I had no idea the game did this, and that fucker ruined my progress and just disappeared after our battle. I was so pissed, tried going through it again, but couldn't focus on beating the huge sword guys(cause I was still pissed), so I went to bed.

But you know what?
I want some more.

What has this game done to me? This is like stockholm syndrome lol

Invaders is probably the coolest game feature I have ever witnessed. I love when a invader invades when I'm co-op'ing and gets killed because he wasn't expecting 2 peeps.

But the RAAGE!!!
Oh man, that was so left field. I was not ready for that.
Is there any other randomness I should be aware of? This game is just full of surprises. Surprises that kill you.
Oh yeah, I also killed the vendor, by accident (I was just swinging at boxes!). At least I got his Uchigatana (which is totally dope), but now I can't buy anything! :( I hope another one pops up soon, I need to repair things!

7IlSWeZ.png

Downed Bed of Chaos and Gravelord Nito on SL1 today. Feel like a total badass! :p
Bed of Chaos was harder for me because I was always used to just taking the hits and I didn't know about the jumps in the second stage.

Also what! ^ :(

The multiplayer mod for Dark Souls seems to work wonderfully! Co-op was really the selling point to me

Bed of Chaos was definitely the enemy that made me rage the most...mainly because it takes so damn long to get back to him and he can kill you so quickly. In a few instances the game glitched (or so I assume?) and he killed me with fire before the battle even started and before I could heal or move.

I think BoC and those damned Prowling Demons were the enemies I hated most. Those are the ones where one pixel seemed to make the difference between taking 1/8 of your lifebar and instant death.

I guess I should try this game, huh? :p

Thought about getting it for the GF but it might be too hard for her. She plays Skyrim mostly on Normal/Hard difficulty and that is usually about right for her. If the co-op mod is really legit maybe I'll get two copies so we can try it out.

Well worth it. I really don't understand why people are gushing about Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite then completely ignore a game like this. Easily the best game of 2012.

Well worth it. I really don't understand why people are gushing about Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite then completely ignore a game like this. Easily the best game of 2012.

doc told me to stay off the multivitamin because of my heart palpitations. Not yet ready to see what my nervous system can take. :D

Dark Souls is one of the best games I've ever played...definitely the hardest/most challenging...takes some time getting used to the mechanics, gameplay and environment but once that moment kicks in you'll be totally hooked

Every time I play Dark Souls I think to myself - why can't Skyrim use the same combat system. Would make Skyrim so much better. Even simple things like having to stand still and play an animation to drink a potion would have huge impacts on the difficulty of the game.

Every time I play Dark Souls I think to myself - why can't Skyrim use the same combat system. Would make Skyrim so much better. Even simple things like having to stand still and play an animation to drink a potion would have huge impacts on the difficulty of the game.

That's exactly the reason why I could never finish Skyrim. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls effectively ruined all action games for me including Uncharted 3 and Batman: AC. Up until that point I considered Uncharted 2 and Batman: AA two of the best action games in the last decade. I had to force myself to beat Batman: AC and I rushed through everything only cause I wanted to see the story but the combat was boring. I played Uncharted 3 for about 30 mins before I turned it off and sold it.

Is this game still difficult to play with keyboard and mouse? I want to play it but don't have a controller.

you don't need a controller at all...I played through the entire game using KB/M...you just need to remap the keyboard buttons to suit your style

Is there an "easy mode" for the GF or is it pretty much just really hard?

Dark Souls is only for the brave...very, very hard is the only Mode...no map...no anything...pretty much have to figure everything out on your own...and some of the Boss battles are killer hard the first time

you don't need a controller at all...I played through the entire game using KB/M...you just need to remap the keyboard buttons to suit your style

Can I do that in-game or do I need a third party utility?

So with DSfix this game is pretty playable on PC? Are there still issues like the mouse cursor showing or the menu acting weird.

Is there an "easy mode" for the GF or is it pretty much just really hard?

Just google for "dark souls easy mode" to see how everybody flipped out when the series director dared to suggest adding one. In response, Namco went with the "quotes were mistranslated" PR move and it hasn't been heard of since. So... no.

Can I do that in-game or do I need a third party utility?

So with DSfix this game is pretty playable on PC? Are there still issues like the mouse cursor showing or the menu acting weird.

you can remap keys in-game and use DSfix for improved graphics...game won't ever look like Crysis 3 or anything close but the mod helped make things a lot better graphically

Whats the deal with the Channeler in the Undead Church?
Does he ever come down from the ceiling? I can't attack him with my weapons, I don't have any ranged items. Is there a way to force him down? Am I missing something here?

I think that on the PC Dark Souls never really caught on because it screamed "bad port/rush job" on the surface. That's not the case, but the way the game was released is rarely a good sign.
Plus, once your first play or see the game it's kind of hard to see what's so great about it. I don't think you really grasp Dark Souls until you get to the sewers.

WTF?
Am I blind? Where is there stairs?

I'm coming in through the right side, the door facing the path to the blacksmith. All I remember is the elevator. Is there stairs on the main entrance side?

If you're coming in that door, there should be stairs going up along the right wall - slightly to the right of the elevators. Don't you have to go up there to ring the 1st bell?

WTF?
Am I blind? Where is there stairs?

I'm coming in through the right side, the door facing the path to the blacksmith. All I remember is the elevator. Is there stairs on the main entrance side?

If you need a quest compass and markers every 10 feet, this game isn't for you :p

There is no doubt that shit be hard to find in Dark Souls. I'm on new game + and I got lost in the Ruins Of New Londo couldn't find the merchant who gives me the key....couldn't find the ladder in the fireplace for the life of me.

If you need a quest compass and markers every 10 feet, this game isn't for you :p

Hey!
I made it this far with no guide or anything, I think I'm doing pretty good!
Not the first time I missed something though, on first play I somehow missed the dagger and tried to fight the asylum demon with the broken sword you get from the beginning. (FUTILE, haha!)

If you're coming in that door, there should be stairs going up along the right wall - slightly to the right of the elevators. Don't you have to go up there to ring the 1st bell?

OK, I completely missed it then. Haven't ringed the bell yet. Never saw any stairs there, and I went up and down that elevator a few times. So close.

It's definitely one of those games where it pays off to explore every inch. For that matter, some areas like the Great Hollow and the DLC require a little luck or a guide to find.

Hey!
I made it this far with no guide or anything, I think I'm doing pretty good!
Not the first time I missed something though, on first play I somehow missed the dagger and tried to fight the asylum demon with the broken sword you get from the beginning. (FUTILE, haha!)

From what I've read elsewhere, once you get good enough after finishing the game and maybe NG+, players come back, create a whole new character, and killing the asylum demon with the sword hilt is easy as taking candy from a baby. When you do that, you get his hammer. Don't bother attempting it as a new player, though.

Back