Dark Souls is on Steam

I enjoy the pvp quite a bit. The few obvious cheaters aside, the community is actually pretty decent. I'm not pro at this yet, but I'm getting there.

I just purchased this game and am very excited as I've been dying to play it on PC. The only attempt I've ever made at trying to patch a game with post-release/unofficial graphics mods was with GTAIV and I failed miserably...mainly due to the problem with my game being tied to Steam and not being able to roll back the game version to install the graphics mods.

Is the process of trying to patch this game very difficult? I'm about to start downloading and hope to get to start playing tonight...I am extra pumped for this experience.

Is the process of trying to patch this game very difficult? I'm about to start downloading and hope to get to start playing tonight...I am extra pumped for this experience.

it's simple and straight forward...the author of the mod details everything in the ReadMe file so you really can't go wrong

it's simple and straight forward...the author of the mod details everything in the ReadMe file so you really can't go wrong
Cool...just got it installed. Short of reading through this whole thread and finding the link for this mod(s?), I'm ready to play. Is the mod that I read about somewhere back in this thread just one file? Any way you could link me to it? Thanks.

I'm quite familiar with using Hamachi, but does joining the same network on it allow you to see your friend's summoning sign more easily?

Welp, just tested DS without Hamachi and we couldn't see each other's soapstone signs. After 15 minutes of spamming the signs, we quit out, loaded up Hamachi, pinged my buddy to make sure it worked, jumped back in the game, and we were able to summon again. It didn't immediately start working though; it took a few minutes for our signs to appear. Inconclusive to say the least, but so far we're 2-0 for it working only with Hamachi on.

Took out 2 more low level griefers tonight in the Depths, but not before one got me on my fresh alt in Undeads Burg. The first one we put down was wearing what looked like Giant armor and gave me a good licking with some nasty claws (lightning maybe?); then at range he'd breathe fire at us, throw poison darts/firebombs. Having a huge equipment advantage wasn't enough for this brand of scumbag, of course; he had to hide among the two butchers and other mobs in the entrance to the Depths. When we put the hurt on him, he'd run into the group of mobs, heal, then come back; rinse and repeat. Eventually he ran out of heals and tried to wait us out by poisoning us and hiding among the mobs (2x Butchers, 3x zombie dogs, half a dozen or so hollows). We were lucky enough to have packed status heals, so we decided we'd wait him out instead. Finally he got tired of waiting and charged at us with his lightning claws, but traded blows with the Drake Sword. GG "Manguy Dudeface," you trolling sack of crap.

The second guy wasn't so lucky and doesn't appear on my "players met" log. We managed to pull in a 3rd white phantom to take on the Gaping Dragon boss. This third guy was uber geared as well, I'm assuming an anti-troll. But just before we got to the boss, we were invaded but some dude in weird spikey ass armor (crystalline maybe). It was glorious; the moment the black phantom turned the corner and made it to the top of the stairs, he rage charges at the host, but not before being pelted by at least 10 soul spears all at once.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the default key is that correlates with the Xbox 360's "Start" button...I pressed EVERY key on my keyboard last night trying to exit the game and never could find it...ended up to ctrl-alt-deleting out of the game. Other than the mouse sensitivity for camera control I think M/KB is gonna be perfect.

Can someone tell me what the default key is that correlates with the Xbox 360's "Start" button...I pressed EVERY key on my keyboard last night trying to exit the game and never could find it...ended up to ctrl-alt-deleting out of the game. Other than the mouse sensitivity for camera control I think M/KB is gonna be perfect.

End

Extract, edit .ini, play.

Durante did a great job.

Not quite. Before installing DSfix and/or editing its .ini, you need to load up Dark Souls one time and go into its menus and change the output resolution to your monitor's native res and turn off the Anti-Aliasing in Dark Soul's menu.

Then you can edit the ini and take advantage of DSfix's benefits. If you don't turn off Dark Souls built-in AA, you will experience a blurry mess, at the least. Setting the output resolution ensures that the graphics scale correctly, whether you set them under native res, exactly at, or over it (DSfix supports pumping up internal res, then down-scaling for an SSAA effect).

This is not pointed at anyone, but if you actually bother to read DSfix's documentation, it will say all of that. Many people however, do not. Then go posting in the neogaf DSfix thread complaining that the mod doesn't work.

Not quite. Before installing DSfix and/or editing its .ini, you need to load up Dark Souls one time and go into its menus and change the output resolution to your monitor's native res and turn off the Anti-Aliasing in Dark Soul's menu.

Then you can edit the ini and take advantage of DSfix's benefits. If you don't turn off Dark Souls built-in AA, you will experience a blurry mess, at the least. Setting the output resolution ensures that the graphics scale correctly, whether you set them under native res, exactly at, or over it (DSfix supports pumping up internal res, then down-scaling for an SSAA effect).

This is not pointed at anyone, but if you actually bother to read DSfix's documentation, it will say all of that. Many people however, do not. Then go posting in the neogaf DSfix thread complaining that the mod doesn't work.

Yea, sorry. I forgot to mention READ the documentation.

Is there any way to change the mouse sensitivity for the camera? It may just be me, but it seems kind of herky jerky...:confused:

Is there any way to change the mouse sensitivity for the camera? It may just be me, but it seems kind of herky jerky...:confused:

That is what got me to get a controller, it was very... very worth it. MS official one was plug and play with the game too.

Is this game as punishing as it was on console or does it feel a bit easier on pc?

It's still the same...the difficulty is not really relieved by playing on PC.

Is this game as punishing as it was on console or does it feel a bit easier on pc?

It's the same. Any differences in difficulty or balance are due to the 1.06 patch, which is the PC version of the game but has now been applied to consoles.

The new patch does make most of the uncommon and rare drops noticeably more common. So farming time has been cut-down.

Although I feel like Humanity drops a little less often.

Otherwise, some much needed balance tweaks to certain equipment have been changed. Along with removal of the bottomless box glitch, FROM has effectively re-invigorated the PVP in one sweep.

Hi guys...I'm stuck at the part where you traverse into the room where you have to do the plunge attack while falling. The biggest problem I'm having so far is figuring out what key correlates with what button on the 360 controller...i.e, the tip before you traverse says "Press RB to attack while falling". The problem is I don't know which key initiates the action synonymous with RB on the 360 controller.

Thanks in advance!

Taking a small break from playing to come here and say:

This is Zelda's spiritual successor for me. This will be the first action/rpg I have finished since OoT...and that's kind of a big deal.

Still on my first full play-through; ran into an invading player while cooping with someone else. The dude was super squishy, but then he whipped out Dark Bead. Even with my shield up, it nearly 1-shotted me (probably did about 98% damage). It blasts at you like a shotgun and is fast as hell. How do you guys deal with this spell? I was using mostly heavy gear at the time and a Tower Shield, so dodging wasn't necessarily an option, especially at that range. I'm trying to fit a cleric/tank role for PvE since I coop with my caster friend a lot. So it's usually lightning bolts, heals at range, or even occasionally crossbow bolts at range, then face stomp with Uchigatana (divine +10) or Zweihander (lightning +5). I'm currently sporting a Paladin set upgraded to +4 each and rotate between shields depending on the situation (usually Silver Knight's Shield for its balanced defensive stats + stability). My physical resistance is over 370 with the Ring of Steel Protection, or 320 without it, and I have just over 1000hp now. :[

Last edited:
How to deal with Dark Bead:
1. Use cover and/or elevation changes
2. Use a shield with good stability and magic resist
3. If you can anticipate it being cast use your silver pendant
4. Roll into the DB and, if the distance and time were judged correctly, show him the tip of your sword.

Thanks Smythe.

In certain areas I can't use my white soapstone to place a soul sign (e.g. in the Duke's archives just before the white fog gate where you first see Seath the Scaleless), does this also mean I can't be invaded in such areas while human?

Thinking about buying this tonight.

What mods are a must for this game? I see the mouse fix which I'm sure is a must, but anything else?

I started a new character a couple days ago and managed to snag a titanite catch pole from the first Prowler Demon on the way to the forest. Then I got summoned into some guys game and he dropped 50 twinkling titanite for me to have. Needless to say, I'm going to have a pretty easy time until Anor Londo :p

Just beat the game on my first character after 40 hours but I know I missed a ton of content. I didn't turn human once so I missed all the npc phantoms and pvp. I was using the heal/regen miracles so the lack of flasks didn't really bother me.

Pretty sure I got the bad ending.

As brutal as the game was it makes me want to play it again. Maybe with a guide this time so I don't miss everything :). I'm hoping the PC version sells well enough for them to warrant porting their next game too.

I know literally zero about this game. It sounds interesting though...and confusing as hell.

Just beat the game on my first character after 40 hours but I know I missed a ton of content. I didn't turn human once so I missed all the npc phantoms and pvp. I was using the heal/regen miracles so the lack of flasks didn't really bother me.

Pretty sure I got the bad ending.

As brutal as the game was it makes me want to play it again. Maybe with a guide this time so I don't miss everything :). I'm hoping the PC version sells well enough for them to warrant porting their next game too.

I was at ~90 hours when I beat it the first time. I'd say about 12 hours of that was pvp. Otherwise, I was trying not to miss anything. I failed Solaire, but did pretty much everything else.

This game fucking pisses me off. Never have I got so pissed off at a stupid game.

I can't beat the god damn first boss, WTF?

I Drop from the top, take about half of his health, then just suck all kinds of shit and die.

Sounds like you need to work on your dodging. Most of his attacks are easily dodged by rolling to the left/right. Also many of the larger enemies turn slowly so if you stay close and try to circle them they usually can't get any good attacks off.

Another useful tip on some of the larger enemies is that you can roll forward between their legs to dodge their attacks - like the second (minotaur) boss.

Back