Dark Souls is on Steam

Well this is fantastic...I undid the Raw Zweihander into a Zweihander +5 and now it doesn't even come up in the Reinforce Weapon menu. Just fantastic.

I believe if it's a +5 you then have to ascend it before you can reinforce it further.

+5 weapons have to be ascended before you can reinforce them any more.

It already WAS ascended. All other items that get turned back into the normal versions seem to revert back to +10, but this piece of shit went back to +5.

I still can't beat these overpowered fucks. I have no humanity to summon anyone, so I now have to leg it all the way back to the Depths to farm because these dumbass developers were too stupid to put a fast-travel system in until the last third of the game and after the toughest boss.

EDIT Nevermind, I manage to fucking do it finally.

Last edited:
You wouldn't have been able to go back to the Depths anyway. You're locked to Anor Londo until you beat the boss.

Calm down a bit, it's only a game :)

I got the Zweihander to +10 (had to go back to the other blacksmith), but it only does 260 damage now. I guess it scales better?

You wouldn't have been able to go back to the Depths anyway. You're locked to Anor Londo until you beat the boss.

You can get out of Anor Londo without beating the bosses. Talking to the bat demon at the very start of the level takes you back to the Iron Golem arena at Sen's Fortress.

I had no problem going back to the gargoyles and having them carry me back to Sen's Fortress.

EDIT: Late.

Huh, honestly I tried doing that once but I couldn't go back. Maybe my game bugged out.

I am loving the winged spear. Just reinforced it up to +5 and I just finished the Bell Gargoyle.

Funny story: There were a couple of summoning signs near the side entrance to the church (across from the walkway down to the blacksmith). As I was summoning someone in, I got the notification that I had been invaded, so I summoned in a second phantom as well.

When the red phantom came around the corner he was face-to-face with me and my backup. We slaughtered him in a matter of seconds- I actually managed to get in the killing blow.

I've looked at a couple different wikis but I cannot find a legend that explains the different rankings for stat scaling. For instance, Strength on the Winged Spear is an E. What does that mean?

Trying to figure out what are my best leveling choices for my current spear build.

I really need more stamina because I find myself having to back away from enemies and drop my shield so I can regen all the time. I also want to level STR and DEX since the weapon scales with them, but will the damage improve better if I focus on one stat, or is it better to level both?

Rank goes E, D, C, B, A.

E is worst, A is best scaling.

So if you have a weapon that is E scaling on strength and C scaling on dexterity, then you will gain much more damage by improving dexterity.

I am loving the winged spear. Just reinforced it up to +5 and I just finished the Bell Gargoyle.

Funny story: There were a couple of summoning signs near the side entrance to the church (across from the walkway down to the blacksmith). As I was summoning someone in, I got the notification that I had been invaded, so I summoned in a second phantom as well.

When the red phantom came around the corner he was face-to-face with me and my backup. We slaughtered him in a matter of seconds- I actually managed to get in the killing blow.

Haha, Awesome.

I had the help of my wife and bro-in-law during most of my playthrough. It was funny watching the invaders go from being the hunter to the hunted as the 3 of us ended up chasing them down during each invasion, haha.

I still can't beat these overpowered fucks. I have no humanity to summon anyone, so I now have to leg it all the way back to the Depths to farm because these dumbass developers were too stupid to put a fast-travel system in until the last third of the game and after the toughest boss.

EDIT Nevermind, I manage to fucking do it finally.

it's good you finally beat them...would have been frustrating to make it this far and quit

you didn't need to backtrack that far to farm Humanity...I farmed lots of Humanity from the Painted World area of Anor Londo...tons of rats there...I also had to farm because I died so many times during the O&S fight that I ran out of Humanity...the most frustrating part of the entire game and the only part which required me to grind and soul farm (actually I think I also grinded souls for the Artorias boss fight to get my Zweihander to +15 and leveled up my Strength to get better scaling with it)

Last edited:
Rank goes E, D, C, B, A.

E is worst, A is best scaling.

So if you have a weapon that is E scaling on strength and C scaling on dexterity, then you will gain much more damage by improving dexterity.

I never figured out what S scaling was, though.

I guess mediocre scaling on the Winged Spear is worth the reach and fact that you can attack with your shield up.

I really want that Demon Spear! Any way to grab it fast before I head down to Capra Demon?

S = Super!

So far on my NG+, my plan is to finish the Solaire storyline. I did all but the summon quests last time, besides Lautrec. I even reunited Seigmeyer with his daughter. I felt bad for not helping out my Sunbro, but I wanted to beat the bosses solo. I let Lautrec kill whatshername this time so I could finish his questline, too.

Fastest way is to join the Forest Covenant and buy it from the merchant that appears shortly afterwards for 15,000 souls. In total you will need 35,000 to do this though, not sure how feasible this is at your stage in the game without a ton of farming.

I guess mediocre scaling on the Winged Spear is worth the reach and fact that you can attack with your shield up.

I really want that Demon Spear! Any way to grab it fast before I head down to Capra Demon?

Yea, if you join the Forest Hunter covenant. Head to Blight Town (via Valley of the Drakes) and buy it for like 15,000 souls from Shiva.

I've been poring over a few different wiki and map sites but I cannot see how to get to Alvina so I can join the covenant.

I see how to go from Firelink down the elevator to the Valley of the Drakes, then turn left and run to Blight Town, but I don't see how to get to Dark Root Garden from there.

Missed a step. Darkroot is under the blacksmith in Undead Parrish. Either buy the key from the blacksmith that opens the locked gate in Darkroot, or kill the hydra in the basin and climb the ladder.

You don't have to go to Blight Town (derp me), but the merchant will appear there when you get there. He first appears right outside the tower Alvina is in.

anyone using the 60 FPS mod?...I see it now works with DSfix...I remember hearing about major performance issues with it enabled earlier...have they been fixed?

it's good you finally beat them...would have been frustrating to make it this far and quit

you didn't need to backtrack that far to farm Humanity...I farmed lots of Humanity from the Painted World area of Anor Londo...tons of rats there...I also had to farm because I died so many times during the O&S fight that I ran out of Humanity...the most frustrating part of the entire game and the only part which required me to grind and soul farm (actually I think I grinded souls for the Artorias boss fight to get my Zweihander to +15 and leveled up my Strength to get better scaling with it)

Yeah I am trying to get the Zweihander to +15 now before I go take on the Lords. I went through New Londo and lowered the water level so might go take on the Four Kings soon now that I have beaten Sif.

4 Kings are easier than some may suggest. Stay in close melee range and kill 1 at a time. Their melee damage is not bad up close. Try using magic weapon buff or one of the damage resins. If you can kill the first before the others start to spawn, you're off to a good start.

4 Kings are easier than some may suggest. Stay in close melee range and kill 1 at a time. Their melee damage is not bad up close. Try using magic weapon buff or one of the damage resins. If you can kill the first before the others start to spawn, you're off to a good start.

Thanks for the tip. :cool:

Yeah I am trying to get the Zweihander to +15 now before I go take on the Lords. I went through New Londo and lowered the water level so might go take on the Four Kings soon now that I have beaten Sif.

after Ornstein and Smough I didn't have any trouble at all with any of the remaining bosses except Knight Artorias from the DLC section...he's similar to Super Ornstein in that he's super fast and aggressive...the 3 bosses that I had trouble with in the game have all been very similar- Capra Demon, O&S, Artorias...they've all been super quick and super aggressive

Last edited:
Not enough horsepower on my end to keep my current graphics settings and 60fps at the same time. Though, my system is now rather outdated.

Not enough horsepower on my end to keep my current graphics settings and 60fps at the same time. Though, my system is now rather outdated.

the DSfix creator recommends 810 DoF with DoF blur 1, SMAA 4 and SSAO 2...this is on an i7 920 at 3.6 GHz and a 660ti

might give it a try with those settings

Tell us how it goes. I'm currently content with 30fps with my settings, but wouldn't mind more.

It runs pretty smooth on my lowly system, but I suck at the game and haven't gotten far. I used what the author of the mod recommended as far as settings. The game runs like it does on 30 fps; nothing out of sync or stuttering.

Tell me, does anyone know how to use a crossbow? There are no sights and it can't lock on to targets, making it... useless?

Anyway got my zweihander to a +4 lightning. It is pretty awesome, finally. Looking for a titanite slab for the +5, which I believe you have to farm dark wraiths for.

Tell me, does anyone know how to use a crossbow? There are no sights and it can't lock on to targets, making it... useless?

Anyway got my zweihander to a +4 lightning. It is pretty awesome, finally. Looking for a titanite slab for the +5, which I believe you have to farm dark wraiths for.

The crossbows have the same lock-on range as other one-handed weapons, I believe. Your character will then fire directly at the target. This can be done with the bows as well, which is handy when the enemy is too close to fiddle with manual aiming (it's pretty painful with a controller). Arrows tend to be cheaper to buy as well.

The Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum will drop a Titanite Slab when you kill him. I used to it to take my Zweihander to +15. It seems to be scaling higher with dexterity than strength now, though.

If you want an easy one, you can kill the stray demon.

I did some progress earlier today. Finally ground out to 15 intelligence so I could enchant my +15 Uchigatana with Greater Magic Weapon. Went ahead and killed the 4 kings, and Sif with it. Working my way up the library now.

Took out the Titanite Demon on the first try, which was an awesome achievement for me. I ran back up to the blacksmith part way through the battle because I realized I wasn't doing much damage, so I equipped gold pine resin and went to town. I also found a possible exploit against him:

I read about staying close to his missing right leg, because then most attacks would miss. Well I was in that spot and the battle moved over to the stairs. I was standing a couple of steps lower than the demon and I realized that even fewer of his attacks were connecting with my shield. I even accidentally let my shield drop at one point and he missed me, so being a little lower than him seems to nullify his attacks.

I made it all the way to the gate of Artorias (sp?) and opened it with the seal and heard a covenant member approaching in enough time to lock on and defend myself. We fought for at least a minute. I felt like I was doing good, but then he connected with a heavy attack from what I guess was zwiehander and I was a goner.

I really want to get to Alvina so I can join her covenant, but I'm not sure how I'm going to make it if there are a lot of protectors in the area.

Is it possible/advisable to just dash straight for her lair?

The crossbows have the same lock-on range as other one-handed weapons, I believe. Your character will then fire directly at the target. This can be done with the bows as well, which is handy when the enemy is too close to fiddle with manual aiming (it's pretty painful with a controller). Arrows tend to be cheaper to buy as well.

The Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum will drop a Titanite Slab when you kill him. I used to it to take my Zweihander to +15. It seems to be scaling higher with dexterity than strength now, though.

Are you over 40 str? 40+ seems to be the dimishing returns number for those stats.

anyone using the 60 FPS mod?...I see it now works with DSfix...I remember hearing about major performance issues with it enabled earlier...have they been fixed?

I'm running 60fps mod with all of the dsfix graphical goodies on and it runs great. Seemed to run pretty well if I only used one card as well.

you can lock on with the crossbow...it works the same as locking on with other weapons, just click whatever key you have mapped to it...bows require you to dual wield them to aim which is annoying and is why I much preferred crossbows...either way I didn't use the bow/crossbow very often in the game...only in certain situations where ranged combat was necessary to eliminate enemies that could not be reached easily through any other method

I farmed a few Titanite Slabs from the Darkwraiths in lower New Londo Ruins...they are very rare drops so it took me a good while to farm the amount that I needed...you need slabs to finalize a lot of weapon/shield upgrades to the +15 level so they are pretty important

Back