Dark Souls is on Steam

I've been able to shield tank most of the bosses so far but Seath the Scaleless (known as an easy boss) is really frustrating me. The bonfire is so far away! I keep getting stuck in the crystals and have my hp drained before I can get out.

Cursebite Ring
Mask of Velka (or whatever you have that has highest curse resistance)
armor with highest curse resistance
2 hand primary weapon
Bloodshield

stick close to Seath...I stuck to his left tentacle and kept hammering away

Last edited:
You really don't need that much Curse resistance. I only used the Bloodshield.

The problem with Seath is it's one of those fights where RNG can fuck you over. Sometimes he might never attack you in melee range, sometimes that's all he'll do.

I've been able to shield tank most of the bosses so far but Seath the Scaleless (known as an easy boss) is really frustrating me. The bonfire is so far away! I keep getting stuck in the crystals and have my hp drained before I can get out.

and SSAO killed my already low frame rate

If you've opened up the shortcut / bonfire right near the exit from the archives to the forest you can just run all the way to him. Sprint to the crystal caves, run down the crystal, turn, sprint around the Crystal Golem. Get to the invisible walkways, learn where they are, and just sprint across.

If you are in lighter armor, with a decent amount of stamina, you can just zoom past everything right to him without getting hit.

Called in a phantom just before I took on the Gaping Dragon. The fight ended up being no fun because this guy just straight tanked the boss so hard that it was over in no time.

Today's Lesson: attempt a boss alone before summoning help.

Called in a phantom just before I took on the Gaping Dragon. The fight ended up being no fun because this guy just straight tanked the boss so hard that it was over in no time.

Today's Lesson: attempt a boss alone before summoning help.

You can't exactly just tank it because he will 1 shot you if you get hit by the teeth. That being said, it's one of the easier fights IMO.

Also, 60 FPS unlock has been updated to work with dsfix http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/26/

does From Software have to approve every message that gets posted from other players before it gets posted in the game?

does anyone here post and rank messages? have you ever seen a result of doing so? What about the toll messages? (ie: jump here!)

does anyone here post and rank messages? have you ever seen a result of doing so? What about the toll messages? (ie: jump here!)

I've posted a few and ranked a few (I ranked one in Undead Burg right next to the difficult to spot entrance to the merchant as I think people can benefit from that)...I think you only get credit if someone ranks your posted message

I'm tempted to get Demon's Souls (I know it's a PS3 exclusive)...how does Dark Souls compare overall and specifically in terms of difficulty?

They're both pretty similar overall, but Demon's Souls has a few key differences:

-There is no open world, you travel to each area through a hub.
-If you die, you have to start from the beginning of the level. There are no checkpoints or bonfires. You can still unlock shortcuts though.
-Rather than Estus Flasks, Healthy Recovery items are regular drops and they can stack to 99. So you can effectively farm 99 Full Health Herbs (which is one of the reasons this was changed in Dark Souls).
-You have a magic meter that uses MP for spells, and items exist to recover MP. This kind of made Magic really overpowered as there was no penalty for spamming it.
-In Soul Form (or Hollowed), you have 1/2 your Max HP (same as being Cursed in Dark Souls). The game was balanced for Soul Form however, which is why many people consider Dark Souls the more difficult game.
-There is an interesting World Tendency mechanic where you can influence the enemy strength and spawns, as well as unlocking secret areas in each zone depending on what you do. For example, shifting an area Tendency towards White will make the enemies weaker and possibly spawn NPC's that will help you or give you items. Shifting the tendency towards Black will make enemies stronger and cause Black Phantoms to spawn which drop rare items.
-Bosses, though, were MUCH more difficult. I still don't know how to beat Armored Spider as a melee character :(
--To expand on this, the game overall was a lot less polished compared to Dark Souls, so there's a way to exploit or cheese almost every boss. At least it was really obvious if someone did it legitimately or not (if someone said to you that "Flamelurker was so easy", then he exploited the shit out of it).
-Hard to believe, but Demon's Souls is a much darker game with an extremely bleak atmosphere. There is virtually no humor. It's a pretty depressing game and if you pay attention to the lore and storyline you're going to feel like shit after beating a specific boss.
-I hope you liked Blighttown because 20% of Demon's Souls is literally that.
-Upgrade system is pretty confusing and a really annoying grind if you're going for a specific weapon path.

That's off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Bosses, though, were MUCH more difficult. I still don't know how to beat Armored Spider as a melee character :(
--To expand on this, the game overall was a lot less polished compared to Dark Souls, so there's a way to exploit or cheese almost every boss. At least it was really obvious if someone did it legitimately or not (if someone said to you that "Flamelurker was so easy", then he exploited the shit out of it)

a legit way to exploit the boss?...why is that considered cheesing then?...or do you mean cheating?...if he has a legit weakness and people take advantage of it then it should be fine...all the Dark Souls bosses seem to have some weakness which can be exploited as well

no bonifires sounds frustrating...starting all the way from the beginning of the level each time would be a major grind...I hated running from the bonfire to the boss in Dark Souls

Dark Souls sounds like the better game overall...although I would like to fight all the bosses in Demon's Souls as they sound like a nice challenge...either way I'm happy I got through Dark Souls

Not a legitimate weakness. Actual game exploits like getting bosses stuck on terrain or shooting them through walls. Hell there were 3 bosses that you could kill by just shooting them with arrows through the fog door.

just watched a YouTube video of the Armored Spider boss fight...guy seemed to handle it with relative ease...but the spider didn't seem to move from that 1 spot so I'm not sure if that was an exploit or not...it also seems like you have places to catch a breather during the fight unlike Dark Souls where most boss fights seem relentless with no places to hide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQgSJSTGbM

Yeah I'm probably remembering it was harder than it actually was since it was about 3 years ago. Then again, videos of people beating bosses obviously don't show the numerous attempts it took them to actually defeat it ;)

I drop and rank messages actively. I'll rank up ones that are actually helpful and rank down any trolling ones that aren't funny.

One I did rank up was a note someone dropped in a tight corner: "Imminent tight spot" made me laugh

I drop and rank messages actively. I'll rank up ones that are actually helpful and rank down any trolling ones that aren't funny.

One I did rank up was a note someone dropped in a tight corner: "Imminent tight spot" made me laugh

I try to hook people up who drop good messages. Though, there were about 2 troll messages that were so well done, I rated them up due to the effort.

Yeah I'm probably remembering it was harder than it actually was since it was about 3 years ago. Then again, videos of people beating bosses obviously don't show the numerous attempts it took them to actually defeat it ;)

Well, it seemed really hard at the time. Just like Dark Souls would seem even harder to someone that hasn't played Demon's Souls before :p

The Tower Knight made me rage pretty hard when I first got the game, but he got really easy once you got the mechanics down.

The Smough and Orstein boss fight is completely fucked and beyond any measure of being reasonable. I can't get near the "super" form of either of them and do any kind of damage. They keep pulling off unblockable AOEs that have to be run away from. Fucking joke.

The Smough and Orstein boss fight is completely fucked and beyond any measure of being reasonable. I can't get near the "super" form of either of them and do any kind of damage. They keep pulling off unblockable AOEs that have to be run away from. Fucking joke.

lol I was thinking the same thing after dying the first 20 times...summon NPC Knight Solaire!!...he's a major help...his summon sign is outside the fog gate and up the stairs near that knight with the crossbow

they do make that boss fight pretty extreme...because even after summoning Solaire you can't just run through the fog gate so easy ignoring the enemies along the way because Solaire will stop and fight the 2 knights in the hallway a majority of the time which in turn reduces his health bar from damage taken...even if the damage is small, every bit matters because you need him to last in the O&S fight

the 'super' version of Smough is a piece of cake if that's any consolation (Super Ornstein is tougher I hear)...getting past that first round is the tough part

Last edited:
They're both pretty similar overall, but Demon's Souls has a few key differences:

-No online because the servers were taken down.

That's off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Good summary except for this. Atlus changed their mind and the North America servers will remain open indefinitely.

Neither super version likes your head in their crotch. Run away fast from the buttslam, keep stamina up. I went in with sorta meduim/light armor with a very stable shield and a black knight sword maxed out.

What's your level? I'm still prepping for NG+ and may be able to help if you are close enough in levels (SL88 atm). I don't mind that fight at all, pretty exciting. Though, without help, the first phase was sort of like having 2 cars chase me on foot...

Last edited:
was the lightning spear any good? had the bright idea of using a boulder to weaken the chest monster. it killed us both... item gone. :(

Good summary except for this. Atlus changed their mind and the North America servers will remain open indefinitely.

Oh really? Awesome news, I remember when they changed their minds the first time and extended it a few months but I stopped following after that.

Neither super version likes your head in their crotch. Run away fast from the buttslam, keep stamina up. I went in with sorta meduim/light armor with a very stable shield and a black knight sword maxed out.

What's your level? I'm still prepping for NG+ and may be able to help if you are close enough in levels (SL88 atm). I don't mind that fight at all, pretty exciting. Though, without help, the first phase was sort of like having 2 cars chase me on foot...

Thanks for the offer but I am on a rental 360 version with an offline account :(

I am lvl 70 at the moment. What's a good weapon to invest in upgrading? I'm currently using a Lighting Spear +4 and a Raw Zweihander +5. Strength is 33, Dexterity is 22. I was thinking of upgrading the Silver Knight Straight Sword...

lol I was thinking the same thing after dying the first 20 times...summon NPC Knight Solaire!!...he's a major help...his summon sign is outside the fog gate and up the stairs near that knight with the crossbow

they do make that boss fight pretty extreme...because even after summoning Solaire you can't just run through the fog gate so easy ignoring the enemies along the way because Solaire will stop and fight the 2 knights in the hallway a majority of the time which in turn reduces his health bar from damage taken...even if the damage is small, every bit matters because you need him to last in the O&S fight

the 'super' version of Smough is a piece of cake if that's any consolation (Super Ornstein is tougher I hear)...getting past that first round is the tough part

Yeah I have been summoning Solaire and he is fucking useless against the super versions.

Whoa you're really over-leveled for that fight. Normal SL is ~50 or so. What exactly are you doing during it?

Whoa you're really over-leveled for that fight. Normal SL is ~50 or so. What exactly are you doing during it?

I can defeat Orstein easily enough but having trouble avoiding super Smough's attacks. I tried it the other way but Super Orstein just kept spamming the lightning AOE attack and I couldn't get near him. I was using the Lightning Spear too and it was doing fuck-all damage...60 or so damage with each attack.

A +5 Black Knight Sword will be doing ~250 damage each swing. It doesn't scale very well later, but is great for most of the regular game. You could undo the raw Zwei and put it up to ~+10 and do good damage, too.

Super Smough: put a pillar between you and roll forward into his front after he finishes and attack, swing 1-2 times, roll back behind pillar. Keep in mind to give a meter or two space, as his attacks will reach a bit. I'd go light armor for speed. Heavy armor won't help your survival much in that fight.

Last edited:
A +5 Black Knight Sword will be doing ~250 damage each swing. It doesn't scale very well later, but is great for most of the regular game. You could undo the raw Zwei and put it up to ~+10 and do good damage, too.

Super Smough: put a pillar between you and roll forward into his front after he finishes and attack, swing 1-2 times, roll back behind pillar. Keep in mind to give a meter or two space, as his attacks will reach a bit. I'd go light armor for speed. Heavy armor won't help your survival much in that fight.

I'll give that a go, thanks! :cool: So the Zwei +10 will do more damage than the Raw Zwei +5?

Raw weapons were intended for int casters to be able to do more physical damage, as they are higher damage but have no real attribute scaling. With 33 str, a +10 zwei should be doing more damage.

The Silver Knight Straight Sword and mostly all of the spears are more intended for dex players, as that is their primary scaling attribute. As a dex player myself, I pumped a Balder Side Sword to +15 and it ends up being almost ridiculously powerful.

Raw weapons were intended for int casters to be able to do more physical damage, as they are higher damage but have no real attribute scaling. With 33 str, a +10 zwei should be doing more damage.

Cool, thanks again. I feel like a nub...

The Katana I got from the merchant I killed has been my favorite weapon so far, I got it up to +15 (gives it an A rating with dex) and my damage with 40 dex is 420. It's not the most damaging weapon but has is really good animations and it also bleeds (when you bleed a mob it does instantly 30% of it's hp, less on bosses).

I've killed all the other lords (atleast I think I have) and I'm currently in the crystal cavern what an annoying zone.

edit: The 60 fps mod is amazing if you got the horsepower, I recommend it 1000%.

I can defeat Orstein easily enough but having trouble avoiding super Smough's attacks. I tried it the other way but Super Orstein just kept spamming the lightning AOE attack and I couldn't get near him. I was using the Lightning Spear too and it was doing fuck-all damage...60 or so damage with each attack.

Super Smough is pretty easy...just stay behind the pillars...he will just constantly strafe around the pillar in circles...attack him after he does his hammer move as he is defenseless for a few seconds...you can even Crossbow him exclusively

Started a new game as a Knight. As soon as I got to Firelink I tried to go into the graveyard to loot the weapons there, but got killed by the skeletons pretty easily. So, since my move rate is so low, I unequipped all my armor and ran completely naked through the graveyard. I managed to get both Zwiehander and the Winged Spear and get all the way back to the bonfire- even killed the one skellie that followed me- I was feeling good!

On my 2nd attempt on Taurus Deamon he hit me when I tried to run past him to get back to the tower ladder, but I got my block up quick enough (using Black Knight Shield) and he then jumped back to disengage and fell off the tower!

The Armored Boar is giving me a lot of trouble now, though. I'm so slow that I can't get behind him.

Currently I'm running Winged Spear with the Black Knight Shield.

I started NG+ this morning at level 89, got up to level 100 and in Sen's Fortress already. I was going to start Torchlight 2, but what the heck. Toughest boss for me was Kalameet in the DLC.

The Katana I got from the merchant I killed has been my favorite weapon so far, I got it up to +15 (gives it an A rating with dex) and my damage with 40 dex is 420. It's not the most damaging weapon but has is really good animations and it also bleeds (when you bleed a mob it does instantly 30% of it's hp, less on bosses).

I've killed all the other lords (atleast I think I have) and I'm currently in the crystal cavern what an annoying zone.

edit: The 60 fps mod is amazing if you got the horsepower, I recommend it 1000%.

You can also use the sorcery/miracle weapon buffs on your +15 Uchigatana, to make the damage that much more awesome.;)

Back