Dark Souls is on Steam

I wouldn't count on seeing their Armored Core titles on the PC, but maybe the next Souls title.

That's all I'm worried about. I never had time for the Armored Core series, regardless of how good they may/may not be.

I'm already planning a NG+ with this and I'm not even half way through the game yet.

You're paying for a product bro. It wasn't free. If you feel the game experience is worth $40 than great, but other people may feel that the level of effort they put forth for the money you are spending is not a great value. When you are paying for a product, particularly a PC game, it should work out of the box with the features we expect. Imagine if you bought this game and don't have a PC controller? Not everyone does. I played through Dragon Age, all the Mass Effect games, The Witcher1/2, etc with just kb+m, and they all functioned more or less correctly with that setup. From what I am reading here, playing this game without a controller is borderline impossible, barring the player being a sadomasochist.

They had a decent amount of time to make the port, and given that even the community fixes already available took under <1 day to implement, the fact that the original developers with full access to the source code didn't bother to fix them implies laziness.

None of this implies that the game itself is BAD - I remember Gothic 1 had miserable controls and I still loved that game - but it does mean that people who are not savvy enough to download community mods or who do not have a controller available to them will be getting a shitty experience, and I don't fault people for pointing that out.

I uderstand your point, but what really uncomfort me is some PC gamers tends to overlook the important bit but focus on rather trivial details.

The resolution can be fixed within a few hours, but that few hours may be devoted to new areas/bosses on the PC port. From Software is devoting their development effort for the best of their money and fans, and they may think new bosses/area are more important than graphical/technical improvement. How difficult it is to understand that?

I recently finished Crysis 2, I am not planning to get the third one. Why? Because the core gameplay isn't there. I know the game looks good, but novelty wears out very quickly. 1 hour into the game, you wouldn't even notice the graphics. I think most PC gamers would agree with me, just look at that game's PC sales.

You are right about ME3 other mega titles, but they are very experienced PC developers. Be tolerate, once you get into the game you will understand how amazing it is.

holy fuck this game is terrible. just bought it and I'm wanting a refund. xbox 360 controller button overlays over an interactive area and in-game menus. yeah I wanted a PC game not an xbox 360 game. ( I have a 360 too btw)

Before I even bought the game I had the mindset "oh its their first pc game so its okay" now after buying the game.... they will never see my money again.

holy fuck this game is terrible. just bought it and I'm wanting a refund. xbox 360 controller button overlays over an interactive area and in-game menus. yeah I wanted a PC game not an xbox 360 game. ( I have a 360 too btw)

Before I even bought the game I had the mindset "oh its their first pc game so its okay" now after buying the game.... they will never see my money again.

huh?

So what you are saying is that you went into a game knowing that it was a bad console to PC port(possible fixes later on) and so its a terrible game because you knew all this and bought it anyways?

GG.

From Software is devoting their development effort for the best of their money and fans, and they may think new bosses/area are more important than graphical/technical improvement. How difficult it is to understand that?
I understand what you are saying, but it is highly unlikely that the individuals responsible for porting the coding of the engine are the ones developing the art assets for new bosses or scripting the encounters. In other words, I doubt that was a choice they really had to make.

thank the gaming gods, I finally beat the Capra Demon!!

I didn't realize that once you killed the dogs that most of the Demon's attack could be blocked with your shield...only his 2 handed swing needs to be avoided...after that it was easy...making it to the stairs is the tough part...I used my 'get naked' strategy again to give me faster movement and rolls...equipped only my sword and Balder shield...having the Drake sword didn't hurt either

You can block his 2 handed strikes with enough poise/stamina/stability, too. You can actually full out tank it (build permitting), or do exactly what you did. He is hard in the "WTF why is this room so small and why does he have dogs?!" sense.

So what you are saying is that you went into a game knowing that it was a bad console to PC port(possible fixes later on) and so its a terrible game because you knew all this and bought it anyways?

GG.

I didn't type it out in detail. Only thing I was unaware of was the xbox button layout only being shown in-game and in menus...ALL THE TIME. (although I can edit my keyboard keys, it doesn't show them when I am able to interact with something in the game and it shows xbox buttons instead, I have no xbox controllers connected, just KB & M and my wireless adapter I use for internet) I was aware of the graphics issues though. So I'd have to keep looking at the key binding menu to see what the equivalent of "LB" "LT" "RT' RB" "X" "A" "B" "Start" when they show up on screen.

Last edited:
eh, fuck I am still in the first area, (after training). They fuck me up with KB/M. Was hoping that leveling up would make it easier (grinding?) but the minions get better stuff also. The bosses are a pain in the ass, then it is an ordeal to get back there. I don't want to read a walk through but damn this is getting tiresome.

I understand what you are saying, but it is highly unlikely that the individuals responsible for porting the coding of the engine are the ones developing the art assets for new bosses or scripting the encounters. In other words, I doubt that was a choice they really had to make.

the coder may already start a new project, maybe called Devil Soul? lol, I am joking. In the long term, it still good for the fans.

eh, fuck I am still in the first area, (after training). They fuck me up with KB/M. Was hoping that leveling up would make it easier (grinding?) but the minions get better stuff also. The bosses are a pain in the ass, then it is an ordeal to get back there. I don't want to read a walk through but damn this is getting tiresome.

Game too difficult for you? This is the hardest game this year, it is good but does not appeal to all gamers.

Grinding does make the game easier, it takes a while but eventually the regular starting enemies become nothing more than a annoyance. But leveling up is a slow process that just makes you slightly stronger as you go. You will notice a much bigger jump if you find some really good gear or a weapon. Or if you do a bunch of upgrading at once. I actually didn't do any upgrades for a long time because I kept thinking I would find a better weapon than my axe. But eventually I broke down and went from a lvl1 axe to a ~lvl3 lightning axe, I don't recall exactly how much of a upgrade I did but it was a crazy amount of damage increase.
I did a similar thing with armor, I was using the basic un upgraded stuff you pick up from near start enemies all the way up until the merchant at Sen's Fortress where I bought a mix of onion armor and something else. It was a huge increase in defense but it cost a lot. Of course like 30 minutes later I found even better armor for free...

Gaping Dragon was a really easy boss...after the Capra Demon I didn't know what to expect especially since I lost half my Health in the Depths from being cursed...then again maybe the developers wanted to give us a break after the crazy difficult Capra

now I'm thinking about going back to the tower where I rang the first bell in order to buy more Purging Stones from that merchant

holy fuck this game is incredible. just bought it and I'm wanting to play more. xbox 360 controller button overlays over an interactive area and in-game menus. yeah I wanted a PC and I got it. ( I have a 360 too btw)

Before I even bought the game I had the mindset "oh its their first pc game so its okay" now after buying the game.... they will see my money again.

:p

I can't for the life of me get past that damn wolf. any one got any pointers for a melee approach. i know you have to stand under him but he jumps around like demented frog, and his swipe seems to have a bit of a random hit box.

I can't for the life of me get past that damn wolf. any one got any pointers for a melee approach. i know you have to stand under him but he jumps around like demented frog, and his swipe seems to have a bit of a random hit box.

Get the Eagle Shield and you can block him like a boss.

now I'm thinking about going back to the tower where I rang the first bell in order to buy more Purging Stones from that merchant

I'm glad I went back...I also stopped by Andre the blacksmith who collected one of my large embers...going back through earlier levels is much easier once you level up and get some decent armor/weapons...I remember when I first ran into those black knights at the Parish I thought they were really tough...now they're 2 hit kills for me

I'm glad I went back...I also stopped by Andre the blacksmith who collected one of my large embers...going back through earlier levels is much easier once you level up and get some decent armor/weapons...I remember when I first ran into those black knights at the Parish I thought they were really tough...now they're 2 hit kills for me

Those are Balder Knights. The Black Knights are the nastier big guys, one being on top of the tower near the red dragon.

Maybe you should grab the undead asylum key from near the crows nest in Firelink and head back to the asylum to see what's changed ;)

Maybe you should grab the undead asylum key from near the crows nest in Firelink and head back to the asylum to see what's changed ;)

cool tip...I think I'll do that

one really annoying aspect of the controls is that whenever I auto lock onto an enemy to attack, sometimes it automatically switches off to another enemy nearby forcing me to get hit by the first enemy...very annoying...also the rag doll physics are kinda whacky as dead bodies always seem to get caught underneath my feet and I end up dragging them

anyone else experiencing frame rate drops when they are in the water?...in the Depths I could see it drop whenever I was in any water area

You can turn off auto-lock on in the options.

Rag doll physics were the same in Demon's Souls, a little game people played was try to carry a corpse around the entire level. :)

cool tip...I think I'll do that

one really annoying aspect of the controls is that whenever I auto lock onto an enemy to attack, sometimes it automatically switches off to another enemy nearby forcing me to get hit by the first enemy...very annoying...also the rag doll physics are kinda whacky as dead bodies always seem to get caught underneath my feet and I end up dragging them

anyone else experiencing frame rate drops when they are in the water?...in the Depths I could see it drop whenever I was in any water area

I haven't been to the Depths yet, but saw no framerate loss in Blight Town even when heading towards the boss wading through the muck. Maybe it feels that way because it slows you down physically? I'm using the Iron ring currently, so wading doesn't hinder my movement.

Put it on your item bar, select it then press the item button.

yeah, I get the throw, it plops in front of you. how do you throw it far

I guess you're talking about firebombs? Those don't go that far, more of a lob. Lock on target to get a little more reach out of it. Things like knives go further, but are somewhat useless.

Those are Balder Knights. The Black Knights are the nastier big guys, one being on top of the tower near the red dragon.

thanks, didn't realize the Black Knights were a different type...I was feeling confident so I engaged 1 at the Undead Burge...big mistake...either way I found that they can't climb up ladders so I climb up and lob Firebombs at them :D

You can turn off auto-lock on in the options.

when I first started I found auto lock to be quite helpful but now that I'm more experienced it is easier to not use it...although it does help to lock on at times when backtracking as your shield stays up in defense versus your back being exposed to the enemy

are Covenants only for online multiplayer or is there a benefit to joining them for the single player campaign?

are Covenants only for online multiplayer or is there a benefit to joining them for the single player campaign?

Depends on the covenant, but most have rewards and questlines for single player. Some have multiplayer focused rewards and quests.

Which are you looking to join?

Depends on the covenant, but most have rewards and questlines for single player. Some have multiplayer focused rewards and quests.

Which are you looking to join?

I think I only ran into 1 so far, the guy at Firelink Shrine but I didn't join...so I guess a better question would be which is the best one to join for the single player rewards?

I think I only ran into 1 so far, the guy at Firelink Shrine but I didn't join...so I guess a better question would be which is the best one to join for the single player rewards?

Depends on what rewards you think are worth it. Some give pretty powerful Pyromancy spells, some give armor sets or weapons etc. Some will ask you to do "evil" things, which you may regret.

There are some spoilers here -

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

I'm having a difficult time making progress. level 15 warrior, with +1 balder armor and starting broadsword. Everywhere I seem to go I get killed. The church (mobbed), the forest(ice monsters and hydra) , I have nowhere left to go and it seems that larger enemies can 1 shot me even if im blocking, I have no chance. Any tips for teh noob?

I'm having a difficult time making progress. level 15 warrior, with +1 balder armor and starting broadsword. Everywhere I seem to go I get killed. The church (mobbed), the forest(ice monsters and hydra) , I have nowhere left to go and it seems that larger enemies can 1 shot me even if im blocking, I have no chance. Any tips for teh noob?

A stable shield and some armor with +poise? The best thing to do would be to pick up a Heater Shield first thing in Undead Burg. This should last you until you can get a Black Knight Shield or Eagle Shield. You should find a better weapon and upgrade it at the blacksmith before taking on too many levels. Gear upgrades have more benefit than leveling most of the time. Stuff shouldn'y really be one shotting you as a warrior outside of Havel and a couple other bastards.

FROM software was very clear early on that this game was going to be a direct port with absolutely zero visual improvements. Did those of you complaining, not believe them?

I'm also a Dark Souls rookie and it was very tough in the beginning even against 'normal' enemies but eventually you grow, upgrade, learn and become a master...I almost gave up during the Capra Demon boss fight...I think it took me until after that fight to feel totally comfortable with all the facets of the game...now I'm kicking everyone's ass

follow this route to make things easier- Undead Asylum, Firelink Shrine, Undead Burg, Undead Parish, Depths

I said it in an earlier post but your shield is your lifeline early on...watch your stamina...to make things even easier shoot the tail off the dragon on the bridge and get the Drake Sword...it will make your life easier in the beginning of the game...also hoard a lot of Firebombs...and go for an enemy's back to get easy kills

Last edited:
Back