Dark Souls is on Steam

I've noticed that the dsfix mod interferes with the lens flare effect. I have a screenshot without dsfix showcasing the lensflare and then a screenshot with dsfix showing the missing effect.

I would take a missing lens flare over muddy low-res graphics :D

as a Dark Souls rookie I think the game is good it's also not a game for everybody...it fact I really think the game is for a small percentage of people...even without the PC issues it's a niche game which can be appreciated but is also too sadistic for even hard core gamers...I think I spent 5+ hours trying to get past 1 goup of enemies (the black knights and mage at the church)

I'm up to the end of the Undead Parish level and a few tips for people who are frustrated...learn enemy tactics...always look for shortcuts (you might think that the Bonfires are spaced too far apart but search your surroundings carefully)...load up on Firebombs to make life easier (I mean literally as many as you can carry)...invest in or find a good shield (I think the shield might actually be more important then what weapon you are carrying)

Is it me or does this game not have 5.1 sound? Anybody notice this game only uses stereo sound?
Dark Souls actually (which is a miracle) supports PROPER 7.1 surround. No bass re-direction necessary. Many PC games don't even support subwoofer/LFE channel and here we're dealing with a straight console port that does what many PC games don't (use the subwoofer channel without having to force bass re-direction in Windows). I'm impressed.

I'm using an X-Fi with 7.1 analog connection to my receiver. Are you using an optical cable without Dolby Digital Live or have you made sure your speakers are set to 5.1 in Windows playback devices?

Dark Souls actually (which is a miracle) supports PROPER 7.1 surround. No bass re-direction necessary. Many PC games don't even support subwoofer/LFE channel and here we're dealing with a straight console port that does what many PC games don't (use the subwoofer channel without having to force bass re-direction in Windows). I'm impressed.

I'm using an X-Fi with 7.1 analog connection to my receiver. Are you using an optical cable without Dolby Digital Live or have you made sure your speakers are set to 5.1 in Windows playback devices?

I am using an optical cable with Dolby Digital Live and my speakers are set to 5.1.

Actually never mind, I toggled the creative audio mode from game to entertainment and back to game again. Now surround sound works. These creative drivers seem kinda wonky.

why is your character naked

seems like attacking bosses from the back is their weakness so I needed some speed and quickness to get around them...helped me defeat the first few bosses without too much trouble so I decided to stay naked...but I do have some armor I put on now...bulls head is cool

Ahh okay, yeah it's definitely viable, but later on you won't be able to take a single hit, so practice those dodges.

And good luck with the Gargoyles!

Couldn't get into this, and I loved Demon souls.

Then I figured out I can just plug my PS3 controller in my computer, now its great.

I'm using my ps3 controller as well. Keyboard/mouse isn't even a possibility imo.

Anyone fought the Stray Demon yet? He was even more nasty than I remember on playstation.

Capra Demon keeps kicking my ass...I know I need to make it to the stairs but the guy hammers me as soon as I walk in...and when I roll out of the way his dogs attack...PITA

too bad I can't summon help from an NPC like with the Gargoyles...that guy was a lot of help...so the NPC's can only help in certain fights?

Last edited:
Get the dark wood grain ring and roll very quickly to the stairs and take out the dogs. Drop down, get some damage in and run back up the stairs. Rinse repeat.

Get the dark wood grain ring and roll very quickly to the stairs and take out the dogs. Drop down, get some damage in and run back up the stairs. Rinse repeat.

I did a Google search to find out more about this ring...

"this ring has been nerfed in the Prepare To Die edition (PC), as ninja flips now can only be performed when your equip weight is 25% or below, and has no effect for above 25%"

Capra Demon keeps kicking my ass...I know I need to make it to the stairs but the guy hammers me as soon as I walk in...and when I roll out of the way his dogs attack...PITA

too bad I can't summon help from an NPC like with the Gargoyles...that guy was a lot of help...so the NPC's can only help in certain fights?

Yes, and you can only summon NPC's/other players in human form.

That's one of the things I'm ambivalent about, though. It really trivializes certain fights and removes most of the challenge, but on the other hand there's if you really can't beat a boss on your own no matter how much you try, then at least you have a helping hand.
I would have preferred if they made bosses much tougher in multiplayer... hopefully for the next game.

As for Capra Demon... you do need to run up the stairs as soon as you zone in the boss room. Once you kill the dogs the fight isn't too difficult, all of his attacks are blockable.

I did a Google search to find out more about this ring...

"this ring has been nerfed in the Prepare To Die edition (PC), as ninja flips now can only be performed when your equip weight is 25% or below, and has no effect for above 25%"

Yep, they did nerf it. If you don't get hit though you won't miss the armor situationally. :p

It

Does

Not

Matter.

It's an awful port. We get that you love the game and you love what From created, but they did a shitty job here. We can argue back and forth on whether it's inexperience or not (which, for a lot of these things, I don't think has anything to do with inexperience) but the end result is a really bad port that doesn't function unless you have a 360 controller. Now, the game they made is great but what we are judging is the port experience.

If you want evidence of how lazy it is, look at Durante's explanation of what the renderer is doing with the resolutions. What he did is not a complicated fix and it doesn't take much specialty. Do Japanese keyboards not have number keys (hint: they do) and that's why you can't bind them?

This was a post I saw on eurogamer, ''It is utterly staggering that people are so hung up on trivial technical bullshit as to entirely overlook the innumerable virtues of Dark Souls and its genius developer. Is this inexplicable obsession over resolutions and aliasing and occlusion some kind of neurotic compulsion? I don't get it.''

My 2cent: get over it!!

I ended up getting the Stray Demon down to about 5% life last night then had a spaz moment and rolled in front of him. I think I need a weapon upgrade because that fight takes a long time!

This was a post I saw on eurogamer, ''It is utterly staggering that people are so hung up on trivial technical bullshit as to entirely overlook the innumerable virtues of Dark Souls and its genius developer. Is this inexplicable obsession over resolutions and aliasing and occlusion some kind of neurotic compulsion? I don't get it.''

My 2cent: get over it!!
You're paying for a product bro. It wasn't free. If you feel the game experience is worth $40 than great, but other people may feel that the level of effort they put forth for the money you are spending is not a great value. When you are paying for a product, particularly a PC game, it should work out of the box with the features we expect. Imagine if you bought this game and don't have a PC controller? Not everyone does. I played through Dragon Age, all the Mass Effect games, The Witcher1/2, etc with just kb+m, and they all functioned more or less correctly with that setup. From what I am reading here, playing this game without a controller is borderline impossible, barring the player being a sadomasochist.

They had a decent amount of time to make the port, and given that even the community fixes already available took under <1 day to implement, the fact that the original developers with full access to the source code didn't bother to fix them implies laziness.

None of this implies that the game itself is BAD - I remember Gothic 1 had miserable controls and I still loved that game - but it does mean that people who are not savvy enough to download community mods or who do not have a controller available to them will be getting a shitty experience, and I don't fault people for pointing that out.

KB/M isn't borderline impossible. I went back to see if I could get used to it and was able to kill the Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, about 5 black knights and everything in between. I got a little frustrated with Havel and Capra trying not to exploit, but they'd be doable too. I switched to controller for them as it was getting late and I was tired. Not impossible, but not ideal.

The major issues are not being able to bind a few keys and mouse buttons, jittery mouselook and menu button context.

Luckily the game is really fun and very stable. Blight town was a solid 30fps, even wading in the muck. No bugs. The resolution fix works superbly. Best game I've played in a while.

KB/M isn't borderline impossible. I went back to see if I could get used to it and was able to kill the Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, about 5 black knights and everything in between. I got a little frustrated with Havel and Capra trying not to exploit, but they'd be doable too. I switched to controller for them as it was getting late and I was tired. Not impossible, but not ideal.

The major issues are not being able to bind a few keys and mouse buttons, jittery mouselook and menu button context.

Luckily the game is really fun and very stable. Blight town was a solid 30fps, even wading in the muck. No bugs. The resolution fix works superbly. Best game I've played in a while.
I guess it's all dependent on how tolerant you are, I've heard mostly negative feedback about the controls but I haven't played the game yet. I have a 360 controller so it doesn't matter to me.

You're paying for a product bro. It wasn't free. If you feel the game experience is worth $40 than great, but other people may feel that the level of effort they put forth for the money you are spending is not a great value. When you are paying for a product, particularly a PC game, it should work out of the box with the features we expect. Imagine if you bought this game and don't have a PC controller? Not everyone does. I played through Dragon Age, all the Mass Effect games, The Witcher1/2, etc with just kb+m, and they all functioned more or less correctly with that setup. From what I am reading here, playing this game without a controller is borderline impossible, barring the player being a sadomasochist.

They had a decent amount of time to make the port, and given that even the community fixes already available took under <1 day to implement, the fact that the original developers with full access to the source code didn't bother to fix them implies laziness.

None of this implies that the game itself is BAD - I remember Gothic 1 had miserable controls and I still loved that game - but it does mean that people who are not savvy enough to download community mods or who do not have a controller available to them will be getting a shitty experience, and I don't fault people for pointing that out.

Decent time? Maybe if they were a studio with vast PC experience and working on a game and engine that was always intended to be ported to the PC. However none of those three things are true. From has zero PC experience and they never planned to port the game. From came right out and said that they underestimated PC development and were having problems. Modders have more experience working on the PC then anyone that did the port.

Edit: Doing a little research it looks like the engine they used (PhyreEngine) is a multiplatform engine.

Last edited:
I guess it's all dependent on how tolerant you are, I've heard mostly negative feedback about the controls but I haven't played the game yet. I have a 360 controller so it doesn't matter to me.

I'd classify it as significantly worse than controller, but not unplayable. If those things I mentioned were fixed, it would only be somewhat worse than using a controller.

I may try another button config tonight to see if it helps, but I'll probably be playing with the controller most of the time. The dodging/parry/riposte stuff is best done that way.

KB/M is more then capable in this game as I've been using it...it's not ideal as mouse sensitivity and lack of mapping options are not the best but like the game itself requires getting used to...killing non-boss enemies is actually perfect and I only really have an issue when fighting certain opponents which require more precise movements

I use the arrow keys for movement...right shift for roll...right ctrl for left hand weapons...numpad 0 for use...numpad 6 to switch right hand weapons...numpad 2 to switch usable items...and the middle mouse defaults to lock/aim etc...the point is to group them as close as possible to your movement keys to make them easy to reach

Last edited:
KB/M is more then capable in this game as I've been using it...it's not ideal as mouse sensitivity and lack of mapping options are not the best but like the game itself requires getting used to...killing non-boss enemies is actually perfect and I only really have an issue when fighting certain opponents which require more precise movements

Wouldn't it be possible to set your mouse buttons in setpoint or something similar as like... Mouse 4 = Num0, etc. and then in game set the move you're after to Num0?

-> I use the arrow keys for movement...right shift for roll...right ctrl for left hand weapons...numpad 0 for use...numpad 6 to switch right hand weapons...numpad 6 to switch right handed weapons...and the middle mouse defaults to lock/aim etc...the point is to group them as close as possible to your movement keys to make them easy to reach

I actually play similar that normally in other games. I'll try it out tonight and see if it is better. WASD is tough on my ring finger when using L Shift to block..

Wouldn't it be possible to set your mouse buttons in setpoint or something similar as like... Mouse 4 = Num0, etc. and then in game set the move you're after to Num0?

probably but I've gotten it to a point where the controls feel good to me

I actually play similar that normally in other games. I'll try it out tonight and see if it is better. WASD is tough on my ring finger when using L Shift to block..

I never use WSAD for movement in any game...like you said it makes reaching for other keys a pain...the arrow keys are perfect for movement as they are grouped by themselves and you can re-map other keys around them easier

in Dark Souls I use left handed shield block a lot (many times at the same time as arrow movement) so that's why right Ctrl is ideal as you can use your pinky finger for it at the same time as moving around

Decent time? Maybe if they were a studio with vast PC experience and working on a game and engine that was always intended to be ported to the PC. However none of those three things are true. From has zero PC experience and they never planned to port the game. From came right out and said that they underestimated PC development and were having problems. Modders have more experience working on the PC then anyone that did the port.

Edit: Doing a little research it looks like the engine they used (PhyreEngine) is a multiplatform engine.
Then pay someone to do the job right? Or ask? Research it? You realize the resolution fix was developed over the course of a weekend by a hobbyist without access to the source code, and finalized in 23 minutes after the game was released? There is no excuse for a team of developers with months of time and access to the source code to not be able to implement at least that.

Then pay someone to do the job right? Or ask? Research it? You realize the resolution fix was developed over the course of a weekend by a hobbyist without access to the source code, and finalized in 23 minutes after the game was released? There is no excuse for a team of developers with months of time and access to the source code to not be able to implement at least that.

Ask who? It's not like Japan is the mecha of PC game development. As for getting another studio. From was burned badly with Ninja Blade. Can't blame them for not wanting to outsource again.

Ask who? It's not like Japan is the mecha of PC game development. As for getting another studio. From was burned badly with Ninja Blade. Can't blame them for not wanting to outsource again.
If they knew enough to port the executable from running on the Xbox to the PC architecture under DirectX, then developing the fix for the resolution should have been fairly trivial.

If they knew enough to port the executable from running on the Xbox to the PC architecture under DirectX, then developing the fix for the resolution should have been fairly trivial.

If they do another PC title maybe it'll end up better since they have some experience now and this was really only a test to see how it would do. I wonder how big of a team they put on it.

Their next title better be multiplatform, this is actually selling pretty well on PC.

Back