Dark Souls is on Steam

does the dsfix ini file custom resolution need to be a multiple of your current monitor's aspect ratio?...meaning I have a 16:10 monitor with a native res of 1920 x 1200...does the custom file need to be a multiple of 16:10?...so for example 2560 x 1600?...the default resolution of that ini file is 2560 x 1440 (16:9)

as far as the game, I'm really liking it more and more with the patch installed and after getting familiar with the layout and mechanics...are those messages on the ground which alert you to upcoming enemies, traps etc left by the developers or by other players?...since I'm not playing online it has to be by the devs right, but there are so many of them

does the dsfix ini file custom resolution need to be a multiple of your current monitor's aspect ratio?...meaning I have a 16:10 monitor with a native res of 1920 x 1200...does the custom file need to be a multiple of 16:10?...so for example 2560 x 1600?...the default resolution of that ini file is 2560 x 1440 (16:9)

as far as the game, I'm really liking it more and more with the patch installed and after getting familiar with the layout and mechanics...are those messages on the ground which alert you to upcoming enemies, traps etc left by the developers or by other players?...since I'm not playing online it has to be by the devs right, bt there are so many of them

It isn't aspect locked, but it's best to use the correct aspect ratio. So, use multiples.

Messages can be from both devs and players. Dev messages are usually more common early on, or pointing out things that become obvious later. Player messages can actually be very very helpful. You'll find treasure you never would on your own and avoid some pretty serious dangers sometimes. Both player and dev messages will look the same, so it's hard to tell. Some player messages will also intentionally try to steer you in the wrong direction or put you in danger...

Some player messages will also intentionally try to steer you in the wrong direction or put you in danger...

really?...that's crazy...the game is challenging enough without people intentionally trying to get you killed...how would I post a message for other players?

You may never encounter one, it all depends on what information (and from who) the servers are feeding you. I don't typically read every one of them, but I am familiar with about the first half of the game. Each comment can be rated, so look for comments that are highly rated. If you're not sure about a comment and it has a very low rating, you might avoid following it. Gotta go with your gut :)

Orange guidance soapstones can be used to write and rate messages.

gotta love the modding community...wow the resolution fix made a HUGE difference...check out these before/after pictures I took...the game is still not (nor ever will be) a graphics showcase but it is much better now...a major reason why PC gaming will always be king over consoles!

oops, never mind, I have it working now. I had the resolution set to 1280x720 in the in-game menu. Changed it to 1920x1080 and now everything seems to be normal.

I'm assuming you used the Master Key to unlock that door. Havel is not meant to be fought until after the 3rd boss or so (not counting the tutorial boss).

That said, he will always 1-shot you. He is there to teach you about dodging.

Havel is a pain but once you get good at dodging his attacks he's not too hard.

He drop sa sweet weapon/armor, but you will need a LOT of strength/stamina to use them.

gotta love the modding community...wow the resolution fix made a HUGE difference...check out these before/after pictures I took...the game is still not (nor ever will be) a graphics showcase but it is much better now...a major reason why PC gaming will always be king over consoles!

It's almost embarrassing that the game was released like this. I remember how excited the PC community was to learn that a simple show of hands was enough to make this game happen. It's a shame that it is such a shoddy port. It may be a great game, but stuff like this isn't acceptable.

Havel is a pain but once you get good at dodging his attacks he's not too hard.

He drop sa sweet weapon/armor, but you will need a LOT of strength/stamina to use them.

Actually Havel doesn't drop his armor, only his ring which is still amazing (but required to wear any of his armor pieces!)

Actually Havel doesn't drop his armor, only his ring which is still amazing (but required to wear any of his armor pieces!)

Oh my bad, I remember something dropping Havels armor in the game and his weapon (Dragon tooth), assumed it was him lol, been a while since I played it on my 360.

His ring gives you something to do with str/carrying right?

I'm assuming you used the Master Key to unlock that door.

He drops a sweet weapon/armor, but you will need a LOT of strength/stamina to use them.

yup I'm playing as a Sorceror and I chose the Master Key as my 'gift'...I think it could be useful as I don't have to go hunting for every door key...I did hear the developers mention that it would be best to choose the Pendant as your gift as it apparently unlocks something special in the game

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy defeating Havel by stripping off all his armor and fighting him half naked in order to maximize stamina :D

Game seems good so far and the performance is surprisingly good (I'm playing it with the resolution fix at 1920*1080 on only a HD4650 and getting a smooth frame rate). I just wish that the game was more tactical and less grindy but its still a lot of fun, better than any other action rpg that I've played in a long time.

yup I'm playing as a Sorceror and I chose the Master Key as my 'gift'...I think it could be useful as I don't have to go hunting for every door key...I did hear the developers mention that it would be best to choose the Pendant as your gift as it apparently unlocks something special in the game

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy defeating Havel by stripping off all his armor and fighting him half naked in order to maximize stamina :D

Yeah, that pendant thing was a load of crap :)

The master key is the best simply for being able to get to blighttown from the top IMO.

Black firebombs are also cool since you can 2 shot the tutorial boss before you get your weapons :p

Game seems good so far and the performance is surprisingly good (I'm playing it with the resolution fix at 1920*1080 on only a HD4650 and getting a smooth frame rate). I just wish that the game was more tactical and less grindy but its still a lot of fun, better than any other action rpg that I've played in a long time.

It's not grindy at all, many people beat the game at Soul Level 1. If you feel like you need to grind to beat a particular boss, then you aren't approaching the encounter correctly.

yup I'm playing as a Sorceror and I chose the Master Key as my 'gift'...I think it could be useful as I don't have to go hunting for every door key...

You don't really have to go "hunting" for those door keys though, they just come to you naturally as you progress. The Master Key's main advantage is skipping directly to Blighttown, something which you probably shouldn't do on your first playthrough.

when I die and re-enter at my last Bonfire do all non-boss lower level enemies in the entire game respawn or just the enemies in the area of my last Bonfire?

I just finished off the Taurus Demon after many attempts...luckily backtracking through the level again with respawned enemies isn't that bad of a chore as it sounds as you usually know the fastest way back to where you want to go...usually takes me around 7 minutes to get back to the boss area after dying...plus the lower level undead aren't that tough

when I die and re-enter at my last Bonfire do all non-boss lower level enemies in the entire game respawn or just the enemies in the area of my last Bonfire?

I just finished off the Taurus Demon after many attempts...luckily backtracking through the level again with respawned enemies isn't that bad of a chore as it sounds as you usually know the fastest way back to where you want to go...usually takes me around 7 minutes to get back to the boss area after dying...plus the lower level undead aren't that tough

Whole game

Whole game

that's ridiculous...looks like the developers don't want you to be able to go back to places you previously visited as no one is going to survive the entire game without dying...although as long as the bosses stay dead it might not be too bad

that's ridiculous...looks like the developers don't want you to be able to go back to places you previously visited as no one is going to survive the entire game without dying...although as long as the bosses stay dead it might not be too bad

It's not as bad as you make it sound, you eventually learn their patterns or become powerful enough to just smite them without thought. This game is pretty unforgiving, but fair and fun.

Polonyc I hate to keep saying this but you need to just play the game. You are barely past the tutorial stages and haven't even reached the first real boss.

Like for your current concern, you'll soon realize that the world isn't linear and there are many shortcuts to other areas and Firelink, so you don't have to go through the entire game just to reach a specific area. In fact, there's always a shortcut to unlock right before a major boss for this very reason.

Really enjoying this game, rolled a thief and went and got Astora's sword, and made short work of the Taurus Demon, gonna tackle the gargoyles later on today.

The port isn't so bad imo, game looks a lot better on a PC than it did on a ps3. Get random slow downs though, experienced it twice in a few hours of play.

It's not as bad as you make it sound, you eventually learn their patterns or become powerful enough to just smite them without thought. This game is pretty unforgiving, but fair and fun.

The game is unforgiving for the impatient. There were many times I died running back to a boss because I became impatient trying to rush back to a boss and skipping mobs I shouldnt skip.

The game is also unforging for the unlearned. It will become easier to navigate as you learn enemy movements and attack patterns. Brute forcing through mobs without learning how they attack will get very tough and annoying if you have to reclear through some areas.

There are shortcuts to most areas.

damn so those 2 bosses I killed so far weren't even 'real' bosses...I was starting to feel confident :eek:

The bosses later on do get much harder, but by that time you will have learned all sorts of tricks and found lots of helpful items. There are tools and tactics that make each boss a lot easier. Sometimes something like switching from fire damage to something else can make the difference between 4 deaths and no deaths.

The bosses later on do get much harder, but by that time you will have learned all sorts of tricks and found lots of helpful items. There are tools and tactics that make each boss a lot easier. Sometimes something like switching from fire damage to something else can make the difference between 4 deaths and no deaths.

The Bell Tower Gargoyles though, is where people either quit forever or decide its the best game ever.

Oh what's the AMD fix so my game isn't stuck at 15 fps 100% of the time? I believe I read that something in the drivers makes the card run at 1/2 speed when playing Dark Souls.

Really? I've been playing on a 7970 and 6990M and haven't noticed that. 12.8 Cats btw.

edit: fwiw, there's this: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition#ATI.2FAMD_Low_Performance

OMG that Durante guy is pretty damn good! The new .4 version of his resolution fix allows for Depth of Field adjustments and more.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=114

Might have to PayPal him something soon just to say thank you.

Wow that's awesome, I was wondering whether he would be able to fix that or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or does this game not have 5.1 sound? Anybody notice this game only uses stereo sound?

The Bell Tower Gargoyles though, is where people either quit forever or decide its the best game ever.

One of my favorites!

Honestly, depending on your build, not being afraid of monters and bosses is one of the best strategies. Not overconfident. With a dex based character using spear + heater shield, I was able to tank the Tauraus demon using only 1 estus flask, first try. Most people try to keep very far away from him. I just stayed on the lower bridge area and treated him like a medium threat monster.

Last edited:
Just started playing this a little yesterday. I think I'm missing something or maybe I'm just one of those people who might not like this game.
Looking past the graphics and slowness, what am I supposed to be doing? It's kind of like Myst with enemies that kill you in 2 hits.
I'm at the very first main open area with an option to go up or down, but everything except those zombies kill me in 1-2 hits. Am I supposed to stand and fight or run? I can't tell if I'm hurting those ghosts at the bottom, and those skeletons at the top seem to surround me. I went another way and there was a dragon blocking my path. I like the open-ness of it, but I guess I'm just not sure if they're intending me to go one way by making unkillable enemies (a la new Vegas) or if I'm just missing something.

Also - is there some kind of plot/instruction manual?

Just started playing this a little yesterday. I think I'm missing something or maybe I'm just one of those people who might not like this game.
Looking past the graphics and slowness, what am I supposed to be doing? It's kind of like Myst with enemies that kill you in 2 hits.
I'm at the very first main open area with an option to go up or down, but everything except those zombies kill me in 1-2 hits. Am I supposed to stand and fight or run? I can't tell if I'm hurting those ghosts at the bottom, and those skeletons at the top seem to surround me. I went another way and there was a dragon blocking my path. I like the open-ness of it, but I guess I'm just not sure if they're intending me to go one way by making unkillable enemies (a la new Vegas) or if I'm just missing something.

When the game first came out on consoles I had the same issue: There is another path. At Firelink, facing the ruins, investigate areas between 3 and 6 o'clock.

Skip skeletons and go up the cliffs to undead burg. There is a story, you'll learn it as you go.

I've noticed that the dsfix mod interferes with the lens flare effect. I have a screenshot without dsfix showcasing the lensflare and then a screenshot with dsfix showing the missing effect.

287dv6u.jpg

25z2gxs.jpg

Back