Dark Souls is on Steam

the shortcut is uptop, its the cages in the middle that goes town.. on your way up the tower to the "flaming boulder thrower" there is a cage.. jump in it and you open it up (its almost exactly like the elevators between undead parish and the firelink

I found this last night. Thanks for the pointer--i wouldn't have noticed these, even though they were right in front of my face lol

illusory wall down below where the 4 Titanite Demons are
I didn't go down to look for this but this'll be my next thing to check out.

Beat the Iron Golem last night. He was easier than I expected. Still died a few times figuring some shit out, but emerged victorious! Anor Londo here I come... the scale of this place is massive. I haven't done very much (only killed 3 knights or w/e), but i did notice that there's a gargoyle in my path. Excited to be fighting fewer but bigger guys.

Beat the Iron Golem last night. He was easier than I expected. Still died a few times figuring some shit out, but emerged victorious! Anor Londo here I come... the scale of this place is massive. I haven't done very much (only killed 3 knights or w/e), but i did notice that there's a gargoyle in my path. Excited to be fighting fewer but bigger guys.

Iron Golem is annoying only because he can easily knock you off that tower if you aren't careful and watch your surroundings...I like to use NPC summoner Black Iron Tarkus just to make the fight go quick...like most of the NPC summoners he does most of the work :p

Don't crack when you get to the archers. ha ha ha

Despair.... Despair, everywhere...

OH, and I HAVE been up that illusory wall in Sen's.
Went up there last night, and remembered. Totally forgot about it...

Just bought this because I've been in the mood for some fantasy rpg action... dreading getting GFWL working though.

Just bought this because I've been in the mood for some fantasy rpg action... dreading getting GFWL working though.

Its really not that bad. I had no issues anyway.

You'll want to get dsfix and dsmfix if you are using mouse and keyboard. The game has excellent controller support if you have a 360 controller.

Prepare to die!

Last edited:
Got to the third bonfire in Anor Londo. The second I reversed my hollowing to kindle I got invaded. Fucker backstabs me for a one-shot ko. I wish pvp took longer so there is an actual fight.

Got to the third bonfire in Anor Londo. The second I reversed my hollowing to kindle I got invaded. Fucker backstabs me for a one-shot ko. I wish pvp took longer so there is an actual fight.

The idea of Backstabs are great.
The lag completely ruins back stabs however.
Thus I wish they'd do away with backstabs.

good example of what I am talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgo-trRpVo

Last edited:
The lad completely ruins back stabs however.
Thus I wish they'd do away with backstabs

sometimes I can't tell if the guy is a hacker or if it's lag...the opponent can be a short distance away from me yet magically appears behind me the next second for a backstab

The lad completely ruins back stabs however.
Thus I wish they'd do away with backstabs.

good example of what I am talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgo-trRpVo

Yea that's just nonsense.

I have yet to have a fun PvP experience in this game. I think it's only fun for the invaders catching people off guard with their maxed out equipment, buffs on their weapons, bah.

Big summon/PVP spot, that bonfire.

So you found the 2nd bonfire... join the darkmoon?
Invade the guilty, lots of fun. But yeah, bonfire 3 is super easy to summon(or invade) people at.

Yea that's just nonsense.

I have yet to have a fun PvP experience in this game. I think it's only fun for the invaders catching people off guard with their maxed out equipment, buffs on their weapons, bah.

I've had a blast PvPing on PC dark souls the lag is much better then PS3 DS2.

I've also had a blast PvPing on console as well. The lag sucks but the game is so fun it makes up for it. One of the worst part about the lag is you only notice the other persons lag and never your own so it always seems like the lag is benefiting the other person.

I was late to the Dark Souls party as well, and have really gotten hooked on it. Had it in my backlog for a while, and when I finally installed and it bombed out with a xlive.dll (GFWL) error and wouldn't load, I was disappointed they still hadn't patched that out. Needless to say, not interested in installing GFWL malware on my system, and its going to be shut down in a few months anyway, so I've just been playing offline with a NoCD. Xbox 360 controller has also been more enjoyable than KB/M and I immediately felt a difference in fights.

I just preordered DS2, so as I see it, if they never patch DS1 to steamworks (which would be odd seeing as the title is still selling - but then japanese developers are odd), then I'll experience PvP in DS2 and won't regret missing out on DS1's PvP. I have watched quite a few DS1 PvP videos, specifically the parrying guides, and some people are so good they really make people rage. There is quite a lot of depth to the fight mechanics, specifically that to really be good you have to learn the move sets of all the different weapons. Not sure I'll get that deeply into it but nice to know the depth is there.

I regret not jumping on this title when it was still new and my friends were playing, but DS2 will be a chance to get in on a DS title with all its intended functionality from the beginning. Remarkable, remarkable series.

Last edited:
I was late to the Dark Souls party as well, and have really gotten hooked on it. Had it in my backlog for a while, and when I finally installed and it bombed out with a GFWL error and wouldn't load, I was disappointed they still hadn't patched that out. Needless to say I refuse to install Microsoft's malware on my system, and GFWL is going to be shut down in a couple months anyway, so I've just been playing offline with a NoCD. Xbox 360 controller has also been more enjoyable than KB/M and I immediately felt a difference in fights.

I just preordered DS2, so as I see it, if they never patch DS1 to steamworks (which would be odd seeing as the title is still selling - but then japanese developers are odd), then I'll experience PvP in DS2 and won't regret missing out on DS1's PvP. I have watched quite a few DS1 PvP videos, specifically the parrying guides, and some people are so good they really make people rage. There is quite a lot of depth to the fight mechanics, specifically that to really be good you have to learn the move sets of all the different weapons. Not sure I'll get that deeply into it but nice to know the depth is there.

I regret not jumping on this title when it was still new and my friends were playing, but DS2 will be a chance to get in on a DS title with all its intended functionality from the beginning. Remarkable, remarkable series.

Getting in on the ground floor ill bet makes a huge difference for pvp. None of this twinked out nonsense going on.

if you are having a problem with pvp when you turn human then there is an easy solution. the bonfire will go out. you have a moment while it is "searching" when you can exit the game and reload it, problem solved. of course this won't help in the middle of the map, but many of the invasions start at the bonfire.

if you are having a problem with pvp when you turn human then there is an easy solution. the bonfire will go out. you have a moment while it is "searching" when you can exit the game and reload it, problem solved. of course this won't help in the middle of the map, but many of the invasions start at the bonfire.

Or have a soapsign in your inventory. If it is grayed out, you are about to get invaded.

My thing is, my first time through the game, wandering around tripping over my dick, getting one-shotted around every new corner and falling off cliffs, I don't really feel like getting PvP rolled by some dude with 300 hrs and the best gear. There's enough to deal with :) I've seen the videos on youtube, people will make specific trolling builds and show everyone else how - specific gear, specific rings, and they won't level past 30 so the game lets them invade lower level players. Later for that BS.

However once I'm in NG+ and know my way around then bring it on. I realize PvP has changed in DS2, so I probably won't worry about it 'til that game.

Last edited:
Or have a soapsign in your inventory. If it is grayed out, you are about to get invaded.
The better idea is to have a Homeward Bone, which also greys out when being invaded. The Soapstone will grey out in areas you can't use it. However, the Homeward Bone can be used anywhere at any time, so it's a more reliable indicator. Plus, you get a Homeward Bone at the beginning of the game in Firelink, while you have to meet with Solaire to get the Soapstone.

you don't need soapstones or bones to know of potential invasions...just look around you...if non-boss areas are blocked off by fog gates then someone might be trying to invade... :cool: :eek:

My thing is, my first time through the game, wandering around tripping over my dick, getting one-shotted around every new corner and falling off cliffs, I don't really feel like getting PvP rolled by some dude with 300 hrs and the best gear. There's enough to deal with :) I've seen the videos on youtube, people will make specific trolling builds and show everyone else how - specific gear, specific rings, and they won't level past 30 so the game lets them invade lower level players. Later for that BS.

However once I'm in NG+ and know my way around then bring it on. I realize PvP has changed in DS2, so I probably won't worry about it 'til that game.

Exactly. Its not that I want to skip pvp, I just want to pvp with people on my level, but it seems everyone who invades has min/maxed everything to get the highest possible advantage. I'm just a noob trying to beat the game for the first time. Every time I've been invaded the phantom always has a full set of some gear I've never seen and a buff on their weapon.

Exactly. Its not that I want to skip pvp, I just want to pvp with people on my level, but it seems everyone who invades has min/maxed everything to get the highest possible advantage. I'm just a noob trying to beat the game for the first time. Every time I've been invaded the phantom always has a full set of some gear I've never seen and a buff on their weapon.

If you have been playing this game for awhile pvp gets really unbalanced and really isn't much fun anymore. To fix that I sometimes dual people without the use of magic buffs but I still use power within as it's extremely useful. I sometimes lose that way but if I play a magic user I almost never lose as magic is extremely powerful if used correctly even if you just use it to buff your weapons. I just replayed the game with a new character and it took me 15 hours of course a lot of that time was grinding so I maxed out my gear for new game plus because I'm going to beat the game as many times as I can with the same character over and over again before Dark Souls II comes out. If you get good at the game a single run can be done in about 5 hours if you avoid level or item grinding and avoid all non essential areas. To me the real dark souls experience doesn't even really start until you get to new game plus.

If you have been playing this game for awhile pvp gets really unbalanced and really isn't much fun anymore...

I have 960 hours (according to Steam stats) and I'm still having just as much fun with pvp...of course there will be the crazy magic buff players but I find the vast majority of matches are balanced and fun...plus it's OK to lose every so often...the pvp aspect is what keeps me playing the game as the single player is too easy now

I find that Oolacile Township has the top skill players while all the other locations are much more balanced...I used to hate it when I invaded and players summoned others for help or even used the NPC's like Solaire but now I've become so good that 1v2 is actually fun and more rewarding when I beat them both...only annoying part is the hackers but I run into so few of them nowadays

Last edited:
I have 960 hours (according to Steam stats) and I'm still having just as much fun with pvp...of course there will be the crazy magic buff players but I find the vast majority of matches are balanced and fun...plus it's OK to lose every so often...the pvp aspect is what keeps me playing the game as the single player is too easy now

I find that Ooalice Township has the top skill players while all the other locations are much more balanced...I used to hate it when I invaded and players summon others for help or even use the NPC's like Solaire for help but now I've become so good that 1v2 is actually fun and more rewarding when I beat them both...only annoying part is the hackers but I run into so few of them nowadays

Are your fights usually over in one to two hits? Or does that get better when you are higher level?

Are your fights usually over in one to two hits? Or does that get better when you are higher level?

almost never over that quick...if that happens often that means the other player sucks or they have super buffed weapons...a good match lasts...plus most people 'cheat' and heal using Estus or Humanity which lengthens the time...players that use Dark Orb sorcery and those powerful shockwave moves still give me trouble

almost never over that quick...if that happens often that means the other player sucks or they have super buffed weapons...a good match lasts...plus most people 'cheat' and heal using Estus or Humanity which lengthens the time...players that use Dark Orb sorcery and those powerful shockwave moves still give me trouble

I've typically gone with gear that gives me the most physical resistance... is that why I get raped in pvp?

I've typically gone with gear that gives me the most physical resistance... is that why I get raped in pvp?

movement is the most important thing for me...a fully upgraded Silver Knight shield is my main defense (with a backup Crest shield as a backup for magic/sorcery users)...it also depends on which weapon you prefer to use...you have to mix and match to find what works best for you...most weapons/armor can be used effectively in pvp...there is no hard rule on which one is 'best'

The worst thing to do in pvp is use a slow weapon like the great club because every swing is an easy backstab. To avoid dark magic use the pendent if you know you will be going up against it a lot or if you can time it just right you can avoid it with a roll. Also if you can get a great shield and block a lot, fast weapons will help, also get power within and a pyromancy glove as every warrior should use power within. Also ring of favoritism helps a lot.

I almost never go into any pvp matches these days because I like leveling my character up past 200+ and that will cut out mostly all but the extremely experienced players (and the mostly low level dark wraith covenant players will most likely get raped in pvp from a level 200+)

Magic is annoying but if you have a shield like the cleansing shield or stone great shield it is pretty easy to gimp magic users. If your using magic yourself homing crystal orbs and crystal soul spear can kill all but the most determined players. If you want to get crazy use crystal magic weapons, + 15 claw, and power within to easily do +500 damage per hit or +300 damage per hit even if they block your attack that way you can just chip them to death and the weapon will swing far too fast for them to attack you back so the only way they stand any chance at all is if they use magic against you. At like NG+5 or higher it's pretty much impossible to take out some bosses solo unless you use magic so eventually if you want to play that long you need to plan to get pretty much all your skills up to 40 with intelligence up to 50.

From the sounds of it my spec just isn't meant for PvP. I've got like 19 vit, 26 end, 24 str, and 30 faith. I haven't needed more vitality in PvE really, since my armor mitigates so much damage. I remember someone saying that the offensive faith spells are too slow for PvP, and i'm using a Zweihander which is also very slow. Hard-hitting weapons seem to make PvE easier than the quicker ones as you can stagger many opponents if you hit them hard enough. This has made things like the ogres in blightown a piece of cake whereas before on my Uchigatana dex guy they were a pain in the ass.

From the sounds of it my spec just isn't meant for PvP. I've got like 19 vit, 26 end, 24 str, and 30 faith. I haven't needed more vitality in PvE really, since my armor mitigates so much damage. I remember someone saying that the offensive faith spells are too slow for PvP, and i'm using a Zweihander which is also very slow. Hard-hitting weapons seem to make PvE easier than the quicker ones as you can stagger many opponents if you hit them hard enough. This has made things like the ogres in blightown a piece of cake whereas before on my Uchigatana dex guy they were a pain in the ass.

Yeah vitality is super important for pvp or else magic users or backstabbers will make sort work of you. If your using Havels ring and the ring of favoritism you might also want to get the glass shield for it's stamina enhancement and wear +5 giant armor or get your intelligence up to 20 and get the great-sword of artorias (you need Sifs Soul and a +10 sword). Really equipment makes a big difference to survivabilty in pvp.

I finally beat the game on my dex character over the weekend. Now I'm in NG+ trolling the low level invaders in the undead burg. The last invader didn't fare well against my +15 great scythe buffed with sunlight blade :D

I finally beat the game on my dex character over the weekend. Now I'm in NG+ trolling the low level invaders in the undead burg. The last invader didn't fare well against my +15 great scythe buffed with sunlight blade :D

so you keep your gear when you go into NG+?

Sunlight Blade, Wrath of the Gods, Gravelord Sword Dance, Emit Force, and Force are all viable Faith spells for PvP. Lightning Spear and Great Lightning Spear are both too slow, though, but I guess could be utilized in certain situations.

Sunlight Blade, Wrath of the Gods, Gravelord Sword Dance, Emit Force, and Force are all viable Faith spells for PvP. Lightning Spear and Great Lightning Spear are both too slow, though, but I guess could be utilized in certain situations.

Aside from Force, i haven't seen any of those available to me in game yet. Totally possible i missed a vendor or something though. Currently working on getting more sunlight medals to turn in, maybe that's the key.

Aside from Force, i haven't seen any of those available to me in game yet. Totally possible i missed a vendor or something though. Currently working on getting more sunlight medals to turn in, maybe that's the key.

You can join the Darkmoon covenant (2nd bonfire) for the Darkmoon Blade miracle, but I think you need to level up first in the covenant to receive it. Your faith lvl is perfect for it.

You get Emit Force from Siegmeyer when he's at Firelink.

The ring you need to join the Darkmoon Blades is hidden in the Catacombs .

Last edited:
they are going to be catacombs/tomb of giants & anor londo related
excellent. sounds like i'm right on the cusp!
You can join the Darkmoon covenant (2nd bonfire) for the Darkmoon Blade miracle, but I think you need to level up first in the covenant to receive it. Your faith lvl is perfect for it.
Strange--If the second bonfire is the one at the bottom of the staircase elevator, I didn't see any way to join a covenant down there... but this game has a way of hiding stuff from you. The gravelord covenant i think was quite a surprise when i stumbled across that coffin lol

Completely by accident too. I got in, chuckled to myself that they'd just have a coffin to sit in. Went to grab a beer and heard noises!
You get Emit Force from Siegmeyer when he's at Firelink.

Excellent. As an aside, how on earth does everyone know the names of these people? I always have to look them up because as far as i can tell, they never tell you their names in the game.

there's an invader I see a lot on very low soul levels who likes to troll low level players...he doesn't use any weapons...just uses the Armor of Thrones and constantly rolls into the player to kill them...gotta give him credit for originality...it is funny (except the 1 time he killed me with it)

Strange--If the second bonfire is the one at the bottom of the staircase elevator, I didn't see any way to join a covenant down there... but this game has a way of hiding stuff from you. The gravelord covenant i think was quite a surprise when i stumbled across that coffin lol

Completely by accident too. I got in, chuckled to myself that they'd just have a coffin to sit in. Went to grab a beer and heard noises!

Equip the ring and walk around that room.
The secret will be revealed!

Back