Dark Souls is on Steam

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by DeathPrincess, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Log Out is the last option in the main menu, so you have to scroll all the way down. Starting in offline mode is in Network Options. This wasn't an option in the PTDE, but it is in 2, SotFS and 3.

2. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Because it wasn't in the PTDE and as far as the later games, I don't think it is in DS2 (non scholar version IIRC but then again it's been a while so I could have just missed it), and after putting steam to offline mode became my standard for turning invasions off I never even noticed the log out button was there. ;)

3. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Dark Souls Remastered gets a facelift with 'Evie's Ultra HD' texture pack

Based on the Firelink Shrine UE4 Remake that was released in March by the same creator, the mod is a work-in-progress redo of all visible textures in Dark Souls Remastered...it covers "NMaps, Height Maps and Albedo Textures for all textures within viewing distance," in native 4K and without upscaling...it is not, however, a point-for-point recreation of the original: "This retex is not [meant to] be accurate to the original game, it's created to my tastes," the mod author noted...

https://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-remastered-gets-a-facelift-with-evies-ultra-hd-texture-pack/

4. polonyc2

Patch 1.03 for Dark Souls: Remastered released on July 11, 2018
    • Improved the security against cheating during online multiplayer.
    • Fixed a bug in which players become invisible during online multiplayer.
    • Fixed a bug in which The Four Kings are not displayed properly in The Abyss.
    • Fixed a bug in which the ending comes up in Kiln of the first flame without defeating the boss when you do specific moves before the boss area.
    • Fixed a bug in which player's clear data is erroneous when the application is finished on specific conditions after defeating Gwyn, Lord of Cinder.
    • Fixed a bug in which messages are not displayed to other players on asynchronous online.
    • Fixed a bug in which session matching stops during online mode when the player fails to join the session where blocked players are playing.
    • Fixed a bug in which the number of Estus Flask possessions is not displayed properly when you return by Black Separation Crystal.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Colonel Sanders likes this.
  5. Armenius

Sorry, I don't dig the altered aesthetic. I had the same issue with "HD" mods for PTDE. Everything looks too sharp and clean.

6. polonyc2

7. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

a new dark souls mod is out, this is currently only for the PTDE (for PC) which is no longer sold, so if you don't have it, ...

polonyc2, zrikz, Lmah2x and 3 others like this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

Interesting. I'm assuming previous owners can still download the original PTDE, can't we?

9. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

yeah, it should always be in your library, just like I can play the original DS2

10. polonyc2

I just heard about this earlier today...looks like a really impressive mod...anyone try it?

11. Armenius

Honestly, from what I've read the guy just made the game hard and convoluted. Basically the antithesis of the wonderful game design the original game brought. So I have absolutely no interest in trying it.

12. polonyc2

but I love hard and convoluted :D ...right up my alley then...after playing the game for over 1000 hours it'll be nice to get a change of pace...new surprises etc...I have no time to try this out now but I'll keep an eye on it...hopefully it gets added to the Remastered version soon

13. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

The maker of the mod said he is going to port it to the remastered version but wants to make sure the PTDE is working 100% correctly before he does.

polonyc2 likes this.
  14. polonyc2

Dark Souls 'Daughters of Ash' mod now available for Remastered edition

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksoulsremastered/mods/140

chameleoneel and Lmah2x like this.
  15. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

Does the remaster version improve kb/m controls or shouold i just stick with the orignal ? Also what mod is required to make the kb/m tolerable. I tried the game a long time ago and hated the controls but I think i want to give it another try.

16. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

Have you tried a gamepad?

17. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

if you were ok with the controls of DS2/DS3 then you should be fine with this one. the original used some sort of emulator for kb/m. even with the mod there was still input lag. I found it much easier to parry in RM.

18. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

I don't use gamepad; have you tired reading the question ?

19. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

He asked if you had. He didn't claim you did.

Armenius likes this.
  20. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

This guy.

Go get a Xbox controller and enjoy the game. I was a KB/M-masterrace asshole for many years myself, felt no controller would ever touch my PC. Then Dark Souls came along and it converted me. These games were made for a controller. And pretty much every other 3rd person exploration game, I don't play with anything but controller.

You can try it out, or you can be stupid.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Armenius likes this.
  21. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Yep. I also use it for driving games since I don't have a wheel.

22. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

Well, some people like myself must be stupid. I have used controllers before, mainly to play Demon Souls because that was the only option. However I never adjusted to it. I get along fine with keyboard and mouse. It's not a matter of anything superior, it's just what I've been using the past 25 years.

23. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

I'm a gamepad snob, but I'm also a fan of using what you're comfortable with.

24. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

I'm liking Daughters of Ash so far. However, I'm not hearing any music. Even at the menu. Intentional?

25. polonyc2

I've said it 100 times...kb/m is perfectly fine with DS1, Sekiro or any of the Souls games...I have over 1000 hours in the original and have replayed the remaster a few times as well...and I kick ass with kb/m...all you need to do it remap some of the keys and you'll be fine...with the Remastered version some key functions are hard locked and can't be remapped using the game options...you need to go into the ini file and remap it there

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  26. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

-
    Statement: If i play dark soul it will be kb/m. I do not enjoy using a controller; you don't need to understand why i don't enjoy controllers. You don't need to understand if i own one or if i have ever used it. Those facts are not relevant.

Question: Did the remaster version improve kb/m controls or am I better of using mods on the original version (which I own) ?
    -
    You could contribute by noting that darksoul isn't playable with kb/m or actually have insightful information related to the question (which at least one person did). If you can't do either of these then be intelligent enough to keep quiet. Name calling just shows your colour.
    -

27. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

I think i had two major issues. First i couldn't really understand when i lacked stamia to block - i think i could only block once or twice. The other issue is i couldn't figure out how to remap the way inventory/skills worked fast enough to make it useful during combat. Specifically I remember you could assign a single key to some skills but with inventory it was really designed for a controller where you would be toggling through the list of options quickly and not kb/m where each class of item was mapped to a key.