Dark Souls Announcement

announcement reveal on main website > anything on facebook any day. I'll admit I'm curious, but I'm not touching facebook.

I hate being a minority :(

Amusing tactic. Facebook makes money by selling ads based partially on what people 'like'. If you 'like' a game they can better target you with ads for games, enhancing the value of advertising dollars spent by game companies. Things like this are a win-win for both Facebook and game studios.

sweet... I was really thinking of getting it for 360, but PC release? That's where I'm going.

You know you just used the word "better" and "kotaku" in the same post, right?

hence I said "confirmation", not confirmation. ;)

air_quotes.jpg

I wanna know what it is, but no, I shall not "like" their facebook page.

Quite excited about the possibility. I think I remember signing some random petition for this awhile ago. I had no desire to get a current gen console until I started hearing about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. How well would the controls translate to a PC? If I need to I'd probably get a 360 controller for it but I'd rather not. The only other third person action game I've played lately is TW2 and I found the controls to be quite usable.

Well I liked their facebook page, hopefully it's a PC port.

Quite excited about the possibility. I think I remember signing some random petition for this awhile ago. I had no desire to get a current gen console until I started hearing about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. How well would the controls translate to a PC? If I need to I'd probably get a 360 controller for it but I'd rather not. The only other third person action game I've played lately is TW2 and I found the controls to be quite usable.
Souls could work with a mouse/keyboard setup. There would need to be some manual way of controlling walking speed, but otherwise it would work like any other console->pc port with WASD taking over as the left analog and the mouse taking over as the right.

The movement isn't as much an issue as the need for a comfortable mapping for the two left and two right attacks. While playable, I can't see modifiers being as natural as the four shoulder buttons.

The movement isn't as much an issue as the need for a comfortable mapping for the two left and two right attacks. While playable, I can't see modifiers being as natural as the four shoulder buttons.

Yeah, I find anything that has more than 2 attacks to be a bit unwieldy on a keyboard/mouse. The natural thing is left and right click to attack, which is fine with only 2 types of attack, once you have to use your left hand to attack with keyboard buttons I find timing and control go down hill.

Yeah, I find anything that has more than 2 attacks to be a bit unwieldy on a keyboard/mouse. The natural thing is left and right click to attack, which is fine with only 2 types of attack, once you have to use your left hand to attack with keyboard buttons I find timing and control go down hill.

Bindings!!!!

WoW pulled it off just fine, imo, and there's lots more they could have/should have done with the combat to make it more action/reaction based.

I don't even have a Facebook/Twitter account, I don't understand it either...not that my family hasn't tried to get me into it.
It's just a tool, like email or a search engine. It's not like it's some kids' fad like skateboarding, Twilight, or slap bracelets (depending on your era).

But it makes it hard for the rest of us when THAT ONE GUY WHO REFUSES TO GET A FACEBOOK insists on getting his own individual email rather than just being invited to the LAN party on facebook. It's like having to mail a letter to someone because they think telephones are a fad.

Bindings!!!!

WoW pulled it off just fine, imo, and there's lots more they could have/should have done with the combat to make it more action/reaction based.

Example? You mean binding to other mouse buttons? Or to other keyboard buttons?

I've tried in other third person hack and slash games to get used to the mouse+keyboard, but as soon as there's more than 2 attacks it breaks down because though there are side buttons, they're harder to press while maintaining good mouse control to actually direct the attacks, and while you can use the keyboard, I find my little finger too weak and imprecise to use as an attack button and using any other finger reduces my WASD control and throws out my timing between left and right hand so combos that require both hands tend to suffer.

That's just me of course, others might find it no worries. :)

I don't even have a Facebook/Twitter account, I don't understand it either...not that my family hasn't tried to get me into it.

I resisted getting a facebook for a long time... ended up getting it because, guess what, a chick :p Didn't use it for a long time, but then I started adding friends to it.

Its actually a very good tool. I have a couple of mates who are photographers, one does a lot of motorsport stuff and the other does a lot of nature stuff and Facebook lets me see some of their pictures. Sure, they also have websites, but I don't go checking their websites once a week, I do however check FB once a week or so. Also works well for group invites, I found myself missing events amongst my friends because all the damned invites were going out via FB, and its honestly a good method for distributing them assuming everyone uses FB. My friends also put pictures of the various cars they're working on and the progress they're making.

I mostly just ignore the actual messages, status updates and what everyone is "liking" and just check it probably on average once or twice a week for the reasons listed above. I didn't even realise people had wished me happy birthday on it until several days after my birthday, one of my mates wisely made the comment on FB to me "I'm not going to wish you happy bday because I know you won't actually read FB", and I didn't either. :D

It's good news but I'll still prefer ps3 (at least controller via motionjoy) for this title because of the controls.

If the announcement is a PC port, would you guys be against it having combat controls like Mount and Blade?

If the announcement is a PC port, would you guys be against it having combat controls like Mount and Blade?

the melee combat of Dark Souls is imo a bit better then mount and blade. The range combat of mount and blade is far better then Dark souls though.

Mount and Blades melee combat is it's biggest weakness imo, the direction based four-attacks are just so limited, I'd much rather have a Severance style melee combat system then anything.

If they put it on PC, a lot of people are going to start using trainers and cheats and hacks to get rid of one of the things that makes this franchise special - the difficulty and having to try, try, and try again.

Also, I think the multiplayer will be a gongshow. The Xbox side of DS already has a ton of hackers who go around griefing other players by invading low level players.

If they put it on PC, a lot of people are going to start using trainers and cheats and hacks to get rid of one of the things that makes this franchise special - the difficulty and having to try, try, and try again.

Also, I think the multiplayer will be a gongshow. The Xbox side of DS already has a ton of hackers who go around griefing other players by invading low level players.

Unfortunately, this is very probable. The solutions will inevitably lie in playing offline and exercising some self-discipline - using trainers and cheats is, after all, a deliberate choice.

Last edited:
If this means I can has dark souls at 1080P and 60fps it works for me. Blighttown sucks hard on my ps3.

Bindings won't be natural. They work for WoW because of the lack of necessary precision: timing a rotation is more important than getting in a specific position, dodging the enemy, and/or perfectly timing a riposte.

Much of the difficulty of the Souls games comes from getting the timing of your attacks, counter attacks, positioning of your body, exactly right. If you simplify the battle system to work with two buttons you are changing the very nature of the game.

You also can't say to use mouse bindings, as not every mouse has side mouse buttons. Key bindings would be possible, but less natural. You've got to move your character with WASD, roll avoiding an attack, turn and position yourself, and then while doing so hit one of two other attack buttons to get your attack in. Miss the key, make a mistake, and have fun watching the "YOU DIED" screen.

The controls, after a little use, come so naturally on the PS3. This takes away the player/control factor, and forces you to be precise in your movements and attacks. Add an unnatural control scheme and people are going to be dying even more often, and the game will seem unfair in its difficulty because of the unnatural control scheme, and not simply punishingly difficult.

You'll get "I died because it was too difficult/awkward to hit the L1 attack," or "I hit L1 instead of R1" (corresponding mappings of course) instead of making a mistake in your choice of inputs. Adding a disconnect between the player and controls is going to add a layer of difficulty that, when compounded with the games punishing difficulty, is going to push the game from challenging yet fair to completely cheap and unfair because of said disconnect. Dark Souls already adds a level of cheapness in certain areas not seen in Demon's Souls; adding unnatural controls is just going to compound any problem areas.

Yeah, KB+mouse is great for when you want to have lots of keys at your disposal, not so good when you actually have to coordinate using a lot of those keys at the same time doing different tasks. I don't know what Dark Souls is like, never played it, but there's a third person melee games that are like this. When you have to position your character in a good spot, time jumps, dodges and blocks and then coordinate slow attacks/fast attacks/hand attack/leg attack/etc which use different keys, a controller starts to win out.

Though as soon as you have to aim at something, mouse is back ;)

I don't know what Dark Souls is like, never played it,
Brutal. It will force PC-centric players who think consoles are the reason games get "dumbed down" to reevaluate that assumption.

Brutal. It will force PC-centric players who think consoles are the reason games get "dumbed down" to reevaluate that assumption.

Dark Souls is nowhere near as groundbreaking as people act/think. It has one thing that sets it apart - typical enemies can kill you - meaning you mess up in any fight you will die... which is cool but not enough to hold my interest after the initial intrigue in combat. Aside from that, the fact that bonfires (save points) are few and far between to make you have to retrace your linear steps when you die over and over again until you learn levels/enemies isn't groundbreaking at all (if they didn't do this the game would be pretty short). Not to mention that a story is horrible to non-existent.

@Banyan
groundbreaking means innovative

what is your point? you telling me the game is innovative because the devs thought "let's make it so people die if they make a mistake in combat - fuck any sort of story or immersive world"... in a linear single player game? console market is largest - that market influences the industry more than anything - if games are getting dumber it is the console demographic that likely make it so, either with their wallets or their brains.

what is your point? you telling me my opinion that the game isn't very innovative or interesting is wrong?
informing you that quoting my point about it being brutal and then going on a tangent about it not being innovative is a non-sequitor.

I was talking in sense of control styles more than anything. If a game has a brutal control style then that's a negative more than anything :p Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox was brutal, but the control style was so natural, that's why it was one of my favourite games of that console.

Honestly, if Dark Souls comes out on PC, I'll buy it, maybe not full price, but I will buy it to try it out, it doesn't sound that entertaining from what people say though. Hard is good, I'm not a hard freak, but I'll usually play on the hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty in most games, however I'm not a huge fan of repeating large sections of the game and being punished to death for a mistake, it doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like tedium, that style of gameplay was great when I was 9 years old playing Battletoads and Double Dragon back in the day, not so much now :p

But I'll give it a shot, for the right price.

I was talking in sense of control styles more than anything. If a game has a brutal control style then that's a negative more than anything :p Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox was brutal, but the control style was so natural, that's why it was one of my favourite games of that console.

Honestly, if Dark Souls comes out on PC, I'll buy it, maybe not full price, but I will buy it to try it out, it doesn't sound that entertaining from what people say though. Hard is good, I'm not a hard freak, but I'll usually play on the hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty in most games, however I'm not a huge fan of repeating large sections of the game and being punished to death for a mistake, it doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like tedium, that style of gameplay was great when I was 9 years old playing Battletoads and Double Dragon back in the day, not so much now :p

But I'll give it a shot, for the right price.

It's not Battletoads hard :p

I really like both of the souls games because they require you to learn the (excellent imo) combat to actually win. You can also make a bunch of different builds if you are into that, and the coop/pvp is pretty good.

There are some pretty frustrating parts, but there are usually save points right past them.

Back