Dark Souls 3

Yeah, Ashes of Ariendel is kind of "meh," although it's home to one of the most ridiculous fights in the entire series at the end. I don't know if that's good or bad. The second DLC is way better, IMO. It's up there with the DLC areas from Dark Souls 2.

I'd be way more interested if it included both DLC. Not worth it for Ashes alone, since I already own DS3.

yeah i bought the whole thing for PC when it was on sale for half off a while back, since I first bought it for PS4 for jolly cooperation

Anyone tried one of the item randomizer mods? Randomized loot is something I wished was an official feature or playthrough option. I understand why they don't do it - there are potential PvP unfairness complexities that arise with RNG items, but it would make subsequent playthroughs a little more fun if your focus is solo play.

Because with predetermined item locations, once you already know all of them, then subsequent playthroughs you find yourself rushing to certain ones that are helpful to your build, and outright ignoring and skipping areas with known items you don't care about.

I'm a freakish completionist when it comes to the Souls games, so I feel obligated to at least try and get every item possible. Like 75% of them I've never even tried out, but I still have 'em...just in case.

While I didn't like the exact way they executed the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, I'd be game for a similar concept in Dark Souls. Some kind of randomized dungeon with unknown enemies and loot. Full on total game randomization would annoy me, though. Knowing my luck I'd just keep getting garbage I didn't want. Kinda like the unlocks in Mario Kart 8.

I got most items when the game originally came out, excluding a very few covenant items that required annoying AF items to grind for

Anyone tried one of the item randomizer mods? Randomized loot is something I wished was an official feature or playthrough option. I understand why they don't do it - there are potential PvP unfairness complexities that arise with RNG items, but it would make subsequent playthroughs a little more fun if your focus is solo play.

Because with predetermined item locations, once you already know all of them, then subsequent playthroughs you find yourself rushing to certain ones that are helpful to your build, and outright ignoring and skipping areas with known items you don't care about.

a randomizer would be fun for Souls vets...I have so many hours in each of the Souls games that I've memorized most of the loot locations...that's what made the Scholar of the First Sin version of DS2 so much fun...it made the game feel fresh again with items and NPC's in different spots...forces the player to play a bit differently...

Fans are finding clues pointing to a very different, earlier version of Dark Souls 3

Fans have been piecing together a version of Dark Souls 3 very different to the one seen at release, combining pre-launch accounts of the game and source code plundering in an effort to reconstruct From Software's original vision...According to game file references unearthed by McDonald, at one stage in development, Dark Souls 3 didn't conclude with the fight against the Soul of Cinder in the Kiln of the First, as is the case in the final release...instead, it culminated in a battle with Pontiff Sulyvahn (now found in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley) in an unseen third variation of the Untended Graves...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ntiff-sylvhan-and-played-out-very-differently

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley was the hardest area in the game IMO. Especially for how strong you (likely) were at the time.

Fans are finding clues pointing to a very different, earlier version of Dark Souls 3

Fans have been piecing together a version of Dark Souls 3 very different to the one seen at release, combining pre-launch accounts of the game and source code plundering in an effort to reconstruct From Software's original vision...According to game file references unearthed by McDonald, at one stage in development, Dark Souls 3 didn't conclude with the fight against the Soul of Cinder in the Kiln of the First, as is the case in the final release...instead, it culminated in a battle with Pontiff Sulyvahn (now found in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley) in an unseen third variation of the Untended Graves...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ntiff-sylvhan-and-played-out-very-differently
I watched a video a couple of months ago which showed an abandoned game mechanic. Instead of pre-existing bonfires, you would use the sword from the first boss, to create your own bonfires. presumably, you would have limited uses. In the final game, you only use that sword to restore firelink shrine.

I watched a video a couple of months ago which showed an abandoned game mechanic. Instead of pre-existing bonfires, you would use the sword from the first boss, to create your own bonfires. presumably, you would have limited uses. In the final game, you only use that sword to restore firelink shrine.

less bonfires and limited summoning is something I'm definitely in favor of...the early DS3 layout and designs sound very interesting (Yhorm as the first boss, multiple variations of Untended Graves etc)...too bad we'll never get to play it...

a bit off topic but I think this is pretty cool...

Demon's Souls in 4K and 30 fps on PC is wonderful and terrifying...using a RPCS3 PS3 emulator...

https://www.pcgamer.com/demons-souls-in-4k-and-30-fps-on-pc-is-wonderful-and-terrifying/

looks pretty amazing...

That does look really good, although YouTube's interpolation literally makes everything look good. I tried that emulator 6-7 months ago and it just couldn't cut it. It would run great one second and horrible the next. It also kept crashing. I'll have to give it another try. Makes me wonder if they can do 720p or 1080p at 60fps instead of 4K/30fps. My guess is that it probably breaks something or another.

That does look really good, although YouTube's interpolation literally makes everything look good. I tried that emulator 6-7 months ago and it just couldn't cut it. It would run great one second and horrible the next. It also kept crashing. I'll have to give it another try. Makes me wonder if they can do 720p or 1080p at 60fps instead of 4K/30fps. My guess is that it probably breaks something or another.

did you try any other games with it?...I hear it also runs Red Dead Redemption

did you try any other games with it?...I hear it also runs Red Dead Redemption

I didn't. At the time Demon's Souls and maybe God of War 3 were the only games they were playing up. My Red Dead copy is the 360 one, so I don't have that disk anyway.
If it can play Demon's Souls beginning to end with minimal issues, I'm in. I have a bunch of my older PS3 disks, but my system is on the other side of the country. I bought Demon's Souls thinking I'd get it back and I still haven't.

Tried this again (latest version) and it's still buggy, slow, and freezes constantly. Maybe there's some kind of complex procedure needed to configure the game (or the emulator), but it's constantly bogging down on my system and "compiling shaders" or freezing up every few seconds. Dolphin, PCSX2, Project64, Final Burn, etc. run great for me and CEMU's getting better...but this is a mess.

Tried this again (latest version) and it's still buggy, slow, and freezes constantly. Maybe there's some kind of complex procedure needed to configure the game (or the emulator), but it's constantly bogging down on my system and "compiling shaders" or freezing up every few seconds. Dolphin, PCSX2, Project64, Final Burn, etc. run great for me and CEMU's getting better...but this is a mess.

the latest video mentioned major performance improvements so there's probably some specific ways of configuring it properly...try some official RPCS3 forums...

You have to run through a level first, to compile the shaders in RPCS3. Then it will be smooth. CEMU is like this. However, they made it possible to save shader caches and share them. Then, you could precompile the shaders before loading the game. Cemu also has a new method out, which also offers smoother performance, but differs from the old caching.

The RPCS3 devs currently feel that enabling shader cache sharing is not ethical and could jeopardize the project. However, they are working on a way to eliminate the issue. Probably something related to the "uber shader" method used in the Dolphin emulator for Wii. I suspect now that the emulator is real close to being able to run several games pretty well, a smoother method for loading shaders will be a priority.

RPCS3 made some large improvements to how the SPU threads are handled. Now you can run the game at a pretty consistent 30fps with an i7 or overclocked i5. The latest videos show it running as good, maybe better, than a PS3.

Demon's Souls is capped at 30fps. It would take a game specific hack like DSfix, to unlock it.

Higher than base 720p resolution is reportedly very easy, for a few months now. It doesn't take much of a video card.

I've been replaying Dark Souls 3 this week...I always considered DS1 the best Souls game but I've changed my mind- DS3 is the king...difficulty is high even after multiple replays, tough bosses, even some of the regular enemies are tough, gorgeous environments, tons of customization...Dark Souls 1 has the better interconnected world but overall it feels a bit too easy for me now

DS3 is amazing from start to finish and the DLC is also amazing...some of the boss designs are stunning- Pontiff Sulyvahn, Dancer of the Boreal Valley, Aldrich Devourer of Gods etc...this is also the most convoluted game in terms of getting all the side quests, gestures etc

I've been replaying Dark Souls 3 this week...I always considered DS1 the best Souls game but I've changed my mind- DS3 is the king...difficulty is high even after multiple replays, tough bosses, even some of the regular enemies are tough, gorgeous environments, tons of customization...Dark Souls 1 has the better interconnected world but overall it feels a bit too easy for me now

DS3 is amazing from start to finish and the DLC is also amazing...some of the boss designs are stunning- Pontiff Sulyvahn, Dancer of the Boreal Valley, Aldrich Devourer of Gods etc...this is also the most convoluted game in terms of getting all the side quests, gestures etc

I actually didn't get into the Souls games when everyone else did, so I had no frame of reference when I started playing DS3. I absolutely enjoyed it while I was playing it. I got sidetracked with something else, but played a good ways into it, and it was great fun. I tried to start up DS1, DS1Remake, and DS2 (all of them the enhanced or updated versions) and just couldn't get into them at all like I did with DS3. Probably just quality of life things and refinements that I wouldn't have noticed if I had started out at the beginning. DS3 just felt good all around. I plan to get back into it when I have a bit more time. I just don't have time for this type of game at all right now, so it's on the back-burner until I do again. Definitely a good game.

I don't know. I think Demon's Souls is still the best, in my opinion, but Dark Souls 3 is a really close second. Primary reason for that is probably because they reached back to Demon's Souls to bring back some of those original concepts. I still have yet to play through Bloodborne. I should get on that after I'm done with Dark Souls 2.

I don't know. I think Demon's Souls is still the best, in my opinion, but Dark Souls 3 is a really close second. Primary reason for that is probably because they reached back to Demon's Souls to bring back some of those original concepts. I still have yet to play through Bloodborne. I should get on that after I'm done with Dark Souls 2.

I never played Demon's Souls so I'll defer on that...but rumors are that Bluepoint Games is working on something big for their next remaster and signs point to it being Demon's Souls for the PS5

https://www.ccn.com/bluepoint-games-is-probably-developing-a-demons-souls-playstation-5-remake/

demon souls is great. you can actually play it now on pc via emulation, works very well, fighting cowboy streamed it

Demon Souls the way the levels are layed out is just good my favorite boss is still the spider boss where it spits fire at you and you try to attack it and it gets you caught in it's web.
I don't think any of the recent games have caught that magic Dark Souls 2 comes close at times.

I updated my reshade preset for Dark Souls 3 to version 2.1

The big change is its updated for Reshade 4.5.2. So, it should work with reshade updates for awhile. The last time I updated it, Reshade was in version 3.0

The visuals are nearly identical. But...I changed how I do bloom effects which makes it sharper, compared to DS3Tube version 2.0.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/245

Last edited:
I appreciate how they chose to streamline Dark Souls 3. The first game had a *lot* of tedious elements to upgrading and the second game was a constant struggle of weapons breaking.
With #3 they retained the concepts, but removed the elements that felt like wasted time and effort. The level design was back to being clever, too.
I still feel like DS2 captured the feel of an overwhelming and epic quest better than the others, but DS3 otherwise bests it and even the original in most other areas.
The DLC bosses are among the toughest they've ever devised as well. Maybe even unfairly-so. Friede and maybe even Midir feel like fights that were designed for summons.

the second game was a constant struggle of weapons breaking.
They eventually fixed this in SOTFS. Weapon durability was tied with framerate somehow. 60fps PC and PS4 was effectively double durability degradation. But they patched it at some point. It took a long time, though.

The level design was back to being clever, too.
DkS2 certainly has some clever areas. Lost Bastille with sinner's rise and the belfry tower. And the windmill tower at Earthen Peak, come to mind. Also, Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharaohs were amazing for PVP in the Rat King covenant. There are other good areas in the main game and the DLC is all pretty great quality. I think Dark Souls 2's worst areas tend to stick out more, because most of its areas are fairly large. Dark Souls 1 has plenty of lame spots. But, they are usually smallish, in-between areas. A side effect of everything being inter-connected.

I'm up to the final area of the base game (Grand Archives) in my replay...you can't go into this game cold after not playing for months and expect to dominate...it requires a rhythm and comfort that you lose when you haven't played the game for awhile...I died to almost every boss at least once...when going back and replaying DS1 or DS2 I can mow through most of the bosses even after not playing for awhile...DS3 is a different beast where you'll get wrecked if you aren't concentrating

** and No, I never use summoning help

I've been replaying this over the past week and I can't stop playing...amazing game...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.png
    5.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 6.png
    6.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.png
    7.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.png
    8.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I've been replaying this over the past week and I can't stop playing...amazing game...
Look at ODK and Pontiff Knight posing for your photos, but Yhorm has to derp. No wonder he tips over when you breathe on him.

Back