Dark Souls 3

No, no, no....grab a PS3 and start with Demon's Souls. No nerfing there. You die, you start the entire level over. Not saying there are not cheesy way to beat certain enemies, but there is none of that warping crap. Yes, you can choose where to go to some extent, but starting each level over after death will deter some of that if you do not know what you are doing. Still my favorite and I wish they would do a HD remake.
Fuck a remake, I just want to see a version released on PC already.

No, no, no....grab a PS3 and start with Demon's Souls. No nerfing there. You die, you start the entire level over. Not saying there are not cheesy way to beat certain enemies, but there is none of that warping crap. Yes, you can choose where to go to some extent, but starting each level over after death will deter some of that if you do not know what you are doing. Still my favorite and I wish they would do a HD remake.

for hard core fans yes this would be great...but for people having a difficult time getting into DS1, an easier entry point would probably be DS2...even the Scholar of the First Sin re-issue is an easier entry point then DS1 for people new to Souls games...I never played Demon's Souls and doubt it'll ever come to PC

I find Dark Souls 1 to have been the easiest one to start first. I played in this order, DS1, DS 2, DS 3 (quit, holy F thats hard compared to DS2), bloodborne, DS3, Demons souls.

All that said, these days I am playing the fire fades edition on PC and with a GTX 1080Ti, I am trying to get this thing to super sample. Anyone know how to run this game above native resolution? I googled and tried editing the .xml file in app data but it never worked, even when i set it to read only. Thanks!

Looks like global supersampling might do it. I set it to 4.0x and suddenly 2880p was an available in game resolution.

the lack of quality games these days makes me just want to go back and replay the Souls games...

Last edited:
I would have on problem with this game e if my save file still existed really enjoyed the game I still think Dark Souls was the best game my favorite boss was and Ornstein and Smough yeah i had to look up the spelling. Capra demon was a close 2nd.

Just Demon Souls would be enough for me. Replayed it earlier this year on my PS3.

Anyone else get crashing when using Nvidia DSR supersampling? Game runs brilliantly on the sig rig but randomly I lose my display driver. Could be the OC on the 1080Ti, I guess, except that I played it at 2012mhz for a week with no crashes. I installed a 3770k, now I get display driver crashed with DSR. Hmmm. Might be a driver setting?

Dark Souls with DSFix (possibly with the hi-res texture pack) is 90% the same as a remaster. It struggles at resolutions over 1080p and the jump distance is slightly off, but it's otherwise pretty close. They could probably start there and a remaster might not be so tough.

Demon's Souls is another story. It's definitely a full generation behind with no ports at all. I tried RPCS3 and that's nowhere near a valid option at the moment, either.
I'd welcome a remaster of that game with open arms even at $60.

Dark Souls with DSFix (possibly with the hi-res texture pack) is 90% the same as a remaster. It struggles at resolutions over 1080p and the jump distance is slightly off, but it's otherwise pretty close. They could probably start there and a remaster might not be so tough.

Demon's Souls is another story. It's definitely a full generation behind with no ports at all. I tried RPCS3 and that's nowhere near a valid option at the moment, either.
I'd welcome a remaster of that game with open arms even at $60.
I didn't have problems downscaling to 1080p with an HD 7870.

I would cap framerate at 40fps, though. Because the lower roll distance at higher framerates can noticeably affect your ability to evade in PVP. Also, you don't get some of the weird physics and collision issues.

At the rate they are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Demon's Souls is relatively bug free/crash free in RPCS3, in 6 months. And like Dark Souls, the game textures are high res and scale up with the resolution you set.

Prepare thy Remaster edition lets hope.

Also, still getting a ton of crashes using DSR, then suddenly, it went smooth as butter when I deselected my upscaled resolution in the settings, and reselected it. Playing it at 4k or so. I really love the lothric fight. Then farmed a baller swag sword on those four red eye knights! Collected the whole set, including the shield. Love it all.

Since I only own the DLC on the PC, this playthrough is going to be my first time on it. Running a pure melee quality build with dark sword. Anyway, I always treat archdragon peak as DLC as well, so Ill go through ADP after soul of cinder, then both DLCs. Cant wait :D

I thought the servers were already down. Go figure.
Hopefully we get that remaster before the game is gone for good.

Since I only own the DLC on the PC, this playthrough is going to be my first time on it. Running a pure melee quality build with dark sword. Anyway, I always treat archdragon peak as DLC as well, so Ill go through ADP after soul of cinder, then both DLCs. Cant wait :D

The dark sword is still incredibly good in DS3. Especially when you modify it to match your build. I shifted to some heavier weapons for fights where impact/stun matters, but the Dark Sword was always just a button press away. It hits like a heavy weapon, but swings like a broadsword. Tough to beat that combo.

For sure! Its a tough one, but if you play it for the atmosphere, the challenge and the exploration, its a solid entry to the series.

I completed Ringed City DLC this weekend. Cant even believe my luck. No summons, beat the prince first time I saw him (0 estus, 20 hp left, 150bpm heart rate). Then beat final boss on my third ever pull of him (much lower heart rate, why?). Still havent beat the bonus boss, but havent tried for a few days.

Solid end to the series, that of course leaves you wanting more.

With some exceptions, 3 is arguably the easiest one to hop into. At least other than Bloodborne. They streamlined a lot of the tedium required for upgrading, and the difficulty is probably a hair lower than the first two. At the very least it's lower than the Scholar of the First Sin version of #2. The biggest key to the Souls games (beyond learning the mechanics) is to properly level up your stats and items. The games definitely favor specific builds rather than being a jack of all trades. There are a LOT of builds you can go with, but the key is to avoid wasting your levels on stats that don't matter.

With some exceptions, 3 is arguably the easiest one to hop into. At least other than Bloodborne. They streamlined a lot of the tedium required for upgrading, and the difficulty is probably a hair lower than the first two. At the very least it's lower than the Scholar of the First Sin version of #2. The biggest key to the Souls games (beyond learning the mechanics) is to properly level up your stats and items. The games definitely favor specific builds rather than being a jack of all trades. There are a LOT of builds you can go with, but the key is to avoid wasting your levels on stats that don't matter.
I disagree. While some of the mechanics are easier to manage I feel the overall difficulty is much higher than the first game (I don't have full experience with 2, so can't compare with that). I have a good amount of time with Dark Souls under my belt (500+) and it took me about 8 hours to get to and clear the first real boss. Lothric Castle is still a pain in the ass even though I've been through it about a dozen times by now. There are also some standard mobs that are very annoying to deal with. The Jailers being one of the worst with their line-of-sight debuff that decreases your max HP, and there is no way to defend against or counter it.

I disagree. While some of the mechanics are easier to manage I feel the overall difficulty is much higher than the first game (I don't have full experience with 2, so can't compare with that). I have a good amount of time with Dark Souls under my belt (500+) and it took me about 8 hours to get to and clear the first real boss. Lothric Castle is still a pain in the ass even though I've been through it about a dozen times by now. There are also some standard mobs that are very annoying to deal with. The Jailers being one of the worst with their line-of-sight debuff that decreases your max HP, and there is no way to defend against or counter it.

Different styles I suppose. I tend to favor the heaviest stuff I can carry and having boatloads of HP. I killed both Gundyr and Vordt both on the first try while I struggled early in first game. With no clear path, it took me days to even realize that first path up the hill was even there.
The Boreal Valley was probably the only area I truly struggled mightily with. That's definitely a moment where the difficulty takes a turn. Possibly because big/slow weapons suck vs. those wraiths while fast ones spam them to death. I had to totally change my approach there.
The jailers ARE probably the single most annoying enemies in that whole game, though. Especially that one room full of 'em. That's one of those areas where I spam poison/fire arrows and run like hell. I suppose bows are one major difference between the first game and the last two. The bow is actually a damn good weapon in 2 and 3, while it's kind of limited (and does "meh" damage) in the first game. I typically equip 1 slow weapon, 1 fast weapon, and 1 bow equipped so I can swap between them quickly. In the first game it barely matters, but I swap constantly in 2 and 3.

Different styles I suppose. I tend to favor the heaviest stuff I can carry and having boatloads of HP. I killed both Gundyr and Vordt both on the first try while I struggled early in first game. With no clear path, it took me days to even realize that first path up the hill was even there.
The Boreal Valley was probably the only area I truly struggled mightily with. That's definitely a moment where the difficulty takes a turn. Possibly because big/slow weapons suck vs. those wraiths while fast ones spam them to death. I had to totally change my approach there.
The jailers ARE probably the single most annoying enemies in that whole game, though. Especially that one room full of 'em. That's one of those areas where I spam poison/fire arrows and run like hell. I suppose bows are one major difference between the first game and the last two. The bow is actually a damn good weapon in 2 and 3, while it's kind of limited (and does "meh" damage) in the first game. I typically equip 1 slow weapon, 1 fast weapon, and 1 bow equipped so I can swap between them quickly. In the first game it barely matters, but I swap constantly in 2 and 3.
The bosses themselves feel very fair in DS3. I had no issues with Vordt. The journey to get there was what I was having issues with.

I agree that Dark Souls 3 is actually, technically more difficult in combat. But, if you've played 3 souls games before it, you are probably familiar enough that the game doesn't feel that difficult.

I am really glad they got rid of Armor upgrades.

I think one thing that also helped in #3 is that the Claymore is available VERY early. That's one of my favorite weapons and one I keep going back to even all the way at the end of the game. The R2 thrusting attack is somewhat abusable one you get use to the range on it. It's not particularly great vs. bosses, but it's really good vs. normal enemies.

every time I think of DS3 difficulty all I can think of is Sister Friede!!...hardest boss in any Souls game for me and it's not even close...overall though I agree with Domingo that 3 is the easiest for newbies to probably jump into in terms of mechanics and bosses but I do think that 3 has the hardest non-bosses- Sulyvhan's Beast, Monstrosity of Sin, Pus of Man etc ...DS3 also has the most convoluted side missions where you need to do some obscure things to continue...now that I think of it maybe it's not the best game for newbies to the Souls series to jump into lol...maybe it's the easiest for veterans of the series once you're used to the mechanics and Souls gameplay

Dark Souls 2 non-DLC is probably the easiest in terms of difficulty

I started with DS1 and found bloodborne and DS3 way too hard starting out. Lack of poise is fatal.

With the DS1 remaster coming out, itll be even easier to guide new players. Just play DS1.

I started with DS1 and found bloodborne and DS3 way too hard starting out. Lack of poise is fatal.

With the DS1 remaster coming out, itll be even easier to guide new players. Just play DS1.
I have not played DS3 in awhile, so I don't know if anything changed, but poise was basically useless. Lack of stamina in the beginning is harder to deal with, in my opinion.

I have not played DS3 in awhile, so I don't know if anything changed, but poise was basically useless. Lack of stamina in the beginning is harder to deal with, in my opinion.

Poise just works differently. It took the community months to figure out and it is useful to a certain extent. It's explained in this video. I did make a few poise based builds and they can be incredibly OP for invasions, though there are soft caps for sure.

That video is M E G A

Everyone needs to watch it. Changes everything about how I think about weapons and armor now.

Poise just works differently. It took the community months to figure out and it is useful to a certain extent. It's explained in this video. I did make a few poise based builds and they can be incredibly OP for invasions, though there are soft caps for sure.

Looks like the poise health added in patch 1.08 made all the difference. With that, it all makes sense and works now. I like how heavier weapons give you less poise health.

Yea I remember right around when the Ringed City came out I was running a min/maxed quality build with a decent amount of attention going into poise mechanics. I literally would go all day invading people and just wrecking them. I forgot how poise works, I just remember it being a deeper than expected mechanic, haven't seen the video in over a year. I will check it out again if I decided to play more DS3 before DS1Remaster comes out.

I tried watching the video and comprehending it... must not be smart enough to understand it or know how to use it. But then I was never into PvP. I wonder if poise mechanics apply to bosses or mobs.

Tried to get my formerly anti-videogame girlfriend into DS3. Didn't go so well. She always insisted vgames were "for losers" and a waste of time, then she got addicted to Rise of the Tomb Raider and became one.

Since RotTR went well I thought "okay now let's show you something really good" and loaded DS3. She lasted about 60 seconds. Oh well.

Back