Dark Souls 3

As of 2 minutes ago, still getting stutters.

i7 5960x
2x Titan Xs (Latest drivers as of this morning)
32 GB RAM
Game installed on Samsung 850 Pro
Win 10 on a Samsung 840 Pro
Save games (User Dir) on WD 1 TB Velociraptor.

Yes, this is a common problem with the game no matter which operating system you are running it on. It most commonly occurs when picking up items or when the game saves, but the last two patches have caused it to happen more during the course of normal gameplay.

Thanks for confirming. Looks like it's not Windows Defender that's causing it, like I thought it was.

Weird about the stuttering thing. I'm hyper-sensitive to stutter and have had none so far. The game has generally been butter smooth to me. Especially compared to Uncharted 4's 30fps and weird camera hiccups. Hopefully the patch doesn't change that.

I'm on the system in my signature running a normal 'ol Win10 install with the latest Nvidia drivers and a mild overclock on my 980 using Afterburner.

However in Dark Souls 3 I still haven't seen a weapon get past 1/2 durability even in massive areas. It's something I just completely ignore.

And you probably won't ever see your weapon durability get low through normal gameplay since your weapon is automatically repaired each time you rest at a bonfire. That fact exacerbated by the plethora of bonfires in DS3, durability might as well not exist.

Simple fact is you'll run out of estus long before your weapon is in jeopardy of breaking.

Last edited:
And you probably won't ever see your weapon durability get low through normal gameplay since your weapon is automatically repaired each time you rest at a bonfire. That fact exacerbated by the plethora of bonfires in DS3, durability might as well not exist.

Simple fact is you'll run out of estus long before your weapon is in jeopardy of breaking.

This is actually fine with me. I'm all for a detailed world, and challenging game play, but I place weapon durability under the category of the mundane. (it's the same reason people are happy not to have to reload their guns in DOOM. :D )

I found durability to be a bit on the annoying side in DS2. It forced me to boost my VIT stat in order to keep 2 weapons (and a bow) on hand for when the first one broke. In at least a couple boss fights, it cost me dearly when I either forgot to have two or both weapons broke.

It's one reason I actually wonder if they ever fixed that problem. It felt excessive and it's something that didn't really affect the first game and now doesn't affect the 3rd.

This one definitely does have a ton of bonfires. So many that I've found several that I missed along the way when I was backtracking. Oddly, it feels like many are pointlessly close to one another while others are long distances away. I assume it's intentional and could be a loading thing. Maybe it something I'll figure out down the line when backtracking. Either way, it's definitely inconsistent.

I wondered why I have never had to repair a weapon even once the entire game. Every time I checked in at the blacksmith, they were always in 100% condition. Repair powder is basically useless. Between that and the lack of poise, FROM made some weird choices with DS3. I can't help but think they were trying to mainstream it a little bit.

With the weapon durability thing - did they ever actually fix that? In my recent playthrough of DS2 (Scholar of the Last Sin version), I didn't notice a difference. I still needed 2 clubs (sometimes a 3rd weapon, too) to clear any large area. However in Dark Souls 3 I still haven't seen a weapon get past 1/2 durability even in massive areas. It's something I just completely ignore.

they fixed it for the Scholar of the First Sin version of DS2...I don't think it was patched for the base (non Scholar version)

Durability is supposed to do something. Since it doesn't, I would imagine they're going to change that at some point. Obviously in Dark Souls 2 you had a huge problem since hitting inanimate objects depleted durability big time. They fixed it mostly for the next Edition but still durability would have an impact. Now it just does nothing which I think is probably wrong.

Special abilities on weapons used to be based on durability usage. Since they moved to the FP system Kama it looks like durability was not updated in some fashion

do most people even use those special weapon arts?...I only used it when I had to with the Storm Ruler for the Yhorm boss fight...the windup time for the 'arts' to take effect leaves you open and vulnerable for too long

do most people even use those special weapon arts?...I only used it when I had to with the Storm Ruler for the Yhorm boss fight...the windup time for the 'arts' to take effect leaves you open and vulnerable for too long

In PvE? I can't say for certain. I didn't use weapon arts in PvE much because 1) they were rarely effective vs bosses (outside of gimmick ones like Yhorm) and 2) I never had a lot of FP (or ashen flasks) to sustain using them between bonfires.

That said, weapon arts are extremely useful in PvP. They break guard like no other. Farron Greatsword weapon art spam anyone? Gets old quick, that one.

the patch that was released today made the stuttering worse for me
Same here. It's been driving me nuts tonight. I have been in the middle of a dodge and it would be like the game froze for a quarter of a second but it just continues like nothing happened. :(

That said, weapon arts are extremely useful in PvP. They break guard like no other. Farron Greatsword weapon art spam anyone? Gets old quick, that one.

do all the weapon arts have that long charge up time?...because I can't see it being useful in pvp if it takes forever to charge

Same here. It's been driving me nuts tonight. I have been in the middle of a dodge and it would be like the game froze for a quarter of a second but it just continues like nothing happened. :(

yup, exactly what's happening to me as well...

do all the weapon arts have that long charge up time?...because I can't see it being useful in pvp if it takes forever to charge.
Farron Greatsword weapon art is a very fast parry (i.e. easy to spam). Not only that, but if you equip a greatshield (in your left hand) that allows you use your weapon art, then you can parry with a greatshield.

Add in a hornet ring, and you're good to go for one-shotting. Farron also has a great moveset and good hyper armor. Even if you don't use the weapon art, it's good stuff.

Farron Greatsword weapon art is a very fast parry (i.e. easy to spam). Not only that, but if you equip a greatshield (in your left hand) that allows you use your weapon art, then you can parry with a greatshield.

Add in a hornet ring, and you're good to go for one-shotting. Farron also has a great moveset and good hyper armor. Even if you don't use the weapon art, it's good stuff.

sounds nice...looking at the stats it seems its a DEX weapon which is surprising as most Greatswords are usually STR

Bah - the new patch added the random pausing "feature" to my game, too. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason for it either. Sometimes it's entering a new area, sometimes just a different part of a room. Sometimes in the middle of a boss battle.
I also got my first game crash with it as well. Admittedly that could be the new Nvidia drivers, which I just installed, too.
Not a good morning so far either way.

That pausing is getting really old. It just cost me in a boss battle vs. the dancer. The game paused and the next thing I know I've been grabbed and insta-killed. Another time it at least put me on death's door vs. those damned pontiff knights. They started locking me down and pushing me down some stairs only to have the game freeze for a second or two. When it unpaused, the camera angle was totally different.
It kinda feels like a network phone-home kind of thing.

I'm so sick of the fucking stuttering as well, on the last boss and he's a bitch (soloed all bosses) and i love it when it stutters when timing rolls is crucial FIX THE DAM GAME FROM.

I can't. I just can't anymore.

I've been raging at it for like 3 hours. Started a new character because I thought it might just be me, the area I'm in. No. It's completely ruined. I've been trying to get through High Wall of Loric for like an hour now. Until this is fixed, I'm done. Fuck you From. You ruined it.

I'm getting the stuttering now too. It's annoying, but it hasn't cost me anything... yet.

I'm so sick of the fucking stuttering as well, on the last boss and he's a bitch (soloed all bosses) and i love it when it stutters when timing rolls is crucial FIX THE DAM GAME FROM.

yup, in a game where timing and precision is vital the skips/stutters really is game-breaking

Invading is so addicting I think I invaded like 50 times in a Row now that I have the Red Eye Orb that isn't cracked the whole one. I was invading in the swamp came up about 50/50 most of the time k/d
sometimes I couldn't find anyone. Other times there is like 5 player going at it Mad Phantoms Red Phatoms Host of Embers.

i'm a sorcery mage for good now used up all my respecs in NG+ unless I decided to go NG++ really wish it wasn't limited....

I just figured out Farron's Flashsword is better then any Melee weapon a mage can use wish I speced in some more Dex though.

I just found the Crown of Dusk too but using that in a Clutch Ring like one hit you're dead. So I skipped the Magic Clutch Ring.

Yeah the stuttering is Game Breaking on the PC almost it gets worse the longer you play it seems.

Yeah I went back to farming. I was at the Twin Princes but I can't do it. I keep dying when the stupid pauses. It sometimes picks up the roll it sometimes doesn't when the pause happens. I swear I hate steam now, WTF isn't there a use the old version option!!!! Just one f**king version just in case the dev releases a bad patch on a f**king Friday!!!!

Well on the plus side, I'll be like lvl 200 by the time they fix it with level +9 weapons. I just farmed 900k or so today + 20 chunks for upgrades lol.

WOW the pregnant pauses must be worse for some people than others it just skips and stutters for me.

It's definitely this patch for me. Never had any issues at all prior to it. No clue if my situation is that bad because I wouldn't call it a stutter. For my system, it's just a full-on pause for about a second. Sometimes it won't happen for 3-4 minutes. Sometimes it'll be multiple times per minute. I can't 100% tell if it's based on my location or some kind of timer.

In addition to the random/occasional pauses, I have discovered that Anor Londo is every bit as annoying as before. The two giant beasts in the basement, the 2-hit kills from the bow-knights, and the constant multi-participant invasions if you're embered. It's just a giant quagmire.

The beasts are a pain but the bow men are much easier. Also if you have the hidden body spell and the slumbering ring... you pretty much have easy mode to get past anything.

I have discovered that Anor Londo is every bit as annoying as before. The two giant beasts in the basement, the 2-hit kills from the bow-knights, and the constant multi-participant invasions if you're embered. It's just a giant quagmire.

it's worth it to kill those 2 giant Sulyvhan beasts as the 2nd one drops the Ring of Favor (and you get a new bonfire)...the key is to time their bite back move...they telegraph it so it's fairly easy to roll...and make sure not to agro the 2nd one while fighting the first...the archers are much easier then the 2 on the walkway in the original Dark Souls...the constant invasions are pretty much there throughout the 2nd half of the game...the game also ramps up in difficulty once you reach Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

Made it through Anor Londo without too much trouble. That boss is a cakewalk compared to O & S. I think it was just a shock to the system to be gang invaded followed by those beasts and the archers. Boreal Valley is most definitely a major step up in difficulty. Just cleared the dungeon area (although there are still some areas locked) and killed a few enemies in the Profaned Capital. I started this area a little bit earlier but have no circled back since there's nowhere else to go. So far, it's not too bad.
It might not matter in PvP, but it seems like PvE revolves around physical and fire defense. After all of those damned fire demons in Lost Izaleth and the various fire tossing priests everywhere, that's the majority of the spells I'm encountering.

Looks like they pulled the patch that was giving everyone stuttering:

App Version 1.04.1 / Reg Version 1.06.1 Update :: DARK SOULS III General Discussions

EDIT 16/05: The patch has been removed temporarily to fix the freeze issues. We hope to reinstate the patch ASAP. If you fall victim to one of the bugs previously fixed, don't worry, you won't be penalized. We will keep you posted as soon as we have more info. Thank you for your understanding.

it's worth it to kill those 2 giant Sulyvhan beasts as the 2nd one drops the Ring of Favor (and you get a new bonfire)...the key is to time their bite back move...they telegraph it so it's fairly easy to roll...and make sure not to agro the 2nd one while fighting the first...the archers are much easier then the 2 on the walkway in the original Dark Souls...the constant invasions are pretty much there throughout the 2nd half of the game...the game also ramps up in difficulty once you reach Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

I summoned help for those two beasts and got the ring and the +1 Ring of Favor in NG+

Right after I killed the two beasts and got the Ring I was attacked by Two mad purples....

How do you get that Yellow Mad Phantom summon sign I just figured out how to become a purple Mad Phantom totally botched it twice.

I'm glad they have at least acknowledged that the patch was causing problems. Hopefully it'll get fixed this week.

Back