Dark Souls 3

Will the PS4 version release around the same time or is that for the PC version only?

might be at midnight (local time) for the PS4...if you click on the game in your PS4 menu it should tell you the unlock time

Last edited:
So Steam is not slow as hell on big title release days for you? I am surprised cause it can't even saturate a 35mbps connection on release day for any popular title for me. Though to be fair it is speedy any other time, I have installed and uninstalled ARK like 3 times @ 43GB.

Nope.

OesOCxw.jpg

Well now that the game is actually out I will have to ignore this thread to avoid any and all spoilers until I am ready to playing. Seeing how I just started playing DS2 I don't foresee that happening any time soon, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait from what I have read so far.

Just played up through Firelink Shrine for now. Since the game doesn't display at ultrawide resolution apparently I'm playing it on a 43" 4K monitor. Maxed the game out and I'm going to need to lower settings a little bit I think. It's fairly smooth but I noticed some dips.

is everyone having framerate issues when using a gamepad?
drops wildly to 20fps every few seconds on my 980ti, unless i put the gamepad down and use mouse/KB then it's rather steady 60fps.
tried XBox One and 360 controllers to same result.

drops wildly to 20fps every few seconds on my 980ti, unless i put the gamepad down and use mouse/KB then it's rather steady 60fps.
That's the result of a recent Windows 10 Insider build, I heard. Revert to the previous one or try the next one.

Yeah, having some serious framerate drops with my build (5960x + Titan X SLI + 32 GB RAM). Overall it's 60, but every minute or so there's a drop into the teens.

yeah, you know you have met the true dark souls when your heart is a beating and you are crying like a little bitch

lol

Release day of DS III:

CEO schedules a meeting at 4:30 PM when I planned to leave at 3 :)
Bad accident on my small, quiet street where I live :(
Computer BSOD (first one in two years)

FML

Finally up and running and man...what a beautiful game!

wow just starting up the game for the first time and hearing the music on the Menu screen gave me chills...are both the app version and regulation version supposed to say 1.03?...a message popped up before the title screen stating that the game would be updated to app version 1.03 and regulation version 1.02...but both show up as 1.03

wow just starting up the game for the first time and hearing the music on the Menu screen gave me chills...are both the app version and regulation version supposed to say 1.03?...a message popped up before the title screen stating that the game would be updated to app version 1.03 and regulation version 1.02...but both show up as 1.03
I think it may be a typo. 1.03 and 1.03 on mine, too.

is lag an issue if you open up matchmaking to worldwide instead of regional/local?

whoa whoa whoa!

If a game crashes on an AMD card: it's AMD's fault.

If a game crashes on an Nvidia card: its the developer's fault.

Get it right.
The crashes are also spitting out display driver errors, the best known fix is to turn down the Lighting quality setting.

I played up to the uchigatana guy that kicks your ass and firelink shrine. Only thing I noticed is slight hitch here and there. 60fps pegged 1080p max settings gtx780 1100mhz and 4.5ghz 4770k 4.0 uncore and 16gb 1866 1t timings. Using newest nvidia driver I updated today and running w8.1 64bit.

Hopefully I don't see any crashing or frame dips...

The crashes are also spitting out display driver errors, the best known fix is to turn down the Lighting quality setting.

Yes...I crashed probably 10 times in the first hour, then tried the low lighting setting and now have only crashed once in 3 hours.

I love seeing 10+ summon signs at boss gates :)

I noticed periodic hitches when videos are playing. Kind of strange but I can ignore that. Also the key bindings get confused sometimes. Where I just head in one direction and have to take some action. And the ghosts don't seem to work so well. Some just don't appear. I was able to configure the key bindings to the original DS1 scheme, mostly. In DS2 I had to use AHK. Aside from that no issues (amd 280x). I think they have cut down a lot on massive hit point pools for the bosses. Seems like you make do with less. But that may be because I am probably just in the starting areas. Helped out a few people. Easy way to human + get a shard + learn the bosses. Anyway really enjoying the game. They have some seriously fucked up enemies this time around. Tried starting out as a deprived. That.... did not work so well for me :)

JY69jvv.jpg

I finished the first 2 bosses...Boss 1 was way too easy...#2 was a bit more difficult but more annoying then anything else...I hear the bosses scale in difficulty better then any previous Souls game so I'm looking forward to that...I can already feel the Miyazaki influence and this feel so much more like DS1...the character customization, level design etc all are an improvement over DS2...some of the NPC enemies really pack a punch and they're constantly using guard break and are very aggressive...key bindings are much improved as well and I like that I can finally use the side mouse buttons now...still sucks that all the button prompts in-game are for the Xbox controller...I couldn't figure out which key to press for 'Remove Key Binding' as it kept showing X but eventually figured it out with some trial and error...still cannot use a bunch of keys on the keyboard as well...overall this is the best PC port from From but still not perfect

I can't even beat the starting boss I'm on try like 15 now =) The first part is easy but when he sweeps and shit he kicks my ass maybe Cleric wasn't a good idea I could kick his ass if I had a distance spell.

update just beat him =) Stayed close to him so he can't swipe me with the arms

Last edited:
I also played till firelink and other than a rare hitch now and then it was a solid 60fps at 2560x1600. No issues at all with the controller but I am on Win 7. It really makes me think I am playing the original DS which is a good thing. Though after reading the explanation of the various stats I think it's going to need more points in several stats I didn't use in DS2. Having a mana bar though that was surprising, being a caster I think it's going to make my life harder later. But at least it seems they fixed the weapon degredation, it's not glaringly fast like in DS2.

Only thing I noticed is slight hitch here and there...

I noticed some hitching early on as well before I reached Firelink...whenever I picked up an item it seemed to hitch for a quick nanosecond...seems to have gotten better once I moved to the next are after Firelink...other then that, smooth 60fps with my GTX 970 at 1920 x 1200 and all the graphics settings maxed out

Does anyone think it might not be a bad idea to just dump a ton of stats in luck so you can farm early on? Then respec later for PvP and PvE? It'd be a nice challenge. Not sure if it makes sense or not.

Since I'm still plodding through DS2, I'll just wait a few days for them to work out the kinks.

I should not have bought this game. I never really liked the first two and decided to give this one a chance. I cannot defeat the first boss or even come close to killing him after about 20 tries. Oh well.

Pre-ordered the xbox one variant on Sunday off Amazon for $59.99 with free shipping. Ships on Thursday but oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Checked Amazon today to see they're selling the game for just under $70, plus tax, plus $3.99 shipping.

Went to my order history to see that the game still has free shipping as well as a $12 discount for being a prime member. Never noticed this discount the first time around.

I should not have bought this game. I never really liked the first two and decided to give this one a chance. I cannot defeat the first boss or even come close to killing him after about 20 tries. Oh well.
Not sure if this will help you, but try going back to the start area and use it to practice dodge timing. Personally I recommend only using the shield as a last "there is no way I can dodge now" moments because using the shield still damages you. Also remember that dodging away and to the sides are not necessarily the best way to dodge. The best is usually towards and slightly to one of the sides of the opponent so you can attack after the dodge. I remember the first time I played Demon Souls on PS3, I hated the game. I just didn't get it. Even DS1 I initially didn't like because it was so easy to die that I got frustrated and kept using either the block with the shield or the dodge away moves, but once the dodging thing made sense I absolutely fell in love the series. To me the shield is a red herring in the game since it doesn't negate damage just reduces it. Unless you are really good with timing and can do parries instantly I think it will do you more harm than good to use it especially with bosses whose damage output is many times larger than normal.

Dodging into enemies has always been a very odd quirk to the Souls games. It feels unnatural. Ditto with strategy #2 - charge at enemies and get as close as possible while strafing them. Most attacks will miss or at least offer a safe area when you're point blank. I tend to just hold my shield up and keep circling toward the limb that enemies attack with. It's counter intuitive, but you usually end up circling past the attack in most instances. Worst case, you block it if they track well...which most don't.

recently upgraded to windows 10. before i was using DS4Tool on windows 7 and it worked fine.

I tried playing DS3 but none of the dualshock 4 controller applications work. I've tried InputMapper and DS4Windows as well. Can't get them to "exclusive mode", says i have to shut down steam/skype/etc but i have nothing running.:mad:

I am happy to note that 21:9 seems to be an option, haven't started the game yet but theres 3440x1440 available.

edit : nope just started game, 3440x1440 is an option, and the main menu seems to be 21:9, but the game doesn't do ultrawide. didn't really expect something like DS3 to be 21:9

Last edited:
Back