Dark Souls 3

It's up on Steam today 8% discount

8% is a strange number...but it's Dark Souls, the only game I'll buy no matter the price...but I'm thinking about buying the Collector's Edition with the 10" Red Knight statue (although I wish the Lord of Cinder statue was available in the US)...I bought the Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition with the 12" Warrior Knight figurine and I don't regret it one bit...the only Collector's Edition of a game I ever bought

CDkeys has it for $39 as of today.

Grabbed it at $33 before they hiked it :D.

8% is a strange number...but it's Dark Souls, the only game I'll buy no matter the price...but I'm thinking about buying the Collector's Edition with the 10" Red Knight statue (although I wish the Lord of Cinder statue was available in the US)...I bought the Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition with the 12" Warrior Knight figurine and I don't regret it one bit...the only Collector's Edition of a game I ever bought
I'm not at home so can't see the discount, but Steam page says it's % based on owning previous DS games.

I'd buy a CE for sure if it were on PC. Unfortunately it's only on consoles. I do have a XB1 CE preordered, but not sure if I will complete it. Don't even own an XBone. Have a PS4 but it's sold out on Amazon.

Grabbed it at $33 before they hiked it :D.

I'm not at home so can't see the discount, but Steam page says it's % based on owning previous DS games.

I'd buy a CE for sure if it were on PC. Unfortunately it's only on consoles. I do have a XB1 CE preordered, but not sure if I will complete it. Don't even own an XBone. Have a PS4 but it's sold out on Amazon.

$33 is a great price...there are 2 Collector's Editions, I think one of them will be available for PC-- not the Prestige Edition but the other one

Dark Souls 3 Collector's Editions leaked, and release date narrowed down

I'm picking this up. I was just about to start with the first one, but this one looks pretty cool. I think it might be a case where I play the newest one, get hooked that way, then move backwards from there to get another fix. This is actually how I've gotten into several series of games when I didn't play the earlier ones when they were newer.

$33 is a great price...there are 2 Collector's Editions, I think one of them will be available for PC-- not the Prestige Edition but the other one

Dark Souls 3 Collector's Editions leaked, and release date narrowed down
Those look like Euro editions. They always get the good shit.

I hope there is a American PC CE though.

American CE on PC are fairly rare, most of them are console exclusive. That website also only has a regular PC edition listed currently, and the CE for PS4/XB1.

This reminded me though. Wife is out in SoCal visiting family. Told her to go pick me up a DS2 CE from Gamespot. Can only do store pickup. Decent price at $29.

Has anyone found a place in the US to pre-order either the collector's edition or the prestige edition? I'd take either.

Has anyone found a place in the US to pre-order either the collector's edition or the prestige edition? I'd take either.
For pc CE looks like you're going to have to import and get gouged. Prestige is kinda ridiculous anyway, ~$430 USD?

I'm just going to get an XB1 or PS4 CE from Amazon, then sell the game or return it to Walmart for a $60 gift card. If you have Prime the CE is $104 + tax if applicable. So you're paying around $50 for the loot after selling the console copy, then get the game on Steam.

Do I need to play DS1/2 to get into DS3 story, or can I just jump to 3rd part?

I have been playing Souls games since Dark Souls 1. I still don't have a real clear grasp of the story. It is very obscure and it takes a lot of thought , speculation, and even research to fully understand what it is all about, I think Dark Souls is more about combat, leveling your character and navigating the challenging environments than following a story. So yea, you can jump right in... sure to be an awesome ride, he he.

Do I need to play DS1/2 to get into DS3 story, or can I just jump to 3rd part?

I have been playing Souls games since Dark Souls 1. I still don't have a real clear grasp of the story. It is very obscure and it takes a lot of thought , speculation, and even research to fully understand what it is all about, I think Dark Souls is more about combat, leveling your character and navigating the challenging environments than following a story. So yea, you can jump right in... sure to be an awesome ride, he he.

There are quite a few "lore" videos on YouTube for sure, but the game is not very giving when it comes to the plot. There are cinematics in the games that do explain a few things, but within the game the expectation is that you discover as much or as little of the plot as you want. You can absolutely finish the game without understanding what is going on - and that is part of the appeal (kind of like the combat, which, if you have no experience with could lead to frustration). In fact, I would say that the actual experience of playing DS1 (and to a degree, DS2) is nearly as important as knowing the plot. I'm torn. I would suggest you get DS1 - maybe skip DS2 - and watch a few YouTube videos.

Dark Souls 3 True Colors of Darkness Trailer

very cool trailer...best one they've released!

For pc CE looks like you're going to have to import and get gouged. Prestige is kinda ridiculous anyway, ~$430 USD?

I'm just going to get an XB1 or PS4 CE from Amazon, then sell the game or return it to Walmart for a $60 gift card. If you have Prime the CE is $104 + tax if applicable. So you're paying around $50 for the loot after selling the console copy, then get the game on Steam.

The money isn't really an issue but I don't want to contribute to console sales numbers. It's sort of a kick in the nuts that they don't appear to be selling the collectors or prestige edition to the US, like we don't matter.

I'm sorry but 3 iterations and the graphics of this game still look early-PS3-level in a lot of places.

I know everyone loves this game and blah blah blah but...come on.

Gameplay > Graphics

There are plenty of people who don't care how pretty a game looks as long as the game play is rock solid.

I'm sorry but 3 iterations and the graphics of this game still look early-PS3-level in a lot of places.

top shelf graphics would be a nice bonus but the gameplay itself is second to none...graphics are improving with each new game and DS3 looks the best yet but the series will probably never be a graphics showcase

Clueless. Play demon souls and then play blood borne or watch these trailers. Phenomenal graphics comparatively

The money isn't really an issue but I don't want to contribute to console sales numbers. It's sort of a kick in the nuts that they don't appear to be selling the collectors or prestige edition to the US, like we don't matter.
Unfortunately this is fairly common now. NA mostly does CE for console only. PC seems to be a larger market share in Europe. Average Americans are filthy peasants.

If money isn't a concern, I'm sure you'll be able to order one off Amazon 3rd party or Ebay (Prestige listed for $930). Your only chance of scoring one at retail may be Amazon UK. A few days before release, sometimes orders get cancelled due to payment issues etc. Need a text alert service or something like nowinstock.

Hoping that will be the case with the PS4 version on Amazon.com.

Clueless. Play demon souls and then play blood borne or watch these trailers. Phenomenal graphics comparatively

Yet still not on par with even 2014 or 2015 graphics.

I'm sure the gameplay will be good but it's like they barely even try each iteration. Some of the texture work and the amount of blatant low-poly objects in the trailer are just embarrassing.

Yet still not on par with even 2014 or 2015 graphics.

I'm sure the gameplay will be good but it's like they barely even try each iteration. Some of the texture work and the amount of blatant low-poly objects in the trailer are just embarrassing.

I thought that trailer was amazing...but I wasn't looking at polygon counts but rather the new enemies, bosses, move-sets, weapons, environments etc...that's what the Souls games are about...although the graphics looked pretty nice as well

I think it looks pretty nice. I sometimes wonder when these graphics arguments come up. There are plenty of different graphical styles, there are different things that some companies focus on too (higher frame-rates, cartoon styles, higher texture detail, more geometry, higher detail characters or higher detail environments, new flashy effects, etc.) Most go with some subset of these. This game looks like it goes with a decent compromise, of most of this, but with some nice effects, smooth frame rate, etc. It definitely looks better than "PS3 Level". Maybe not absolute top-end 2016, but still very good. And really what DOES look top end 2016? When most games are multiplatform with very little differences between versions, what exactly would you say looks good for this year so far?

People are saying the new Doom looks bad, and that's ridiculous too. I really wonder what many of these arguments are compared against. Sure there are exceptional games visually, but they definitely aren't the standard case.

There is a certain style to the Souls games. They may only be evolving and iterating a small amount graphically, but for some reason, they still look good to me. I think it's the fact that everything is so big and fluid. Kinda reminds me of why I liked arcade games. Everything was always huge and moved smoothly. They didn't always have the highest possible detail though.

I guess I'll know when I actually see it in action rather than a compressed trailer. So far though, I think it looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this front-kick stagger y'all talk about? I have played tons of DS1 and don't think I've ever kicked someone lol

What is this front-kick stagger y'all talk about? I have played tons of DS1 and don't think I've ever kicked someone lol

Press forward and light attack. You need to do them at just about the same time, and instead of swinging your weapon, you'll hold your leg up and kick/push with your foot.

you never kicked someone off a ledge?...that's always fun :D ...it's good to use against guys who constantly have their shields up as it breaks the shield defense...in Dark Souls 2 the kick evolved into a guard break move which I always found more difficult to activate using kb/m

Press forward and light attack. You need to do them at just about the same time, and instead of swinging your weapon, you'll hold your leg up and kick/push with your foot.

you never kicked someone off a ledge?...that's always fun :D ...it's good to use against guys who constantly have their shields up as it breaks the shield defense...in Dark Souls 2 the kick evolved into a guard break move which I always found more difficult to activate using kb/m

Ahh okay thank you guys much for jogging my memory. Turns out I have kicked, just apparently my memory is getting worse in my old age D=

Is it just me or are the same people who complain about "outdated graphics" also complain about "awful gameplay" when a game like like BF4 comes out?

No one is playing Dark Souls for graphics.

Give me a new game with Demon Souls type content and gameplay right now and I'd still pay $60 and love every minute of it.

Dark souls trumps just about every game I've ever played with regards to gameplay. The fact that they're making improvements each iteration is just icing on the cake.

Bad mouth textures all you want, but this generation of Souls are the most detailed games I have ever seen. Bloodborne is insanely detailed. Every inch of each level, to an extreme. POM and tessellation is everywhere. It's very consistent.

Bandai Namco and GameStop have released a Dark Souls-inspired mobile game called Slashy Souls on iOS and Android...Slashy Souls reimagines From Software's super hard role-playing games with "epic 16-bit gameplay."...players will face a world riddled with "devious traps and obstacles," fighting "monstrous bosses" as they travel along the way...

http://kotaku.com/look-away-dark-souls-fans-just-look-away-1761796922

looks like crap and is getting bad reviews as well...it's just a giant Dark Souls 3 advertisement

Souls games have good immersion which is the reason why they are good I'll say Demon Souls had the best Immersion based on level design alone.
Bloodborne had the worst

Souls games have good immersion which is the reason why they are good I'll say Demon Souls had the best Immersion based on level design alone.
Bloodborne had the worst

I think Bloodborne captured the environments perfectly, I felt immersed world of misery and despair. I also love how all the levels are somehow connected in a weird way. It's actually my favorite of all the games mostly because how the combat was handled.

Dark Souls 3: Cowards and newcomers need not apply

it has weaved together the best bits from Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne, while offering far better graphics than Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin...The world structure of Dark Souls III reverts to that of the original Dark Souls—almost as if the non-Miyazaki produced Dark Souls II never happened...

Dark Souls 3: Cowards and newcomers need not apply

I'm glad they addressed the issue of Dark Souls burnout as that was my only concern...sounds like the same wonderful Souls with some visual and gameplay tweaks to keep things fresh...April 12th can't come soon enough...I'm clearing out some of my gaming backlog now (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and maybe Fallout 4 afterwards) as I know I won't touch any other game for awhile after DS3 comes out

Last edited:
Last week, we sat down to play four hours of a new, near-complete build of From Software's latest from the beginning, and we're feeling a lot more confident in our image of what the game is and how it compares to previous titles in the series...while Dark Souls 3 is obviously a Souls game and reminiscent of what’s come before, it has some major differences and tweaks to the formula...we've compiled a list of everything new, different and notable from our first hours with the game...

Dark Souls 3: everything we know from playing the first four hours

Is it just me or are the same people who complain about "outdated graphics" also complain about "awful gameplay" when a game like like BF4 comes out?

No one is playing Dark Souls for graphics.

Give me a new game with Demon Souls type content and gameplay right now and I'd still pay $60 and love every minute of it.

Dark souls trumps just about every game I've ever played with regards to gameplay. The fact that they're making improvements each iteration is just icing on the cake.
I agree. People tolerated the poor port of the first game because the game itself is just that good. Add to that the wonderful modding community from which Durante quickly gave us a fix for the internal resolution. The game is pretty much perfect in my eyes, still being at the top of my list of games released in the current decade.

Is it worth purchasing DS2? You need to have other folks online in order to beat it right? Is there still a good online population to help you beat it?

I played on my buddie's computer to the level of the 2 roman warrior lookin mother effers... did I get very far in it?

you can beat it solo.. . definitely get it.. as far as whether you get the scholar of the first sin or the original doesn't matter much (I prefer the original DS2), go for whichever you can get cheaper but make sure you get all 3 expansions If you get the original..

sounds like you were at a pretty early level (Hades) but its hard to say.. even in DS2 you can go to different levels early on so your first area might be different than others.

It looks like I will be able to run it on my machine with 8GB RAM, i7 2.8ghz CPU, and 7700 Radeon!

Back