Dark Souls 3

interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki

From Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki has some sad news for fans of the Souls series -- the upcoming Dark Souls III might be it

Speaking to GameSpot, Miyazaki states, "I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series. That's not just limited to me, but From Software and myself together want to aggressively make new things in the future...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

I'm a huge fan of the Souls series but I also think it's best to bow out while you're on top...the last thing I want to see is the series getting watered down with yearly releases...I'm interested in seeing what other ideas Miyazaki has in his mind

You know maybe this is a good thing. Some other studio can take the reigns and build upon the Souls experience. As much as I love the Souls games (one of my fav series of games) From Software are inept on technical issues (see the insane framepacing issues that still plague BB. or Dark Souls 1 abomination of a port, tying framerate to mechanics, locking to 30fps, etc,etc).

That said I don't have any doubts that there will be at least several moire Souls and Bloodborne games.

I supremely doubt they will never make another souls game.

They SHOULD take a break, to make some other stuff for awhile.

Make another souls game, 3 years from now. Or hey, From Software is tight on money 5 years from now, ok lets make a new souls game to print some money for us.:D

It needs to end to be honest. We literally went in circles in the two first games, struggling like rats in a closed cage. One way or another, the world has to properly end or to be reborn in its "correct" state. Or the inevitability of the cycles has to be explained somehow without forcing speculation on players. Being excessively vague is weak, especially since From delivered ok endings for both DS and BB.

I`m actually going to avoid getting the third one until I know for sure that they are closing the book.

The problem with the Souls series they kept everything the same same foot step sounds same pace lots of textures weird monsters it's strange enough for people to keep coming back.

Dark Souls 3 PC System Requirements Revealed

Minimum PC System Requirements:
•Processor: AMD A8 3870 3.6 Ghz or Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 / ATI Radeon TM HD 6870
•DirectX: Version 11
•Storage: 50 GB available space

Recommended PC System Requirements:
•Processor: AMD FX 8150 3.6 GHz or Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 750, ATI Radeon HD 7850
•DirectX: Version 11
•Storage: 50 GB available space

Can I assume that I will be able to run it on an i7 860 (2.8Ghz) and Radeon HD 7700?

It runs dying light, which also requires a 6870 card, but dying light requires Intel® Core™ i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz which I'm not sure how those compare to dark souls 3's cpu requirements or to my cpu...

if you can run DS2 you will probably be fine. Doubt they are changing the technology much for this one

I was able to run DS2 just fine, but didn't try Scholar of the First Sin, which has the same requirements as DS3.

The real interesting part of those system specs is the required 50 gb drive space. I wonder if that's just an estimate (due to being the size of a BR Disc) if it's the expected size.

DS2 was only 18.5 gb in comparison.

The real interesting part of those system specs is the required 50 gb drive space. I wonder if that's just an estimate (due to being the size of a BR Disc) if it's the expected size.

DS2 was only 18.5 gb in comparison.

Bloodborne is 50GB
This is the Bloodborne engine, DS2 is old and another engine, not comparable anymore.

hopefully DS3 won't be Bloodborne-redux for those that never played Bloodborne...make sense?

Dark Souls 2 is one of the only games I can play at 4K with the details totally cranked and never drop below 60fps. It also still looks pretty good, although certainly not as good as Bloodborne does.
I never did fully adjust to Bloodborne's 30fps, though. I don't care how good a game looks if the FPS are low. Even worse, smoothmotion/interpolation doesn't work with it either.

The worst part about BB performance is the frame-pacing. It makes 30fps feel like 15fps a big portion of the time; especially in PVP and Jolly COOP.

But since BB has no replay value (NG+ etc) you only have to push through it once to deal with the issues. It's a great game but damn From needs some new engineers/coders or something.

I just hope that DS3 has more than 1-2 color palettes. I don't want the world to be different shades of grey and purple like BB.

I loved DS 1. Bought DS 2 pre-order. Dislike. Never even did one whole play through.
Read a few walkthroughs, got the uber curved sword, was meh.

Game just didn't seem "fun" or grab me like the first one did. Weapon constantly breaking and purposely designed troll invade locations didn't help. Overall level design suffered too IMO.

Hope they go back to what made DS 1 and Demon's Souls great.

Game just didn't seem "fun" or grab me like the first one did. Weapon constantly breaking and purposely designed troll invade locations didn't help. Overall level design suffered too IMO.

Hope they go back to what made DS 1 and Demon's Souls great.

DS2 was lacking that Miyazaki touch and it showed...the 3-part DLC saved the game and raised it to a higher level but overall it wasn't as good as DS1 or Bloodborne

I really liked Dark Souls 2, but just didn't care for the level design. While DS1 and Bloodborne followed the path of Ninja Gaiden and had a large interconnected world, everything in DS2 felt totally separate.
That really my only knock on the game. The size and scope were huge, the difficulty was just about right (except that stupid DLC fight with Lud and Zallen), and I liked the variety in color palettes.
I also liked the cleaner upgrade system that still offered you the opportunity to have different playstyles without having to start all over.
If they could take the style of game from Dark Souls 2 and give me better level design I think I'll be happy. Oh yeah, and get rid of the 2-person boss fights. Everything about those feels exploitive.

I really liked Dark Souls 2, but just didn't care for the level design. While DS1 and Bloodborne followed the path of Ninja Gaiden and had a large interconnected world, everything in DS2 felt totally separate.
That really my only knock on the game. The size and scope were huge, the difficulty was just about right (except that stupid DLC fight with Lud and Zallen), and I liked the variety in color palettes.
I also liked the cleaner upgrade system that still offered you the opportunity to have different playstyles without having to start all over.
If they could take the style of game from Dark Souls 2 and give me better level design I think I'll be happy. Oh yeah, and get rid of the 2-person boss fights. Everything about those feels exploitive.

All From needs to do is make DS3 have a toned down version of Bloodbornes combat. DS1's level design with DS2's MP mechanics -- make it work exactly like DS2 (soapstones, invasions,PVP,jolly coop, CREO,Arena) -- and art style and bonfire travel, and I think we will be set.

And for the love of god no broken AI with broken tracking (DS2 has a ton of these enemies) or gank style encounters around every single corner (DS2 looking at you again).

Last edited:
Dark Souls 2 believed that more= better which was the wrong strategy...boss fights were made artificially harder by adding in 2-3 bosses at the same time which was made stupid by the fact all of them had the exact same moveset...a great example of a multiple boss fight done right was Ornstein and Smough from DS1...both had unique movesets which made the fight challenging...Graverobber, Varg and Cerah was also well done from the DS2 DLC

the interconnected level design of Miyazaki is over-rated and is not the reason I love his games...it's a nice touch but having everything disconnected works just as well for me if the levels themselves, enemies etc are creative and unique

The interconnected world level design strategy is something I love. I think it's great when there are areas that appear closed off only to open later or even work as a way back down the line. I think it's challenging and really rewarding when done well. It was actually one of the first things I noticed that Ninja Gaiden 2 abandoned and caused the game to fall flat.

Gameplay-wise, Bloodborne was okay for me, but I think it wasn't as skill based as Dark Souls. The charge-up moves were either overpowered or everything else was underpowered. Whichever it is, they were nearly all I used against enemies. Against other players they SUUUUCKED and therefore it was easy to slaughter the other players trying them. I'm also not a huge fan of having nearly unlimited stamina so you can fly across the screen mashing circle like mad. I think a blend of DS2's overly deliberate pace with Bloodborne's spam would probably be the best bet.

The interconnected world level design strategy is something I love. I think it's great when there are areas that appear closed off only to open later or even work as a way back down the line. I think it's challenging and really rewarding when done well. It was actually one of the first things I noticed that Ninja Gaiden 2 abandoned and caused the game to fall flat

it can get a bit gimmicky though...here's another door/ladder/stairs that leads back to an earlier level...it can be over-done when every single level has a shortcut back

Bloodborne's major fault was that the MP sucked...not fun at all...overall Bloodborne + DLC was my GOTY...nice change of pace and the Victorian London type of setting was cool but at the end of the day I prefer the Dark Souls gameplay and world

that first boss looks like an updated iron golem. the move looks familiar, just with a different weapon

Damn looks pretty similar to Bloodborne. Except with 60+fps and higher res possible. Sign me the F up.

movement is totally Bloodborne with the dodge move...although it seems you can now roll when locked on to an enemy

wow, I am really looking forward to this, but gotta say, that boss is just a reskinned ornstein without the dash moves.

Dark Souls 3 opening cinematic revealed

Bandai Namco has gotten the hype machine rolling by releasing the opening cinematic for Dark Souls 3...Yhorm the Giant, Aldrich Saint of the Deep, Farron’s Undead Legion and more await you in Lothric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCxZtRrc2Q

looks awesome!...totally reminds me of the opening intro to Dark Souls 1...great to have Miyazaki back

Back