Dark Souls 3

None of the souls games are colorful? Dark Souls 2 was beautiful with loads of color. Every area was very unique and vastly different from one another. They don't have crap loads of bloom and contrast but I think they are very colorful...Maybe I'm using the wrong word?

As long as there's unique scenery with a little dynamic color from area to area I will be fine. I felt Demon Souls had diversity and so did Dark Souls. I don't think I would call Dark Souls "colorful" but the diversity in environments was excellent

yeah I think color is not the right word...Dark Souls had a bigger, more diverse world then Dark Souls 1...when I think of colorful games I think of Bioshock or games with a more bold color palette

Even the dull/predictable layouts of the Chalice Dungeons.

the Chalice Dungeons are great but they in no way replace the pvp/MP of the previous Souls games...I know the developers wanted that to be the case but not even close...it's been a few months since I fired up Bloodborne, might give it another spin soon

the Chalice Dungeons are great but they in no way replace the pvp/MP of the previous Souls games...I know the developers wanted that to be the case but not even close...it's been a few months since I fired up Bloodborne, might give it another spin soon

I like the Chalice dungeons. That wasn't a knock against them, just the best way one can describe procedural dungeons. Dull, because its a reshuffle of environments, predictable because layout changes are limited only to paths being open or closed. Which is all fine, since this area is focused on farming and bosses and not exploration and sightseeing like the main game.
That said, the article mentions Dark Souls deserves an increased focus on MP, so they are forgoing procedural dungeons. If there must be a choice between more covenants and areas or procedural dungeons, I'm for more covenants and areas all the way. I wish they could do both, but I'm cool with it.

his comments on Bloodborne were interesting...

"While working on Bloodborne, I realised several unique things that I can only get in Dark Souls. For example, letting players have a variety of character builds, in Bloodborne I tried to embed characteristics into certain characters and weapons, rather than letting players build their own characters.

Bloodborne was also based on gothic, cosmic horror, but I realised I missed working on dark fantasy. That brought me back to Dark Souls. I was always thinking “classic metallic knight armour is awesome,” but couldn’t use that in Bloodborne because it’s a different genre. That’s something you can only get in the Dark Souls series."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9hgpsuW9to

Early gameplay footage from a couple days ago. What I really like is how the movement and combat speed is faster than DS2, but not absurd-fast like Bloodborne. It's right in the middle. Though since its a dev playing, I do wonder if they've got weight/encumberment disabled - since he's rolling pretty fast for armor that looks heavy.

Graphically we're not looking at a huge leap forward but then that's not why most of us play this series. Its like your favorite pizza - you don't want it messed with, you just want them to make more of it. And it seems that's exactly what they're doing, but with the lessons learned from all the predecessors including Bloodborne. From the art style seen in this short video - which may just be this one map or area in fairness - but it looks like they put DS2 and BB in a blender. Not pure fantasy, not pure gothic, but fantasy-gothic -- also right in the middle.

Edit: Boss at the end looking cool, color palette reminds of a BB boss.

Last edited:
In Bloodborne I felt myself becoming over-reliant on the charging attack. The fact that the axe's hit 4-5 times (and knocked down or stunned) made it hard not to abuse. Between that and being able to dodge like 30 times in a row, I think combat become a bit of a mess. Even when the game wanted to offer a different kind of challenge, it wasn't that hard to put myself back the same (comfortable) position.
That's one of those things I hope Dark Souls is able to recapture - making the fights feel uncomfortable and never quite the way I want to fight them.

at this point every Souls game will most likely be great...some new mechanics here and there but it's all about the enemies, bosses and difficulty...I'm glad the Miyazaki level design is back as it was sorely missed in DS2...didn't realize it until I finished Bloodborne how much I missed it...DS2 was also way too easy except for the DLC...DS2 went with the multiple bosses= harder route which is wrong...multiple bosses/enemies is an artificial way of increasing difficulty

so hopefully DS3 is difficult, same old multiplayer, lots of covenants, lots of NPC's, fantastic level design

In Bloodborne I felt myself becoming over-reliant on the charging attack. The fact that the axe's hit 4-5 times (and knocked down or stunned) made it hard not to abuse. Between that and being able to dodge like 30 times in a row, I think combat become a bit of a mess. Even when the game wanted to offer a different kind of challenge, it wasn't that hard to put myself back the same (comfortable) position.
That's one of those things I hope Dark Souls is able to recapture - making the fights feel uncomfortable and never quite the way I want to fight them.

Bloodborne was a great change of pace but I prefer the standard Dark Souls...Bloodborne's dodge mechanic was cool but also a bit too wild and not as precise as Souls combat normally is...I would just spam dodge without even knowing where I would end up...bring back pvp--that bell ringing lady mechanic was terrible, I barely touched the pvp in Bloodborne...bring back shields...bring back multiple builds-- magic and other types of builds were sorely missed in Bloodborne...you can use the starter weapons until the end of the game in BB (I preferred Ludwig's Blade but I could have easily used the Ax or Saw Cleaver throughout)

Animations look way better in DS3 but the colors look super washed out and grey like in BB. Hopefully they'll fix it by release.

I hope this is OK to post:

https://youtu.be/Ha8eRiP0DmI

15 minutes of gameplay.

The game looks great BUT...I'm really concerned and how EVERYTHING has the same color scheme. It looks like Bloodborne. Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II were all such beautiful games. One of those reasons is because of the diversity of environment. Dark Souls I was so perfectly woven as one big area BUT the scenery was so different. Bloodborne wasn't like that and I don't like that direction they're going.

Dark Souls II kinda lost the perfectly woven big innerconnected world but that didn't bother me either because the areas were incredible. So different. I hope Dark Souls III get's some diversity because I won't enjoy the same environment time and time again.

Where's all the damn color??? It's all grays, oranges and reds!

The blood spatter is horrible and distracting.

I'm not a huge Dark Souls fan, but it looks just like the other two games to me.

the blood splatter was excellent in Bloodborne...I'm glad they kept that for DS3

Hell yeah. And I think we're only getting the gore because its a japanese developer on a not exactly huge publisher. There's been a pattern of moving away from gore among the megapublishers over the years, to play it safe and appeal to younger players on consoles, as well as avoiding the headaches of creating special toned down (censored) versions for the countries with their own weird restrictions.

the blood splatter was excellent in Bloodborne...I'm glad they kept that for DS3

Maybe it's just cause it's an early release, but every strike in the video seemed to emit the same exact pattern of blood, from the same spot regardless of how he swung.

A lot of videos from the DS3 network stress test floating around, but I'm avoiding most of them to avoid spoilers. But here's a weapons and executions montage from the four classes made available in the network stress test (no boss fights in here):

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/dark-souls-3-weapons-and-executions-montage/2300-6427688/

Takeaways:

- The front-kick stagger from DS1 is back. Yes! You see it at 1:40
- I like the faster, near Bloodborne speed to the combat for some of the classes
- Classes will each have their own speed, special moves and starting weapon.
- The Academy Assassin class has resemblances to the Hunter you play as in Bloodborne, at least appearance wise. Kinda cool.

This game is looking awesome.

However, I am bit concerned that movement looks to be as clunky as DS1 in some cases. As long as omni-directional rolling is in (as per DS2) I will spend a huge amount of time in this game. But if this is a return to the clunky and 4-directionl roll-mechanics of DS1 then that will probably dampen my enjoyment.

I will admit, I only played about 2-4 hours of DeS back in the day and my first "real" (300+ hrs) soul experience was with DS2. I've tried playing DS1 but it just seems so "jumpy/jittery" to me (and no, it's not the fps difference, I do not feel the same way playing Bloodborne) in comparison to DS2's "smoothness".

I'm so excited for this game....it looks beautiful. I really hope they don't dumb it down or try to make it more "accessible" at the expense of gameplay difficulty or diversity. Dark Souls II had such an awesome diversity, you could dream up hundreds of different builds.

Maybe within each character, you can create dozens of different builds but it concerns me if they're going away from stat allocation meaning there's less things to level up with your character.

I never did get to play Bloodborn so the faster pace looks fun.

Just based on the 10 minutes of footage I watched from Maximilian, I like what I see. It isn't just a retread, yet it's still familiar.
I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

the yearly release cycle is starting to worry me and I hope DS3 doesn't start to show the effects of it...that being said the return of Miyazaki should help a lot...DS2 suffered a bit in terms of level design, enemy types, atmosphere etc without him at the helm

Eh, not yearly, unless you are considering them alternating with bloodborne. SOTFS does not really count as a release. Anyway I could do with more dark souls, they are keeping the quality up. It isn't like the CoD or BF series with all the bullshit they do.

the yearly release cycle is starting to worry me and I hope DS3 doesn't start to show the effects of it...that being said the return of Miyazaki should help a lot...DS2 suffered a bit in terms of level design, enemy types, atmosphere etc without him at the helm

Aren't they pretty different design teams/resources? DS2 will have been two years.

I just don't see From Soft putting out a rushed product...They're recycling a lot of Bloodborne stuff as far as mechanics and such so that gives them a big head start.

DS2 was released in March 2014...Bloodborne, March 2015...DS3, March 2016...so it's been a yearly release schedule...yes different development team for DS2 but it's still From Software...CoD rotates different developers every year, so that doesn't really help as far as quality

DS2 was released in March 2014...Bloodborne, March 2015...DS3, March 2016...so it's been a yearly release schedule...yes different development team for DS2 but it's still From Software...CoD rotates different developers every year, so that doesn't really help as far as quality

In fairness, Bloodborne isn't Dark Souls, and PC players without a PS4 didn't get to play it. It will have be a two year gap between DS2 and DS3 for these people.

Your overall point about release cadence is valid though, but I reckon that as long as these games delivering, then I'll simply wait until I actually get bored with them before I decide they're coming out too fast.

Bloodborne is a Souls game for all practical purposes. My wife didn't know it wasn't Dark Souls 3 until I was like 2/3 of the way through the game. As long as you don't try to act like it isn't (let's be real here), it's a yearly release schedule.

Sure it is.
But lets also be real here, Bloodborne is Souls lite.
I must have that Souls foundation of numerous weapons and armor, a working magic system, and online factions. Bloodborne is half assed in all those aspects, not missing cause its there, just half assed. The game is great, but I don't sit waiting for the next Souls-Gaiden announcement. I wait for the next Dark Souls.
Their little joint project with Japan Studio was cute, but now give me the meat and potatoes.

Bloodborne is a Souls game for all practical purposes. My wife didn't know it wasn't Dark Souls 3 until I was like 2/3 of the way through the game. As long as you don't try to act like it isn't (let's be real here), it's a yearly release schedule.

Only for PS4 owners.

Just because a game is only for one system doesn't mean the dev team worked on it any less.
I'm not concerned with too many Souls games, I'm more concerned with them having to water down their efforts in order to keep a schedule...like Ubisoft and EA are known to do.
A great idea is a great idea, but it's tough to crank out consistent good ideas when you have to create a new game every year.

Why are we arguing over a yearly release schedule? So far, the games have been outstanding. We can't actually be about to complain that an amazing franchise is coming out with games too FAST are we?

If Dark Souls 3 for some reason sucks, then we can complain, but somehow I don't see that happening...

I'm excited to see new level design. I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Souls 2, it didn't feel as connected as DS1 but there were some amazing levels. Just from looking at even the Stress test level, it seems more DS1 esque. Inner connected, smaller overall areas but rich in content.

the DS3 stress test area looked better then any level in DS2 outside of the DLC...

the DS3 stress test area looked better then any level in DS2 outside of the DLC...

I liked what I saw except the color pallette. I think this is where DS2 shines. Places like Amana, lost bastille, Heide's Tower of Flame,Cathedral of Blue, no mans Wharf, Drangleic, Dragon Aerie (the best looking place in the Souls series), look so much better than anything else in the series. The level design is the issue not the aesthetics. And this is where I find the biggest issues with BB and DS3 (from what we have seen so far). I don't want another game that is grey and several different hues of purple. This was my main issue with BB (besides the terrible MP/PVP/COOP mechanics). I got tired of the purple. And from what we have seen so far this is the route that DS3 is likely taking.

I want some variety and good level design.

I'm ok with a consistent art style, but a little concerned DS3 is looking too much like BB (architecture and even fashion). BUT, none of this matters because it's DS3 :D

Places like Amana, lost bastille, Heide's Tower of Flame,Cathedral of Blue, no mans Wharf, Drangleic, Dragon Aerie (the best looking place in the Souls series), look so much better than anything else in the series

Lost Bastille, No Man's Wharf and Drangleic Castle didn't have much color to it at all...it was primarily grey and black...maybe you are referring to liking the art style over color palette

Lost Bastille, No Man's Wharf and Drangleic Castle didn't have much color to it at all...it was primarily grey and black...maybe you are referring to liking the art style over color palette

It's color diversity though. They're totally different areas with totally different color Schemes.

I will still play the crap out of Dark Souls 3 regardless but I too want some diversity in levels as far as color. Give us a forest level or desert level, or snow level, ice level something different than a castle setting...

It'd be so weird if DS3 didn't have this. I mean Demon Souls and Dark Souls surely had totally different environments so I have some faith.

Maybe that huge giant castle is just one or two big areas and there are completely different areas for us. I'm curious to see what our firelink Shrink/Nexus area will be.

I'm ok with a consistent art style, but a little concerned DS3 is looking too much like BB (architecture and even fashion). BUT, none of this matters because it's DS3 :D

Well it's only one area we saw, and only one of the classes has those outfit similarities to a Hunter in BB. I get what you're saying though, but maybe it's just that FROM's environments have become more complex starting with BB, and that's more of why it feels like BB than the art style.

I have no complaints with anything I saw - little things from DS1 that are back - like the front kick stagger for example - excite me and I'll be playing the shit out of this one. BB was great but I need more swords and shields.

I don't have a problem with the environments, even in DS2. I know they wanted to do more with torches, the first try was somewhat a failure, second try in SOTFS was better but still. So in DS3 some environments are going to be darker, torches will be more useful. I mean really... it is supposed to be kind of a dead world of the dead. I just hope they have some better NPCs, like my solabro or onionbro. The arcs in DS2 were somewhat lacking, especially the risk reward where every important NPC you kill becomes accessible through a tombstone.

Dark Souls 3 Release Date, Two Collector's Editions leaked by retailer

release date of April 12, 2016...The Collector edition comes with the game itself, a 25-cm (about 10-inch) red knight figurine, hardcover art book, cloth map, soundtrack, iron-on patches, metal case, and collector's box

The Prestige edition includes many of the same things--the game, art book, cloth map, soundtrack, patches, and metal case. But in place of the red knight figurine, you instead get a 40-cm (about 16-inch) Lord of Cinder figurine and what looks like a different collector's box

$500 Prestige edition...

yeah that price is ridiculous...both figurines look nice but I don't think the Prestige one is worth $500...I bought the Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition with the knight figurine and I might pick up the DS3 Collector's one

Back