Dark Souls 3

I'm not watching any playthrough videos or videos of any sort...they're showing too much already and I want to go in as blind as possible...little gameplay changes, difficulty, graphics and the overall atmosphere I'm interested in hearing about but no more then that...I haven't watched the videos but it looks like they've already shown 3 boss fights and early gameplay footage...Dark Souls is a gaming experience like no other...unless you're new to the series try not to look at any spoilery videos and don't use any crappy summon helpers in the game unless you tried 20+ times solo...if you summon during your first few tries then you're not very good and the Souls games are not for you :D

people in Japan are lucky to get the game 3 weeks early...I understand why they are releasing it early in their home country but I wish the launch date was the same here in the USA (PC)

I think they tried too hard making the bosses too epic =) I would be happy with another Tower Knight

What a beautiful looking game! I love how there's characters returning from Dark Souls.

I still think it's flat out boring and a mistake to make the color palate SO SIMILAR. All previous Souls games (excluding BB) had a diverse color scheme. All colors in Dark Souls 3 just seem muted and gray.

Other than that...this game looks freaking fantastic and I can't wait.

In the past I always waited, I got DS2 when scholar came out. I am not waiting this time, this looks so badass.

In the past I always waited, I got DS2 when scholar came out. I am not waiting this time, this looks so badass.
Luckily I still have lots of DS 1 left to play so ill be waiting. Will likely skip #2 based on the lack of cool level design. From the reviews of #3 it sounds like ill feel things are moving way too fast since I'm so used to #1 and apparently its faster than both.

What do you guys think of this class ability system?

I would not jump the gun about DS2, the level design is fine and actually there's some very sweet looking areas and environments. Obviously DS1 is a classic but DS2 is like crack cocaine. I have played nothing else since June 2015.

Luckily I still have lots of DS 1 left to play so ill be waiting. Will likely skip #2 based on the lack of cool level design. From the reviews of #3 it sounds like ill feel things are moving way too fast since I'm so used to #1 and apparently its faster than both.

What do you guys think of this class ability system?

I don't know how it's even possible a person could like Dark Souls and not like Dark Souls 2 enough to "skip" it.

I love Dark Souls only marginally more than Dark Souls II.

Is the level design as good as Dark Souls? No, but there are some beautiful levels that are just really REALLY fun. The DCL is also incredible.

I don't know how it's even possible a person could like Dark Souls and not like Dark Souls 2 enough to "skip" it.

I love Dark Souls only marginally more than Dark Souls II.

Is the level design as good as Dark Souls? No, but there are some beautiful levels that are just really REALLY fun. The DCL is also incredible.

Dark Souls 2 suffers when compared to the other Souls games but by no means is it a bad game...even Miyazaki himself in every interview seems to disavow/ignore/downplay it...it should be played and there are some gameplay improvements but it's not on the same level as Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne...it's not even about the connected world level design (which I don't think is all that important), it's mainly because the gameplay, enemies, difficulty, atmosphere etc don't match the other games in the series...Dark Souls 3 from what I read is going back to its Demon's Souls roots more

If this game is super Dark environments I won't like it much Bloodborne was dark and dingy all around Dark Souls 2 was a breath of Fresh Air.

I thought Dark Souls 2 was a very good game. Not quite up to the level of Dark Souls 1, but definitely worth playing. It's still better than the vast majority of games out there.

Dark Souls 2 suffers when compared to the other Souls games but by no means is it a bad game...even Miyazaki himself in every interview seems to disavow/ignore/downplay it...it should be played and there are some gameplay improvements but it's not on the same level as Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne...it's not even about the connected world level design (which I don't think is all that important), it's mainly because the gameplay, enemies, difficulty, atmosphere etc don't match the other games in the series...Dark Souls 3 from what I read is going back to its Demon's Souls roots more

We're talking about top tier games here....Dark Souls 1 is like a 9.8/10 for me....where as Dark Souls II is a 9.5.

But seriously....how could you not enjoy the gameplay/enemis?? Dark souls II co-op/multiplayer is FAR better than Dark Souls.

Dark Souls II also has harder bosses, there are certainly some bad ones but there are some real friggin difficult bosses.

eh, the story and world are better in #1. The overall gameplay is better in #2. And the DLC is on the level of #1. It is very much worth getting

We're talking about top tier games here....Dark Souls 1 is like a 9.8/10 for me....where as Dark Souls II is a 9.5.

But seriously....how could you not enjoy the gameplay/enemis?? Dark souls II co-op/multiplayer is FAR better than Dark Souls.

Dark Souls II also has harder bosses, there are certainly some bad ones but there are some real friggin difficult bosses.

you're exaggerating what I'm saying...Dark Souls 2 is a great game...my point was that it only suffers when compared to the high standards the previous games set...I agree that if DS1 is a 98 then DS2 is a 90...nowhere did I say I did not enjoy the gameplay or enemies...read what I wrote instead of exaggerating my statements...I'm one of the biggest Souls fans there is...I agree that multiplayer is better in DS2 although I hate that the red eye orb invasion items require you to Duel...and I totally disagree 1000% with you that the enemies are harder...no way...DS2 thinks that grouping multiple enemies makes a game harder which is false...it only makes the game harder from an artificial standpoint...the enemies in DS2 are way too easy and it goes along with the theme of making it more 'accessible' to newcomers which is what the designers stated multiple times in interviews before the game came out

the 3-part DLC is the best part of DS2...tougher enemies, better level design and better enemy design...that being said maybe my time with the first game made the second game easier because of my experience...I can understand someone who never played any of the Souls games thinking that DS2 was difficult but no way would any sane Souls vet think that DS2 is better or harder in any way...Bloodborne was way better then DS2 although it had its faults as well (mainly the MP and lack of diverse classes)

We're about a month away and still no collector's edition that I can find in the US, anyone? I hate having to wait and I'm jealous of you guys that will be playing DS3 in April but at least there will be plenty of videos to watch.

you're exaggerating what I'm saying...Dark Souls 2 is a great game...my point was that it only suffers when compared to the high standards the previous games set...I agree that if DS1 is a 98 then DS2 is a 90...nowhere did I say I did not enjoy the gameplay or enemies...read what I wrote instead of exaggerating my statements...I'm one of the biggest Souls fans there is...I agree that multiplayer is better in DS2 although I hate that the red eye orb invasion items require you to Duel...and I totally disagree 1000% with you that the enemies are harder...no way...DS2 thinks that grouping multiple enemies makes a game harder which is false...it only makes the game harder from an artificial standpoint...the enemies in DS2 are way too easy and it goes along with the theme of making it more 'accessible' to newcomers which is what the designers stated multiple times in interviews before the game came out

the 3-part DLC is the best part of DS2...tougher enemies, better level design and better enemy design...that being said maybe my time with the first game made the second game easier because of my experience...I can understand someone who never played any of the Souls games thinking that DS2 was difficult but no way would any sane Souls vet think that DS2 is better or harder in any way...Bloodborne was way better then DS2 although it had its faults as well (mainly the MP and lack of diverse classes)

Didn't mean to offend, I was merely trying to not detour anyone from NOT playing DS2.

I am also a little confused about what the difference is between artificial difficulty and real difficulty. I didn't say DS2 had better bosses, I said they're more challenging.

For my first two playthroughs on Souls games, I always fought all bosses solo.

In Dark Souls one, I had difficulty with 2 bosses, Kalameet OS . I probably died a good 5 times on each of those bosses. Followed up by Capra and Artorias.

Now, Dark Souls 2....Man, I got my but kicked probably 20 times against the damn cats. The Frigid outskirts is a bitch of a level and boss.

Smelter Demon, Fume Knight, Alonne, Darklurker and about 3 or 4 other bosses are way more challenging in my opinion.

Are they more challening because there's three of them? Yes, but just because it's a "poor boss design" doesn't make it less difficult.

you are describing the DLC. Most of the bosses are simply cut and paste. You see the exact same movesets on one of the DS3 bosses. Persuers, lost sinner, the king, the giant, the rat king, ornstein #2. Still worth getting though.

Didn't mean to offend, I was merely trying to not detour anyone from NOT playing DS2.

I am also a little confused about what the difference is between artificial difficulty and real difficulty. I didn't say DS2 had better bosses, I said they're more challenging.

For my first two playthroughs on Souls games, I always fought all bosses solo.

In Dark Souls one, I had difficulty with 2 bosses, Kalameet OS . I probably died a good 5 times on each of those bosses. Followed up by Capra and Artorias.

Now, Dark Souls 2....Man, I got my but kicked probably 20 times against the damn cats. The Frigid outskirts is a bitch of a level and boss.

Smelter Demon, Fume Knight, Alonne, Darklurker and about 3 or 4 other bosses are way more challenging in my opinion.

Are they more challening because there's three of them? Yes, but just because it's a "poor boss design" doesn't make it less difficult.

almost all of the bosses you listed are from the DLC's...the DLC's are what made the game in my opinion...Darklurker and the Pursuer were the only real challenging bosses outside of the DLC's...as far as the first Souls game I thought it was more difficult- Capra Demon, Four Kings, Ornstein and Smough...and the DLC just added to it...as far as artificial difficulty it means that the game becomes harder only because there are multiple bosses versus just making 1 really excellent solo boss fight...those are much more impressive then 3 vs 1 fights...and a lot of the dual bosses were just doing the same movesets at different times...Ornstein and Smough was great because they both had unique/different move-sets which complimented each other...Lud and Zallen was hard but it's basically a cheat where they have 2 of the same bosses at the same time which makes it more difficult only because of the numbers and not because of the bosses themselves...when you fight Aava as a solo boss fight it's not too difficult at all...again DS2 is still a very good game but just not on the same level as the first in my opinion...I rank them as DS1--> Bloodborne--> DS2

almost all of the bosses you listed are from the DLC's...the DLC's are what made the game in my opinion...Darklurker and the Pursuer were the only real challenging bosses outside of the DLC's...as far as the first Souls game I thought it was more difficult- Capra Demon, Four Kings, Ornstein and Smough...and the DLC just added to it...as far as artificial difficulty it means that the game becomes harder only because there are multiple bosses versus just making 1 really excellent solo boss fight...those are much more impressive then 3 vs 1 fights...and a lot of the dual bosses were just doing the same movesets at different times...Ornstein and Smough was great because they both had unique/different move-sets which complimented each other...Lud and Zallen was hard but it's basically a cheat where they have 2 of the same bosses at the same time which makes it more difficult only because of the numbers and not because of the bosses themselves...when you fight Aava as a solo boss fight it's not too difficult at all...again DS2 is still a very good game but just not on the same level as the first in my opinion...I rank them as DS1--> Bloodborne--> DS2

I disagree. Most memorable boss fight for me in ds1 was s&o. I think I jumped out of my seat and cheered when I beat them.

Ds2 has some great bosses with a lot of character

As far as move set recycling that was even seen between demon souls and dark souls. That is the nature of the series. (And probably between demon souls and monster hunter)

Either way ds2 is a great game just as ds1. Imo the differentiator is not the bosses but the level designs.

For me I prefer the ds1/ds2 approach vs the demon souls blood borne nexus approach

Well, we can all argue with each other but we all know we'll be playing DS3 no matter what.

I do think DS had more originality with bosses and how the whole map connected was amazing.

I trust DS3 will be really enjoyable. I'm still hesitant on the color palate, it's too muted and similar. Maybe there's an Anor Londo type level somewhere in the game :)

Well, we can all argue with each other but we all know we'll be playing DS3 no matter what.

I do think DS had more originality with bosses and how the whole map connected was amazing.

I trust DS3 will be really enjoyable. I'm still hesitant on the color palate, it's too muted and similar. Maybe there's an Anor Londo type level somewhere in the game :)

Yup. I think DS1 had more originality than DS2 and some areas are pretty good (the painted world), but for the most part I felt DS1 is the most lackluster game in the series. I played the shit out of Demon Souls and I much prefer it to DaS1. But I think DS2 is a much better game than the first (except level design) and has far more interesting areas and boss fights (all of the DLC).

Bloodborne has the best PVE of the Soulsborne games no doubt, but overall I would still take DS2 simply because of the massive amount of content and better PVP/COOP/MP,etc.

That said I hope DS3 isn't locked to 30fps on the PC -- as all indications around the net is that it is.

you never kicked someone off a ledge?...that's always fun :D ...it's good to use against guys who constantly have their shields up as it breaks the shield defense...in Dark Souls 2 the kick evolved into a guard break move which I always found more difficult to activate using kb/m

I think I've kicked someone on purpose once in a Souls game. I booted one of the starting area jerks off the ledge in DS1 to get the Ring of Favor and Protection.

Dark Souls 3: Cowards and newcomers need not apply

it has weaved together the best bits from Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne, while offering far better graphics than Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin...The world structure of Dark Souls III reverts to that of the original Dark Souls—almost as if the non-Miyazaki produced Dark Souls II never happened...

Dark Souls 3: Cowards and newcomers need not apply

I'm glad they addressed the issue of Dark Souls burnout as that was my only concern...sounds like the same wonderful Souls with some visual and gameplay tweaks to keep things fresh...April 12th can't come soon enough...I'm clearing out some of my gaming backlog now (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and maybe Fallout 4 afterwards) as I know I won't touch any other game for awhile after DS3 comes out

Hate to be a bitch however I wish they would toss in an option for easier difficulty. I never finished Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 2 due to get beaten down enough to give up. I beat Dark Souls and Bloodborne after using cheese strats for gaining souls. Love the games, I just suck at them. I'll burn 75+ hours on DS3 even if I can't finish it.

Yup. I think DS1 had more originality than DS2 and some areas are pretty good (the painted world), but for the most part I felt DS1 is the most lackluster game in the series. I played the shit out of Demon Souls and I much prefer it to DaS1. But I think DS2 is a much better game than the first (except level design) and has far more interesting areas and boss fights (all of the DLC).

Bloodborne has the best PVE of the Soulsborne games no doubt, but overall I would still take DS2 simply because of the massive amount of content and better PVP/COOP/MP,etc.

That said I hope DS3 isn't locked to 30fps on the PC -- as all indications around the net is that it is.

Crap if it's only 30fps on pc that would suck. I might as well get a PS4 since BB and DS3 are the only games that interest me.

Hate to be a bitch however I wish they would toss in an option for easier difficulty. I never finished Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 2 due to get beaten down enough to give up. I beat Dark Souls and Bloodborne after using cheese strats for gaining souls. Love the games, I just suck at them. I'll burn 75+ hours on DS3 even if I can't finish it.
:jawdrop:

Why is this so shocking? I too must've played haides boss fight 20-25 times before finally giving the game a rest. You get to a point where it just eats away too much and becomes serious n you gotta put it down. Certain level of challenge is fun but... I don't play my games to hate myself :D

They have an easy mode. it involves summoning people, 2 in the former, 3 in sotfs....

I can remember summoning people for hours on Smough and Ornstein when Dark Souls came out, so much failure :D The first time I killed S&O I was summoned into someone else's NG+ game, and I didn't realize it was NG+ some was thinking "Holy ****ing **** this would be impossible solo". Then later on I went back and killed them with no issues solo.

FUCK games locked at 30fps. I can imagine someone will come up for a fix for that if the PC version really is locked. I'm not dealing with that nonsense.

I just wish there was an option to turn on manual saving. I've quit this game numerous times from being frustrated. Maybe an item that creates a load spot so it couldn't be overused...

But the tiresome part for me is the run back to the attempt. Like currently, I'm trying to progress in lost izalith, and I've died a few times to the headless demon on the bridge. The run back to try again takes a good 10 minutes... just to die again. A few of these runs and i'm just over it and would rather spend my time elsewhere. Same with 4 kings.

Last edited:
In DaS you can set the file to read only mode. Then exit to top menu and reload it to be back at your save point. In DS2 you have to exit and switch saved game files to the one at your save point. AHK scripts can simplify all of this.

In izalith there is a hidden bonfire near where the lava ends so it is not intolerable. In 4k you don't need to fight anything. There are two paths to the fogwall, one is to turn right before the stairs and drop into the courtyard. You just need to dodge 3 darkwraith to the fogwall. The other method is to climb the steps, roll down to where you kicked the ladder, climb that, run to the next building, jump the gap, get on the small bridge and drop to where you can walk into the fogwall. The ghosts you pretty much ignore in both cases. There are videos if the instructions are unclear :D

In DaS you can set the file to read only mode. Then exit to top menu and reload it to be back at your save point. In DS2 you have to exit and switch saved game files to the one at your save point. AHK scripts can simplify all of this.

In izalith there is a hidden bonfire near where the lava ends so it is not intolerable. In 4k you don't need to fight anything. There are two paths to the fogwall, one is to turn right before the stairs and drop into the courtyard. You just need to dodge 3 darkwraith to the fogwall. The other method is to climb the steps, roll down to where you kicked the ladder, climb that, run to the next building, jump the gap, get on the small bridge and drop to where you can walk into the fogwall. The ghosts you pretty much ignore in both cases. There are videos if the instructions are unclear :D
I'm familiar with the read-only tricks, but it's just a pain in the ass; there should be something built-in to the game for this IMO. Thanks for the tip on the hidden bonfire... i'll look for that. And i'll come back to your post whenever I get back to trying to beat 4 kings. There's so much i have yet to do in this game, it's scope is just insane. Someone mentioned the painted world in here, and it reminded me that I never did that either!

Why is this so shocking? I too must've played haides boss fight 20-25 times before finally giving the game a rest. You get to a point where it just eats away too much and becomes serious n you gotta put it down. Certain level of challenge is fun but... I don't play my games to hate myself :D

My recommendation would be to watch some videos. The real challenge are the move sets. Once you learn them they become much easier

For me the hardest boss so far has been fume knight. I spent 14 hours total trying to beat him. You summon he has more health :). He has a move set that punishes!!

S&O was still the most satisfying. In ng+ I even been O last which was no small task

Manus was pretty unforgiving as well

Just talking about it makes me want to play :) lol

The Fume Knight was most definitely an SOB. Luckily you can get back to that fight pretty quickly.

For me, the toughest fights in the series were Lud and Zallen, Kalameet, Artorias, Fume Knight, and the Bed of Chaos.
All but one of those involve a long-ass trek if you lose, too. That's sometimes worse than the fight itself.

eh, only the two cats have the shitty mandatory trek, where you are guaranteed to get fucked along the way. if you take summons then you can't stun kill the unicorns which makes it 2x unpleasant. The other stuff here you can run by.

They have an easy mode. it involves summoning people, 2 in the former, 3 in sotfs....

that's another thing I found annoying about DS2...they made it way too easy or 'accessible' as the developers called it by allowing so many summoned players to help you...what was it 3 or 4 players?...ridiculous...they need to stop that with in DS3...everything I'm hearing about DS3 sounds like they combined the best parts of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne

Back