Dark Souls 3

Wish I would have seen these posts sooner, I would have been in. PVE theif is a bitch, but PVP I only lose when facing multiple people...

So 183 hours in, I've come to realize this game is nothing but cheese, it gets obvious after awhile its only difficult because of the cheese. I almost swear it doesn't like to be fucked with, the second you get an advantage what do you know, mobs cheese the fuck out of you.

Good 'ol Dark Souls. It does a great job of creating a situation where you become frustrated and then it takes advantage of your frustration. It's actually pretty amazing sometimes. The way they place pits, bottlenecks, hiding enemies, etc. is awe-inspiring at times. That and timing enemy attacks where you have just enough time to try to heal but you end up not being able to by a fraction of a second.
It isn't as bad in DS3 (you can mash dodge to run to safety), but it's amazing and infuriating in DS1 and 2.

Mob placement, number of mobs, and the likes aren't my issues at all, those can be dealt with, I don't have an issue splitting mobs, or pulling, its the obvious cheese. Case in point, vs a player, I can stagger them, dodge behind them and backstab without them even knowing what hit them; not a scratch on me. I try the same maneuver on a mob that doesn't even have LOS on me, yet it aimbot spins around and slams me to pieces before I even hit my feet...Its obvious.

Eh, not quite. That shit can be figured out. Some guy had a no roll no shield boss fight series. Basically running past them and attacking from behind. The videos are awesome. So there is a lot of timing and technique involved. I am sure if it works for bosses it would work for mobs - one at a time though.

TolomeoR

example

Eh, not quite. That shit can be figured out. Some guy had a no roll no shield boss fight series. Basically running past them and attacking from behind. The videos are awesome. So there is a lot of timing and technique involved. I am sure if it works for bosses it would work for mobs - one at a time though....

in the video he should have 2-handed the weapon and made it an even easier fight

I think they have change the dynamics of that in DS3. It would not necessarily benefit elemental weapons and deplete more stamina and/or be a slower attack.

Still haven't played it yet but I love watching it on twitch. I was a big fan of part 2.

If you like either of the first 2 (or Bloodborne), you're about 95% sure to like this one. There might be elements of it that you don't like as much, but it's still a Souls game. They're all pretty similar at their core.

Eh, not quite. That shit can be figured out. Some guy had a no roll no shield boss fight series. Basically running past them and attacking from behind. The videos are awesome. So there is a lot of timing and technique involved. I am sure if it works for bosses it would work for mobs - one at a time though.

TolomeoR

example

Not the same type of scenario I'm afraid, hes reacting to Pontiff, which can be done, you can make a bitch out of the Dancer in the same manner, actually even easier since you can stay behind her a lot longer.

Im not burnt out or anything but it takes too much effort to launch the game..... and if I was going through that much effort, I'd rather play something I haven't beaten. >_>

Honestly though, .....24th? Who cares I'll be up in Deus Ex by then.

I'm still game for more DS3. I'll have to re-adjust after playing the Witcher again, but I enjoyed the hell out of DS3. Plus, their track record for DLC areas is stellar.

Dark Souls 3 update 1.07 scheduled for August 25th...here’s the changelog for update 1.07...in the usual From Software manner, some of it is pretty vague (“balance issues adjusted” and the like)...

• The length of the Hammer skill, Perseverance (reduce damage when activated), has been increased.
  • Delayed the movement cancel timing of certain medium shields upon guard break.
  • Removed the ability to parry when using the skills Blind Spot (Corvian Greatknife, Handmaid’s dagger) and Dancer’s Grace (Dancer’s Enchanted Swords).
  • Adjusted the shield penetration properties of Harpe, Shotel, Crescent Moon Sword, Carthus Shotel, Man Serpent Hatchet and Darkdrift.
  • Fixed a bug where sound effects did not play properly when using Lightning Spears in quick succession.
  • The attack cancel timing for rapiers equipped in the left hand has been adjusted.
  • Several balance issues have been adjusted.
  • Flaws have been fixed to improve performance

I'm already burnt out heh.

I burned out fast on DS3. I put several hundred hours into the sequels, but this one just didn't hold my attention. It was good and I enjoyed it, but the replay value just wasn't there. I'm waiting for all the DLC before jumping back in.

1st dlc release date = October 26

Dark Souls III First DLC Adds New Weapons, New Magic, And A PvP-Exclusive Map - Siliconera
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/2...ew-weapons-new-magic-and-a-pvp-exclusive-map/
Bandai Namco announced in Japanese video game magazines this week that Dark Souls III is getting its first DLC on October 26. It’ll feature new weapons, new magic, and a PvP-exclusive map. [Thanks, Hachima.]

In Japan the DLC will go for 1,200 yen, with a season pass for both the first and second DLC as a set for 2,000 yen. The season pass also includes an original PS4 theme. The screenshot from the magazine shows a new area covered in snow.

As far as the new weapons and magic go, there are images showing a great sword with colorless flames, magic that looks like an icy storm along with one that looks like a circular boomerang made of light. The new PvP-exclusive map is called “Immortal Competition.”

Read more at Dark Souls III First DLC Adds New Weapons, New Magic, And A PvP-Exclusive Map - Siliconera

Would have preferred a single large DLC vs. 2 separate ones, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. It's just tough to go back to DS after a break or after playing anything else.

No new boss or PVE area? I'd be disappointed.

Don't jump to conclusions based on some incomplete leaked details. Wait for official announcement.

*I'm sure* there will be new PVE areas and bosses. ;) If there's one thing Dark Souls DLC has never done, it's disappoint.

Last edited:
My expectation would be that there is at least as much PvE content as the prior DLCs, ie: 3-4 bosses.

The takeaway is the new areas and the release date. DS1 also had PvP content which was kind of a dud.

I think the bar is set pretty high with the previous games, so I can't imagine this one being a dud. The DLC areas in the first game are at least as big as Anor Londo or any other previous zones.
In the 2nd game, if you combine all 3 it's like an old school "expansion pack." They're probably 60-70% the size of the rest of the game and are among the most challenging areas and bosses that FROM has ever released.

the unicorns and kitty cats kicked my ass plenty of times. And I found soloing the ninja guy to be just way too much. The level design however was just superb, especially in the way the levels transformed as you unlocked them. Gotta say, I believe From probably has the best level design of any company.

the unicorns and kitty cats kicked my ass plenty of times. And I found soloing the ninja guy to be just way too much. The level design however was just superb, especially in the way the levels transformed as you unlocked them. Gotta say, I believe From probably has the best level design of any company.

Yeah, the cats were absolute murder on NG+. They might be the single hardest boss in all of Dark Souls. On your first pass they're a bit more manageable since you do about 30% more damage. It's possible to put the first one very close to death when the 2nd one shows up. In NG+ the best you can pull is about 1/2 his life.
Sir Alonne is rough no matter what...mainly just because you do such little damage to him and he does so much to you. If there's a way to do that fight that doesn't take forever, I never found it.
I can't recall exactly how I did it, but I killed both he and the Blue Smelter demon using nothing but poison arrows on NG+. Somehow I was able to kite around and let their health slowly drain away while I was as far away from both as possible. I remember doing it, but I have no idea what kind of trick I was using to pull it off. The last time I fought Sir Alonne I ended up just summoning 2 NPC's and letting them distract him the whole time. I've won every fight in the game sans summons, so I no longer feel obligated to do things the hard way :p

nice title 'Ashes of Ariandel'...I'm sure more details will be revealed this Wednesday...if it's as good (and large) as any of the previous Souls or Bloodborne DLC then it should be epic...From Software (and CDPR with the Witcher series) are the only developers that consistently deliver amazing DLC's

as far as previous Souls DLC- Lud and Zallen take the cake...hard as hell solo...blue Smelter Demon takes 2nd place...I never found Sir Alonne to be too difficult

hopefully no recycled bosses although From Software has a way of making even recycled bosses seem fresh and exciting...looks like Nameless King and Oceiros, The Consumed King were in that video but can't tell if it was just footage from the base game or new boss fights against them...either way I'm in for the Season Pass...too bad it's not coming out in September

looks like the woman in the DLC video might be painting the 'Painted World of Ariamis' from Dark Souls 1...you can even see the player walk up the same bridge...might be another throwback to DS1 which DS3 excelled at

From what I've played of Dark Souls 3's upcoming DLC, Ashes of Ariandel, at Namco Bandai's Tokyo office, this add-on fits From's latest mold of capitalising on nostalgia over originality, yet the details are so divine that every frame feels fresh...the snow theme isn't particularly original after From already crafted Dark Souls 2's frigid Crown of the Ivory King expansion and Bloodborne's chilly Forsaken Castle Cainhurst, yet the developer has created an atmosphere so rich that it still inspires that grand sense of awe at every turn

with nearly an hour of Ashes of Ariandel under my belt I can say that it stands up to the best of Dark Souls 3's content...

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel paints a world worth revisiting

Back