Dark Souls 3

I really really feel sorry for most Invaders these days. Gank Souls 3 indeed...

it's totally annoying that most players seem to be using summoning help...every single time I invade someone there's the host plus 2 bodyguard co-op partners...I'm surprised at how many players use help and suck at the game...the numbers must easily be over 50%...invading is not as fun in DS3 because of this...for my pvp fix I just use a Red Soapstone or activate someone else's...

I got the Usurpation of Fire 4th (secret) ending in my 2nd playthrough...the most complicated ending which requires you to do a whole bunch of things in a certain order throughout the game...they made some of the Achievements harder to get by making it not possible to buy or obtain all pyromancy, sorcery, miracles etc...you now need to join certain covenants and rank up to be able to get all the spells...too much of a grind
I think they wanted to encourage more online play with the magics, not institute a grind. But, yes, I started trying to farm for covenant items and in about two hours I only got 4 Vertabra Shackles to drop with 400 Item Discovery from the skeletons by the Carthus Catacombs bonfire. At that rate I'll have enough for rank 2 in the Mound-makers in 7.5 hours...
it's totally annoying that most players seem to be using summoning help...every single time I invade someone there's the host plus 2 bodyguard co-op partners...I'm surprised at how many players use help and suck at the game...the numbers must easily be over 50%...invading is not as fun in DS3 because of this...for my pvp fix I just use a Red Soapstone or activate someone else's...
It's the way they have the queue setup, and people are taking advantage of it. They use the Dried Fingers to summon three of their friends and that shoots them to the top of the invasion queue. So it's pretty much reverse griefing. Something needs to change in how that works. On the flip side I think invaders looking to grief with their Estoc deserve what comes to them.

Last edited:

I can understand the annoyance if you are looking to pvp, but invasions really.... in my experience people getting 2 summons for a boss are almost guaranteed an invasion. Most are PvE and you are looking to fuck up their day, so.... :)

I think they wanted to encourage more online play with the magics, not institute a grind. But, yes, I started trying to farm for covenant items and in about two hours I only got 4 Vertabra Shackles to drop with 400 Item Discovery from the skeletons by the Carthus Catacombs bonfire. At that rate I'll have enough for rank 2 in the Mound-makers in 7.5 hours...

wouldn't have been so bad but every one (pyromancy, sorcery and miracles) requires you to join a different covenant and level up in order to get all the spells within that category...for sorceries you need Rank 1 in Aldrich Faithful, pyromancy requires Rank 2 in Mound Makers and miracles requires Rank 2 in Warriors of Sunlight...even the achievement for getting all the rings requires all the +1, +2 etc rings so you need multiple playthroughs...at least all the gestures can be obtained in 1 playthrough but even that requires some work as you need to summon certain NPC's for certain fights and talk to certain people at the right time etc...I love the game but everything seems more convoluted then normal this time

Watched twitch.tv/Peeve's answer to Greatshield turtles the other day. It was hilarious. Claws counter shield turtles so hard. Granted, Peeve is good with pretty much anything.

I'm fine with the Dark Sword and Greatshields. Estoc is a bit silly, but maybe that's because most PvP'ers lack the skill to counter that spam.

If there's one thing I wish From Soft would add to DS3 is a cooldown for summons. It's really dumb when an already disadvantaged Invader kills off all the host's help only to have the host turtle around waiting for new summons to show up. Maybe put a hold on summoning while an invader is nearby?

I really really feel sorry for most Invaders these days. Gank Souls 3 indeed...

Yep invading is terrible. It's by far the worst in the series. Their is a weighted queing for invasions with more than 2+ players -- making most invasions ganks -- it's fcking dumb as shit and I'm not sure Miyazaki knows wtf he is doing when it comes to inv/PVP tbh. Need the B-team to come in and fix the many issues with this game. The weapon balance, PVP and Invasion mechanics,etc,etc.

Last edited:
Yep invading is terrible. It's by far the worst in the series. Their is a weighted queing for invasions with more than 2+ players -- making most invasions ganks -- it's fcking dumb as shit and I'm not sure Miyazaki knows wtf he is doing when it comes to inv/PVP tbh. Need the B-team to come in and fix the many issues with this game. The weapon balance, PVP and Invasion mechanics,etc,etc.

based on your earlier post in this thread it sounds like you just like to invade people where they are most vulnerable instead of actually wanting a good fight...

Dark Souls 3

not sure what kind of Souls fan you are but that kind of invasion is cheap and mainly for unskilled players

based on your earlier post in this thread it sounds like you just like to invade people where they are most vulnerable instead of actually wanting a good fight...

Dark Souls 3

not sure what kind of Souls fan you are but that kind of invasion is cheap and mainly for unskilled players

I don't like 90% of my invasions to be 3v1 or 4v1's -- especially considering everyone can heal now. It's a boneheaded design decision. And I am not even talking about how the host can continue to summon over, and over, and over.

DS3 is getting a lot of flak from the community right now because a number of issues and PVP/Invasions are one of them....and rightly so.

I don't like 90% of my invasions to be 3v1 or 4v1's

3v1 invasions are ok as long as the three are actually progressing through to the next objective, i.e. NOT camping around the areas where more help can spawn in if things don't go the host's way. It's the turtling and camping of the host that's ruining PvP, imo. I don't know why people react to invasions as some sort of insult. Get over it, it's part of the game. Not only that, but it's the wrong attitude.

especially considering everyone can heal now.

Both sides healing does drag things out more, no doubt. It's something those not new to Souls games are getting used to. However, there are counters to healing that make combat more exciting (i.e. Lloyd Talismans). That said, I would like to see From Soft tweak throwing in the game (on the PvP side), because as it stands, throwing anything is likely to miss 90% of the time. It's bad enough we have to deal with the wildcard that is lag.

Invaders are supposed to be sneaky, trolly, and cunning. It fits the whole theme of invasion. If an invader is simply camping a critical path, then the invader deserves to be outnumbered 3v1. Otherwise, it's on the host if they chose not to use the resources available (i.e. summons, seeds, etc.). Granted, new players are always going to be at a disadvantage to those seasoned PvPers. That's always been the case in any Souls game.

Fight clubs, ganking, and overall douchiness of players are what DS3 PvP has devolved to. You don't technically need a patch to fix all of that. If that's truly what 90% of the DS3 community likes, then fine. I'm apparently in the ten percentile that likes to defend Miyazaki's original vision of PvP. I haven't thrown in the towel just yet on DS3 PvP, but I'm definitely in the camp that would like to see some positive changes.

Last edited:
So far I haven't summoned anyone or been invaded...and I'm 100% okay with that. I never really cared for the PvP aspect of the game anyway. It always felt like a bad fighting game to me.

I found the Large Club last night and much to my chagrin, they nerfed the 2-handed power attack. It used to be a nearly instantaneous downward smash that floored anything short of a boss. Now it's a delayed jumping smash that's like a weakened version of F+hard attack. In the previous games the jumping smashes used to be borderline invulnerable, but not so much in this one. Enemies love to hit you out of the air.

I decided to go into NG+ I have no idea why cause hell if I want to spend hours on end for a 2nd play though =) I suppose if I wanted should of speced Warrior so I don't die as much then respec Mage later on 1st tutorial boss died with 5 Crystal Spears

Huh. I just saw an article about covenants and joining them. I guess I thought I was joining different ones by talking to the different leaders. I got some achievements that way. Seems you have to actually equip inventory items to join though. I can imagine going through the whole game and not noticing that :p

Invaders are supposed to be sneaky, trolly, and cunning. It fits the whole theme of invasion. If an invader is simply camping a critical path, then the invader deserves to be outnumbered 3v1. Otherwise, it's on the host if they chose not to use the resources available (i.e. summons, seeds, etc.). Granted, new players are always going to be at a disadvantage to those seasoned PvPers. That's always been the case in any Souls game.

Fight clubs, ganking, and overall douchiness of players are what DS3 PvP has devolved to. You don't technically need a patch to fix all of that. If that's truly what 90% of the DS3 community likes, then fine. I'm apparently in the ten percentile that likes to defend Miyazaki's original vision of PvP. I haven't thrown in the towel just yet on DS3 PvP, but I'm definitely in the camp that would like to see some positive changes.

you're right that invasions are supposed to be like that...I'm still more of an old school player though...when I invade people I still let people defeat any NPC enemies if they get in the way of our duel (unless they start to heal or cheat as then all bets are off)...I also like to bow before duels...invading and killing someone who's health has been cut to 5% because of the jailer NPC's in the game would totally not be satisfying to me...I think my biggest problem with the Souls series now is how many unskilled players there are playing...back in the day of DS1 there were many more skilled players and it showed...even when I got invaded at low levels by a guy wearing a Knight of Thorns armor set who kept rolling into me and killing me I gave the guy props for skill and originality

nowadays there are way too many bad/unskilled players who summon there way through the whole game or use hacks, trainers etc and they claim to be great at the game...you're not great, you suck...I can show videos of me solo beating all bosses and pvp'ing but when you ask these so called amazing players to show you some video they go silent...the purity of the game has been lost on the new generation...I'm glad the popularity of the game has gone way up and more players are playing and enjoying the game but something has been lost in the process...

Had lots of Nuking the Crap out of King Vordt of Borel Valley and the Dancer during summons :ROFLMAO:
I'm up to the Crystal Sage now I said I wasn't going to play the game anymore but I'm addicted. Soul level 102 or something.

I was summoned for Dark Moon covenant the other two guys defeated the invader is there a better way to get proofs of Concorde kept? Someone said kill Silver Dark Knights offline.
Players are saying it's kinda broken and they want a Blue eye Orb.

Last edited:
I still don't care for PvP. It's almost like playing the old Killer Instinct competitively. You can do it, but everything that's effective feels like a giant exploit.
If they were to make a PvP DLC, I'd pass.

I was summoned for Dark Moon covenant the other two guys defeated the invader is there a better way to get proofs of Concorde kept? Someone said kill Silver Dark Knights offline.
Players are saying it's kinda broken and they want a Blue eye Orb.
Yes, they drop from the Silver Knights, but the drop rate is abysmal. Expect to grind for several hours. Best place to do it is from the Anor Londo bonfire: kill the two on the stairs and the one to the right of the door at the top, then sword fragment or homeward bone back. I'd get your Item Discovery to at least 400 and bring a stash of Rusted Coins with you (can be bought infinitely from Patches). To get your Item Discovery up you can wear the Symbol of Avarice, Crystal Sage Rapier, and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +0/+1/+2. You could even use Rosaria to respec temporarily into Luck. You have to balance the latter, though, because you still need to kill quickly and survive the encounters.

It's too bad there is no bonfire in Gwyndolin's antechamber this time because that would provide for a better farming location...

To get your Item Discovery up you can wear the Symbol of Avarice, Crystal Sage Rapier, and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +0/+1/+2.

While technically correct in that these items increase your discovery rate, there are some caveats to a couple of items:
  • Symbol of Avarice slowly drains your health. Wouldn't be the same if it didn't.
  • You actually have to be using the Crystal Sage Rapier (i.e. just having it equipped is not enough) to get its effects. You can still offhand it for the effect though.

While extreme, one other thing you can do (in addition to what's already been suggested) is use Rosaria to reallocate your stats towards luck. Max out a weapon that scales with luck (Anri's sword scales well with luck). Then when you're satisfied, go back to Rosaria and reallocate your stats back. Caveats are that it takes pale tongues to reallocate and you'll piss off an NPC for messing with Rosaria (unless you already completed said NPC's side quest).

Darkmoon Blade summoning works exactly like Blue Sentinel summoning. Host (& you) must have the Way of the Blue equipped AND the host must be invaded before you can have a chance to be summoned to protect them. The problem here is that not very many hosts equip Way of the Blue, so it effectively seems like you never get summoned. Many see this as a broken mechanic currently in DS3 PvP. It doesn't help that the area where Aldritch Faithful (fyi, you get two proofs for banishing a single Aldritch blue bastard) invades is the hottest place in the game for Fight Clubs. With the way things are, you're effectively competing with every other covenant in the game to get into that queue.

I'm hoping in a future patch they'll fix this by moving Blue Sentinels & Darkmoon's to the top of the queue, especially when Aldritch are invading. But I doubt even that will fix things as long as fight clubs and gank squads are popular.

Last edited:
Is it safe to play online again, or are people still losing their saves/getting banned by invaders?

I still don't care for PvP. It's almost like playing the old Killer Instinct competitively. You can do it, but everything that's effective feels like a giant exploit.
If they were to make a PvP DLC, I'd pass.

I've never minded PvP in any Souls game since I don't rage if I lose, and yes the lag is annoying oftentimes since you don't hear the sound of a successful hit until 2 seconds later sometimes, but my experience so far in DS3 is the high prevalence of pussy slapfighters which are really annoying. Meaning the tendency for people to just not engage and roll spam, running and rolling away constantly like frightened deer scared to death of taking even a single hit, maintaining 100m distance. Like seriously, you INVADED and now you're too pussy to engage?

I get that its a tactic but it's lame, and tiring to deal with them.

Last edited:
Is it safe to play online again, or are people still losing their saves/getting banned by invaders?

Just because there was one troll out of hundreds of thousands of players didn't mean it was unsafe to play online. I certainly wasn't going to stop playing online because of some griefer Reddit legend.

Despite the fact that the majority of players out there are douchebags, I think PvP in DS3 is fun. There's fun to had from both invasions and protections. I just hope From Soft put out some arena DLC or something to migrate all these fight clubs away from certain areas. It's not that I hate fight clubs, but they are really stagnating the PvP experience for others. Get rid of all this ongoing friction and I think DS3 PvP could be the best of the series.

I've never minded PvP in any Souls game since I don't rage if I lose, and yes the lag is annoying oftentimes since you don't hear the sound of a successful hit until 2 seconds later sometimes, but my experience so far in DS3 is the high prevalence of pussy slapfighters which are really annoying. Meaning the tendency for people to just not engage and roll spam, running and rolling away constantly like frightened deer scared to death of taking even a single hit, maintaining 100m distance. Like seriously, you INVADED and now you're too pussy to engage?

I get that its a tactic but it's lame, and tiring to deal with them.

Weird. I haven't encountered anyone doing that. In fact, I haven't been invaded at all...mainly just because I've only been embered a few times. No summons or invasions yet.
In the previous games, I won some and lost some. I mainly had issues with lag making spells tough to avoid. I also got some "lucky" kills when clearly the in-close stuff probably caused the other player to spaz and eat a bunch of club smashes.
Even 100% legitimate contests with no lag just don't feel exciting to me. Most seem to come down to stunlock spamming, both players refusing to attack first, or just a whole lot of rolling around and trying to hit a weird angle. None of it is compelling to me. Spellcasting seems like a fun wrinkle, but it kinda forces the other player to fight lame to compensate. Ditto with a spellcaster trying to deal with a brute.
The whole PvP aspect feels like a series of Zangief vs. Dhalsim matches in Street Fighter. Ugly as hell and over quickly when someone finally gets bored or screws up.

Weird. I haven't encountered anyone doing that. In fact, I haven't been invaded at all...mainly just because I've only been embered a few times. No summons or invasions yet.

There's your issue. :) I'm Embered 99% of the time. The roll-spamming slapfighters aren't bad enough to turn me away from PvP altogether. There are some people looking for a good fight and you run into them occasionally. Some of the gesture taunting before a fight can be hilarious when you're staring each other down, and depending on what they do it can convey that they in fact have a sense of humor.

Like if they copy your gesture, or you press the left-bumper rapidly which raises and lowers the shield spastically (funny looking animation) and then they do it too. The little things.

How do scythes fare in DS3?

I ended up using a fully upgraded butcher knife just for Nameless King. He's the only boss that gave me a truly hard time.

Great Scythe is not as powerful as it was in DS1 but I used it as my main weapon for most of my DEX playthrough without any issues...I prefer the Chaos Blade but you don't get that till late game...the 3 toughest bosses for me in DS3 were Nameless King, Champion Gundyr and Soul of Cinder

Well, finally finished.

What a great game. Story was brilliant. There's sadly some negatives that I hope are fixed. I want more viable options in builds.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE BOSSES.....

I think you guys just suck :)

I'm only partly joking. I thought the bosses this time around were great. People kept saying there's this illusion of difficulty by adding multiple bosses? I thought the bosses this time around were better than DS2. Fights were interesting and fair, yet very challenging. I don't get people complaining. The only explanation I have is people are unwilling to die a few times to learn boss movesets and patterns.

I thought the bosses this time around were great. People kept saying there's this illusion of difficulty by adding multiple bosses? I thought the bosses this time around were better than DS2. Fights were interesting and fair, yet very challenging. I don't get people complaining. The only explanation I have is people are unwilling to die a few times to learn boss movesets and patterns.

I think you're referring to the complaints people had with Dark Souls 2...those bosses had artificial difficulty by adding in multiple enemies...Dark Souls 3 did not have this issue at all...the bosses from beginning to end were all pretty much perfect...even that Deacons boss where you needed to search out the 'boss' among that crowd was a nice change of pace and reminded me of the Rat Vanguard boss from DS2

I'm chugging away now that I've got some time to play over the weekend.
It could be the atmosphere, the speed, or the new graphics engine, but I'm still getting more of a Bloodborne vibe than a Dark Souls one.

The area near the Crystal Sage is a hotbed of activity. I started messing around with my soapstone as a Warrior of Sunlight. That Crystal Sage is a mindlessly easy boss, so I've probably helped 15 different people fight him. It's an east 3-4K in souls and there occasionally invaders that pop-in and keep things interesting.
So far I've done pretty well with invaders. Only lost one encounter and it's partially because of enemies (and a 2nd invader to boot).

I take it the the old protocol of not using flasks in PvP is no longer in effect. Seems everyone (even on 2 or more vs. 1) is using them now. I have no issue with it, but it definitely came as a surprise. At least they only have 4. Several of my encounters have been long wars of attrition as a result.

they can have up to 7. And I think a death gives an extra. so yeah, the fights can drag

they can have up to 7. And I think a death gives an extra. so yeah, the fights can drag

Stock yourself up on lloyd's talismans (for whatever reason they renamed it Undead Hunter Charm for DS3). If you've got a host and two buddies throwing them at the same time, one is bound to hit. Then it's a matter of keeping the invader from running away and waiting the effect out.

Sadly, you can only hold 5 of lloyd's between bonfires.

Last edited:
btw, if anyone does not know, they are awesome for mimes. you can farm for he headgear and kill them safely. Mimes got a lethal damage boost this game, so they buffed the effect of the charms.

looks like the 'official' pvp zones where tons of soapstone signs are always available is the area right outside the Pontiff Sulyvhan boss room and the High Wall of Lothric area

btw, if anyone does not know, they are awesome for mimes. you can farm for he headgear and kill them safely. Mimes got a lethal damage boost this game, so they buffed the effect of the charms.

I think you mean mimics. Mimes are far more evil and scary.

Just made it to the Kiln of the First Flame. (45 hours on my save)
This game is huge. The levels are so expansive. I still haven't explored Archdragon peak. I just found it today and summoned a mad phantom, who turned on me and I killed him, and then I was invaded with only 1 estus left, and died.

The levels don't have the same interconnected feeling of Dark Souls 1, but all of the map were quality. No Lost Izalith crap. The Grand Archives level was so much better than the Duke's Archives in DS1. Although Tower of Latria was scarier than Irithyll Dungeon.

After I beat it, I'm gonna take a long break before considering NG.

I started NG on DS1 but didn't get far before getting bored.

Archdragon peak is a pain if you don't know the level it was when I respeced back to cloth sorcery anyway.
I should of used Hidden more often.

Last edited:
to be fair DS1 is a lot smaller world so they have more flexibility with the interconnections. It is cool though that you can often see your death souls across the map. The levels in DS3 are just awesome though. Grand archives is probably one of the best ever. looking forward to the DLC

Back