Dark Souls 3

I cheated using a Trainer with the Dragon Slayer Armorer I really don't care =) Untill I got paranoid about the Bans I wasn't going to spend a few days stuck on this guy..
Rather than risking a ban, you should summon a spirit to help you. Lots of players are helping at almost every boss fight.

Got a few minutes to play over the weekend. Having a good time so far. It's as much Bloodborne as it is Dark Souls, which is okay with me. Just got to the midway point in the Undead Village, which is VERY Bloodborne-like.
Love that they toss the Claymore at you very early. After sticking with it for several passes of DS2, it feels like an old friend.
The knights tend to be a pain in the ass so far. I can typically cruise around wherever I want, but they're a real challenge. So far I've been blowing my special attack meter to break their guard and then unload. With no meter, I'm stuck using flying attacks, retreating, and then repeating. It's how I killed the "Old Master" guy, too. Enemies can hit you out of that a bit easier than before, but it's still strong and stuns foes.

I think Undead Village has the most secrets of any of the Maps.

VERY good to know. So far the only things I've found are a weird singing cage and another one that transported me to a new covenant.

With secret walls in this game, do you typically have to hit them with a weapon or press the activate button?

You can hit the Wall but there isn't a ton of them maybe a few dozen or a Dozen at Most I have no idea actually now many Hidden walls there is. Some of them you need to pull levers Undead Village is like a central Hub.

Luckily, that area is pretty easy. The Villagers all die in 1 shot and the wide sweep from the Claymore clears out groups nicely.
If I have tonight, I'll try and explore a bit.

Why do you randomly capitalize things? It drives me insane. Especially frustrating given that, other than that bizarre habit, I typically agree with what you say.

I think that's part of the German language? Either way, I'd bet english is just not his first language, which is totally cool, mad props to people that can learn more than one.

If it's anything like my machine at work, I have (non-wanted) spellcheck plugins that love to capitalize random words or correct what it thinks I wanted to say.

Amazing fight, and one of the biggest highlights of the entire series for me. Mechanics is interesting, but its the atmosphere that is outstanding.

Finally finished last optional boss (the hard one) and the game. Big props to devs making a great sequel and keeping the game challenging, at least for the casual pve players :)

there were quite a few visually impressive boss fights in Dark Souls 3...not in terms of difficulty but just in terms of sheer visual beauty on screen...Abyss Watchers, Nameless King and Pontiff Sulyvahn were stunning in terms of their style, use of color and overall coolness

I finished NG+ so I'm not afraid of spoilers anymore. I found it a disappointing, not a lot of differences.

Anyway, I started a new character to try the online aspects and is matchmaking broken or are there a lot of level ~15's trying to take on the Dancer?

the game is stingy with crafting materials... unless you take that path, then you get some significant early game upgrades

DS3 might have the best soundtrack to any Souls game...I'm glad they included the soundtrack for free as part of Steam pre-orders

the game is stingy with crafting materials... unless you take that path, then you get some significant early game upgrades
By the end of the game you can infinitely buy every crafting material except slabs. Infusion gems are a bit stingy, though. I didn't buy any crafting materials and by the end of my first playthrough I had 198 (max) Shards, 127 Large Shards, 88 Chunks, 32 Scales, and 24 Twinkling Titanite all from just drops and loot. And that is after upgrading 6 weapons and 4 shields to at least +9/+4.

Damn! In terms of weapons - are most of them viable for the entire game or do certain ones really start to "pull a Drake Sword" and suck after a while?

Damn! In terms of weapons - are most of them viable for the entire game or do certain ones really start to "pull a Drake Sword" and suck after a while?

I haven't personally noticed any huge fall-off this time around, but I don't think I'm super far along either. So not sure.

Did about 20 Runs with Nameless King Host died more then anything usually on 2nd part we beat him 3 out of the 20 times most of the time the Host of embers guy got blind slided by the attack and not knowing how the fight went.
Usually I ran out of Mana spamming Sorcery towards the end. This one guy nammed F@K the Police just hid the entire time while taking no damage he was using a Hack and just ran around clapping untill everyone died...

With the 1st Part of the Battle you can lock onto either the Dragon Head or the Nameless King you lock onto the Nameless king and do Soul Stream you can do lots of Damage I mean 1/4 of the Bar goes down everytime you cast the spell at level Soul level 94.

for my DEX character I used the Great Scythe +10 and it's just as good as it was in Dark Souls 2...even for pvp...although for DEX my preferred weapon is the Chaos Blade +5...for certain bosses you need a fast swinging weapon and playing a STR character with a heavy, slow weapon makes it more challenging...also make sure to infuse your weapons with Gems

I'm not far (at all) but I've always liked the Claymore. That strong attack stab reaches for a mile and is great in tight areas. Unless it eventually starts to suck, I can see myself sticking to it.
I just found my first large club type weapon (a giant spiked mace), but am not 100% sure if I really want to mess with it if a Giant/Large club is incoming with better scaling.

Giant weapons are ok but Sword and shield are better get a Dark Sword from the Two Henchmen before abyss watchers

I'm not far (at all) but I've always liked the Claymore. That strong attack stab reaches for a mile and is great in tight areas. Unless it eventually starts to suck, I can see myself sticking to it.
I just found my first large club type weapon (a giant spiked mace), but am not 100% sure if I really want to mess with it if a Giant/Large club is incoming with better scaling.

for my STR playthrough I used the Greatsword...seems like the same weapons that were good in the previous Souls games are just as good in DS3...the best STR weapon (Fume Greatsword) is not really viable until NG+ or late game NG because of the high STR requirements needed to wield it

Was invaded a few time while summoning for Boss fights once I start casting Magic the guy invading gets scared as hell =) Two Crystal Spears at they are pretty much toast. I learned not to cast Soul Stream for Invasion due to the time it takes to cast they can backstab.

Pretty much everything but Fists are viable in PvE. Just pick a weapon you like the moveset for. For PvP right now it's all Thrusting Swords (for R1 stunlock spam), Spears (for OP tracking) and Greataxes (to a lesser extent; for stagger ability).
How do you get the fully upgraded weapon Achievement
It has to be a regular weapon that goes to +10. You won't get it for a Transposed or Rare weapon that need Titanite Scales and Twinkling Titanite, respectively.

Giant weapons are ok but Sword and shield are better get a Dark Sword from the Two Henchmen before abyss watchers

You like the Dark sword? I've been farming a suit of Dark Armor and I have the sword upgraded to +3 but I've been using infused Uchigatana and the starting infused long sword +7. Is the Dark Sword better than those?

Is the Dark Sword better than those?
I haven't used it (beat the game with the starting battleaxe) but I've seen comments calling it the best weapon in the game (and some saying it should be nerfed), due to it's animations of a regular long sword but it hits like a great sword. I watched DSP use it for awhile and it did seem to stunlock enemies (ie break their poise) easier than most regular size weapons.

I've grown to like the large format clubs more than swords. Especially with the tweaks they made in Dark Souls 2.
The 2-handed R2 smash either stuns, floors, or instakills anything short of a boss. I also like being able to redirect strikes that would have missed in the first game. You can actually continue to control where your club smash will land after you've already started swinging it. Having a wide R1 is also nice.
If they kept that in this game, I'll almost certainly go back to a Large/Giant Club as my primary.

the Greatsword also re-directs swings mid-swing which I like...it tracks the enemy...it's great for pvp as well as people that aren't used to the tracking think they've dodged out of the way only to get smashed in the face

Rather than risking a ban, you should summon a spirit to help you. Lots of players are helping at almost every boss fight.

Agreed using a Trainer on dark Souls seems like it would kill the essence of what makes the game so fun. If a boss is particularly enjoyable I'll often hang around and help people complete them, I have like a hundred embers because I never use them. I just go do boss battle when I need I need to be kindled. I enjoy co-op the Old Demon King at the moment.

The only problems I'm really having is that

1. I cant find Anri or Horace. I remember talking to them at the beginning of the game but not since. I went back to each area they were supposed to be in and no bueno. I'm the Smoldering Lake area looking for horace since thats the point I'm at in the game.
2. Not really understanding what I'm supposed to do to progress in the Wolf Clan. I joined the covenant but nothing seems to be happening.

the great scythe was really good in DS1, imo not so much in 2/3
the claymore was good in 1/2 but the flamberge in 3 is lighter stronger and has bleed

the dark sword is all around great. I don't care to pvp but I win a lot of fights with it
with some decent stamina you can get off 6 hits which is a tremendous amount of damage

2. Not really understanding what I'm supposed to do to progress in the Wolf Clan. I joined the covenant but nothing seems to be happening.

I think you just wear the covenant thing (or is it a ring? I don't remember) and you should be auto summoned to kill people in the wolf area.

I haven't used it (beat the game with the starting battleaxe) but I've seen comments calling it the best weapon in the game (and some saying it should be nerfed), due to it's animations of a regular long sword but it hits like a great sword. I watched DSP use it for awhile and it did seem to stunlock enemies (ie break their poise) easier than most regular size weapons.

I'm a big fan of the dark sword. I could see people saying it needs nerfing but I don't pvp so I don't care.

the great scythe was really good in DS1, imo not so much in 2/3
the claymore was good in 1/2 but the flamberge in 3 is lighter stronger and has bleed

the dark sword is all around great. I don't care to pvp but I win a lot of fights with it
with some decent stamina you can get off 6 hits which is a tremendous amount of damage

Yeah all the Scythes are bad in DS3 and the Greatswords are worse than straight swords. I am sure a balance patch will fix this (From pls). The Dark Sword is def going to get a damage/scaling nerf and I think most of the straight swords will tbh. They outclass everything but an estoc/rapier (which i am sure will also get nerfed/tuned). Greatshields also need a nerf to their stamina drain. If someone builds into a greatshield they can be almost impossible to kill in PVP. Poise needs to be turned back on ffs -- this is really stupid From. Their are just a lot of balances that need to get done sooner than later.

Yeah all the Scythes are bad in DS3 and the Greatswords are worse than straight swords. I am sure a balance patch will fix this (From pls). The Dark Sword is def going to get a damage/scaling nerf and I think most of the straight swords will tbh. They outclass everything but an estoc/rapier (which i am sure will also get nerfed/tuned). Greatshields also need a nerf to their stamina drain. If someone builds into a greatshield they can be almost impossible to kill in PVP. Poise needs to be turned back on ffs -- this is really stupid From. Their are just a lot of balances that need to get done sooner than later.

Watched twitch.tv/Peeve's answer to Greatshield turtles the other day. It was hilarious. Claws counter shield turtles so hard. Granted, Peeve is good with pretty much anything.

I'm fine with the Dark Sword and Greatshields. Estoc is a bit silly, but maybe that's because most PvP'ers lack the skill to counter that spam.

If there's one thing I wish From Soft would add to DS3 is a cooldown for summons. It's really dumb when an already disadvantaged Invader kills off all the host's help only to have the host turtle around waiting for new summons to show up. Maybe put a hold on summoning while an invader is nearby?

I really really feel sorry for most Invaders these days. Gank Souls 3 indeed...

I got the Usurpation of Fire 4th (secret) ending in my 2nd playthrough...the most complicated ending which requires you to do a whole bunch of things in a certain order throughout the game...they made some of the Achievements harder to get by making it not possible to buy or obtain all pyromancy, sorcery, miracles etc...you now need to join certain covenants and rank up to be able to get all the spells...too much of a grind

Back